n/a

n/a

BlackBerry 7750

n/a

L6ARAV21CN

RIM BlackBerry Curve (T-Mobile)

n/a

L6ARBJ40GW

RIM BlackBerry Curve (aka BlackBerry 8300)

n/a

L6ARBP40GW

RIM BlackBerry 8820 (AT&T)

n/a

L6ARBG40GW

RIM BlackBerry 8830 (Reliance)

n/a

L6ARBK40CG

Therefore, the BB manufacturer (.63 - SAR Rating) has to be given the credit or the service provider?

Ironically, CDMA operaotrs have always been in the news for High radiation levels !

Regards,

ACS

Interesting, till now I have read that CDMA has more radiation than that of GSM.

Is there any documentation of sar values for Reliance handsets. (Both LG as well as Classic)?

SAR radiation can be checked on www.fcc.gov but we should have original component Code of Phone

Is there any documentation of sar values for Reliance handsets. (Both LG as well as Classic)?

CLASSIC ?????????????????? :rofl_200: I wonder it has FCC approval too. :Contento:

as far as i know cdma emits 10 times less radiation compared to GSM

Edited by suvirajshetty

I have come across literature that says CDMA emits lower radiation than GSM. I really dont know how authentic that claim is though. For all we know, it might just be false propaganda from the CDMA camp. After I got rid of my RIM and bought my 2 GSM handsets, I did compare the SAR levels of my RIM ph with the ones specified for my GSM handsets. As far as I recall, there wasnt any significant difference at all!!!

I'm however not sure if SAR is the only parameter to measure the radiation health hazard on. There might be other factors which we arent aware of.

As for the Classics, its VERY likely they dont meet the max. SAR requirements. Does anyone here have a Classic handset with the manual, etc? Do they even specify the SAR rating? Even if they do, we dont know if its authentic...

To the extent of knowledge I have pertaining to CDMA radiation, CDMA work of Radio Waves which is much lesser harmful than GSM.

cdma radio connects to network as per slot cycle multiple of 1.28 seconds. Usually CDMA systems are programmed for slot cycle of 2 means every 2.56 secods it pages system. Where as in GSM it is 1/8th second, - every second. So in standby mode GSM has more radiation, but in talk mode CDMA has more radiation because CDMA then emits continously where as GSM still 1/8 second every second. Therefore, standby time is perhaps same in GSM and CDMA but talk time is always lesser in CDMA.

Technically you are right... but in my experience (& I'm sure others here would have a similar experience), GSM phones always seem to have a longer stand by time also! My RIM ph (RD 2030) also used to conk out in max 2 - 3 days (most CDMA handsets wont even last that much) even if it was hardly used... where as all the GSM phones I'v used seem to happily go on over a week!

Also, if CDMA emits more radiation while talking, then it would be more harmful, because at that time the user will be closest to the phone... in fact right next to his brain! While it is in standby, you can most of the time keep the phone away from your body... like I do. So it seems GSM scores in the radiation dept. too!

To the extent of knowledge I have pertaining to CDMA radiation, CDMA work of Radio Waves which is much lesser harmful than GSM.

Dude, all phones work in the radio spectrum! There have been reports of technologies that work in other electromagnetic spectrums... like in the light region... but to my knowledge, no such phones are currently available for normal use.

Edited by raccoon

gsm radation is harmful than cdma..notice when the gsm phone are near to compter or landlind or tv it distrubs the whole thing....and moreover in cdma its radiates only when you are taking and not when you are listening ....its a kown fact ....and thats the only reason why european hurried into wcdma for voice and data.

Edited by suvirajshetty

gsm radation is harmful than cdma..notice when the gsm phone are near to compter or landlind or tv it distrubs the whole thing

This does not necessarily indicate that its harmful to humans any more or less than CDMA!

ok about stand by time.

In cdma phone radiation and output is based on network load. So if you have observed during high network load time cdma battery drains faster. In gsm at that time call drops frequently. therefore in cdma there are fewer call drops than gsm.

I don't about one way radiation

Are you sure about that??? I dont think GSM drops calls like that as a channel is reserved as long as you are on the call! In fact CDMA drops calls (and voice quality will deteriorate) with increasing load in a particular cell. GSM will likely drop calls while doing a hard handover...

