Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
coolrajiv

Reliance launches Blackberry

Source - http://www.tech2.com/india/news/mobile-pho...n-india/15541/0

Reliance to Offer BlackBerry Services in India

Reliance Communications (RCOM) and Research in Motion (RIM), today announced the launch of the innovative BlackBerry wireless solutions for the first time on CDMA network in India. Available across 10,000 towns and 3 lakh villages, this will make it the most widely connected BlackBerry service in the country.

Being the first to launch the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone in India, Reliance Communication will now be able to provide its customers with the more data-efficient CDMA and GSM network that will also deliver high Internet speed and offer international roaming, enhancing the productivity of both enterprise and professionals on the go. Reliance is well poised to extend business applications through BlackBerry as is.

The BlackBerry 8830 is equipped with a full QWERTY keypad and aside from providing users with high-speed email and messaging capabilities, it’s also equipped with a built-in GPS navigator and trackball (Pearl) navigation feature. It has 64MB of inbuilt memory and provisions for expansion through microSD cards. The 8830 also has a media player for video and audio files, and supports video streaming. Reliance intends to take the BlackBerry solution a step further and provide customers with other solutions such as Internet-based online trading and Bloomberg Anywhere.

On the occasion of the launch, Prakash Bajpai, President, RCOM, said, “As the first player to offer BlackBerry World Edition smartphone in India, we are confident that our network will offer a superior value proposition to professionals on the move. Reliance is committed to provide world class Solutions on BlackBerry Enterprise server and we will take BlackBerry 'BeyondEmail'. Now for the first time in India we are launching BlackBerry service with applications such as Internet-based online trading and Blackberry on prepaid . Many more such solutions will follow suit."

Norm Lo, Vice President, Asia-Pacific, RIM added, “BlackBerry smartphones are designed to provide people with the best integrated mobile experience for email, phone, web browsing and other corporate and personal applications. RIM is very pleased to be working with RCOM to further drive the adoption of BlackBerry smartphones and mobile applications in India.”

Models launched include: BlackBerry Pearl (Rs 24,990), BlackBerry 8703e (Rs 22,990), BlackBerry Curve (Rs 24,990) and BlackBerry 8830 World Edition (Rs 33,990).

The BlackBerry 8830 and 8703e handsets will be available in 16 cities to start with, and will be expanded to other cities in phase II. RCOM has launched BlackBerry Pearl on its GSM network in a phase-wise manner, starting with Indore.

post-14950-1189429067_thumb.jpg

post-14950-1189429114_thumb.jpg

RCOM unveils blackberry

8830 World Edition -- Rs. 33990 (GSM roaming possible)

8100 Pearl -- Rs. 24990

8300 Curve -- Rs. 24990

8703E -- Rs. 22990

CHENNAI: Reliance Communications (RCom), part of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, has introduced BlackBerry solutions on its CDMA (code division multiple access) network.

The company also unveiled four BlackBerry handset models; including the ‘BlackBerry 8830 World Edition’ device.

Addressing newspersons here via a video-conference from Mumbai on Monday, Prakash Bajpai, President (Enterprise solutions), said RCom was the first to offer BlackBerry solutions on a CDMA (code division multiple access) network.

Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Essar are the other operators providing BlackBerry services in India, albeit on their GSM (global system for mobile communications) networks.

RCom had tied up with financial news major Bloomberg so that customers can access ‘Bloomberg Professional’ services, Mr Bajpai said.

He said the Reliance BlackBerry would offer Internet-based online trading capabilities, video streaming and be available in a pre-paid version.

The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition, priced at Rs. 33, 990, would offer both CDMA and GSM services, and thus make international roaming simpler, he said.

The other BlackBerry handsets launched include: 8100 Pearl (Rs. 24,990), Curve (Rs. 24,990) and 8703E (Rs. 22,990). The 8830 and 8703E models would initially be available in 16 cities and would be introduced in a phased manner across the country, Mr. Bajpai said.

Developed by Canada-based Research In Motion, the BlackBerry is a wireless handheld device that supports push email, Internet browsing and faxing.

soure :: http://www.hindu.com/2007/09/11/stories/2007091160321800.htm

Edited by kesav

I need the following questions to be answered for the benfit of RIMwebians.

1) 8703e supports EvDO as per the RCOM site. What is the version of EvDO? Is it Rev A or B?

2) Does 8830 support EvDO? If yes, what is the version?

3) Does RCOM has plan to support Built-In GPS? I think this feature is operator dependent.

4) Can these 2 sets be tweaked to be used in TATA network?

Edited by kesav

Forget about EVDO Rev a and Rev B is not Developed Fully by Qualcomm

Both 8703 and 8830 Support Rev 0 only.

RCom Still dont have aGPS Capability, But I think TATA have it for it Vehical Tracking Alliance with Some Transporter company,

Only 8703 can be tweaked to use in TATA after Loading PRL of TATA and Setting SPC = 000000

8830 is Hard nut to Crack at this time.

