Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
waseemkazi

Blackberry 8703e

Price reduced to 15699/-

What is the source of news that 8703e price is reduced to 15699/- ? Also where is it availbale in that price?

yes price reduced...

But 1760KB can be crossed very easily, even if you download a small mail; 100 to 200Kb will be consumed.

Check with Reliance, they always have some billing problem. :Decepcionado:

Hi

When I setup the BB email account for testing/checking purposes i downloaded 8 emails in total. Without any attatchments ofcourse. 100 Rs per email download is a bit steep.

Yes. Reliance does have a problem with billing. Called up the BB help line. The guy was not able to help out. Was told to email. Being couple of days. No responce yet.

Waseem

Hi

First bill came in. Got charged Rs 880/- for consuming 1760 KB data charges. And best part is Never used BB for chekcing emails!!!!! Just configured my POP email ID on BB to see how it works and even deleted the settings. Still I get charged.

Spoke to the BB customer care. Guys have no idea. Have asked me to email them up asking for clarifcations. Would be pleaseantly surprised if i receive a responce form reliance. Will post the reply here in case i get any.

Wont suggest anybody to go in for BlackBerry from Reliance at this point of time.

Waseem Kazi

Waseem,

How much is the rental? and is this Rs.880 in addition to the monthly rental?

Hi

250 Rs is the BB rental. Data transfer other then this monthly rentals. Wont suggest anybody to go in for BlackBerry from Reliance at this point of time.

Waseem

Price reduced to 15699/-

What is the source of news that 8703e price is reduced to 15699/- ? Also where is it availbale in that price?

Hi

Even if Reliance reduces the price they will make moneys out of the monthly billing. Would suggest a windows mobile device on a fixed cost per day GSM Operator. For example Airtel. Pay 15 Rs per day. Download all the emails on your pda on the outlook client. works out cheaper.

Wont suggest anybody to go in for BlackBerry from Reliance at this point of time.

Waseem Kazi

Waseemkazi : I would be obliged if you gave me your opinion on the BB 8703e (other than commercial/billing issues). I am currently using a Nokia E61i with BB connect from airtel. The service is perfectly acceptable, but the handset has a big problem : it keeps freezing and slowing down constantly. I shifted from the E61 which had similar problems. I am considering shifting to reliance bb for dedicated messaging (email, IM and SMS) as i have a DAPO number, and the Reliance network, because of the 800 Mhz frequency has terrific in-building penetration. (very useful in bombay's big buildings). I know that the bb 8703 will be good as an email device. How is it for sms ? Does it have threaded SMS ? Does it keep freezing or slowing down ? How does IM work, particularly gtalk. I plan to use airtel for voice and reliance bb for data and sms.

The suggestions were good. My situation is like this. I have Vodafone on Treo 680, Reliance on PPC6700. After this it would be tough to carry a BB from Airtel. I have got a solution on Vodafone with Treo. I've loaded Chatteremail and keep GPRS on when I'm not in office. I don't have BB connect but it acts in that way. I get immi alert when a mail arrives in my account. I prefer replying by gmail as it's imap and so i have the copy of the sent mail for my reference. I think I'll just hold on with things in this way unless a better option comes up.

Is there anyone here actually using the BB8703e ??

Waseemkazi : where have u disappeared ?? Any one else using BB 8703e ???

I would be obliged if you gave me your opinion on the BB 8703e (other than commercial/billing issues). I am currently using a Nokia E61i with BB connect from airtel. The service is perfectly acceptable, but the handset has a big problem : it keeps freezing and slowing down constantly. I shifted from the E61 which had similar problems. I am considering shifting to reliance bb for dedicated messaging (email, IM and SMS) as i have a DAPO number, and the Reliance network, because of the 800 Mhz frequency has terrific in-building penetration. (very useful in bombay's big buildings). I know that the bb 8703 will be good as an email device. How is it for sms ? Does it have threaded SMS ? What is the number of sms messages that can be stored on the device ? Can they be backed up on the desktop, and if so how many can be backed up ? Does it keep freezing or slowing down ? How does IM work, particularly gtalk. I plan to use airtel for voice and reliance bb for data and sms.

Vishalsheth : Are you happy with the reliance utstarcom ppc ? How does it compare with the Treo 680 ? I had earlier used a Treo 650 on airtel but gave up because it kept freezing all too often. Also, the speakerphone was not effective, bluetooth unstable and there were no sms delivery reports. Does the Treo 680 address these issues ?

Try SE P1i which has BB Connect along with SMS capabilities. This has smart QWERTY keyboard, touch screen capabilities along with decent multi-media capabilities for INR 20K. Whereas BB 8703 which does not have camera, expanded memory, touch screen capabilities and does not have many other useful features (P1i is a 3G phone but does not have EDGE) yet costs more than SE P1i! I would even recommend P1i over BB 8802/03. This phone is a clear leader. BBs have become outdated of late!!! Only “about-to-retire” executives carry BBs!!

Edited by Ramchi

I am currently using a Nokia E61i with BB connect from airtel. The service is perfectly acceptable, but the handset has a big problem : it keeps freezing and slowing down constantly. I shifted from the E61 which had similar problems.

Yes. E-sereis is slower as comapred to other nokia handsets. Had a freind using E62 and he too found it slow.

I am considering shifting to reliance bb for dedicated messaging (email, IM and SMS) as i have a DAPO number, and the Reliance network, because of the 800 Mhz frequency has terrific in-building penetration. (very useful in bombay's big buildings).

