Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
coolrajiv

Dot Rings Mobile Number Portability

^^oh! Then MNP is not going to a hit i suppose. Are you sure about it, kshah?

^^^

Yes, I read it in article. But circle change offered by operators. Why one would choose MNP route?

^^ I was of the opinion that once MNP comes in, we could port our number from any operator/circle to any other operator/circle. What is the problem in having circle transfer, when we have all the details at a central location. It should be easy. :unsure:

^

inter circle mnp also will come, but later.., not now.....

Atleast let start with Intra Circle MNP becuase 99% Users want that.

About Inter Circle MNP its too early to Predict and say

^^^

But circle change offered by operators. Why one would choose MNP route?

Can we change circle retaining same old number? :o

Is it possible withing same operator atleast?

For ex. I'll move from Rcom Orissa to Rcom Delhi, then I can retain same no. withot being in roaming?

No its not possible. Either Number will change or roaming will be charged. In case you take plan 995, roaming will not be charged and you will be able to use like in your home circle, but for your friends in the roaming circle, your number will be std. Consider this also... The bottom line is, you cannot have the cake and eat it too....

^^ wen one doesn't have the cake, how will they even be able to eat it..!! its like dreaming of a cake and dreaming of eating it too once u have it... :)

^^

Exactly, but then dreams can turn true also.... So never stop dreaming....

ekdum correct macha..!!

Mobile No portability in Chennai from Sep

Times of India

29 May 2009, 0533 hrs IST

CHENNAI: Aravind Kumar of Madipakkam, an animator, was frustrated by the quality of service offered by his mobile service provider last year and was looking to change. But, the thought of communicating his new number wasn't worth the effort.

Come September, he will be able to retain his old number and also change his service provider if the quality of service is not good. Chennai and Kolkata will be the first cities to opt for mobile number portability (MNP).

Simply put : MNP will allow a mobile customer to change his/her service provider for any reason, while keeping the old number intact, all for a small fee. "I was not very happy with my service provider for a long period, though things improved slightly over a period of time. But yeah, given a choice, I would shift my service provider, that too if I can keep the same number. If this number portability comes in, I will most likely shift my service provider," he says.

Number portability will be able to keep a check on the quality of service offered by mobile service companies and is also likely to provide a level playing field for all mobile companies, including new entrants.

Globally, number portability is prevalent in about 40 countries and the percentage of people who opt for this range between 3-5% of a subsciber base a teleco has. "In a country like India, the number of people who use mobile phones is phenomenal. So even if we see the same percentage levels here, it will convert into a large number of people using this facility," Ashok Sapra, managing director, MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions Pvt Ltd, a joint venture company of Telcordia Technologies Inc., told The Times of India.

MNP Interconnection has been awarded the licence to implement number portability services in Zone 2- South and Eastern India. "We have been mandated to implement MNP within six months from the date of getting our licence. So, we are looking at a time around end September. We are working with all the service providers here, DoT and The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) to ensure a smooth roll out," he said.

^^^

Good news atleast for us Chennai and also Kolkata subscribers at long last...

How will the ONNET packs work after MNP is introduced? Will it be stopped altogether? Imponderables many....

Hey friends any one have idea about how the number determination/identification will be controlled?

For ex, we have A2A packs or Rim2rim packs..

Then a person will be calling 93 number thinking its Reliance (and free for him) but he will end up paying bills for that too! :lol:

^^^

it will be a big confusion in finding the service provider by seeing a number.. they should launch a common (single) website where we can check the service provider and location[city or circle] of a number...

TRAI to issue consultation paper on MNP tariff structure

The Hindu

Sunday, June 7, 2009 : 1205 Hrs

New Delhi (PTI): Telecom regulator TRAI will float a consultation paper this week seeking views of stakeholders and experts on fixing tariffs for the mobile number portability service, which will be available after September.

"We will issue a consultation paper next week on the port and dipping charges of mobile number portability (MNP) service ... We will have to see the service is affordable to customers," TRAI Chairman J S Sarma told PTI.

Subscribers can change their 10-digit mobile number without changing the service providers by October when mobile number portable services start. As per DOT roadmap, MNP services is to take off by September 20.

