Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
cmahendra

Mobile Internet, Edge+gprs Is Much More Faster Than Cdma

Hi Guys,

I am soon shifting to Mumbai. Currently, I am using Reliance Mobile(2865) to connect to my PC and browsing on my PC though Bluetooth. The connections is seemless but u knw the speed, effectively its very less.

Now, I had purchased HTC touch which has EDGE.

Now in Mumbai, I am looking out for options which will make me browse web on my PC as well as on my Touch. Keeping this is mind, I think taking Airtel or Vodafone connection would be better !

I request you guys to help me out in making the decision !!

Edited by saurabh159

^^^

@saurabh159

My dear friend, I'm using Vodafone advanced gprs and its speed is quite good.

Regards.

hello cmahendra

I wanted to know if my handset nokia 6600 which is a GSM can be converted to a EDGE + GPRS enabled phone which u did!.

How u went about getting an EDGE +GPRS connection from AIRTEL is it the same GPRS connection which is currently provided by Airtel now?

IS the EDGE technology a phone (handset)specific. if so can a GSM phone be converted to a EGPRS??

or IS it some thing different. PLease tell me

:Decepcionado::Equivocado:

^^^

@kragu

My dear friend, if your phone supports EDGE then surely you can use EGPRS with your mobile.

Regards.

^^^

@kragu

My dear friend, if your phone supports EDGE then surely you can use EGPRS with your mobile.

Regards.

</div>

Hi Can u tell me if there is a way of changing the NOkia 6600 into an EDGE enabled phone as Mahendra did Anyone has some idea? Nokia Edge Phone holders in chennai. IS anyone there? How is the speed here using EDGE GPRS Users please reply. Mahendra (Who started this topic )says it is 247 KBPS in Mumbai which is superb.

I am a regular mobile office user it gives me some 20-30 kbps and a download at rate of 2.5 KBPS in starting and goes down to 0.98 KBPS.

Also In chennai i am using bluetooth connectivity from my mobile and the speed is only minimal. Please let me know if the speed is what send kbps + receivd KBPS if it is the case then speed in chennai using GPRS doesnot exceed some 15 (Both send + Receieved)....

Edited by kragu

People do talk big but when it comes to disclose what they did, they seldom. I have doubts if handsets standards can be upgraded by tweaking as it may require upto hardware level changes.

There are very few people who will say that in GSM you get good data speed. 40kbps you should be happy with. BTW 247 kbps or 156 kbps in CDMA is BURST speed in ideal condition.

^^^

@kragu

Regards.

</div>

Hi Can u tell me if there is a way of changing the NOkia 6600 into an EDGE enabled phone as Mahendra did Anyone has some idea? Nokia Edge Phone holders in chennai. IS anyone there? How is the speed here using EDGE GPRS Users please reply. Mahendra (Who started this topic )says it is 247 KBPS in Mumbai which is superb.

I am a regular mobile office user it gives me some 20-30 kbps and a download at rate of 2.5 KBPS in starting and goes down to 0.98 KBPS.

Also In chennai i am using bluetooth connectivity from my mobile and the speed is only minimal. Please let me know if the speed is what send kbps + receivd KBPS if it is the case then speed in chennai using GPRS doesnot exceed some 15 (Both send + Receieved)....

But Edge surely is a higher technology than CDMA as it is experienced by users. I too experienced RIL CDMA 1X modem and speed does not exceed 30 kbps .. It is said by the topic owner the speed increasets and is stable at 247 KBPS which is possible in EGPRS and it is as advertised.

I bought the CDMA yesterday only and there is no use in it . But they say speeds are high upto 153.6 KBPS But it is not . Sometimes send+rec put together in a sec is not more tha 20 KBPS and that too in night at free after 10 pm..

Please anyone using edge phone + airtel network in Velacheryy, Adyar area in chennai please help....

what is the speed u are getting i am geting some 10 - 20 kbps in night . Is EDGE service available in chennai and in velacherry??

Please anyone has done some tests reply chennai folks

Edited by kragu

[Well I am using AIRTEL with GPRS and I have a corporate plan for GPRS which charges ONLY 200 bucks a MONTH FOR UNLIMITED GPRS .

I do have a Reliance number , and I needed GPRS,email and surfing on the handset. Got a E61i and an airtel connection.

Reliance doesnot offer GPRS on the handset, infact the helpline people dont even know whats GPRS (sic ...

With Airtel postpaid Its a Breeze and CHEAP. DIRT CHEAP for 200 bucks a month I can surf unlimited on my handset as well as use the E61i as a Modem connectedto my PC .The speed would be OK , but you dont complain when you pay only 200 bucks a month.

Had a HTC Touch earlier but changed it to the E61i for some practical reasons.

