Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arun

New numbering scheme Expected in a Month

i think this 10 digit scheme was unnecessary ... it's just gonna become a big mess. this is one move TRAI is going to regret ... imagine all the confusion it is going to cause ... i mean about 7 million users getting different numbers !!!

Now this is gonna make a big problem.

If some one has a office, branch in Virar, Kalyan and want to call rel.no. in mumbai without STD is it gonna possible after 1 Mar? Or will trai approve to call 10 digit no. to all service provider, means one can call GSM nos. + CDMA nos.??

If yes, then its going to be a good move, if not then B)

Tezo,

U r rite. Number changing are causing a big confusion. I think TRAI lacks longsightedness. This should have been done at the time of issuing licence only.

Shataf

Well when reliance entered the market, even TRAI was aware of its potential of amassing a huge market and hence they were alloted the prefix "3" and BSNL/MTNL were alloted "2" and others etc...

But at that time CDMA licence was clubbed with the "Basic operator" Licence.

And it was sensible enuf for reliance being given a different prefix right from the beginning. Imagine if the numbering wouldn't have changed then, n later after so many new customers, there would have been a complete chaos and shortage of nos. I think TRAI was far-sighted enuf then.

the thing now is the new move of unifying the licence. but the problem is tht not all operators have opted for it.. so there r these two digiting schemes yet.

well my personal opinion is that the 10 digit numbering scheme is anyday better than a 8 digit numbering scheme. simply becoz it doesn't require STD codes and stuff... u simply need to dial "0" and get connected. Its easier.

The only glitch i find is that how do i differentiate the Fixed Line nos. of reliance from these now??? Or are Reliance Fixed Wireless Phones considered Landlines or not??

Finally Reliance accunced, that they will no change amy mobile no under Full Mobility access no accounced by DOT in late december last year. Dot has given a grace of 6 months to Reliance to change Mobile no's in progressive manner. So! Relaince IndiaMobile Customer Enjoy your phone with 7 digits no only

Finally Reliance accunced, that they will no change amy mobile no under Full Mobility access no accounced by DOT in late december last year. Dot has given a grace of 6 months to Reliance to change Mobile no's in progressive manner. So! Relaince IndiaMobile Customer Enjoy your phone with 7 digits no only

what?

maybe Sumit means that DOT has allowed Reliance to change its customers' numbers in a progressive manner, i.e. phasewise in the next 6 months.. Is that right Sumit?? Well, sumit, once again, can u tell us, where did u get this information from?? Try and give us a link to the website where this news was posted. It just adds credibility to ur post..

No news on this.. form long. I think summit will be right.

will number change happen or not, anybody knows for sure???

yeah youre right. it will add more confusion, more problems. we already got handfull.

It was supposed to happen in Feb 2003. But RIM got into a tussle with BSNL saying BSNL wasnt providing them enough connectivity at the LDCA level vs the SDCA level they are currently connected at. So it was deferred.

Maybe Feb 2005 who knows. ;):P:(

RIM will be 93...... and Tata will be 95...... I also hear Airtel will be 97......... - since these along with BSNL are national players they will be given unique nos. BSNL already has 94.......... The remaing 8 digits should remain the same though. And its costing RIM around 100 crores to add 2 digits. Perhaps if they spent 1/10th of that on their billing & collections systems things wouldnt be so #$#*& up.

it should happen at the earliest..prb after elections...

Probably yes. Most people I find tend to think that a number starting with an STD :P code is a landline number. They dont know or it doesnt come to their mind whether the real number starts with a 2 or 3. And if the STD code ends with a 2 or 3 and one doesnt know the STD code, even those who know may be confused. Like, you are given a no 04823235423 - how do you know whether it the number 235423(landline) on STD 04823 or is it 3235423(rel. mobile) on STD 0482???

And if they are going to call this from a landline, they would be paying too much money without even knowing they are actually calling a mobile.

I am all for standards! ;)

and while calling from coin operated phone rim subscribers are in a disadvantagious position. they cant call from outside the home location.

TRAI had extended the deadlines for Reliance, TATA, etc. for changing the numbering scheme when they had a meeting on May 3rd. No dates have been announced yet, but I guess it should take a while.

Interestingly, yesterday I received an SMS from Reliance with the following...

"Dear Customer, Your unique Reliance IndiaMobile Number reamins as 4623******. Other directory Nos. stand withdrawn -Reliance"

It must be that the temporary numbers have been withdrawn, not sure though. Anyone else got such an SMS ?

I had got this sms when once i tried those activation no's like *488

I dont remember exactly, on dialling which no i got this msg :)

Probably yes. Most people I find tend to think that a number starting with an STD  :)   code is a landline number. They dont know or it doesnt come to their mind whether the real number starts with a 2 or 3. And if the STD code ends with a 2 or 3 and one doesnt know the STD code, even those who know may be confused.  Like, you are given a no 04823235423 - how do you know whether it the number 235423(landline) on STD 04823 or is it 3235423(rel. mobile) on STD 0482???

And if they are going to call this from a landline, they would be paying too much money without even knowing they are actually calling a mobile.

I am all for standards! 

The new 10 digit numbering plan is for correct billing between different operators.

For example, if a GSM user in Delhi calls a long distance RIM no. in Mumbai, then the GSM "exchange" at Delhi has to decipher whether the call is std call to a mobile or std call to a landline...and depending on the type of std call, they have to charge the user.

In today's scenario, the only way out for GSM cos. is to actually have a database of all RIM nos (or atleast series of RIMS and Reliance Fixed lines) so that they know whether the called no. is RIM (mobile) or Reliance FWP/FWT.

This is so because originally RIM was equivalent to basic service, but now it is at par with mobiles.

So, post new numbering plan, if a number starts with 93, it would be treated as mobile...and reliance fixed line phone nos. would be starting with 3.

Interestingly, yesterday I received an SMS from Reliance with the following...

"Dear Customer, Your unique Reliance IndiaMobile Number reamins as 4623******. Other directory Nos. stand withdrawn -Reliance"

It must be that the temporary numbers have been withdrawn, not sure though. Anyone else got such an SMS ?

yes Arun that SMS was to notify you that other temporary numbers which were given to us have been withdrawn

Edited by Chirag

But i am still able to receive calls on the temporary no's :)

What exactly does *488 do Ashok ?

What exactly does *488 do Ashok ?

Well i am not sure whether it is 488

Actually i was given a no like this when i applied to change my rim no..

After a few days i tried entering the no again, they gave me that time to know

wat happens now :quest:

That time i got this message :quest:

well thats actually *288 which will take ur phone to the activation procedure...of course if ur phone is deactivated at the first place. other wise it gives an error message. generally u get ur phone activated when u got some number prob or n/w related prob n the *333 gal deactivates ur phone n asks u to dial *288