Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arun

Mumbai Police To Install Keyloggers In 500 Cyber Cafes

Mid-Day, Mumbai

August 29, 2007

Mumbai police will have access to new software connected to 500 cyber cafes in the city that will send them logs

The Mumbai police will soon have khabris deployed (not physically) at over 500 cyber cafes in the city. A new software will allows cops to swoop down on terrorists the moment a keystroke is pressed at any cyber café across the city.

Investigations into the recent Hyderabad and Mumbai blasts have revealed that the planning was done using the Internet especially, chat rooms.

In fact, it is a well-known fact that terrorists all over the world do not use paper and pen or the phone to communicate. Everywhere, all over the world, it’s the net.

Vijay Mukhi, President of the Foundation for Information Security and Technology says, “The terrorists know that if they use machines at home, they can be caught. Cybercafes therefore give them anonymity.”

“The police needs to install programs that will capture every key stroke at regular interval screen shots, which will be sent back to a server that will log all the data.

The police can then keep track of all communication between terrorists no matter, which part of the world they operate from.This is the only way to patrol the net and this is how the police informer is going to look in the e-age,” added Mukhi.

The Mumbai police are in dialogue with M/s Micro Technologies for procuring a software called CARMS (Cyber Access Remote Monitoring System), a powerful monitoring tool that seeks to curb cyber crime.

CARMS monitors web browsing, file transfers, news, chats, messaging and e-mail, including all encoded attachments. In a sensitive environment, CARMS can also be used to restrict user or group access to only approved external and internal sites, explained a company official.

All cyber cafes in the city will now need a police license to keep their business going. All cafes need to register at the police headquarters and provide details on the number of computers installed, type of computers and technical details like the IP address of each machine.

Privacy breach ?

A senior ATS official confirming the move said that those cyber cafes who do not meet the norms will be fined under the Bombay Police Act and the police also reserve the rights to take stringent action for violation of norms.

“The question we need to ask ourselves is whether a breach of privacy is more important or the security of the nation. I do not think the above question needs an answer,” said Mukhi. “

As long as personal computers are not being monitored. If monitoring is restricted to public computers, it is in the interest of security,” said National Vice President, People Union for Civil Liberty.

What next ? install video cameras inside hotel rooms ? :)

Hotel rooms???

Next in line is cameras in your bathrooms!

But the terrorist threat has become so serious that something has to be done and the lives of thousands of innocent people is more precious than cybercafe privacy. Atleast we should not login into our bank accounts or use credit cards online from cyber cafes...be careful on our part is what we can do.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Now almost every plan - good or bad - is made in a room. how about giving police right to spy on ANY room???

It's not a question of natiional security vs personal freedom, it's the question of how much are we willing to allow the system to interfere in our lives.

We have already crossed the point of no return...cellphones are but an invasion of our privacy and we have become slaves of technology... and this is the cost we have to pay. The govt can tap any phone if they feel it is reqd for the nation's security and ofcourse, permission is not sought from the end-user in such cases...

So dear the system has already invaded our lives and as i said, we have reached the point of no return.

Don't you know they are going to install "x-ray vision" cameras at major airports in India (already in use abroad) which shows naked images of people going thru' it! So what to do???

bawahaahahahaha.....abhi bhi time hai. Slaves of Redmond software, get ready to pay the price - WITH YOUR FREEDOM and PRIVACY :Confuso: This is ridiculous. Throw that Mukhi out and pull up the cops for even pitching such RIDICULOUS idea!

So whats next ??? u found a bomb under a seat in the train ? - Remove the seats .

Someone made a plan on the chat room from a cyber cafe - install a key logger

wow !! aint it splendid ?

Maybe a few days down the line we might be riding around mumbai on a bike - and one of those dumbwits might be busy watching us naked - thanks to the anti terrorist x-ray cams - and the same chap won't bat an eyelid when it comes to saying crap about Moral policing and what not!

Why not reverse the roles ... I'm very worried about terrorists so can I walk around carrying a x-ray cam ? install keyloggers in all the comps i sit and work on ? and since they had quite a bit of blasts happening at crowded places - force everyone not to carry a bag - no clothes and how about standing and travelling all the way ... u might conceal a bomb under your seat right ???

OMFG !!! are we getting plain stupid now ??? for all i know and care ... someone might be busy recording my keystrokes at this very moment - and hey i want them to please read all this ...

BTW .. .since the cops have already publicised it ... the terrorists might for all you know - use their laptops and prepaid GPRS connections to do the rest ...

LMFAO !!!

cheers

ashok

no... laptops are so costly, n terrorists r poor creatures, with all their money invested in bombs. so they will obviously be using cyber cafes n PCOs to communicate.The common man obviously has comp at his home, so he can log on at home if he is so damn protective abt his privacy...

are we turning into US now?

Just for your information guys, there are no such cameras available that can see through your clothes :lol: There are X-ray cams but they cant see you naked :NOTriste:

LOL ani !!! guess it is time for a meet again ... :lol: long time no see. .

and yeah ... that was good humor ... all money on bombs now !! :NOTriste: hahaha !!

and yeah ... u might not see me naked - but I prefer keeping my khamba inside my shirt- and no I do not want you to snoop around with any device to see what I have inside my clothes !! if it was to be shown - I would have proudly hung it outside - :confuse:

I've used x-ray cams before - and to my highly pervert brain - I did not have to imagine too much to guess what was where - whenever someone passed thro it :GirandoOjos: hehe

cheers

ashok

Thank God!! Its just for Mumbai. :lol:

@ashoksoft: sure we should arrange a meet soon. it's been a long time...

and SRK006, if in mumbai the system can interfere with common man's lives so much, then small cities better watch out!