53 replies to this topic

#1 Deepak

Deepak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Handset: LG RD 2030

Posted 31 December 2003 - 01:54 AM

Is it possible to use normal SIM cards or only CDMA based ones in Nokia 2280 ? Is there any slot for entering the SIM card ?

#2 JAX

JAX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:35 AM

No, It's not possible to use normal GSM SIM cards on any CDMA mobile. Both works on different technology and are not compatable with each other.

But u can use R-UIM(Removable - User Identification Module) on Nokia 2280. It's something similar to GSM network's SIM on CDMA netwrork. There is a R-UIM slot under the battery on 2280.

#3 Chirag

Chirag

Go Dare

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Full Name: Chirag Dedhia
  • City: Mumbai
  • Network:Reliance GSM
  • Handset: GSM Handset
  • Handset - II: - Select Handset -

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:44 PM

Can u give more insight on this R-UIM ??? meaning, how do u actually connect to that?? coz i always felt that the slot in the Nokia handset should be for a GSM sim card, since i had heard from a close frnd that in singapore, hongkong, there are phones available for dual use(GSM as well as CDMA).... how far is that true?

Chirag Dedhia
'Feeling gratitude, and not expressing it, is like wrapping a present and not giving it.'

#4 JAX

JAX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:17 PM

R-UIMs are to CDMA what SIMs are to GSM. These are mainly used in Prepaid CDMA connections(not yet availble in India. To be launched soon by Reliance). It's common in China, Thailand, Kores etc. It's used similar to GSM SIMs.

Your Close friend is right about availablilty of Phones with support for GSM & CDMA. Models like Samsung's SCH-A790 support both GSM and CDMA.U can easily roam between GSM and CDMA networks. Can u ask ur friend about the about the model No. of a few such phones?

But Unfortunatly, Nokia 2280 is a CDMA ONLY phone. It cannot be used in GSM network.

Here is a picture of a R-UIM from China's Unicom
Posted Image

#5 Chirag

Chirag

Go Dare

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 06:46 PM

he doesn't rem the model nos. of such phones any more, because he had made a trip to that exhibition abroad a year back...

well so Nokia 2280 should be R-UIM enabled, because there is a slot of the sim to fit in, right?

Chirag Dedhia
'Feeling gratitude, and not expressing it, is like wrapping a present and not giving it.'

#6 JAX

JAX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 12:36 AM

...Nokia 2280 should be R-UIM enabled...

Its' R-UIM supported...NOT enabled. The Hardware of the 2280 available in India support R-UIM. but it's disabled by the software in the mobile. So unless the R-UIM slot is enabled by Flashing, the R-UIM slot is useless in the 2280.

#7 JAX

JAX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:34 PM

Converting CDMA mobile to GSM is one of the rumor going on for some time(Especially with Nokia 2280 due to the presense of R-UIM slot.).

As someone said somewhere ( :D ) , just to make things simple, Let me put it this way...Consider an FM radio and AM radio. Both works on diferent technology and different frequency. So u can't convert one to another without large modifications. Even if u somehow made the FM radio to tune to AM frequencies, U still won't be able to recive AM stations as they r on different modulations. Similar is the cas with CDMA and GSM. Both are just entirely different technology which cannot be converted to each other.

Have a nice time
JAX

#8 sunil_jok

sunil_jok

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • City: - Not Selected-

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:41 PM

well, would it be possible to convert if they used 2nd hand parts. i mean old mobile with network or some similar prob. and use the external items of cdma?

#9 JAX

JAX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:04 PM

Stuffs like case,Keypad, display etc. may be reused. But importan stuffs like pcb, processor etc. need to be replaced. So old mobile wih network or some simila problems won't be of any use.So I don't think it will be as economical as mentioned above. Even if really cheap/second hand parts were used, then the mobile will be lacking features.

I still belive this is just anothor rumor foating around. I have only heard of many who got a friend whose friend converted a cdma to gsm. But never seen someone who has converted a cdma to gsm

#10 AmanJ

AmanJ

Experienced Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Handset: Samsung SCH 191

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:06 PM

friends i would like 2 tell u that it's possible 2 convert cdma 2 gsm. but its possible only in the samsung black n white phone. in delhi the chrge is i think 500. and the slot on the back of the nokia phone is for RUIM card.

#11 Chirag

Chirag

Go Dare

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:35 PM

Aman,

We've heard enuf of all such things, but has someone really done it and is using such a phone? That is all we want to know!

Chirag Dedhia

#12 jigar657

jigar657

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Handset: Samsung SCH 191

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:37 PM

ENOUGH HEARD...BUT NEVER SEEN !!!

#13 parag16us

parag16us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Handset: Motorola C131

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:50 AM

i heard to change cdma mobile to gsm mobile by insert the chip of gsm.
is it write?

#14 Greens

Greens

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Full Name: Partha
  • City: Coimbatore
  • Network:Reliance CDMA
  • Handset: Samsung Fascinate

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:09 PM

Please don't believe all these nonsense. If somebody tells you that, ask him to show that. Don't allow him to spread the misinformation further.

****It's not possible to put use bullocks to drive an airplane****

#15 Surej

Surej

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Handset: Not a Reliance user

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

It's not disabled..it's just a different version...

there are 3 Nokia 2280

rh-17 -cdma800/amps

rh-17na -cdma800

rh-17r -cdma800,RUIM-support

The common one in India is RH-17 NA

and the Firmwares can be chaged from RH17na to RH17r..and I think the ESN for 2280 RH17 na wont work with the reliance RUIM ..coz the only way you get one 2280 is by taking connection and the ESN will be recorded in network..so you'll need to change the ESN ..and that's expensive...and in many countries it's illegal..

WBR

Surej

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users