Nokia the netwrok is better

Battery Life is better when compared to the HTC TOUCH

Screen looks Better in sunlight in E61i ...HTC TOUCH is poor readability

Its much easier to SMS and dail with the E61i then with the HTC TOUCH

Agreed HTC TOUCH is a fabulous phone , but due to better functionability I changed to Nokia E61i

Reliance doesnot offer GPRS on the handset, infact the helpline people dont even know whats GPRS (sic ...

^^^

@Sunil

My dear friend, Airtel is GSM and Relaince is CDMA. GPRS is supported with GSM only thats why Reliance can't offer this service and this might be the reason that Reliance's CC people doesn't know about the GPRS.

Regards.

I use prepaid AIRTEL GSM in chennai and i activated mobile office. At, neelankarai, i got a speed of 42Kbps download and 112Kbps upload as per www.speedtest.net. I am USING N82 and the browser rocks :rolleyes:

I use prepaid AIRTEL GSM in chennai and i activated mobile office. At, neelankarai, i got a speed of 42Kbps download and 112Kbps upload as per www.speedtest.net. I am USING N82 and the browser rocks :rolleyes:

I tested Egprs of airtel and found the download at rate of means i can download at the rate of some 6 KBPS (Kilo Bytes). IS this your case? I used nokia 6233 to download using E_GPRS (tested mobile office of airtel in home) at velacherry. Meanwhil is 42 kbps (kilo bits or Kilo bytes??)

Hey mates...

i am airtel gprs user since 3-4 yrs ...

the speed is the best i can say coz in just 249 rs no other provider gives u unlimited surfing...with avrage speed of 13-14 kBps ...

i download abt 35-40 mb per hour...

well let me tell u not only edge supported cell phone is needed for good (edge) speed but ur local network sud also provide edge service at ur area. (the tower which ur cell using must have edge). then only u can get edge speed...

if ur cell is not edge enabled and network provide edge then u get only gprs speed and vice versa...

so for better speed u need edge enabled handset with ur local tower (opertor) edge enabled too...

with my nokia 3230 i get 13-14 kBps but with nokia 5300 it reach upto 25-26 kbps... so if ur network supports edge then u need a edge handset and enjoy unlimited surfing with airtel...

:)

Hey mates...

i am airtel gprs user since 3-4 yrs ...

the speed is the best i can say coz in just 249 rs no other provider gives u unlimited surfing...with avrage speed of 13-14 kBps ...

i download abt 35-40 mb per hour...

well let me tell u not only edge supported cell phone is needed for good (edge) speed but ur local network sud also provide edge service at ur area. (the tower which ur cell using must have edge). then only u can get edge speed...

if ur cell is not edge enabled and network provide edge then u get only gprs speed and vice versa...

so for better speed u need edge enabled handset with ur local tower (opertor) edge enabled too...

with my nokia 3230 i get 13-14 kBps but with nokia 5300 it reach upto 25-26 kbps... so if ur network supports edge then u need a edge handset and enjoy unlimited surfing with airtel...

:)

Thanks mate. 35 MB a nhour is good but this i didnot achieve usuing my phone it gives only 3 to 4 KB per second. BTW what is ur city

i am also using airtel GPRS and speed is not that great . Using edge enable phone and tower in velacherry i can get only average download speed of 5 kBps

Thats it..

Edited by kragu

^^^^ bro, which cell phone u r using ? did u check speed with other cell phones like n series or any new cell phones?

^^^^ bro, which cell phone u r using ? did u check speed with other cell phones like n series or any new cell phones?

I asked u which city you are in I am in chennai and using nokia 6600

i am from jamshedpur...

well with 6600 u get GPRS only coz it dont support EDGE...

i was using 6600 with bluetooth 2 yrs back and i also get the same speed...

use edge cell phone like 6020 or 3230 or any n series

if u local tower(network) supporting edge then u defiantely get speed of 13-14 kBps constant...

I am using N series and I get no more than 10KBps. Mostly the speed is <5KBps. on AirTel Mobile Office.

I tested Egprs of airtel and found the download at rate of means i can download at the rate of some 6 KBPS (Kilo Bytes). IS this your case? I used nokia 6233 to download using E_GPRS (tested mobile office of airtel in home) at velacherry. Meanwhil is 42 kbps (kilo bits or Kilo bytes??)

bits per second obivious :)

I am getting speed of up to 200kbps with BSNL NIC card now!!!

with 250 per month

HI.

I am new to this forum.. I have read the thread completely... thanks to u

I have been using Airtel unlimited GPRS for my laptop.. I am getting a decent speed of 120 Kbps and downloads of 20 kbps... but I heard some people told they are using bluetooth to connect to phone modem..how ?

I am using cable which I got for my mobile... please somebody help my out how can I use my phone to connect to my laptop without using cord.. thanks in advance

Sreedhar Siliveri

Chennai :-)

Oh My GOD

I am here after several months and saw this thread at top in this category and still hot hot and hot.

