Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
coolrajiv

Dot Rings Mobile Number Portability

^^ correct... I really feel 3G would be one of the driving forces for pl to change an operator once mnp comes in..

GUIDELINES FOR MNP ISSUED

http://www.trai.gov.in/PressReleases_content.asp ...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/N...how/4722335.cms

NEW DELHI: Telecom regulator Trai on Tuesday unveiled draft regulations for the

implementation of mobile number portability (MNP), a facility

that will allow

consumers to change their telecom operator, but retain their phone number. The government had earlier said it would kick off MNP in metros and some states on September 20.

Trai has proposed that new mobile users be permitted to change their operators only after 90 days of signing up with their first service provider. It has also recommended that after changing their operator, consumers need to stay with the new telco for a minimum of 90 days. It has suggested that customers give a written undertaking to their existing service provider for switching to a new operator, which will then have to mandatorily carry out all checks, including identity verification, before the process can be completed. Trai has said the process must be completed within five days.

The regulator has also said customers, who wish to change their operators, will be charged a fee, which would be specified later after consultations with both the industry and consumer bodies. But several executives at telcos said the fee was likely to range anywhere between Rs 250 and Rs 400.

The Department of Telecom (DoT) has already appointed two companies — Syniverse Technologies and MNP Interconnect — to be the MNP service provider, manage day-to-day management and implementation, and also maintain the database of all numbers. While MNP will kick off in metros and category A circles such as Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Gujarat on September 20, the rest of the country will have access to this facility from March 20, 2010. Trai will finalise the

MNP regulations after feedback on the draft rules from the industry and consumer organisations.

The draft rules also state that the operators must telephonically inform the customer of the exact date and time the porting will happen. Post-paid customers will provide proof that there are no outstanding payments before they can change their operator, Trai added. The regulator has also clarified that the new operator that takes on the ported customers is not bound to repay any deposits made by the customer to his original service provider.

The regulator has also made it clear that customers may have to face a ‘no service period’ that can extend for up to a few hours, during which they will not be able to receive and make calls, as they are moved to a new operator. But in a bid to address concerns, Trai has said the new operator must provide the customer with a list of missed calls and messages sent during the ‘no service period’.

Market surveys have shown that 25-50% of mobile users in India are unhappy with their operator, and are willing to switch to another service provider, if allowed to retain their number.

^^^ I am really loving this..!!! but im concerned about many things... firstly, will mnp be started on sep. 20???

i have been trying to open the the draft guidelines since morning without success..

the error "The page cannot be found" is being shown ..did any body succed in opening the same?if so pl post here

all new mobile opertaor considering kerala as one of the premium circle to launch their services in first phase itself, but all the keraliates have to wait till 2009 March 10th to get the MNP previlage.

keraliates are u listening ??

i have been trying to open the the draft guidelines since morning without success..

the error "The page cannot be found" is being shown ..did any body succed in opening the same?if so pl post here

reply i got

ERROR ! ERROR ! ERROR !

Sorry ! Please try another link

try economic times link

Dear saket

the link i have posted here belongs to the press release section..since then till now i could not open the same..strange indeed .considering the imp of thepolicy documents..ther will be more details in the document

Edited by ravi_patent

Definitely MNP will be implemented from September 20th, the set deadline. But initially, I am not sure about the quality of service to be expected.

Definitely MNP will be implemented from September 20th, the set deadline. But initially, I am not sure about the quality of service to be expected.

Quality of service? Do you you mean the time taken?

Quality of service? Do you you mean the time taken?

Time taken for the change in the operator to actually be implemented on the number. The reason I say this is that initially many customers might opt for MNP and due to the huge rush, operators might falter in welcoming the new customers onto their network on time.

Edited by vvinayakpai

^^ I think you are right... Initially, the operators might have hurdles in welcoming and departing customers from their network...

for something new to work ... there has to be a time for people & the system to adjust for changes. Once thats done... its gonna be a cakewalk.

Exactly!!!!! I am of the opinion that MNP is +ve for all consumers. Wait for some time and experience the tariff changes as and when introduced by ur existing operator after the lunch of MNP. If there is no change in quality of service and quality of tariffs then go ahead and make a decision to change the operator.

^^ I think you are right... Initially, the operators might have hurdles in welcoming and departing customers from their network...

but new operator like docomo will make it easy, to grab maximum customer,

Mobile Number Portability May Be Delayed

Techtree, Jul 09, 2009 1815 hrs IST

If not now, then when?

The government's much-hyped mobile number portability (MNP) plan has hit a roadblock. (Techtree had earlier reported that MNP would be introduced in India in September 2009.)

