Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ashoksoft

Htc Tweaks

thanks a lot vijay, but i wanted the pictures to be stored in a seperate directory (like \storage card\my pictures\camera pictures\) if this is possible, do let me know.- Yes this possible

do you have the cab files for the above 2 mentioned softwares (htc audio manager and core player)?this software include in hetals new rom

^^^ how do you change the directory to the one i mentioned above??

and can you pm or email me kunalmakwana@gmail.com the cab file of the HTC audio manager and core player? (Because im not using hetal's rom :) )

Edited by Greatest

Can we play you tube videos on S720?

When I play a clip it gives error.

@Saurav

We played you tube in hetals latest rom but not know about ur S720 but i think it is surly possible because it will work in mogul .

Edited by vijaymalhotra_2007

S720 is Smartphone, There are totally difrerent applications for Smartphone and Pocket PC

@AMit

what is the diffreance beetween smartphone and ppc

Hi VM, I've some data on same topic, hope it will help you at some level.

=============================

Displays—Is smaller better?

One of the major differences you’ll notice right off the bat is that the Smartphone uses a smaller display than the Pocket PC Phone Edition. The 176 x 220-pixel Smartphone display is significantly smaller than the 240 x 320-pixel display of the Phone Edition. So you’re probably wondering what you can do to make the screens easier to read. Well, with the Phone Edition, in some applications you can bold the fonts. On the Smartphone you can adjust the font size using Start > Settings > Accessibility. The options are Normal and Large. Large is about 1 1/2 times the size of Normal. This feature will be important for users who have a hard time reading small type. Neither the Phone Edition nor the Smartphone natively support screen rotation, so viewing Web sites and using other apps can be more difficult than on the desktop.

Input methods—How much data entry do you need?

Another big difference that you’ll notice when you place a Smartphone next to a Phone Edition is that the Smartphone has phone-style buttons for dialing and navigation. To enter data in the Smartphone you have to press the number buttons multiple times to select the correct character, which can be tedious for large amounts of data. For input, the Phone Edition uses a touch screen with pop-up keyboard or with handwriting recognition through such programs as Transcriber. It also has buttons for navigation, volume, and placing or ending calls. So if you need to perform any significant amount of data entry for e-mail or notes, you will want to use a Phone Edition.

Many Pocket PC Phone Edition applications support “ink” stylus input while the Smartphone does not. Both the Phone Edition and the Smartphone support external keyboards; however, there is not a great variety of keyboards for Smartphone users right now.

Also, unlike most high-end cellular phones, neither the Smartphone nor the Phone Edition ships with voice recognition, so you may want to look at purchasing a third-party application

Expandability / Storage

One of the big differences between the Smartphone and the Phone Edition is that most Phone Editions support CompactFlash and Secure Digital (SD) cards. If you need memory expansion to augment the paltry 8 MB of RAM of some Smartphones, their SD slot does offer the ability to store files. However, not all Smartphone SD slots support SDIO, which is the new standard for SD-based peripherals such as cameras, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi. Also, not all peripherals offer Smartphone drivers, so check that out first if you’re purchasing a peripheral for a Smartphone.

Connectivity

The Phone Edition and Smartphone share similar out-of-the-box connectivity. They both support the ability to place and receive phone calls as well as to connect to the Internet using GPRS or 1xRTT, depending on the carrier that is supported. (As the user, you must decide whether GPRS or 1xRTT is worth the additional cost per month for Internet access.) Both devices will support infrared synchronization and beaming of contacts if your PC has an IR port, as well as USB synchronization.

When using the connectivity, you will notice some significant differences between the Smartphone and the Phone Edition. One of the major differences is that the Smartphone supports only one e-mail account for synchronization or dialup access. The Phone Edition supports multiple e-mail accounts (I’ve configured up to four) at the same time, but you have to download the e-mail from one account at a time. Also, the Phone Edition’s screen allows you to see more of a Web site than the Smartphone’s does, due to the larger size. I highly recommend that you test any Web site you’ll be wanting to access on both the Phone Edition and Smartphone so you can see the difference. One last thought about the Smartphone and its usability: With GSM, the Smartphone must have a SIM card installed in order for you to receive any data on the device.

