Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Deepak

Convert CDMA phone to GSM phone or Vice-versa

No, It's not possible to use normal GSM SIM cards on any CDMA mobile. Both works on different technology and are not compatable with each other.

But u can use R-UIM(Removable - User Identification Module) on Nokia 2280. It's something similar to GSM network's SIM on CDMA netwrork. There is a R-UIM slot under the battery on 2280.

Can u give more insight on this R-UIM ??? meaning, how do u actually connect to that?? coz i always felt that the slot in the Nokia handset should be for a GSM sim card, since i had heard from a close frnd that in singapore, hongkong, there are phones available for dual use(GSM as well as CDMA).... how far is that true?

R-UIMs are to CDMA what SIMs are to GSM. These are mainly used in Prepaid CDMA connections(not yet availble in India. To be launched soon by Reliance). It's common in China, Thailand, Kores etc. It's used similar to GSM SIMs.

Your Close friend is right about availablilty of Phones with support for GSM & CDMA. Models like Samsung's SCH-A790 support both GSM and CDMA.U can easily roam between GSM and CDMA networks. Can u ask ur friend about the about the model No. of a few such phones?

But Unfortunatly, Nokia 2280 is a CDMA ONLY phone. It cannot be used in GSM network.

Here is a picture of a R-UIM from China's Unicom

GemplusUIM200.jpg

he doesn't rem the model nos. of such phones any more, because he had made a trip to that exhibition abroad a year back...

well so Nokia 2280 should be R-UIM enabled, because there is a slot of the sim to fit in, right?

...Nokia 2280 should be R-UIM enabled...

Its' R-UIM supported...NOT enabled. The Hardware of the 2280 available in India support R-UIM. but it's disabled by the software in the mobile. So unless the R-UIM slot is enabled by Flashing, the R-UIM slot is useless in the 2280.

Converting CDMA mobile to GSM is one of the rumor going on for some time(Especially with Nokia 2280 due to the presense of R-UIM slot.).

As someone said somewhere ( :D ) , just to make things simple, Let me put it this way...Consider an FM radio and AM radio. Both works on diferent technology and different frequency. So u can't convert one to another without large modifications. Even if u somehow made the FM radio to tune to AM frequencies, U still won't be able to recive AM stations as they r on different modulations. Similar is the cas with CDMA and GSM. Both are just entirely different technology which cannot be converted to each other.

Have a nice time

JAX

well, would it be possible to convert if they used 2nd hand parts. i mean old mobile with network or some similar prob. and use the external items of cdma?

Stuffs like case,Keypad, display etc. may be reused. But importan stuffs like pcb, processor etc. need to be replaced. So old mobile wih network or some simila problems won't be of any use.So I don't think it will be as economical as mentioned above. Even if really cheap/second hand parts were used, then the mobile will be lacking features.

I still belive this is just anothor rumor foating around. I have only heard of many who got a friend whose friend converted a cdma to gsm. But never seen someone who has converted a cdma to gsm

friends i would like 2 tell u that it's possible 2 convert cdma 2 gsm. but its possible only in the samsung black n white phone. in delhi the chrge is i think 500. and the slot on the back of the nokia phone is for RUIM card.

Aman,

We've heard enuf of all such things, but has someone really done it and is using such a phone? That is all we want to know!

Please don't believe all these nonsense. If somebody tells you that, ask him to show that. Don't allow him to spread the misinformation further.

****It's not possible to put use bullocks to drive an airplane****

It's not disabled..it's just a different version...

there are 3 Nokia 2280

rh-17 -cdma800/amps

rh-17na -cdma800

rh-17r -cdma800,RUIM-support

The common one in India is RH-17 NA

and the Firmwares can be chaged from RH17na to RH17r..and I think the ESN for 2280 RH17 na wont work with the reliance RUIM ..coz the only way you get one 2280 is by taking connection and the ESN will be recorded in network..so you'll need to change the ESN ..and that's expensive...and in many countries it's illegal..

WBR

Surej

hi everybody,

i too hav heard that rim nokia can convert to gsm as well. i too want to change it that way. where to contact? how to do it?

thanxs

ibrahim

CDMA Or GSM, This Phone Talks To Both

The Financial Express.