Reliance also provide vehicle tracking services. They have JV with Ashok Leyland.

EVDO is still a dream till Reliance deploy and DOT finalizes 3G policy. I dont know why to pay so much for blackberries in general and locked CDMA handset in particular?????

BTW from site dont you think Reliance is coming to GSM very soon?

Disadvantage of blackberry:

1. Just like windows OS, it does not allow call recording.

2. It is not as good as OS as Symbian, windows

3. Push mail is only advantage, which is available even on WM5 onwards.

4. Blackberry has projected its handsets as business phones hence polpular world over. far Lower Multimedia capability than Symbian and lower than WM5

Edited by kshah

can anyone help me on how to transfer my contacts from Nokia 6265 to Blackberry 8703e?

can anyone help me on how to transfer my contacts from Nokia 6265 to Blackberry 8703e?

I think using RWorld u can upload to RCOM server and down load to any set with a pass code which u need to set. U have to find out where is the phone book transfer icon in the Rworls which is an ocean

Why dont you use PC sync method? why do you have to rely on reliance serviers? when you can do with your desktop?

Why dont you use PC sync method? why do you have to rely on reliance serviers? when you can do with your desktop?

heres a gud compariosn of all the four models..

its a jpg file.. zoom and browse.....

'

heres a gud compariosn of all the four models..

its a jpg file.. zoom and browse.....

'

Sorry, but the jpg file is not loading. Cant see it. Could you please check. Thanks.

The GPS is locked by Reliance in India. So GPS will work ONLY in the USA. Also besides a camera, BB phones have decent multimedia capabilities. The Curve for instance has a 3.5 mm jack to connect your own earphones. Also ALL BBs come with a 312 Mhz Intel processor, so video playback is fast and smooth. But yes when it comes to camera phones, they fall waay behind other devices.

• Like 1

The GPS is locked by Reliance in India. So GPS will work ONLY in the USA. Also besides a camera, BB phones have decent multimedia capabilities. The Curve for instance has a 3.5 mm jack to connect your own earphones. Also ALL BBs come with a 312 Mhz Intel processor, so video playback is fast and smooth. But yes when it comes to camera phones, they fall waay behind other devices.

Black Berry carries your office if you are an executive. On line (always on) connection gives you pop ups or alarm sound when a Email comes. No other device other than BB or other HS producer who has BB connect offers this facility. It is simply the office Lap top when you are sitting in your office. Other PDAs cannot offer this ficility. It gives mail indication only when you connect or reload. BB doesn't need this. This makes a hell lot of difference. Camera is a bonus only which they included in two models I suppose. Music or video player can be installed since it is a Smart Phone.

Also, this always connect is possible since it is connected to your Office mail server thru BB server. That is why many travelling executives carry BB, where you can use it as a Lap top which keeps to connected to your office 24 Hrs. Even I phone do not offer this. They are high end multimedia phones not Office PC (BB) phone capable. For general public BB is a big zero. It is for executives. If our poor ministers use it things will move faster, but they should know how to use.

Edited by Raphellal

Gone are the Days that Blackberry was Preferred Business Device thanks fo Windows WM6 and Symbian 9.2 Series 60 Rev 3.1

The OS i said is more Advanced and you can have atleast 50 thousand software at your Service.

Blackberry even till the date Dont have WCDMA or HSDPA. And like that 8830 still only GPRS no EDGE and 3G in GSM (In fact in Roaming a Business Person will need more Badnwidth than in Offce).

HTC (O2, Imate, dopod, eten, UTStar PPC Series ) and its variant accounts for 78 % PDA Phone Sold in USA. and in Some Time Apple will come with Powerful tools with OS X Phone Edition and add on Software.

In Reliance Blackberry is use less untill the EVDO is not launched as 1x dont offer Seamless Always on Data like GPRS and EDGE does.

I use Free Push mail of Mail2Web.com in EDGE HTC Touch my Exprience is far Better than UTStar PPC6700 (even on my own built ROM)

Edited by hetaldp

Perhaps I always have belived that Blackberries are just example of good marketing. Symbian despite being 70% of population it is less rocognized brand and solution. There are perhaps only fraction of executives who can not wait for mails for 10 minuts too. Also there is no guarantee that push mail server will receive mails immediately.

There are more than 10 utilities atleast which can act as Connector to you Corporate IBM Lotus Domino Server or MS Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Onward which can Provide Push mail to Windows, Symbian and Palm Phones for Free. (Same our Office Mail can be Extended)

Why we have to Pay 1000 As Rental to Reliance only to have Emails on Phones haha.

as a user of blackberry, my understanding about blackberry service-technicalities apart - is that it does a very simple job. You give them your email id and password. and then like an efficient secretary, it checks your mail every fifteen minutes and when there is a mail it sends what really is an sms (but of a slightly longer length). Thus, you get the email. Since most emails may be of small size, you feel that you are getting the email. Also, since emails come on their own, you may feel it is an "instant" service while really it is not.

