Steve Ballmer has described the next release of Windows as the company’s “riskiest product bet”. It is understood that Microsoft will feature deep cloud integration into the future OS to realise its vision of “three screens and a cloud”. One Microsoft employee recently said he believes Windows 8 will be the “most important Windows ever shipped.”
There is a lot of expectation from Windows 8, especially because it has to follow up on the highly successful Windows 7.
Opening this thread as a one-stop resource for all Windows 8 news, leaks, rumors, screenshots, device updates, etc.
Here is a List of Noteworthy New Features known so far. Will describe these in following posts.
- Factory Reset without losing personal info
- Network Backup, "History Vault"
- ISO Mounting (Link 6)
- Full PDF Support, "Modern Reader" (Link & Unlock)
- Hidable, dynamic Ribbon UI for Windows Explorer with a set of standard and context-specific functions. (Link 4)
- A real, yet to be seen tablet interface, "Immersive Shell" (Link 3)
- An "app store" with a new format (AppX) for applications resembling the format for Windows Phone 7. Rumored portability for apps between phone/tablet/traditional platforms.
- Aero Basic replaced with Aero Lite (A more full-featured but still low-resource version of Aero, compared to Aero Basic)
- New OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0) rumored to be EFI based.
- User controls and picture on the right side of the taskbar. Rumored LiveID integration.
- New configurable Welcome Screen based on Windows Phone 7 lock screen. Includes icons for power management, date and time, accessibility options, and audio controls for music playback. (Link 5 & Video)
- Rumored pattern-login for tablets.
- Automatic configuration of the color of Aero elements based on the desktop wallpaper. (Link 1)
- SmartScreen from Internet Explorer is now integrated into the Operating System
- Login and Lock screens will feature your desktop background (Link 1)
- Completely revamped Disk Cleanup (Link)
- Integrated USB 3.0 support
- Milestone 1 includes a HUGE memory optimization & UAC is faster
- Up arrow is present in Windows Explorer (Next to Back/Forward buttons: Link)
- Screen brightness adjustment on power options from system tray (Link)
- New hybrid-shutdown/hibernate mode that replaceses shutdown, faster startup
- Automatic Maintenance in the Action Center (not sure what this does other than ping time.windows.com, any ideas?)
- New touch-device friendly on-screen keyboard
- Portable Workspaces - "Portable Workspace is a Windows feature that allows you to run Windows from a USB storage device." <- Quote from within a file in the 7850 leak. (Link & Link)
- Task Manager replacement "Modern Reader" (Link & Unlock)
- Webcam Application (Link & Unlock)
More to come.
Source: winrumors.com and betaarchive.com
Edited by dipanlahiri, 27 May 2011 - 03:50 AM.