Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
waseemkazi

Blackberry 8703e

Hi

Got the BlackBerry 8703e working today from my Kyocera 7135. Few facts might help:

1. Buy it from Reliance will cost you 22,000 Rs. Buying it from other retailer (Alpha, Irla, Mumbai) will cost you Rs 20,150

2. BlackBerry handset only for post paid users.

3. Fixed additional cost of Rs 249/- per month as BlackBerry Rentals. This doesnt include any free data usage. data usage charges of 50p/KB applicable. If you can shell out 1099 Rs then you get free data usage.

4. Above data usaeg is for BlackBerry services only. aka Email from BlackBerry. Regular browsing/netconnect charges are applicable.

5. if you are an existing post paid customer the existing voice plan is applicable. Else if you are a new customer then you go on the default 199New Plan.

6. Two software versions. Enterprise and Customer. Regular users on the Customer version. This doesnt have Gtalk for example. Basic Functionalities. No external browser. Only Reliance Browser with the usual default settings.

Note: Tried installing Opera Mini. Poor Opera Mini was not able to locate the network/browser settings on Reliance CDMA network..though Opera Mini works great on other GSM handhelds...and wonders of all..if you got Opera Mini installed the regular Reliance Browser stops browsing. So you uninstall Opera Mini ...restart the BB and voila Reliance Browser starts working!!!. Reliance Doesnt like any external applications on the BB.....

Other stuff after i test it out.....

Waseem Kazi

Thanks for the review, looking forward to more after you test it out further !

Waseem, how you find email functionality? have you experienced blackberry server to be down?

And default browser works well with javascript sites - sites like famecinemas.com ?

I guess you will need few days to test it out :Riendo:

Hello All,

5th day of BB and following inputs:

1. Buy it from Reliance will cost you 22,000 Rs. Buying it from other retailer (Alpha, Irla, Mumbai) will cost you Rs 20,150

Reliance doesnt like you buying BB from other retailers. The BB support people were helpful till they found out i didnt buy it from them. The moment they come to know you are not buying from them it is like "kindly refer to the settings details in the manual." "Plz call the help line number" etc.

I say if you can save Rs 1850 save it!!!!! Settings are not that tough for setting up the BIS aka BlackBery Internet service.

2. BB Experience:

Battery is great. got 3 days of stand by time which is great for a PDA/Handheld if you ask me. Actual Talktime will update after using it. It does take time to get used to the scroll button/commands. Screen is great...Java Script is enabled on the Default Browser. Though it does take some time to load the JS on the browser.

BB Email: As i mentioned there are 2 options. Enterprise and Customer. If you company is willling to setup a BB server then you need to go in for the Enterprise version. Else you are on the Customer/Individual Plan like me. Now it takes 72 Hours for the BB service to get activated. I tried configuring the accounts..POP email accounts..No BB server for me...it didnt allow me as it was not activated. But the current Email settings is like regular Outlook settings...so it wont be a problem per se.

By this month end would get the Bill from Reliance on the BB handset. Will update on this also. In nutshell following:

1. Batter life great if you ask me.

2. Java Script support. This rocks. WinCE 5 didnt have it. WinCE6 has it.

3. MIDP 2.0 support.

4. Default setings cant be changed. Cant install any other software on the BB. This kinda is a dampner

5. Wap Push and MMS supported. Yet to test it out.

6. Network Supported shows CDMA IN 393f40. Need to figure that out.

7. GPS shows "off" by Default. Will check on this if it works.

8. BBs Got a firewall. This rocks.

9. Miss my MSN Messenger and Remote Desktop Client from WinCE5. Require that badly.

Regards

Waseem

Hi

BB works great. Got the BB internet services activated. As soon as the activation happens u get Yahoo Search, Gtalk, Yahoo Messenger and BB browser installed on your Handset. BB email setup is a breeze.

Talktime is excellent so is the battery life.

Bluetooth cant be used to transfer contacts/data from other handsets. It has been blocked. Bluetooth can only be used for headsets.

Even import function via the BB Desktop Manager doesnt work. It has been blocked.

Yet to get the first invoice/bill from RIM for the first month of BB usage. Will update on that. With the kind of BB data transfer charges I wont be downloading emails on my BB device.

Overall good handset for Reliance CDMA network. Provided you need to stick/use only Reliance CDMA network. Else on GSM network would suggest the HTC touch unlocked for the same price range...around 20k...excellent battery life, excellent audio quality (you can hear the ringtone on a WINce based mobile in the next room also), sharp display and the slimmest PDA avaiable in the market.

Only 2 issues with HTC touch is the WinCE 6 version. One no Remote Desktop on the handset. And second is auto sync contacts with MSN messenger contacts. This one is crazy. You are forced to sync your MSN contacts if you login to MSN messenger form the HTC touch with your contacts on your handset. Imagine if you got 100 MSN messenger contacts....its a nightmare......I had to delete the MSN contacts form my handset and restore the actual mobile contacts. Trust Microsoft to mess it up. WinCE 5 is the best OS on PDAs if you ask me....WinCE has good options...but this 2 issues mess it up badly.