The above job can also be done by any windows mobile or for that matter any other phone having gprs and any email retrieval programme - you need to just change the settings so that it checks the email every 15 minutes. Only Blackberry uses lesser battery for this.

This in a nutshell is blackberry service - as I see it, a mere glorified secretarial sms service- :GirandoOjos: . It is only, I think, patent and other protection as also relatively lower number of users who demand this service that does not encourage many others to give similar services.

And I can also assure you that the service is frequently down - I know it because quite frequently i get an sms that the service will be down for so many hours.

just continuing to air a few more thoughts - beware of the blackberry devices also. Incidentally, I use a Nokia e61 but earlier I had blackberry models. There is almost nil outside servicing of this model. There is (or was about a year ago) no outside service possible with no technicians available. The accessories are almost impossible to get in the general market. I replaced the battery for Rs. 2700! If the sync cord or charging cord stop working, they too cost a lot to replace. You need to renew the warranty service every year for about Rs. 4000! Covers, etc. are also not easily available and as usual, the original covers cost a huge amount.

Also, since the Blackberry models use a different OS, none of your favorite programmes or games would work. I was used to playing the single pathetic game - bricks - using the side wheel.

My personal opinion is that blackberry is only a superefficient email device. For camera, music, games, and, above all, even voice, look elsewhere please.

There is no need for Indian customers obsessed with the name Blackberry. They need to come out of the mindset. This piece is expensive NOT because it is made of metal or advanced technology or totally new features etc…Since this piece is manufactured in North America where production cost is more and also it is being exported to India contributes more. If it were manufactured in China or some other country, it should probably cost 50%-60% less than what it worth today.

As some one mentioned buying such entirely new range of phones in India without proper service centers is a big risk.

Since BB phones are already outdated in terms of feature list or technology, resale value will be next to nothing.

I am not sure about its voice quality, speaker phone capabilities etc…

In my opinion, E61/E61i is far better equipped at half-the price with better service options.

No case one can compare gSM phones with any other phones. Also symbian is excelent OS and blackberry protocol is now supported by most OS. So why spend on blackberries. Ramchi rightly said, because it is manufactured in North America they are expensive. Why should we pay for their inefficiencies?

Getting Brand NEW Blackberry from USA of Sprint Networks

Lets Wait and Watch.

Comparing Blackberry connect of Reliance and other GSM service providers, I have a question. Given a choice to use one of the service, Reliance or Hutch, lets say, which one should I choose and why.

I am planning to buy a Smart/PDA phone. I have zeroed in on P990i from Sony Ericsson, E61i from Nokia, and the newly launched 8703e Blackberry by Reliance. I can only afford one, so which one should I buy. Blackberry connect charges are same for Hutch and Reliance. I just want Blackberry connect so that I can receive emails instantly, not that I cannot do without them, and I should be able to browse the internet on my phone anywhere with a decent speed.

Reliance Webworld express guy told me that EvDo is much more faster than normal GPRS/Edge. He even demonstrated internet browsing on his 8703e, and pages were opening as if they have been stored in cache memory. Is EVDO really available?

I am from Delhi and to my knowledge Hutch/Airtel are providing EDGE.

Please guide

Thanks

Puneit

Obviously, your comparisons are not on par;

SE P990i Vs E61i <> BB 8703e. You probably meant, BB 8830. In comparison

SE P990i Rs 18,000

Nokia E61i Rs 18,000

BB 8703e Rs 24,000

BB 8830 Rs 34,000

BB 8703e does not have expandable memory, you cant unlock, no camera, no multi-media bla bla... and still they have the courage to ask customers Rs 24,000!!! 8830 is EV-DO capable without Camera. Changing Operator will be quite difficult. EV-DO is not official and they expect it would take another 6 months to one year for complete rollout (minimum, time frame!) None of the BB has touch screen capabilities.

SE P990i has everything, I mean everything you ask for, except EDGE. It has decent Camera, QWERTY, Flip Keypad, Touch Screen.

Whereas, E61i, is NOT ONLY beyond BB 8830 in terms of features but also, tremendous cost advantage. It lacks Touch Screen capabilities, if that is going to stop you from buying.

I would go for SE P990i @ Rs 18,000 simply because I can change my operator at my will, it has 3G, good entertainment, messaging (including Blackberry connect) capabilities and it is a complete PDA phone in every little sense. It has many third-party solutions available.

Lets Wait and Watch.

Watch out for the Frequency range. In US they use some special frequencies which are not used by other countries, even in CDMA. If you are a good hacker, may be you can live with it.

Lets Wait and Watch.

Watch out for the Frequency range. In US they use some special frequencies which are not used by other countries, even in CDMA. If you are a good hacker, may be you can live with it.

:)