Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
cmahendra

Mobile Internet, Edge+gprs Is Much More Faster Than Cdma

[Off-topic]

@cmahendra:No hard feelings mate, your contribution to the forum is well recognized and it might be rewarded in some other capacity sometime. I was made a moderator when I was less than a hundred post old. Also, we try to keep the forums clean of the faltu discussions apart from the General Chat and the posts in General Chat do not contribute towards your post count. However, some of the off-topic posts do creep in, in response to other posts - like this one :-)

So carry on with RIMweb.in and let me assure, its not the tag that counts but what you say and we do look forward to your informed posts on the forum.

WOW THANKS A LOT DEAR MR. PUNEET (MODERATOR). I tried to give information about EDGE which is improving now everywhere. But some people tried to prove me wrong, with distrust and even made jokes. That directly hit my heart coz those comments were not based on current facts but thier old experience which did not matter now. So I tried to put more information about edge. you can check previous post in this same forum

I remember I myself mentioned few months before that I got 17 kbps with EDGE and now it is 21kbps (kilo bytes) . This proved that I always tried to keep forum information up to date. Thanks for your reply and support. If you can find a single post from me which is negatively said to anyone I will leave this forum forever. I myself am thinking of leaving this forum after few closing posts now like this one. Can you suggest me a good time for send-off for me?

C Mahendra

Mumbai

Chill ... Freezee !!!

mahi ... I guess I can call u dat - probably as an younger bro ... chill ... we trust you - its just that it is a forum - and everyone has their own opinions :Riendo:

he he ...

and yes .... your contribution to the forum is something that has definetly been noticed anyway :quest:

cheers

karki

This proved that I always tried to keep forum information up to date. Thanks for your reply and support. If you can find a single post from me which is negatively said to anyone I will leave this forum forever. I myself am thinking of leaving this forum after few closing posts now like this one. Can you suggest me a good time for send-off for me?

C Mahendra

Mumbai

@C Mahendra

My dear friend, please don't ever think of leaving this forum. We need the members like you the most, who provide good and genuine information.

Regards.

Chill ... Freezee !!!

mahi ... I guess I can call u dat - probably as an younger bro ... chill ... we trust you - its just that it is a forum - and everyone has their own opinions :quest:

he he ...

and yes .... your contribution to the forum is something that has definetly been noticed anyway :NOTriste:

cheers

karki

Dear Karki (ashoksoft)

Of course you can call me MAHI. Dhoni ne jabse pak ko dhoya, sab merekobhee MAHI bolne lage hai :Riendo:

Thanks for your appreciation. Now I will not leave this forum at least for single liner RIM GURUS. :Contento:

@C Mahendra

My dear friend, please don't ever think of leaving this forum. We need the members like you the most, who provide good and genuine information.

Regards.

Thanks Honest, for your kind feelings about me, just another member. I am not leaving at least not for this time.

I just finished two long posts and started one new TOPIC on WIFI (how to start your own wifi environment?)

http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?showtopic=10594

Believe it or not but many people will start thier own WIFI business in local area, though it will be illegal. See those who have ideas do not start business. And those who can start business do not have ideas. Its so simple, my above post will help many people to start business too. :Contento:

Read the post and you will come to know.

C Mahendra

Mumbai

Mahendra ji, we specially KSHAH ji and HPnashik tried lot to find alternatives of reliance data connectivity, explored every nook and corner from world wide web to CHINA to USA to local indian market, spend hell lot of money in search of better handset, let me inform you we are the people her first import and used PDA in 2004/05, it was XV6600. then now break through by HP and KSHAH ji we cross the limit by attaching RUIM slot in imported PDA XV6700, i am first person in india to import DUAL mode CDMA/GSM handset, RUIM based FWTerminals and RUIM based USB data card.

Ideally GPRS supports only 100 kbps, device may be connected at 247 kbps.