Minutes of the meeting on MNP, exclusively available with UTVi, indicates that access service providers have indicated that MNP roll out in a phased manner is not feasible.

Other issues raised include:

- Problems in call routing and charging in the MNP scenario

- No pan-India readiness for MNP; and

- Difficult to meet the government set deadline for implementing MNP

There is also a technical clash between location routing numbers (LRNs) and STD codes in at least 200 sites.

Department of telecom (DoT), however, has asked all service providers to adhere to the timeline.

The government has set a time line for implementation of the first phase of MNP as September 2009.

^^^ This is India... I am loving it.. :(

i got already habituated with word deley, when it comes to india telecom be it 3g, MNP, XX, or YY

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_bad-debts-could-delay-portability_1276432

operators response to trai's draft regulations

Even as the government is all set to introduce mobile number portability this September, the industry has raised issues and concerns that could delay the launch.

Mobile number portability (MNP) is about retaining your phone number while you opt for another service provider within the same circle. Although it is widely believed that MNP rollout would make telcos focus on network and service quality, service providers and analysts have maintained that portability may not have any significant impact on any player in the longer run.

The Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), representing GSM companies, has pointed out to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) that the issue relating to bad debts should be taken into consideration. "While the subscribers benefit from porting, it must also be ensured that the subscribers pay their dues to the service providers. Hence there is a need to have in place a well designed mechanism which can enable the donor operator to recover its dues."

COAI has also sought clarity on how the issue of PCOs and toll free numbers must be handled under the MNP regulations.

Among the telcos, state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) has focused on the matter of porting between CDMA (code division multiple access) and GSM (global system for mobile communications) service providers.

"CDMA mobile connections are available only in bundled form with handset while for GSM connections the handset is not bundled with the connections," BSNL has said.

Therefore, the handset of CDMA mobile connection cannot be used with GSM connections, it added. Even a CDMA handset of one operator cannot be used with another CDMA operator.

According to BSNL, such locking of CDMA handset with a particular operator creates a hindrance for freely porting mobile numbers. "This vital issue has not been addressed in the current draft regulations even when the same was appreciated and discussed in various meetings. This issue needs to be immediately addressed. Otherwise, porting of mobile numbers would not be possible from CDMA to GSM technology and vice-versa," BSNL has told Trai.

An NGO, Consumer Care Society, has raised the issue of financial implications of MNP. "We do not agree that a subscriber should pay any charges at all, when the basic reason for opting for change of service provider will probably be poor service of the donor operator," it has said.

Also, the recipient operator gains a new subscriber without any marketing or customer verification expense, it added. "If indeed unavoidable, let it be nominal," the NGO has added.

Edited by ravi_patent

Less than 5% of subscribers may opt for portability

Syniverse and Telcordia, which have been given licences to set up MNP in India, have told TRAI

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2009/07/23/stories/2009072351741700.htm

Mobile operators fearing large-scale exodus of subscribers on the introduction of Mobile Number Portability can rest easy.

Syniverse and Telcordia, which have been given licences to set up MNP in India, have told the telecom regulator that only about 2-4.3 per cent of the total mobile subscribers base may port in the first five years.

This means that 25-50 million subscribers are likely to change their operators and retain their mobile number by 2013.

MNP will allow subscribers to change the mobile operator and retain their mobile number.

TRAI has pointed out that though MNP has been implemented in more than 50 countries, only 154 million people had ported their number by January 2008, which equals to only 4 per cent of global mobile subscribers and 13 per cent of those in countries that have launched MNP.

Impact of MNP

One of the reasons for the minimal impact of MNP in India could be that already 40 per cent of mobile users change their operators every year without worrying too much about their phone number.

Barring professionals who may have given out their mobile numbers to their clients and contacts, not many really attach much importance to their phone number.

“However, the other argument could be that if the porting charge is minimal or if the recipient operator is willing to absorb the porting charge, a substantial number of these subscribers may opt for porting of their mobile numbers,” TRAI said.

The other reason for MNP not inducing churn could be the life-time pre-paid cards issued by most operators, which offers low-cost connectivity to subscribers and, at the same time, locks them on their network.

One of the reasons for the minimal impact of MNP in India could be that already 40 per cent of mobile users change their operators every year without worrying too much about their phone number.

+1, count me in. I have been jumping ships without care or concern for my previous contacts. Those who want me, know where and how to contact me. Till this date I have never faced any problems in that niche. And yes, I am a professional :)

Edited by ipkonfig

Less than 5% of subscribers may opt for portability

I strongly believe initially the % may be higher and after sometime it may settle to less than 5 %

will the porting service providers be able to cope is a doubt in case of such estimates of only 5%, inrush will result in porting requests being pending