Applications

Right now the Phone Edition supports many more built-in and third-party applications than the Smartphone does. This is because the Pocket PC OS is nearly four years old, whereas the Smartphone has been out just over a year. Some carriers, such as Orange, require third-party developers to have their applications “digitally signed” by the carrier. This means that the user cannot install applications that do not bear this seal of approval from the carrier. The process of acquiring this digital signature costs the developer time and money, thus discouraging the development of new Smartphone applications.

Also, the following applications are available on the Phone Edition and not on the Smartphone: Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, Terminal Services Client, Notes, File Explorer, Microsoft Reader, Pictures, and SIM Contacts.

Overall usability

Overall conclusion after comparing the Smartphone to the Phone Edition. If you just need to view your calendar, contacts, tasks, and e-mail, then the Smartphone will meet your needs. If you need to perform a significant amount of data entry, to read or write Word or Excel files, or to use more than one e-mail account, then a Phone Edition will better meet your needs. As always, it comes down to a personal preference on the features, so enterprise users should try both to understand the differences.

==========================

So there are actually 4 types of devices under the Windows Mobile brand:

- SmartPhone

- Pocket PC

- Pocket PC Phone Edition

- Portable Media Center

All of the device can be synchronized with data on your Windows PC (appointments, e-mail and contacts in Outlook, files ++)

SmartPhones are basically advanced cell phones. Their main usage is making phone calls, but they also include applications like calendar, tasks, windows media player, solitaire ++. You can also connect the SmartPhone to the internet if you have a wireless data plan. This would allow you to do stuff like browse web pages and chat using instant messaging. SmartPhone Thoughts is a great web page for SmartPhone related information. Here's a picture of a typical SmartPhone.

Pocket PCs are Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) devices. They are larger than Smartphones and are usually used as an advanced organizer with applications like calendar, tasks, Pocket Word and Pocket Excel. The Pocket PCs have a much bigger screen than SmartPhones, and the screen is also touch sensitive – so you use a pen and tap on the screen to utilize your Pocket PC. The Pocket PC is also great for stuff like listening to music, watching videos and playing games. Many Pocket PCs have wireless network capabilities which means that you can do stuff like surfing the web (with Pocket Internet Explorer) and instant messaging (Messenger) if you are near a wireless access point. PocketPC Thoughts is a great web page for Pocket PC related information. Here's a picture of a typical Pocket PC.

The Pocket PC Phone Edition is just a Pocket PC that has an integrated cell phone. It can do all the same things as a normal Pocket PC, but in addition you can make/receive phone calls and connect to the internet if you have a wireless data plan. Here's a picture of a typical Pocket PC Phone Edition device.

There are Smartphones and Pocket PC Phone Edition devices for all GSM standards and there are also devices for the CDMA cell phone network.

The Portable Media Center is basically a portable music and video player. You can also wacth digital photos on it. Here's a picture of a portable Media Center device.

If you are mainly going to use the phone functionality and want a really small device I would go for a Smartphone. If you do not need a new cell phone, but want to have data from your PC on the go or want to use more advanced applications than what's possible on a Smartphone (the screen size is quite limiting) then go for a Pocket PC. If you want both go for the Pocket PC Phone Edition

==================================

Falling under the category of mobile devices, today's consumer electronics serve multiple purposes. Years ago, cellular phones, also called cellphone or mobile phone, served one purpose only: They let you send and receive voice communications. Today, mobile phones and similar devices are equipped with customized software, Internet access, digital cameras, portable music players, GPS functions and many more options.

Once again technological advancements make common terminology such as mobile phone, smartphone, PDA and PDA phone difficult to decipher as each type of device changes constantly and features traditionally belonging to one type of device are now found on others. Here we will explore the popular category of mobile communication devices, the similarities and differences between some of the popular products.

What Is a Mobile Phone?

A mobile phone is more frequently called a cellular phone or cellphone. These communication devices connect to a wireless communications network through radio waves or satellite transmissions. Most mobile phones provide voice communications, Short Message Service (SMS), Multimedia Message Service (MMS), and newer phones may also provide Internet services such as Web browsing, instant messaging capabilities and e-mail.

What Is a PDA?

Short for personal digital assistant, this is the name given to small handheld devices that combine computing, telephone/fax, Internet and networking features. A typical PDA can function as a cellular phone, fax sender, Web browser and personal organizer. These devices are usually pen-based, which requires the use of a stylus rather than a keyboard for input. PDAs today are available in either a stylus or keyboard version. Traditionally, PDAs have not had phone or fax services.