Ok here is something more I wanna tell. I am now using O2 Atom Life with Windows Mobile Professional 6 operating system. The EDGE GPRS (i'm in mumbai) is rocking and in O2, there is a simple clickable program called INTERNET SHARING you need to click and VOILA....... the internet starts flowing in your PC/LAPTOP with no additional setting. You may connect O2 to your pc/laptop either by Bluetooth or USB. I prefer USB for no hassles.

Anyways I already mentioned before my AIRTEL EDGE GPRS is rocking and gives me smoother and faster UNLIMITED internet both on O2 (MOBILE DEVICE) and my LAPTOP.

Just an update the cost of EDGE GPRS is not changed and its still Rs.15 per day (charged on daily basis). I save by not using GPRS on few days when I dont want internet.

Do you know how?

Send "GPRSACT" to 222 and internet starts immediately and you are charged for the day.

Send "GPRSDEACT" to 222 and internet stops and you are not charged until you reactivate it.

Usually it will be Rs.450 for whole month @Rs.15 per day but I pay only around 200 to 250 by deactivating when I dont need. Isn't that cool. AIRTEL ROCKS :clap:

Few may ask me why I am putting AIRTEL Internet Information here? Its simply to compare RELIANCE GPRS with AIRTEL GPRS. Or you can say CDMA to EDGE. Hope reliance pals are reading this and it may have positive effect in future. Who know what will happen in future even to GPRS, coz 3G is just round the corner. So lets keep discussing.

C. Mahendra

Edited by cmahendra

Oh My GOD

I am here after several months and saw this thread at top in this category and still hot hot and hot.

Ok here is something more I wanna tell. I am now using O2 Atom Life with Windows Mobile Professional 6 operating system. The EDGE GPRS (i'm in mumbai) is rocking and in O2, there is a simple clickable program called INTERNET SHARING you need to click and VOILA....... the internet starts flowing in your PC/LAPTOP with no additional setting. You may connect O2 to your pc/laptop either by Bluetooth or USB. I prefer USB for no hassles.

Anyways I already mentioned before my AIRTEL EDGE GPRS is rocking and gives me smoother and faster UNLIMITED internet both on O2 (MOBILE DEVICE) and my LAPTOP.

Just an update the cost of EDGE GPRS is not changed and its still Rs.15 per day (charged on daily basis). I save by not using GPRS on few days when I dont want internet.

Do you know how?

Send "GPRSACT" to 222 and internet starts immediately and you are charged for the day.

Send "GPRSDEACT" to 222 and internet stops and you are not charged until you reactivate it.

Usually it will be Rs.450 for whole month @Rs.15 per day but I pay only around 200 to 250 by deactivating when I dont need. Isn't that cool. AIRTEL ROCKS :clap:

C. Mahendra

wonderful. but is the SMS free or charged?

I have been using Airtel unlimited GPRS for my laptop.. I am getting a decent speed of 120 Kbps and downloads of 20 kbps... but I heard some people told they are using bluetooth to connect to phone modem..how ?

I am using cable which I got for my mobile... please somebody help my out how can I use my phone to connect to my laptop without using cord.. thanks in advance

Sreedhar Siliveri

Chennai :-)

If you really get 20 kbyte/sec while downloading, then your EDGE is perfectly working at 200kbits/sec and this is normal (and good) speed in major cities. Rural areas do not have EDGE but still you get around 100 Kbits/sec which is equal to Reliance CDMA.

The ease of using Internet in PC via GPRS depends on which model of Handset you are using. Symbian and Windows mobiles are best in using GPRS Internet on pc. Its better you visit Reliance Gallery at least once for basic information on connecting pc to Phone for GPRS/CDMA internet. Anyways its not too hard.

But hey beware of next generation kids >>>> my 10 year old kid could install ActiveSync 4.5 for XP and then connected my Window mobile to his own seperate pc and download camera images without anyones help. He can install / uninstall CAB files (installation setup files). And yes he can also connect his pc with my O2 Atom Life with USB and browses internet occassionaly. He knows where that INTERNET SHARING option on O2. He is just 10 but he is bored of Highest-graphics 3D Games and asked me to install Macromedia Flash and Photoshop few months before and already have good hands in both, like outlining, special effects and FX pluggins. Hey dudes...This is all personal but please dont mind, I could not stop myself as I am toooo proud of my kid :)

wonderful. but is the SMS free or charged?

Mine is a AirTel Lifetime Prepaid card and there is no free SMS package available at the moment for Lifetime Sim Cardholders. SMS does not have any connection with EDGE/GPRS service in Airtel. In Airtel, SMS are charged at standard costs all over India like Rs.1 for local and 2 for National and Rs.5 for international.

C Mahendra