I have tried airtels GSM data in Ahmedabad but speed was even poorer than CDMA. Ideally 1XRTT or EDGE can not give more speed than 60-80 kbps with latency of more than 600 ms. CDMA latency is about 100 ms lower than GSM thats why it appear faster. No GSM service provider allow more than 5 time slots, means 14.5X5 = 72.5 kbps (this is burst) so ideally it can not be more than 40-50 kbsp Where as CDMA it is usually 70-80 kbps

I think you should try to find some information about EDGE on GPRS and not only old version of GPRS. I also had bad experience about old version GPRS few years before comparing to CDMA Internet, but we are not talking about it now.

I stay in India's one of the finest and advanced city called MUMBAI where ALL Mobile ISPs (including MTNL) are offering EDGE+GPRS and all are selling PCMCIA Cards and USB Units with high speed EDGE support on GSM SIM Cards. You can take out the GSM SIM CARDS and use it in normal GSM Phones for basic use, if needed. Or use SIM in PDAs. Checkout websites of AIRTEL / MTNL / BPL / VODAFONE (HUTCH) for more details on options and tariffs available.

I never been to Ahmedabad so cannot comment the poorer speed you get there. And yes, visit AIRTEL Website (link given in main post) to see if EDGE really supports 247kbps or not. Seems you did not read main post carefully. Whatever mentioned there is real-life experience and not exatrcted from any technical manual.

C Mahendra

We dont speak baseless, our experience speaks.

actually i felt that you cross KSHAHs comments directly by comparing with states, and even me never got speed on E-GPRS you talk about.

We are here to help each other ( check my signature) :Riendo: , and to explore all the possible way to benefits this community as well as other consumers.

sometime it happens that members dont agree with comments, nothing personal. So enjoy ur stay here, and explore all the related possiblities.

BTW what really went wrong? Why we discuss some thing else than EGDE or EGPRS? :dontknow::confuse::confuse::unsurehelp:

EDGE is developped in mid 2003 and release in India at around 2005 EDGE is more powerfull then CDMA 1x Standarded in 2000.

But as every operator in India is in Sharp Bandwidth Crunch and realistic speed we get is far less.

I am Getting 80 kbps in Airtel EDGE on my Apple iPhone

Now one more thing is every tower is not Equipped with full slot they can use like if Airtel have 12 Mhz in Maharashtra

They can push 12/1.25 = 9 GSM / GPRS / EDGE card ito the Tower but if the Tower is not peeking to it capacity they will only Populate 3 or 4 Cards.

So What we get Practically is becomming more Important. I am Getting 70 to 80 Kbps Unlimited Network without Blocking my Telephone call on Airtel that look like a Heaven.

One GSM / GPRS / EDGE Card can only server 386 kbps (Pratically 200 kbps)

So if they have full 9 card they can only server 9 Client like me Assuming there no Voice Traffic

in CDMA Single Card can Server 153 kbps per Card so if they have 6 Card (CDMA operator have less Spectrum u know) they can Simaltaniouly server 6 User with 153 Kbps Peak speed assuming there is no Traffic.

in EDGE and 1x MultiSlot Operation is not allowed mean unused capacity of other card can not be Utilised for us.

And one Phone can be connected to only one Card

CDMA 1x MC (Multi Channel Version can connect 153 x 2) 2 Operation in Single mode but this Standard died before it come becuase of EVDO

Edited by hetaldp

sometime it happens that members dont agree with comments, nothing personal. So enjoy ur stay here, and explore all the related possiblities.

Thanks a lot Mr. RIM GURU. lets move on....

BTW what really went wrong? Why we discuss some thing else than EGDE or EGPRS? :dontknow::confuse::confuse::Riendo:

For 3G, visit this page >>>http://searchtelecom.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid103_gci214486,00.html

For EDGE and EGPRS >>> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...29042339AABp7xV

Or type following in google seperate lines

what is gprs

what is 3g

what is edge

Now compare. The technical terms are contradictory at different places on Internet for all these three terms, So I guess a new WAR will start now here. Tumne EDGE ko EGPRS kyu bola? ha ha ha :D At some places in this thread EGPRS is written in place of EDGE+GPRS, by chance or by mistake by me and others too.