What Is a Smartphone?

A smartphone is considered to be the combination of the traditional PDA and cellular phone, with a bigger focus on the cellular phone part. These handheld devices integrates mobile phone capabilities with the more common features of a handheld computer or PDA. Smartphones allow users to store information, e-mail, install programs, along with using a mobile phone in one device. A smartphone's features is usually more oriented towards mobile phone options than the PDA-like features. There is no industry standard for what defines a smartphone, so any mobile device that has more than basic cellphone capabilities can actually be filed under the smartphone category of devices.

Key Terms To Understanding mobile devices

mobile phone

smartphone

PDA

Pocket PC

Related "What's The Diff?" Articles on Webopedia:

iPod vs. MP3 Players: What's the Diff?

The Differences Between Hubs, Switches and Routers

The Differences Between Thick and Thin Clients

The Differences and Features of Hardware & Software Firewalls?

The Difference Between a Virus, Worm and Trojan Horse

The Differences Between WEP and WPA

The Difference Between SCSI, ATA, SAS and SATA

What Is a PDA Phone?

It's definitely a lack of standardization that makes the category of mobile devices so confusing to the consumer. As technology changes, so do the functions that these different devices perform. Years ago, many people differentiated PDA and smartphone simply by looking for touch-screen capabilities. If it had a touch screen it was a PDA, if it didn't, it was a smartphone. The Sony Ericsson Smartphone, for example, offers users both a touch screen and a full QWERTY keyboard. Despite the fact that the manufacturer calls this product a smartphone, the generic term for a PDA oriented device with cellular phone capabilities is called a PDA phone.

Fuzzy Lines Between Smart Devices

Even if you can now decide for yourself if a mobile device is simply a cellular phone, a smartphone, a PDA or PDA phone, the fine lines between these types of mobile devices are about to get blurred again as we add in new terms to the mix like Pocket PC, and Smartphone (with a capital letter).

So starting with the difference between smartphone, as we've discussed above: When capitalized, it refers to Microsoft's Smartphone platform, which is used for a variety of mobile devices. The latest version, Windows Mobile 6 actually removes the word Smartphone from its title, and over time this should help lessen the confusion between smartphone and Smartphone. Interestingly, , one of the three versions of Windows Mobile 6 is called Windows Mobile 6 Standard for Smartphones. Here the "For Smartphones" means "phones without touch screens".

The Pocket PC itself is not a specific category of mobile devices, but rather the name given to PDAs that use the Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system. Much like the category of PDA devices, Pocket PCs features are focused on computing and data tasks with other features, like cellular phone capabilities being secondary to the PDA functions. The Pocket PC is one device that is standardized. In order to carry the Pocket PC label the device must meet specific criteria such as use Microsoft's Windows Mobile for Pocket PCs, include a touch screen, include a touchpad, and other specifications.

Some Popular Examples

The popular Apple iPhone is a combination smartphone and iPod

The HP iPAQ Mobile Messenger is a Pocket PC

The LG Prada is a cellular phone with a touch screen — but its not a smartphone

The RIM BlackBerry 8800 is considered a smartphone — but its borderline on being a handheld PC device due to its size and features

The Palm Treo 700p is a PDA phone

The Motorola Q is also considered to be a PDA phone

What's The Differences, Again?

In summing up the differences between these common mobile communications devices you could say that a PDA phone is more PDA than phone and a smartphone is more phone than PDA. And, of course, a cellular phone is more phone than anything else.

DID YOU KNOW...

The first cellular call was placed on April 3, 1973 by Martin Cooper who was the general manager of Motorola's Communications Systems Division. He made the call to his rival, Joel Engel, Bell Labs head of research. (Source: Selling The Cell Phone)

==============================

breg

S@N

^^^ good explanation sanjeev!!.... but dont u think its a lil huge :)

.... and lil bit technical too :)

Thank you for a very comprehensive explanation Sanjeev. It might seem a bit technical, but that's what I love about that post! :P

@Sanjeev

Thanks lot for explain.

HI AlL,

im facing this strange problem, using Hetals's earlier ROM. i am able to get the phone ringtone, but not sms tone. So have to check all the time time if i have recd the sms. pl can any1 help me out with this.

Regards,

Kishore

are you on threaded SMS mode?

I have work for my friend touch when i am dial ##3424# the dm router is not work i am on sprint original rom please help?