Regards

Waseem

Hi, one very quick question. Can we use google talk or yahoo messenger in 8703e to make any internet call to any person on computer or on blackberry itself :confuse: ? If yes then what will happen if somebody call me on my Reliance number while using google talk? :Equivocado::Ohhhh:

if it is 1X your phone will be engaged. If EVDO you can do two things simultaneously.

Well thats good to know that I can use google talk for voice telephony. But my concern is about the voice clarity? I already have a Reliance data card (EC 325) and I am using it for voice chat, but manytimes voice breaks. Normally the downloadable speed is good (13-16 Kb/sec).

I have a plan of buying Blackberry 8703e for google talk voice chat and access to e mail. KIndly let me know if the voice clarity is good while using google chat service (considering the fact that the tower strength is good).

Couple of questions:

If we get the reliance blackberry plan costing about Rs.1000 per month can we use it as a modem to connect laptop for unlimited downloads or is there any additional charge for the same?

MSN messenger blocked?

I get a lot of emails in my gmail account- if I open the emails on the blackberry is there a memory problem?

Thanks

Couple of questions:

If we get the reliance blackberry plan costing about Rs.1000 per month can we use it as a modem to connect laptop for unlimited downloads or is there any additional charge for the same?

MSN messenger blocked?

I get a lot of emails in my gmail account- if I open the emails on the blackberry is there a memory problem?

Thanks

You can use it as a Modem, but for that the charges will be extra, it will net connect charge. Yes MSN Messenger is not available, its in Win ver 6. There wont be any problem in opening your mails on blackberry. There is enough memory, also you can store your mail on the server itself.

Can anybody tell me about the voice clarity while using google talk voice chat service (considering the fact that the tower strength is good).

Hi

1. Google Talk/Yahoo Mesenger

No voice chat/talk option here on the BB on either of this 2 messengers.

2. If we get the reliance blackberry plan costing about Rs.1000 per month can we use it as a modem to connect laptop for unlimited downloads or is there any additional charge for the same?

Am yet to figure out how to setup BB as a modem. Any help on this would be appreciated. Previously i was able to define Kyocera 7135 as a modem and 7135 had a modem utility which was intallled on the desktop pc.

The Rs 1000 plan ( 1099 rs to be specific) is only for BB email service. Not for browsing/accessing the net. For that you pay as per the Reliance Net conenct plan you are on.

3. MSN messenger blocked?

Yes doesnt work. Tried intalling a 3rd party MSN messenger and RIM doesnt like it on the BB.

4. I get a lot of emails in my gmail account- if I open the emails on the blackberry is there a memory problem?

BB has good hardware config. Dont think it would crash.

5. MSN Messenger is not available, its in Win ver 6.

MSN messenger is avaialbable on all Windows CE based mobiles..including ver 2003, ver 5 and ver 6. MSN mesesnger is not avaiable on BB provided by Reliance CDMA.

Regards

Waseem

Edited by waseemkazi

hi

does the blackberry have group sms system, if so, then how many sms can v send at 1 go.how many groups can v make , how much is the internal memory ,can it be used to store the contact nos, if so then whats the limit,

can also reply at

vibhoomehra@gmail.com

Hello All,

5th day of BB and following inputs:

Reliance doesnt like you buying BB from other retailers. The BB support people were helpful till they found out i didnt buy it from them. The moment they come to know you are not buying from them it is like "kindly refer to the settings details in the manual." "Plz call the help line number" etc.

I say if you can save Rs 1850 save it!!!!! Settings are not that tough for setting up the BIS aka BlackBery Internet service.

2. BB Experience:

Battery is great. got 3 days of stand by time which is great for a PDA/Handheld if you ask me. Actual Talktime will update after using it. It does take time to get used to the scroll button/commands. Screen is great...Java Script is enabled on the Default Browser. Though it does take some time to load the JS on the browser.

BB Email: As i mentioned there are 2 options. Enterprise and Customer. If you company is willling to setup a BB server then you need to go in for the Enterprise version. Else you are on the Customer/Individual Plan like me. Now it takes 72 Hours for the BB service to get activated. I tried configuring the accounts..POP email accounts..No BB server for me...it didnt allow me as it was not activated. But the current Email settings is like regular Outlook settings...so it wont be a problem per se.

By this month end would get the Bill from Reliance on the BB handset. Will update on this also. In nutshell following:

1. Batter life great if you ask me.

2. Java Script support. This rocks. WinCE 5 didnt have it. WinCE6 has it.

3. MIDP 2.0 support.

4. Default setings cant be changed. Cant install any other software on the BB. This kinda is a dampner

5. Wap Push and MMS supported. Yet to test it out.

6. Network Supported shows CDMA IN 393f40. Need to figure that out.

7. GPS shows "off" by Default. Will check on this if it works.

8. BBs Got a firewall. This rocks.

9. Miss my MSN Messenger and Remote Desktop Client from WinCE5. Require that badly.

Regards

Waseem

hi

does the blackberry have group sms system, if so, then how many sms can v send at 1 go.how many groups can v make , how much is the internal memory ,can it be used to store the contact nos, if so then whats the limit,

can also reply at

vibhoomehra@gmail.com

Hi Vibhoo. You can use group sms. You need to create a group from your contacts. A small problem is that this group will not sync as a group with your pc desktop. So you cannot create a group on your PC (I prefer that since desktop keyboard is easier to handle) and then transfer to your blackberry and vice versa. But still creation of group is easy.