C Mahendra

Edited by cmahendra

Anyways here is almost all service providers manual GPRS setting.

Anyways here is almost all service providers manual GPRS setting.

@Sadik

Thanks for your effort but it will be better if you post only tested and working GPRS settings. Only one or two will do, but should be tested and working. As per excel document you have attached here, the loginname "guest" and password "guest" for Airtel (all india) will not work. I tried to change it in my mobile and connection failed. Anyways thanks again.

@All

For my working AIRTEL GPRS settings (for all india) for A1200, please visit this link I posted in January and its still valid and working in my Mobile. It is simple english STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE for MING. It is applicable in Symbian Phones too, if you have little experiences in manual mobile setup.

http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/showpos...mp;postcount=13

I am active in many forums at the same time, and information is scattered all over in different forums. Therefore posted only link here instead of whole text again.

C Mahendra

Edited by cmahendra

As we are all talking about EDGE here, here is some more useful lengthy (as usual with details) article by me on AIRTEL's two GPRS Services

Mobile Office (Full GPRS Internet) and Airtel Live (it was WAP now partial GPRS)

http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/showpos...mp;postcount=27

Article is on another forum but I thought few people may find it useful.

C Mahendra

Mumbai

^^^

@c mahendra

Thanks for the useful link / information my dear friend.

Regards.

hey guys i m an airtel prepaid user...n m using mobile office ...the speed literally s**ks at 4-5kbps......plz tell me any method to increase tht speed?????

hey guys i m an airtel prepaid user...n m using mobile office ...the speed literally s**ks at 4-5kbps......plz tell me any method to increase tht speed?????

hi viper in blood (scarry id though)

CAN I REQUEST YOU TO READ THIS THREAD FROM FIRST PAGE TO THIS ONE? MAY BE YOU WILL GET SOME IDEA ABOUT EDGE.

An advice to you and everybody who ask such questions. When you ask some technical question like this, ALWAYS PROVIDE INFORMATION IN DETAILS. At least few basic things

1) What handset you are using (is it EDGE built in?) Some models say EDGE enabled in the manual but its not necessary they are compatible to asian and south asian mobile standards. The best EDGE we have seen in the models of mobiles released for Asian and South Asian countries which work well in INDIA.

2) Which city and area you live in? Do you get good network signal in your area. Is it Metropolitan city or small town or a village?

FYI, there is no method how you increase your speed of Edge. It depends on which area you are accessing. May be Airtel does not have EDGE Transmission in your area and sending only normal GPRS channel which is very old technology now.

Hope you will provide more information next time before ask such technical question regarding speed , reception etc

C Mahendra

Mumbai, India

Edited by cmahendra

buddy firstly i m sorry for the scary id .....it was indeed so kind of u to reply me.....the first thing is m usin a nokia 5500 which is edge enabled (i think).......

secondly i live in a remote village called bijapur whr reliance is providing 15-17 kbps but airtel is only goin upto 4-5 kbps.....

thirdly my reception n the strengthof signal is full.....

i only waana tweak the phon so tht i can increase the speed...hope u will help.....

buddy firstly i m sorry for the scary id .....it was indeed so kind of u to reply me.....the first thing is m usin a nokia 5500 which is edge enabled (i think).......

secondly i live in a remote village called bijapur whr reliance is providing 15-17 kbps but airtel is only goin upto 4-5 kbps.....

thirdly my reception n the strengthof signal is full.....

i only waana tweak the phon so tht i can increase the speed...hope u will help.....

