Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) chairman Mukesh Ambani spoke at RIL's 42nd Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Thursday.
According to experts, one of the major focuses of the AGM would be regarding Reliance Jio — the recently launched mobile telephony, broadband services, and digital services provider.
Here are the top announcements from the AGM:
1) Jio is dedicated to the Digital India vision of the prime minister, to my fellow 1.2 billion Indians and India.
2) India is 155th in the world for mobile broadband access, Jio will take the country to the top 10.
3) Jio has created an all-IP network. There is only language spoken on the Jio network. We will have a single digital mother tongue. The all-IP design also makes Jio's network the most expansive and future-proof network in the country. Jio is a data strong network built for the Internet from the ground up. By March 2017, we will cover 90 per cent of India's population. It is the first mobile network that is only 4G LTE.
4) All voice calls for Jio customers will be absolutely free. Roaming charges will also be zero across India.
5) The onboarding process will now be 100 per cent digital, using Adhaar-based EKYC, starting today from Mumbai and Delhi.
6) Jio apps bouquet will be available complimentary up to December 31 2017.
7) Effective rate of data would be five paise per MB, or Rs 50 per GB.
8) All complex telecom charges, like black-out days, eliminated.
9) Jio's services will be free of cost to all users from September 5 to December 31, 2016.
10) Jio's commercial launch will be on December 31.
11) Special offers for students with 25 per cent more data.
Source: Business Standard