• Idea
    • Aircel
    • Spice
    • Reliance
    • TATA Indicom
  3. 3. Which Generation of Technology will you Prefer

• GSM
    • CDMA
    • HSDPA (3G GSM) (7 to 12 Mbps Download in 5 Mhz)
    • EVDO (3G CDMA) (Upto 3.6 mbps download in 1.25 Mhz)

DOT have again open the Option and very Soon TRAI will open a Discussion for

Mobile Number Portability

So i have Started this Topic to have a Poll of RimWebian What they will choose ad Operator and as Technology if the MNP wil be Instroduced in India Telecom Scenerio

Some Fact for CDMA

CDMA very Closely developed Technology by Qualcomm and was Very Efficient in Spectrum as Compared to GSM Only 800/1900 as Band and Easier Upgrade Path to EVDO in Same Bands upto 4G

Future =

EVDO Rev 0 = 1.25 Mhz = 800 Kbps Speed Download (InBuilt Tech CDMA and TDMA)

EVDO Rev a = 1.25 Mhz = 3.6 Mbps Speed Download (OFDMA - Orthognonan Frequency Division Multiple Access)

EVDO Rev b = 1.25 x 2 to 10 Slots upto 27 Mbps (OFDMA, MIMO Multiple Input n Multiple Output)

EVDO Rev c = 20 Mhz = UMB (Ultra Mobile BroadBand) = upto 80 Mbps Speed on Mobile (OFDMA, MIMO, SDMA) Multi Band, Multi Channel slot

GSM Old and Very Famous Technoly developed by GSM Association (Open Standards except some Exceptions) was Behind in Data Connectivity But when HSDPA will come it will be Ahead of EVDO in Respect, Only Technology which Supports Video Calling and Host of New Devices and Upgrade, Upgrade from 2G to3G is Cumbersome for Operator but then 2100, 850, 1900, 900, 1800 Mhz can have 3G HSDPA, in India 2100 will be used which have lower Penetration in Wall but as Less uses under one tower Better the CUstomer get the Total Bandwidth.

Future Upgrade Path

GSM, GPRS, EDGE, = 1.25 Mhz (43 kbps) (TDMA)

WCDMA = 5.00 Mhz = 380 Kbps (Already Absolute Tech.) (CDMA)

HSDPA = 5.00 Mhz = upto 7.2 Mbps (May be Introduced to India) (CDMA)

HSUPA = 5.00 Mhz = upto 12 Mbps (Next Keen Upgrade path for GSM in India) (OFDMA, CDMA)

HSPA = 5.00 Mhz = upto 28 Mbps (OFDMA, CDMA)

HSOPA = 1.25 Mhz x 20 = UMB = upto 70 to 110 Mbps (OFDMA, CDMA, MIMO)

So its been Crytal Clear that GSM is At par in All Condition with CDMA Couter part when 3G will be in Place

Edited by hetaldp

Hutch man ... esp if it is a corp plan ! :Sorprendido:

cheers

ashok

TATA any time ONLY TATA no other operator comes to mind port all my numbers to TATA

I would stay with reliance, no matter what. have no complain till date (except that since last 20 days Wap is not working :Sorprendido: ) . Only grudge is that they arent bringing in high-end handset here.

Reliance has the best network, atleast in Mumbai. Airtel s**ks big time. In moving train, airtel signal gives up while reliance goes on and on and on :Contento:

But must say, with MNP in place, services are bound to be more efficient and reliable, with all players trying to keep the customers at their end.

Cheers.

using airtel corporate from last 1 month so far no complain but my experience with airtel is very bad

I am fan of

Hutch's network

Airtel's Email support

Mtnl's Voice support (wait time is always less than 2 min)

Tata's Indicom tariff

and in 2G loves Gsm tech and ease of smsing

Have inclination towards EVDO becoz of speeds

Does Mnp cud offer this........ :Sorprendido:

Unless CDMA operators make their texting capablities as slick as GSM operators and have comparable handsets and facilities, with more flexiblity ...like for eg. RIM allowing Tata handsets and vice versa, I wouldn't want to touch CDMA again.

This would totally depend on individual choice. I'd prefer a single no. worldwide with single handset. I use Hutch now, I'd love it with Reliance if I can get the same no.(which is available) with same handset(this is not available). Presently, for Reliance, one has to have different phone while roaming the world.

Reliance as network and operator, very good network, good pricing and am thankful to them for bringing affordable mobile revolution in India.