Hi viper

Your request made me to dig a bit about nokia 5500 and I got this tech info

GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps

HSCSD No

EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps

3G No

Bluetooth Yes, v2.0

your model can give maximum 236.8 k/bits per sec with Edge reception (4 timeslots for RX+) and 32-48 k/bits per sec with Normal GPRS (single slot). I am afraid to say that as staying in a small town like Bijapur (sorry, compared to Metros) there may not be an EDGE reception by Airtel. You must try digging a bit with other models with same SIMCARD and also kick some as-ses at Airtel. Find some technical guy at Airtel Gallery (if any in Bijapur) and ask for current scenerio about the EDGE availability

FYI, I have been to Bijapur several times so I know your city. I frequently visit Belgaum city my native place and visited Bijapur from there. I speak medium Kannada too, cant read. I am Maharashtrian (Marathi).

C Mahendra

Is any friend using MTNL gprs in Delhi? May I ask for the manual settings for prepaid mtnl gprs? Call centre does not have settings for my samsung metal series phone. Thanks.Is any friend using MTNL gprs in Delhi? May I ask for the manual settings for prepaid mtnl gprs? Call centre does not have settings for my samsung metal series phone. Thanks.

Call centre does not have settings for my samsung metal series phone.

@sachinrocks

My dear friend its strange to hear that MTNL call centre doesn't have the manual settings for your Samsung made handset. Actually if they are providing the GPRS services to you then it is their duty to provide you the manual settings. All other cell operators provide the manual settings for different handsets to their respective customers.

MTNL is always at the back foot. That's why these operators can't fetch good customer base. They are good only upto landline phones. Even their staff are not well trained to technically guide the customer.

See what happens with me. I gone to a MTNL exchange in my area and ask the person of the maximum internet speed in Garuda. The gentleman told me that Garuda FWP phones doesn't support internet. :lol2:

What a joke.

Now you can compare MTNL people with other operators.

Regards.

hey thnks for replyin......i m not able to increase mi airtel mobile office speed ....i chked with other sets too...same thr also at the mosst thy go upto 5.5kkbps not more thn tht..... :lol2:

BSNL/MTNL call centre staff are always just like that - nincompoops. Atleast in this area, RCL comes out tops. hehehe

Guys thanks for the replies!!!

Can any buddy out here tell me a few things that I wanted to know about gprs services in Delhi?

1. Do Airtel and Vodafone provide the facility of connecting the mobile as a modem to pc/laptop to surf the net for prepaid users?

Idea and MTNL provide this facilty in both pre and post paid.

2. If they do whats the charges and the plans?

Idea charges Rs. 5/day and thereafter 1 paise/2 Mb for unlimited net access for prepaid.

MTNl charges 2paise /kb.

3.I use Idea's Gprs right now to surf net. While downloading I get a speed of 2-3 kbps. Is it too slow? I mean can it be better than this on nokia 6080?

WAITING FOR REPLIES.

checked many reviews, airtel and other edge supported data cards are not that satisfactory in terms of speed and connectivity

1. Do Airtel and Vodafone provide the facility of connecting the mobile as a modem to pc/laptop to surf the net for prepaid users?

@sachinrocks

My dear friend Airtel and Vodafone both operators provide the facility of connecting the mobile as a mode to pc/laptop to surf the net for prepaid users.

Don't know about the exact charges in Airtel. I think its. Rs.15/- per day for unlimited usage.

But in Vodafone its too much costly. In Vodafone you have to activate the PREPAID PACK in your account. Than every month Rs.199/- will be deducted as advanced gprs rentals. No free usage offered in this Rs.199/-. You have to pay as per your usage. For every 10KB of data download you have to pay 0.05 paise. That means Rs.5/- per MB.

Vodafone seems to be very costly.

You can opt for Airtel Mobile Office.

Regards.

Rs 15/day is far too much for a dial up speed in Delhi..I think in that respect Idea is much more pocket friendly as it allows me to surf net on pc as well as my handset without any hassles for Rs.5/day.