In most of the countries where MNP is prevalent, the subscribers are not charged for availing the service.

Domestic service providers say they need to recover the huge amount of cost they will put in the MNP infrastructure of their network.

Sarma said afford ability will be a key consideration for MNP service and TRAI has to ensure that.

There is forbearance in telecom tariffs but TRAI is the ultimate authority of the tariff related issues. MNP tariffs would be decided by TRAI, he said.

Edited by savramesh

Regrding on-net mins, what the service providers can do is, they can play a small recorded voice mentioning the service provider of the person who is being called. This will give ample time for the caller to understand what the charge of the call might be(in case he has on-net free or not)

Regrding on-net mins, what the service providers can do is, they can play a small recorded voice mentioning the service provider of the person who is being called. This will give ample time for the caller to understand what the charge of the call might be(in case he has on-net free or not)

Other possibility is that one toll free number is given. whr u can call or sms the derired num for whch u want to know operator name.

e.g. 5xxxx. will be number. u can sms mobile number and reply comes as operator nane. circle name etc.

or u can call and punch the number. and it will prompt service provider nane

implications of MNP

Number portability may port away telcos' profits: Study

http://www.business-standard.com/india/new...s-study/360868/

With mobile number portability (MNP) expected to be operational by the end of this year, telecom service providers may have something to worry about if a study on the facility is to be believed. Two US-based companies, Telcordia and Syniverse, were earlier selected to provide solutions for MNP, which would permit mobile users to retain their existing numbers while changing their service from one operator to another.

According to a study by analyst firm Angel Broking, once the MNP facility is operational, mobile operators' Average Revenues Per User (ARPUs), the benchmark of a telecom operator's financial strength, would get adversely impacted by around 5 per cent. Telecom companies' margins would also drop by 100-150 basis points and even earnings per share (EPS) estimates would be pruned by 9-21 per cent.

In addition, telecom companies’ financials would be under stress, as churn rates (a customer moving from one operator to another) are likely to increase. At present, the industry has a 4-5 per cent churn rate for pre-paid subscribers.

An increase in subscriber acquisition and retention costs, higher capital expenditure to improve service quality and a likely drop in rates are also expected to exert pressure on margins and earnings growth, it said.

According to Meridian Telecom (makers of 'Fly' brand handsets) CEO Prem Kumar, even though MNP would be good for customers, this would pull down ARPUs.

At present, the ARPU of GSM (Global System for Mobile communication) users is Rs 220 and that of CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) players at Rs 111 per month. The ARPUs were as high as Rs 400 in 2005.

"There would be a lot of churn, from CDMA to GSM and vice-versa, with discarding entry-level handsets — that are network-locked — and graduate to higher levels. Subscriber retention would become a costly affair for mobile operators and this is likely to put pressure on their financials," he opined.

Bharti Airtel CEO (Mumbai, Maharashtra and Goa) Manu Talwar, however, is optimistic. "MNP would be detrimental only to operators without robust networks and customer service programmes. At least for the industry leaders, the churn would be in their favour as they have already invested a lot in infrastructure upgradation," he said.

Bharti Airtel, Reliance Communications, Vodafone-Essar and state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) are the three leading operators in the country. However, MNP has been never a success in foreign countries, like in the US, where it was implemented first.

You wait and see... MNP will be a big hit in India unlike US... though I dont think the telcos wud share my views... lol...

^^^ lol...

we cannot expect MNP to be live on time, as it is a very difficult integration task for our service providers.. what do u say ?

we cannot expect MNP to be live on time, as it is a very difficult integration task for our service providers.. what do u say ?

but easy process for all new operator like rgsm tata docomo and all new GSMplayers

I'm awaiting for MNP to be implemented ASAP. So I can retain my RIM number with TATA network cause no network coverage in our area for RIM. Promises from RIM not fulfilling.

one no portability will be there we will see better Retention plans from the operators. Opertaors like Biggest loosers will be Bharti-Vodafone and the Reliance CDMA

just wait and watch

I feel Bharti And Vodafone will be the biggest gainers!!

Subscribers from small operators may move to these bigger players..and 3G will play a big role in this as we know only few operators will be able to get spectrum for offering 3G services..