Yes it does have good coverage. Though Airtel would be decent enough also.

I know that the bb 8703 will be good as an email device.

yes its good enough. Also prices has mentioned have been reduced.

How is it for sms ? Does it have threaded SMS ?

Yes it has threaded SMS.

Does it keep freezing or slowing down ?

It does some times. RIM does some kind of security validation i guess to check if you have any 3rd party application installed. But this happens when you are connected to the BB as a modem. Else it doesnt happen.

How does IM work, particularly gtalk.

Didnt try that. Cuase dont want to end up paying heavy charges for data to reliance. Am on the base 250 rs plan. As far as I understand if you use BB as a modem and use the reliance browser you are charged the netconnect charges. For me its 50p/minute. Dont know if IM would be charged on this or the BB data charges.

I plan to use airtel for voice and reliance bb for data and sms.

Sounds workable. There is unlimited plan on BB

Vishalsheth : Are you happy with the reliance utstarcom ppc ? How does it compare with the Treo 680 ? I had earlier used a Treo 650 on airtel but gave up because it kept freezing all too often. Also, the speakerphone was not effective, bluetooth unstable and there were no sms delivery reports. Does the Treo 680 address these issues ?

Hi

Palm Treo 750 doesnt freeze. Speaker phone good enough. Headset is not that great. bluetooth stable. and dleivery reports in the sent items

Waseem

I'm very happy with Treo 680. There are few things where windows is better than Palm. This is in relation to the information. If I open a contact in windows it's crazy, I'd love to open in palm. I feel palm is much better and stable device. Windows hangs a lot. I've removed many programs that I had for the hanging. Now it's running ok. It's more like a phone than a pda except the sync with outlook.

Treo 680 does not crash. It would crash when a program is installed and has some conflict. I'm very happy with palm.

Though you guys are discussing about BB and related device, I put my answer here because there is mention of Treo and I am using treo 700P without push mail. This is my 4th PDA, incidently 2nd Palm.

Treo700 (Almost same as 680 / 750 P) Does not has SMS delivery report. I got activated by flshing it with old Sprint ROM.

Very stable. At times better than WM5 / WM6. Speaker phone is good, seldom freeze, excellent syncing (WM is no where near to palm as far as syncing is concern). Screen resolution is far far superior than my PPC 6700. Superb threaded SMS. Palm is said to support BB too, but not aware.

kshah : are you using the Treo 700p on reliance ? if so, how have you managed to make it work on the network ?

vishalsheth : does the treo 680 have delivery reports ?

waseemkazi : thanks for the detailed reply> One more question : what is the maximum length of sent sms that the reliance bb 8703e allows ? and how does it handle long sms received ?

I am currently using an lg 6250 on reliance. It breaks up long outgoing text messages into parts with max. 160 characters in each part. Similarly, long incoming messages are also broken up into different messages of 160 character length.

How does the BB 8703e handle long messages ?

On gsm nokia s60 devices, neither outgoing nor incoming long messages are broken into different segments

Ramchi : what kind of data speeds are you getting on the SE device without EDGE? I remember when i was using a gsm nokia in the pre-EDGE days, the data speeds were unworkably slow.

kshah : are you using the Treo 700p on reliance ? if so, how have you managed to make it work on the network ?

Yes 700P on reliance, every thing is possible of course I was guided by some one in canada who has mastered treos. If u have 700P or 755P and want to use on reliance let me know, I will assist you in doing so. In treo they removed delivery reports from many OEM as well as non OEM devices. In some ROM versions it is available so some tweaking may get you SMS delivery report.

Edited by kshah

I dont use EDGE since it does not have. It has GPRS but I have not taken up GPRS connection for obvious reason. Also, it has 3G data connectivity but unfortunately in this country it will take few centuries before we get to see 3G/4G services!!!

But I do make use of its WiFi connectivity option for connecting to internet etc...which is really good. As I have mentioned in the other thread, I could even use Fring for voice chating etc...

Overall I like the performance of P1i to other phones I have used so far.

If you compare the EDGE Vs GSM almost similar story will be there. Since Datacards have become cheaper and it does not require batteries (unlike Mobile phone internet for which you need to keep the mobile phones charged), people using Mobiles as the main source of internet connectivity in countries like India is slowing down.

Most of the countries offer unlimited data plans (3G or EVDO). In US 3G standards are slowly evolving and due to FAA regulations, 3G deployment is slowing down (just like we have TRAI/DOT/GOI/COAI). In Europe 3G services are damn expensive, while in India even basic data plans (in certain circles) are almost Rs 300 + usage charges.

In my opinion it does not really matter to Indian subscribers whether a mobile instrument is 3G/EDG/EVDO compatible so long it can allow customers to talk. Video calls, VoIP calls etc…is not getting popular in India unlike Japan or Europe.

But WiFi will be an added advantage for browsing net/checking mails/VoIP chat etc…

I do get the delivery reports. This is on GSM. I think this is to do with GSM and reliance.

Yes 700P on reliance, every thing is possible of course I was guided by some one in canada who has mastered treos. If u have 700P or 755P and want to use on reliance let me know, I will assist you in doing so. In treo they removed delivery reports from many OEM as well as non OEM devices. In some ROM versions it is available so some tweaking may get you SMS delivery report.

The msg which you have sent, the delivery report remains there. If sent to more than one person then you can tap on it get get status for all.