SAN DIEGO: In what will bring down the wall between CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) mobile services in India, global handset manufacturers will soon introduce a multi-mode mobile phone that will work on both types of networks. This would mean that subscribers of Reliance Infocomm and Tata Teleservices will be able to roam in GSM network areas.

CDMA technology pioneer and solution provider Qualcomm has already developed the multi-mode handset technology and some of the handset manufacturers like Samsung, which has already launched its model A-790 in some of the markets, have already started manufacturing and marketing multi-mode phones.

The multi-mode phones are currently priced at around $500 (above Rs 20,000) as they have high-end multimedia capabilities. However, the phone to be launched in India will be priced much lower as it will be developed specifically for the local market with fewer features.

According to a highly placed official of Qualcomm, CDMA operators in India are keen to launch multi-mode mobile phones so that their subscribers can roam in GSM networks as well. “One of the Indian CDMA operators is seriously looking at the option (of launching multi-mode phones) and is talking to handset manufacturers. The handsets will be targeted at high-end users like international travelers so that they can remain connected in pure GSM network areas. However, a possibility of low-end phones with basic features (like voice, short message services and dual mode capability) is also being explored by the mobile manufacturers,” a Qualcomm official told eFE on the sidelines of the ongoing BREW Developers 2004 conference in San Diego.

At present, multi-mode phones are not considered suitable for the Indian market.

These phones are expensive as they also have high-end multimedia features. However, Qualcomm technologists believe that a low-cost dual mode phone can easily be developed with only basic features to suit the price sensitive market in India.

Interestingly, the new multi-mode phones will also provide flexibility to the subscribers to switch operators across both networks if CDMA operators switch to SIM (Subscriber Identification Module) based mobile phones in future. Currently, there are two major barriers that are keeping the two networks and their subscribers insulated from each other in India. One, CDMA operators are not offering SIM-based phones, binding their users to their own networks. Second, there have been no multi-mode handsets available to the users, who had to re-invest in a new mobile phone to hop on to another network. As CDMA operators have been claiming that SIM-based phones would be offered soon, experts feel that India will finally have an integrated mobile network (from the user perspective) by the next calendar year.

hey dude ... go through the posts above... there's already a discussion reg this topic ... the card slot is for RUIM which is disabled and not for a SIM card as someone mentioned ... it cannot be converted to GSM as far as i know ... :D its just a rumour :clap:

Edited by Chirag

actually u can do so by inserting a chip . This kind of thing has been sucessfully implemented in nokia 2280 and samsung models.U can do this for 800 bucks in hyderabad,and 400 bucks in chennai( a friend told me so). if u open ur hanset and remove the sticker ucan actually see there is enuf space to insert a chip into.Well believe it or not guys but its totally possible.

Well believe it or not guys but its totally possible.

If thts so, then post the address of the places it can be done!

Well believe it or not guys but its totally possible.

If thts so, then post the address of the places it can be done!

What a coincidence chirag , its done in chirag ali lane in hyderabad.

can a dual mode phone (GSM & CDMA) be setup for RIM use?

or can a GSM dual band be converted to CDMA?

whichever is cheaper/easier ...

GSM has much better handset selection but I would like to keep my DAPO benefits.

I'm leaning towards a 1 M pixel camera phone.

can a dual mode phone (GSM & CDMA) be setup for RIM use?

or can a GSM dual band be converted to CDMA?

whichever is cheaper/easier ...

GSM has much better handset selection but I would like to keep my DAPO benefits.

I'm leaning towards a 1 M pixel camera phone.

Reliance does not allow otherphones to be used on their network other than the ones they provide.so u can do one thing change the sid to make the reliance tower detect ur cell.But since cloning and other topics are strictly no no in this forum i cant discuss any further.

And moreover u r a mOd City02.................

What a coincidence chirag , its done in chirag ali lane in hyderabad.

Does the entire lane converts CDMA fones to GSM fones?

uh!!

Comon dude, spell out the complete address yaar!

Please either submit the proof or stop discussing about the topic.

It's sickening, to hear these rumours again and again.