Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
vishalkumar

Getting Iphone From Usa

Hi guys,

I am planning to get an iPhone from USA. Hence, wanted to know the following:

1. As Hetal mentioned, we can unlock the phone using http://i.unlock.no. Is there anything else that we need to do after unlocking the phone or we can just straight away use it by inserting our SIM?

2. Are there any kind of softwares/games available for iPhone, which we can install ourselves? Can we do it ourselves by connecting the phone to Computer?

3. What is the URL for the above for getting softwares/games?

4. Does iPhone have some software like the Nokia PCSuite where we can do all the required stuff?

5. Can photos / videos be transferred via BT? Can we set our own custom tones as ringtones?

6. How is the battery life?

7. How is the overall experience of using the phone?

8. Does the 8Gb/16Gb model come along with a headset?

9. Any other information that you can provide........

Please let me know the details of the above ASAP, as I have to purchase it.

Thanks for any help.

Read in line please

Hi guys,

I am planning to get an iPhone from USA. Hence, wanted to know the following:

1. As Hetal mentioned, we can unlock the phone using http://i.unlock.no. Is there anything else that we need to do after unlocking the phone or we can just straight away use it by inserting our SIM?

Yeah thats pretty much it

2. Are there any kind of softwares/games available for iPhone, which we can install ourselves? Can we do it ourselves by connecting the phone to Computer?

yes there are a lot of third party games and s/w available

3. What is the URL for the above for getting softwares/games?

follow instructions on the website above and then u would have repositories inbuilt in install section of phone for gettting these

4. Does iPhone have some software like the Nokia PCSuite where we can do all the required stuff?

iTunes is all that u have to make do with

5. Can photos / videos be transferred via BT? Can we set our own custom tones as ringtones?

ringtones is no problem... they need to be in the .mp4 format bt transfer to computer is no problem

6. How is the battery life?

battery aint the iphone's strongest point... for heavy users its not adequate

7. How is the overall experience of using the phone?

Lots of great features... snob value... great internet experience... till it wears away like with any other phone

8. Does the 8Gb/16Gb model come along with a headset?

yes you get the earphones like with an ipod but no bt headset if thats what you mean

9. Any other information that you can provide........

try to get a feel of an iphone in your hand and play with it before u buy it

Please let me know the details of the above ASAP, as I have to purchase it.

Thanks for any help.

Hi. I am using iPhone for last few months which was 1.0.2. I have upgraded all firmwares (1.0.2->1.1.1->1.1.2->1.1.3->1.1.4) and unlocked it after each upgrade myself, which is easier than one thinks. :Chulo:

So, I think I should be able to answer your questions.

1. u will not be able to use it straight away. U can download ZiPhone from site u mentioned and it will unlock ur iphone. But there are better options. iLiberty Plus is a better option for newer firmware phones.

2&3. The above unlockers will install a shortcut "Installer" in your iPhone and from there u can install additional softwares/games. Some sources (web links) are in-built and others u can add urself. These softwares are not installed by connecting it to computer, but installed thru internet (WiFi/EDGE).

4. iTunes is the software which comes with iPhone or u can doenload it from apple website.

5. By default, no videos in iPhone but possible thru 3rd party software. Photos/Videos can not be transferred via BT. But u can transfer them to ur comp (3rd Party SW again). U can gave ur ringtones but again after a process. U cannot just transfer MP3s to iPhone.

6. Battery life is good but if u get it and show most of the features to friends it will drain out faster than u think but if u use it as a mobile (keeping WiFi, BT, others off), battery is better than most of others.

7. iPhone is ultimate style/show off statement. but file transfer / apple's proprietor file formats etc is what I hate.

8. Yes, it comes with headset.

9. OTHER INFO: To use the full capabilities, WiFi Router is must (not mentioned officially). Secondly free wala (without monthly rental) GPRS/EDGE does not work with iPhone. You will need to have something like Airtel Mobile Office / Vodafone Mobile Connect.

Enjoy ur experience with iPhone. :GirandoOjos:

^^^

Thanks Dj for the answers. I think I am comfortable with everything except the first part. I tried reading on http://i.unlock.no and it gave me lot of information which did not go in my head and got confused. I am not sure what to do and how to do. It talks a lot about the firmware and all. I will be getting the latest model, so do I have to degrade the firmware or directly unlock or it what. Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

@mukeshgoel,

Thanks for the answers. I have few more questions.

1. If the phone which I am taking has firmware 1.1.4, then do I need to degrade the firmware to unlock the phone or can I directly unlock it?

2. Also, do you mean to say that everytime a firmware upgrade is done, we will have to unlock the phone?

3. Will all our data/settings/contacts/mails be intact during this process?

4. If we use iLibertyPlus to unlock the phone, do we still have to unlock it after every firmware upgrade? Whats the difference between this and http://i.unlock.no?

5. Also, you mentioned that we will not be able to use the phone straight away after unlocking it. Can you please elaborate on it? Why we cannot use it and what needs to be done after that?

Thanks for your help.

7. iPhone is ultimate style/show off statement. but file transfer / apple's proprietor file formats etc is what I hate.

9. OTHER INFO: To use the full capabilities, WiFi Router is must (not mentioned officially). Secondly free wala (without monthly rental) GPRS/EDGE does not work with iPhone. You will need to have something like Airtel Mobile Office / Vodafone Mobile Connect.

For #7, can you please elaborate more on the problems that you have mentioned?

For #9, what can we do if we dont have WiFi Router? Also, for installing games/softwares, can we do it via our Airtel Mobile office? What is the speed that we get in it?

Also, I hope for unlocking the phone we will not require the WiFi connection.

Hi.

1. U can directly unlock 1.1.4 no need to downgrade.

2. Yes, everytime u upgrade the firmware, u need to unlock it (5-10 minutes) and install the additional programs.

3. if u upgrade it, all data/settings/contacts/mails will remain intact. However, it is recommended to do restore (everything gone) and not upgrade the new firmware. It is always a good idea to make a folder in your comp and keep all data/songs/videos etc in that folder and u sync that folder with iPhone. Contacts are synced with MS Outlook (thru iTunes). Cant say anything abt mail coz it is anyways on the server so never cared to restore email.

4. Yes, everytime u upgrade the firmware (whether it was unlocked by ZiPhone or iLiberyy Plus) u need to unlock it. "http://i.unlock.no" suggests using ziphone which downgrades the original baseband version 4.6 to 3.9 whereas iLibertyplus doesn't.

5. I mentioned that we will not be able to use the phone straight away (without unlocking). You can use it after unlocking

#7, u just cant add an MP3/ringtones u like to your phone, u need to go to the same comp u r synced with, run itune and do things. No official method to transfer pics to your comp. and many others. You need to convert videos to mp4 then sync thru iTunes.

#9, Wifi NOT required for unlocking. Airtel Mobile office can be used to install 3rd party apps. Speed is ok. There is software called iphonebrowser, to transfer pics and all but it did not work for me and I have to use WinSCP giving IP address of iPhone on WiFi network, and there are other features which makes it use like a laptop if u have wifi. Internet surfing is so easy as on on a laptop, 90% of the site open perfectly on its safari browser. I have even transferred money from my ICICI account to a friend's non-icici a/c easily (that was using EDGE).

Hope u got all ur answer. :)

anytime friend...