Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Deepak

Convert CDMA phone to GSM phone or Vice-versa

Please either submit the proof or stop discussing about the topic.

It's sickening, to hear these rumours again and again.

Hey i'm not here to impress someone . Well does something have to be sickening just bcos u dont believe it ? .Believing it or not is upto u but i have seen it . Lemme tell u something i saw a reliance samsung colur phone that got converted to gsm.

So wht stops u from spelling out the complete address??

Huh! You never know what's there for you in the closet. Remember that Technology is always changing!

When u change a CDMA phone to a GSM u are changing everything except the Keypad and LCD... every other component is changed... circuitry, antenna, transmitter... so Infact u are not changing but salvaging!

CDMA phones otherwise can never be used on GSM networks. They use a completely different protocol for communication. CDMA uses code divsion multiplexing, but GSM uses a combination of frequncy division multiplexing and time division multiplexing.

You can use CDMA phones in GSM network,

Please refer here

http://www.rimweb.com/forums/index.php?sho...c=1567&hl=r-uim

Greens,

You have not understood what you have written in your own post.

For international roaming, one needs to have a GSM handset, and RUIM is inserted in it in place of SIM. So the RUIM card actually works as a SIM card when used with a GSM handset.

Purpose of this is that while roaming internationally, the calls made to your RIM no. are forwarded, via Reliance gsm service, to your gsm handset in whatever country you are.

CDMA Phones can never be used on a GSM network... however an alternative is a UIM card (or RUIM) this is nothing but a GSM SIM card with a different name. The CDMA operators, when they issue this, just program this with the network information. So when u roam in another country (or terittory) the visiting network identifies this card as that given by "Reliance" and any call recieved by you is forwarded from Reliance to the Visiting Network. Remeber that this card has to be inserted into a GSM phone.

When u make a call, the Visiting Network just keeps a log of that and informs Reliance of the same for billing purposes. In addition to that they charge an additional serive charge for providing the "Roam On To" facility.

CDMA Phones can never be used on a GSM network... however an alternative is a UIM card (or RUIM) this is nothing but a GSM SIM card with a different name... Remeber that this card has to be inserted into a GSM phone.

hey dude ... Greens is right. you can roam with CDMA handsets having the RUIM provision (Telson and the GTRAN as of now) on GSM networks. if u wanna roam with a GSM handset, reliance provides you with a SIM card. check this out from their website :

Reliance Infocomm offers GSM International Roaming through the use of a GSM handset and a GSM SIM card or a Removable User Identification Module card (RUIM card). A RUIM card can be used on the Reliance IndiaMobile network with a RUIM Compatible handset - GTRAN or Telson handset.

again here they mention about the CDMA sets :
Carry the GSM SIM card allotted to you or your existing RUIM Card, in case you are already using the same with your GTRAN or Telson handset.

A very basic Question:

Has anyone successfully inserted a SIM card into the RUIM slot of NOKIA 2280. ?

Try it. It breaks...! :wacko: and Reliance does not issue RUIM cards. China does.

Please note RELIANCE is issuing R-UIM cards for international roaming.

Nope. They use different frequencies, bandwith, codecs, transmittion technologies, receiving technologies etc etc etc.

Moreover while GSM is open source so to speak - CDMA is proprietary stuff and will only work with Qualcomm processors.

after long time this topic has again cropped up.

Hey when u r speaking of converting CDMA phone to GSM..

Things which you can use in the gsm phone are only stuffs like keypad, battery etc.

The internal boards and all cannot be used..

They both are 2 edges. It isnt possible to convert a CDMA to GSM ...

:rolleyes:

no cdma handsets can be converted to GSM. i did my B.Tech project under Sceintist from CSIO. he hs done that. what he charges a lot to provide circuit diagram. he even showed me LG 2030 working Spice.

its better to discuss this toic in Technical section.

Edited by Saurav

Saurav, should I interpret your first sentence as...

" no cdma handsets can be converted to GSM "

or

" no, cdma handsets can be converted to GSM "

:D

Well, after seeing your following sentences, it seems to be the former one. But the thing is, he must have changed 75% of the CDMA components to convert to GSM.

That means for all practical purposes, the feasibility of a change is still negative, right? Saurav, perhaps you could give us a little more detail about this conversion?

NO, its possible with min hardware change. New hardware costs just 100. only labor charges are high. the person abt whom I talked above is not ready to do it for others. but says you can buy the project for 5000/- including student discount.

Can we have some more details please. Even contact no. etc. Really interested if it works. What kind of phone has he worked on.

Ps: This goes against all schools of thought, but Raman made petrol..!!

Can anyone tell me so as to convert this CDMA phone to a GSM phone?

as when i open the phone and remove battery i can see a slot for a sim card.

kindly advise :rolleyes::grin:

1. Buy the GSM handset LG-1600. (bcoz its similar to 6130 in form factor)

2. Open the casing and takeout the PCB.

3. Now open up your 6130 and remove it's board.

4.Fit in the GSM board inside your LG 6130 and close the casing.

5. Lo & Behold...You have a working LG-6130 GSM handset.

Just joking...actually Dear Vaze... Its not possible to convert a CDMA handset to GSM.

CDMA and GSM are two totally different technologies. Presence of a mere smart chip reader doesn't makes a phone convertible. The SIM slot that you see is for RUIM (Removable User Identification Module) and not SIM. Reliance used RUIM in GTran handsets, and Tata uses RUIM for Nokia Handsets too.

Samsung and LG have been working on phone models with capabilites of handling GSM as well as CDMA but those handsets still have to see the light of the market.