GSM as technology because its wide spread. I have tough time when I have to roam internationally. Bag for handset, then Transfer your contacts to GSM handset, go to reliance for SIM card or caontact them to know status of their SIM etc. Also GSM has excellent handsets. Now GSM is catching up in data too.

I am using Reliance for last 2 years without much of a problem network is very good , sms though is a concern , no world class handset available no hard feelings :Contento: for Nokia CDMA handsets... I would switch to GSM when MNP starts .. Hutch my next operator & yes HSDPA when available would be cool .. EVDO though is quite irresistible :Sorprendido:

In year 2000 GSM were Offering Service but there was no Data Enhancement which Support Browsing

Soon after that in 2003 GPRS, WAP Started followed with Free Call Divert, Call Waiting, Dialer Call back tone, EDGE, Background Tones, Missed Call Alert

and everybody knows that CDMA were 2 year behind in all these. Missed call alert, Dialer Tones have been Introdueced too late.

Now already EDGE is there which Support Better Data rate and Always on Net without Disturbing the Incomming Calls etc.

Reliance and Other CDMA have Best Backend Technology but in Front end Device they have ZERO, and aldo in Value Added Services they are Far Behind GSM

And Lets HSDPA come it will Throw Stif Competetion to CDMA with Bettyer Data Rate and Congestion Less Traffic as it more Efficent Technology at par with EVDO Rev A.

Reliane have Better International Bandwidth with Good National Fiber Backbone but Still Airtel is Getting more Subscriber that Reliance this Directly Shows the GSM is more Prefered and Loved Technology.

It Love GSM and want to go to HSDPA

As far as technology is concerned, I prefer GSM/WCDMA/HSDPA over CDMA/EV-DO simply because of choices for handsets and features offered in handsets. There is not much options as far as CDMA handsets and providers are concerned.

From network provider point of view, I do not see any big difference but as far as Customer service is concerned, I can only say Reliance starts from the bottom. My father owns Tata Indicom and I have not seen him talking to Customer representative for the past 2 + years for once – since there was no need! I am not sure whether he was watching his balance or not to even feel that he was having problems with billing and other things.

As far as our TRAI-DOT, number portability all seem to be distant dream. I am not seeing any clear cut time frame even for the rollout of 3G services with DOT is blocking every initiative towards upgrading the network infrastructure. Network providers are happy milking the cows (I mean we all, the customers) without having to upgrade their network which means lots of money need to be spent.

^^^

I agree with ramchi on MNP. Trai will try to bring in MNP and then at the last moment when everything seems set for introduction, DOT babus (of course greased royally by all operators), will find some problem or the other and MNP gets banned once again.

Similar is the case with 3G. Its a classic case of pointing fingers. No one really wants to introduce 3G at all. Everyone (operators) seems content with 2G or 2.5G or whatever it may be called. Just for creating mass hysteria, all the players - operators, regulators, govt., subscribers tout about 3G or 3.5G or even 4G maybe 5G also. We boast of the best brains and technology in the world, but what is the outcome? Nothing, really. And no one cares, really.

My presumption is that 3G will take another year and a half to reach here, by which time the world would have moved over to 5G.

Anyway, I would prefer to hitch onto Hutch's bandwagon if MNP does kick in, more because I would have a greater choice of future ready handsets and moreover, Hutch network is still not so congested as Airtel or Aircel. I am speaking about Chennai only and not the nation.

Today DOT Clearly said it will finalise 2G Spectrum Auctions, 3G Policy and Mobile Number Portability in December 2007

Edited by hetaldp

Today DOT Clearly said it will finalise 2G Spectrum Auctions, 3G Policy and Mobile Number Portability in December 2007

ya hope so buddy we can get 3G by the end of 2008 or by mid 2009.

It may take another two years if not 5! All these talks means nothing which has been happening for the past 3 years or so. Only ministers getting changed, chairmens getting!

Nope it will Start in Mid 2008 in Circel A and End 2008 Circle B and Rest of India 2009

I dont think it will take so long. 'coz reliance wants GSM.

Hetal,

Is there a difference in SAR values of handsets made for GSM and CDMA or upcoming standards? that is one more concern for me.