Since the group you make is itself a contact, you can make as many groups as you want. Incidentally, I have stored about 1200 contacts (mostly having phone no and emails but some of them having address too) and there is no problem of memory. I have a 128mb internal micro sd card which is barely used despite the above.

For emails and SMS, a blackberry is fantastic. Voice has improved from earlier models like 7730. I cannot comment about 8703e but I am quite happy about the Curve and 8830 (GSM models - 8830 is used by a good friend of mine and am sharing his experience).

My advice is that you wait for the Curve.

[

Can the bb enterprise server can work as exchange or dominos server? Can the enterprise server store mails so can load on laptop/desktop?

This is very important. I want the sent msgs. be saved to sent folder on the server(if it saves on bb enterprise server) so when /i connect my desktop/laptop i get them into my sent folder. This way I remain upto date on laptop/desktop. I use outlook for emails.

Someone was asking for the bb chats. check this http://na.blackberry.com/services/internet/im/

BlackBerry Maps

Wherever you are, BlackBerry® Maps makes it easier to find the location of businesses, restaurants, concert venues, parks and more by letting you find addresses on maps and get driving directions quickly and conveniently. You can also send maps via email and launch maps from your address book. BlackBerry Maps can also plan your route by displaying it visually, along with step-by-step instructions, to help you get there. Finding your way couldn't be easier!

www.Mobile.blackberry.com

Looking to get more out of your BlackBerry smartphone? Visit www.mobile.blackberry.com from your BlackBerry Internet Service browser to download FREE games, ringtones and themes and for BlackBerry tips and tricks.

And while you’re on the go, why not Instant Message?

Learn More

Edited by vishalsheth

Try this http://www.blackberrycool.com/2005/11/14/001077/

As far as I know Reliance doesnt block 3rd party apps and neither does RIM.

RIM might not block..But Reliance is blocking for sure. The BB does a validation check after you install any third party app. Opera Mini didnt work for me and it stopped net access on the BB. Even the BB Desktop manager has a import function where you can import contacts from win ce based mobile. Even that is disabled. Top it up with blue tooth. Cant use it to transfer data like contacts. You can use blue tooth in BB only for the headset.

Waseem

Hi Vishal

I think bb is an enterprise Email server. Not sure how you will sync it with the desktop/laptop.

The BB Maps dont work for Indian cities.

BB chat/IM URL is http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/inte...ant_message.jsp

BB Messengers supported on reliance network are Yahoo, GTalk and the BB messenger. No ICQ, AIM and MSN there.

Regards

Waseem

BB have their own server. If we want to sync the mail to latop/desktop, then need to use outlook or any mail client.

Yes Yahoo, GTalk and the its own messenger are supported on reliance network. :D

Hi

First bill came in. Got charged Rs 880/- for consuming 1760 KB data charges. And best part is Never used BB for chekcing emails!!!!! Just configured my POP email ID on BB to see how it works and even deleted the settings. Still I get charged.

Spoke to the BB customer care. Guys have no idea. Have asked me to email them up asking for clarifcations. Would be pleaseantly surprised if i receive a responce form reliance. Will post the reply here in case i get any.

Wont suggest anybody to go in for BlackBerry from Reliance at this point of time.

Waseem Kazi

Hi

First bill came in. Got charged Rs 880/- for consuming 1760 KB data charges. And best part is Never used BB for chekcing emails!!!!! Just configured my POP email ID on BB to see how it works and even deleted the settings. Still I get charged.

Spoke to the BB customer care. Guys have no idea. Have asked me to email them up asking for clarifcations. Would be pleaseantly surprised if i receive a responce form reliance. Will post the reply here in case i get any.

Wont suggest anybody to go in for BlackBerry from Reliance at this point of time.

Waseem Kazi

But 1760KB can be crossed very easily, even if you download a small mail; 100 to 200Kb will be consumed.

Check with Reliance, they always have some billing problem. :Decepcionado:

Hi

Waseem Kazi

Waseem,

How much is the rental? and is this Rs.880 in addition to the monthly rental?

as an airtel blackberry user since 4 years, my two cents worth of input is that this is the problem if you go for a limited plan where you get charged for the kb that you use. within 3 months of use, i switched on to the unlimited plan, which incidentally is far lower than reliance though I am sure reliance may come out with competitive plans. if you tend to use a lot of email (my cutoff is 50 emails per day), then go for the unlimited plan. once you start using a blackberry, your usage will automatically increase than what you estimate earlier. For example, I have added all the email IDs of my wife and son who dont access the net regularly so if any email comes, i let them know.

Reliance will have some teething problems but their reputation is to be stagnant though I am still optimistic of their service improving.