Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Google Intros Maps For Mobile V2.0

Google Intros Maps for Mobile v2.0

Google has released version 2.0 of 'Google Maps for mobile', its innovative mobile mapping- and local search- application.

And, Google Maps for mobile v2.0 is a beta version of the Google "My Location" technology that uses cell tower ID information to provide users with their approximate location, thus helping them determine where they are, what's around them, and how to get there.

GPS technology is the most common source of location information till date. But, it is supported on less than 15 percent mobile phones sold today.

Google's "My Location" technology is such that users who don't have GPS-enabled mobile phones, will also be able to get the benefit of location information.

"My Location" technology is claimed to be faster than GPS; besides being able to cover the inside of buildings unlike GPS; and results in slower drainage of batteries vis-a-vis GPS.

How "My Location" works is by taking information broadcast from cell towers, and sifting through it using Google's algorithms to estimate a user's current location on the map. The "My Location" feature can be disabled if not required.

"My Location" technology is available on most smart phones; including all color BlackBerry devices, all Symbian Series 60 3rd Edition devices, most Windows Mobile devices, newer Sony Ericsson devices, and some Motorola devices.

Google Maps for mobile with "My Location" can be downloaded by pointing one's mobile or desktop Web browser to www.google.com/gmm. The full range of mobile products/services available from Google is viewable at mobile.google.com.

Meanwhile, 'Google Maps for mobile' was first launched in the US in November 2005, and enables users to view interactive maps and satellite imagery, find local businesses, get point-to-point driving directions, and view live traffic updates -- all -- while on the go.

^^^

Thanks honest for the news. I d/l it on my 6265 and it works beautifully

^^^

Thanks honest for the news. I d/l it on my 6265 and it works beautifully

I have d'loaded google maps on my 6275 from www.google.com/gmm but cannot find the "My Location" feature in it.

Did you find this feature on your 6265 ?

Vishal

Edited by vishal

The same thing with me also.i have downloaded another application mobile g mass from a site earlier.it has got my location function.but it is very slow compared to this version of google map.can any one tell how to got my location in google maps?

It is clearly mentioned in the first post that "My Location" is supported on series 60 3rd ed phones. So don't expect it work on our series 40 phones.

Yes, in menu-help-my location, it is clearly stated that this feature is not supported on our phones.

It is showing my location some half km. away from my actual position on my S60v3 phone. Good enough for phones without GPS. :)

Thanks, today I downloaded the software to my mobile Nokia 6120 classic and it is working faster because I'm opting 3.5G network with ZAIN.

Thanks a lot. It is very handy and easy.

i used the new version with my PPC.

However it does not show my location - it says my locations is temp unavailable or something to that effect.

i used the new version with my PPC.

However it does not show my location - it says my locations is temp unavailable or something to that effect.

Ya friends, Now it is showing that my locations is temp unavailable. I tried to another location, it is also same. I think some problem with google server. But all other functions are operational expect the my location.

^^^

@tanveer & santhosh

MY dear friends, this seems to be a temporary problem only.

Regards.

Now its working. Software working same as GPS but it is not 100% accurate. Anyway this is free service and we should want to enjoy that. Once we are on the move, locations are moving same as GPS.