Add for to that about eco-friendly technologies.

regards

-prakash

DOT have again open the Option and very Soon TRAI will open a Discussion for

Mobile Number Portability

So i have Started this Topic to have a Poll of RimWebian What they will choose ad Operator and as Technology if the MNP wil be Instroduced in India Telecom Scenerio

Some Fact for CDMA

CDMA very Closely developed Technology by Qualcomm and was Very Efficient in Spectrum as Compared to GSM Only 800/1900 as Band and Easier Upgrade Path to EVDO in Same Bands upto 4G

Future =

EVDO Rev 0 = 1.25 Mhz = 800 Kbps Speed Download (InBuilt Tech CDMA and TDMA)

EVDO Rev a = 1.25 Mhz = 3.6 Mbps Speed Download (OFDMA - Orthognonan Frequency Division Multiple Access)

EVDO Rev b = 1.25 x 2 to 10 Slots upto 27 Mbps (OFDMA, MIMO Multiple Input n Multiple Output)

EVDO Rev b = 20 Mhz = UMB (Ultra Mobile BroadBand) = upto 80 Mbps Speed on Mobile (OFDMA, MIMO, SDMA) Multi Band, Multi Channel slot

GSM Old and Very Famous Technoly developed by GSM Association (Open Standards except some Exceptions) was Behind in Data Connectivity But when HSDPA will come it will be Ahead of EVDO in Respect, Only Technology which Supports Video Calling and Host of New Devices and Upgrade, Upgrade from 2G to3G is Cumbersome for Operator but then 2100, 850, 1900, 900, 1800 Mhz can have 3G HSDPA, in India 2100 will be used which have lower Penetration in Wall but as Less uses under one tower Better the CUstomer get the Total Bandwidth.

Future Upgrade Path

GSM, GPRS, EDGE, = 1.25 Mhz (43 kbps) (TDMA)

WCDMA = 5.00 Mhz = 380 Kbps (Already Absolute Tech.) (CDMA)

HSDPA = 5.00 Mhz = upto 7.2 Mbps (May be Introduced to India) (CDMA)

HDUPA = 5.00 Mhz = upto 12 Mbps (Next Keen Upgrade path for GSM in India) (OFDMA, CDMA)

HDPA = 5.00 Mhz = upto 28 Mbps (OFDMA, CDMA)

HDPA = 20.00 Mhz = UMB = upto 70 to 110 Mbps (OFDMA, CDMA, MIMO, SDMA)

So its been Crytal Clear that GSM is At par in All Condition with CDMA Couter part when 3G will be in Place

InFact New Phone 2g or 3g have more Tough rules at SAR Front dont care FCC is doing nice Job to test<br /><br />RF of 2G Old Spcetrum<br />RF of 3G Spcetrum<br />Bluetooth Radio<br />Wifi a/b/g Radio<br />Material of Plastic and Paint used on Plastic (No Lead Paint allowed)<br /><br />Radio Intereference of any these RF with other RF Band Licenced or Unlicenced<br /><br />If you are so carefull then only buy Handsets which have passed FCC Regulation in USA<br />

Edited by hetaldp

^^^

Obviously Hutch could be the best. But the voice clarity and signal strength of RELIANCE is SUPERB, especially in Mumbai.

Hope as soon as Vodafone took over Hutch, we could get much more benefits and better services form this operator.

Regards.

Some Fact about Evolution path of CDMA

3G Evolutionic_blue_arrow_2.gifspacer.gif CDMA2000 has a robust, long-term evolution path that provides operators with significant technology performance, total cost of ownership and time-to-market leadership in the delivery of advanced mobile voice and data services.

• 1 year lead in the introduction of 3G, with CDMA2000 1X
  • 4 year lead in broadband wireless services, with CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0
  • 2-3 year lead in the commercialization of all-IP 3G mobile networks supporting VoIP, multimedia and advanced broadband services, with CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A
  • 1-2 year lead in delivering next-generation advanced mobile broadband services and the convergence of telecommunications, information technology, consumer electronics, and high-performance multimedia services, with Ultra Mobile Broadband

evolution-path.gif

Note: timeline depicts initial commercial availability of each technology. Those introduced beyond 2008 are under standardization and are subject to variability

EV-DO Rev A and Rev B incorporate OFDM for multicasting.

Data rates are based on 64 QAM and a 2x20 MHz FDD band allocation and are scalable with the number of carriers assigned. Up to 15 carriers, up to 4.9 Mbps per carrier.

Multiple modes supported: CDMA, TDM, OFDM, OFDMA, LS-OFDM. New antenna techniques used: 4x4 MIMO and SDMA. Leverages EV-DO protocol stack.

Data rates are based on 2x20 MHz FDD band allocation and 4x4 MIMO. Data rate depends on the level of mobility.

Upper range of DL peak data rates for Release 7 and Release 8 introduce enhancements is based on 64 QAM, 2x2 MIMO.

Initial requirements are based on OFDMA in the DL and SC-FDMA in the UL, FDD, 64 QAM, 2 TX MIMO in DL, and 16 QAM single TX stream in UL.