.... and lil bit technical too :)

Hi, :signthankspin: Yes I've tried to posted long details so that one can go thru every espect so that if you are going thru 100% details then it's sure you will be able to understand 60% at any cost :rofl_200: but definitely if one is using mobile from around 1 yr then it should not be very difficult to make the difference between both devices.

Else in the simple language you can call Sadik and request to purchase HTC Touch 6900 (if you are looking for a stylish, compact, featured WM device) or 6800 (if typing is common activity on daily basis) :Contento::Contento::Contento:

breg

S@N

HI AlL,

im facing this strange problem, using Hetals's earlier ROM. i am able to get the phone ringtone, but not sms tone. So have to check all the time time if i have recd the sms. pl can any1 help me out with this.

Regards,

Kishore

Goto Registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Sounds/RingTone0/

Name Value

(Default) (value not set) (dont change values)

Catgory Ring (dont change values)

SavedSound \Windows\Ring-Raining.wma (I think ur selected or default ringtone dont change values)

Script apw3r (I dont know what it is dont change it values)

Sound ..................................

IN SOUND PASTE WHATEVER LOCATION IS THERE IN SAVEDSOUND. I'VE DONE THIS AND I'M GETTING RINGTONE. DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE. YOU CAN RESTART IT WOULD NOT REVERT BACK. YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE RINGTONE TILL HETAL HELPS OUT.

I'm using titan. I was facing a problem with typing on keyboard. I found this

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=251338#post251338 and

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...8871&page=2

from where I've just installed the file. It has solved the problems of others. Try if you have the problem.

HTC_Titan_KeyFix.zip

PLEASE HELP ME.....

I DROPPED MY HTC P3000 PHONE ONLY ONCE FEW DAYS BACK AND SINCE THEN ITS RINGTONE IS NOT WORKING..I MEAN THERE IS NO SOUND IN THE PHONE ..PRESENTLY I AM USING IT ON VIBRATING MODE BUT ITS NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO KEEP THE PHONE WITH U ......ALSO IAM AT VAPI GUJARAT AND IM NOT AWARE OF ANY OF THE HTC SERVICE CENTERS HERE IN MY CITY....CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE.......I WILL BE HIGHLY OBLIGED.....

Came across an awesome cab file that I thought I'd share with you guys.

This cab makes the numbers of the keypad for the Touch vibrate when you press each number while you're dialling, giving a nice tactile sensation. I found it helpful as it gives me a confirmation that I have actually pressed the key when I am entering the numbers on the screen dialer.

I've tested it on my Touch and it works great. In fact I think it makes the dialer a lot more faster to key in the numbers now.

Check it out if you like and post your opinions :)

PS: To remove it, just uninstall the cab file. That's all.

Vibrate.zip

I just installed this and also uninstalled it. The thing is that the Keypad tones have changed after uninstalling this. Now I hear a monotonous tone after each key press instead of the Standard Keypad Tones which were different for each number. Could anybody Pls give me a resolution for this (any registry entry) without Hard Reseting my device, so that I can return to the Standard Keypad Tones.

Anupe/Others - Help Please.

Thanks in advance...

@Dhiraj: Might be an issue since you're running on a custom ROM? I just uninstalled it and my keypad tones were working normally again. As you know I'm running on original Sprint, so that may be why its still working fine. Not sure.Give me a little time, I'll search around and see if something can be done to fix your problem.

I put the vibration cab back on after checking if there were any issues. I preferred the touch sensation to hearing the tone sounds :P

Has Sprint released the new original rom for its mogul?? im waiting for its release..!!

@Gretest

Use sprint 3.56rom with 3.42radio nice work for me i am now using this rom in my mogul

Alright this is my first time on this site. But I have a question about this cool new phone I have, Does anyone else witht the 6900 have the problem that when someone calls you cant see the number or who it is until you answer the phone?

@vijay

You on Plain Sprint ROM? Send me your e-mail and contact no. I need to talk yo you.

Hi !

I want solution of 2 problems.

1. In dialer, the name and number that appears is too small, how can we increase the font size?

2. Every now and then, a notification apperas "Delhi" even if I am in Delhi through out. Is there a method to disable it ?

I know lot of experts here...so I am quite hopeful to get a solution. :)

Regards

MG

Edit: Oops....I am talking about HTC Touch 6900.

Edited by mgdelhi