Not sure if I remember that absolutely accurately. Guess I should dig out my books...

In my actual experience, in spite of RIM's soft handover, once in a while calls do drop while on the move. On the other hand, with Idea, in spite of being GSM and being the largest operator (hence possibility of more network load) here in Mah circle, calls drops are equally rare. So apparently there are a lot of other factors when you compare things in real life situations...

Airtel on the other end drops calls at whim... hardly matters whether you are chaging cells or stand still next to a tower or whatever... lol!

Thanks, that was a good revision...

What you said about batt drain on high (CDMA) network load is true... but not about high GSM call drops due to network load!! CDMA has an edge in the call drop dept. only because of its soft handoffs.

And Steve is also echoing, in the end, what I'v always been saying repeatedly: GSM or CDMA is not that important - its the Service Provider that makes the difference. There are a lot of people on this forum who hype CDMA as the superiour choice and stuff... perhaps because most are RIM users here... but in real life it just isn't necessarily so!! Its just your specific experience with your specific service provider that is speaking...

Edited by raccoon

agreed service provider is equally responsible to keep technology superior of inferior.

Quality of network, load, etc are major factors.

I don't think that people here favors reliance or cdma coz they r cdma users. Is discussion forum, no one has any personal stake involved. Btw we were discussing about sar.

Well, people have a tendency to think something is superiour just because they are using it... and if they are using it for a longish period, then even more interia is added to that feeling...

For eg. I have a few friends here who use Airtel here and think its the best... they will even fight for it and give you convincing arguments like they would not be no. 1 if they werent the best, no service provider is without problems, etc, etc... when in reality its worse than BSNL... human nature...

It happens, at times you become inclined because you get response the way you wanted.

I give you my example, I recently bought airtel connection because I became bitter with relince for their decision of Rs. 1/10kb charge of reliance, despite knowing that GSM is going to be nightmare for me for data. But I cant afford such astronomical prices.

When I sent airtel mail, they called me twice and sent me 3 mails in 2 days and replied me as precisely as I wanted. Means I am more than happy. Though I am just a new customer, who has not given them revenue of even Rs. 200

Where as reliance never bothered to answer me about differential KB charges though I am their premium customer with credit limit of 6K.

Anyway, lets talk about SAR, its long term health related issue.

Airtel is known to be good up north... (don't know about Guj)... but here in Poona... and probably in Mah circle it is pathetic, believe me!! I wont eve get started about the network... out of all the mails I'v written to the Nodal officer I got a super lame reply after 1 month!!! In RCom's case, I believe their CC is centralised... so I guess anybody from anywhere is going to get similar responses...

About the SAR... I guess none of us have any definitive data about which tech is least harmful?? I guess it might be safe to say (at least tentatively) that, after adding it all up, both techs are going to fry our brains to more or less the same extent... :mellow:

^^^

Exactly, if one tech was superior than the other, it would have established a very definitive lead over the other.....

So the best thing to do is to use your trusted landline as far as possible and use the mobile when you do not have access to any landlines.

Absolutely... except for the fact that calling from landline to mobiles is MUCH more expensive! :( Since 90% of the nos I call are either Idea or Airtel... I now only spend 10p/min (mobile - mobile) with both these operators...

But if anyone is concerened about safety, I guess nobody can beat the POT!!! And as a bonus you get best voice clarity and no call drops...

Edited by raccoon

i will never like to conclude so easily. Of course thewre are no definite ways and procedures to define SAR. Even test methods differ for EU and US.

At the same time, there are good and bad phones. As per hardware expert, expensive phones are safer because they can use expensive shielding metals and expensive metals for antenae, which has lower losses.

I know two persons who get headach when use phone longer than 20/30 min in one go and docrtor say it could be because of sound source very close to ears too.

I am thinking, what if we use BT headsets. As BT emits very little radiation compared to cell phones.

Intresting option... but again inconclusive and insufficient evidence. I wont be surprised after few years and with more testing, they start saying it may cause tumours or common colds or tsunamis... :Dudando:

Edited by raccoon