<a href="http://www.cdg.org/technology/3g_new2006.asp">For information on CDMA2000 technologies click here

Each evolutionary step of CDMA2000 leverages the inherent advantages of CDMA and introduces new technologies and enhancements, including OFDM, OFDMA, MIMO and SDMA, to expand network capacity, increase data rates, reduce latencies, and minimize the cost of delivering services, while preserving previous investments.

Today, CDMA2000 technologies offer the most voice capacity, highest data rates and lowest latencies of any wide area network technology. Building on this solid foundation, future enhancements will further strengthen the performance and economics of the technology and support the convergence of fixed, mobile and broadcast networks through the implementation of All-IP end-to-end solutions.

The underlying principle of the CDMA2000 evolution path is backward and forward compatibility which allows operators to seamlessly and cost-effectively upgrade their existing networks to support enhanced capabilities and advanced services. This backward compatibility is one of the key competitive advantages of the CDMA2000 evolution path and has greatly contributed to its commercial success around the world. Benefits of backward compatibility include:

• Rapid commercialization and deployment
  • Lower CapEx and OpEx, enabling an improved ROI
  • Investment protection
  • Service transparency for existing and new end-users

Like cdmaOne (IS-95), CDMA2000 standards utilize 2x1.25 MHz radio channels. Future enhancements, including CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. B and Ultra Mobile Broadband (UMB), will enable operators to aggregate up to 15 1.25 MHz channels in 20 MHz of spectrum to deliver higher throughputs and greater network efficiencies.

Source - Times of India e-paper

No. portability divides telcos

GSM & CDMA Operators On Opposite Sides Of The Ring On Trai Proposal

New Delhi: The telecom industry is at loggerheads again, with GSM and CDMA operators on opposite sides of the ring. And its not the usual culprit spectrum that is causing discord, but number portability, an issue with serious ramifications on India’s competitive landscape.

Number portability allows a consumer to switch operator for any reason without having to change the number that he currently carries. It is a perfect tool in the hands of the consumer, not only to exercise choice, but also to extract the best quality of service and price for his given needs. Several countries around the world follow this practice. Trai in March 2006 had recommended, after a detailed consultation, that India should usher in number portability in the mobile sector as it will enhance competitiveness.

Generally, existing players who do not wish to lose high paying customers to new entrants, oppose number portability. New entrants seek this regime as it allows them to lure high paying customers to their networks. More so, when operators are of different vintage. In India, metro operators entered in 1994, followed by two GSM operators in 1995.

BSNL entered in 1999 as the fourth GSM operator in 2001, followed by two CDMA operators in 2003. This opens up a nine-year gap between the first operator Modi Telstra, which launched in Kolkata in 1995 and Tata Teleservices, which launched some of its circles in 2004. GSM association COAI says number portability is a misplaced priority. “We have no objection to it as we feel CDMA players will lose even their meagre 30% market share if this is introduced,” says TV Ramachandran of COAI.

Undeterred by the GSM challenge, CDMA association Auspi has been quick to write to telecom minister, A Raja, urging him to usher in number portability at the earliest. “In the absence of number portability, there is no incentive for telcos to surpass the service quality benchmarks set by the regulator. Its introduction will stimulate better service so as to retain existing subscribers and attract new ones,” it says.

Assuring its support, Auspi says neither technical nor operational apprehensions should hold up the rapid implementation of at least mobile, if not fixed line number portability.

However, COAI is quick to point out that operators’ money is better spent on building infrastructure than on number portability. Consumer organisations disagree. They point out that number portability can be implemented within the annual advertising budgets by merely using a part of the advertising budgets of telcos. However, even if the government moves at lightning speed, it will be at least sixto-eight months before consumers can benefit from such a regime.

DIFFERENT CALLS

CDMA operators have urged telecom minister A Raja to usher in number portability at the earliest as it will help telcos to surpass service quality benchmarks set by Trai

However, GSM lobby argues that operators’ money is better spent on building infrastructure than on number portability

In March 2006, Trai had recommended number portability in the Indian mobile sector to enhance competitiveness.

CDMA Camp have started Number Portability and wriiten supporting letter to Communication Minister

Whats the Point are they wanna launched EVDO early with Host of Device and Plans to Attract Customer ????

I was in Impression that CDMA Camp will Deny and GSM Team will support MNP but the Picture is Different now !!!

May be subsidized handset is tool for them and spectrum efficiency gives them edge over GSM for air time charges. Ofcourse move is surprising and unexpected.