Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kshah

Discussion Topic For Palm Os Based Handsets, Softwares, Utilities, Comparision Etc

I am been using Palm treo 700P since last more than 8 months and I must say I am very happy. Infact happier than WM but still PALM is not ultimate OS. But I would like all Palm users to post their requirement, problem and feed back to help other RIMwebians to choose palm phones which are much cheaper and has superb performance.

Pros of PALM OS

1. Very stable OS.

2. Pretty faster than WM5

3. One hand usage of phone as well Palm is possible.

4. Very intutive OS design.

5. Can record conversation. Perhaps only smart phone in CDMA which support call recording.

6. Full MS office, PDF support.

7. Full media support.

8. Very simple UI (This is cons too for many)

9. Superb battery life, due to excellent power management.

10. Excellent mail clients like Snapper

Cons of PALM OS

1. Old OS

2. No major upgrade since last 5 years.

3. No multi true tasking (However due to very fast OS, I do not miss multi tasking)

4. Very Simple UI

5. Compared to Pocket IE, browser is weak.

6. Can not play WMV files due to patent issues.

I request all PALM users to post their experiences, softwares they use for others.

Edited by kshah

Hi Kshah,

Don't have a palm with me as of now .. but about the Wmv part .. there was something ... can't quite recollect the software .. but I had used it on a palm quite sometime back .. lemme rack my old rusty brain .. might get a thought .. will let you know :D

cheers

karki

streaming WMV is possible with I think Kimona / Kimono player. But now WMV as file (AFAIK)

I am just loving my Treo 755P.

Dont know how i miss this gr8 handset all this years :)

Welcome to "MINOR LEAGUE" :biggrinthumb:

"MAJOR LEAGUE" till now is HTC in window mobile in reliance.

Welcome to "MINOR LEAGUE" :biggrinthumb:

:thumb::thumb::GirandoOjos:

Dear Kshah,

I am a Palm Treo use and have been using treo (GSM) for over 2 years. I want to start using Reliance Mobile now and would like to understand how to get Palm Treo on Reliance working.

I asked Reliance WebWorld if I get a Treo 700P was abroad and ask them to activate it for me, they refused.

Can you please guide how can I get the Treo 700P activated with Reliance Mobile?

Thanks!

Hey CONCON u can buy it from me to get it working on reliance, and its not 700P its 755P.

Hoping soon palm Centro is also on our list.

You can buy from E bay, but best would be to buy from person like sadik or the one who regularly import handset in bulk, so that your hassles are passed on to importer and also that way you get stuff ate better price than importing on your own.

Relianc do not accept phones from outside, so they have to be forced to run on reliance.

Thanks Kshah/ Sadik!

Sadik : I have sent you an email (on the id in your signatures) requesting for details of the offer that you shared above. Will await your response. Thanks!

Relianc do not accept phones from outside, so they have to be forced to run on reliance.

Dear Kshah,

Could you also share more on what you mentioned above? How did you force your Treo to work with RIM?

I am keen to learn more about this. Thanks!

Kshah ji any auto answering machine for garnet ??

Dear Kshah,

Could you also share more on what you mentioned above? How did you force your Treo to work with RIM?

I am keen to learn more about this. Thanks!

It can not be discussed here. If you have phone, rest assured, it can be done. someone will assist you fully.

It can not be discussed here. If you have phone, rest assured, it can be done. someone will assist you fully.

Thanks Kshah!

I will try to get one soon and will connect back. Thanks for your offer to help.

Regards.

Edited by concon

anytime, welcome. I would love to expand treo community. :)

kshah, which palm device would u suggest for running reliance?? also in the palm phone, which OS is better, palm or wm?

kshah, which palm device would u suggest for running reliance?? also in the palm phone, which OS is better, palm or wm?

PALM or WM is personal choice. I was too apprehensive for palm due to my bad experience with Kyocera 7135 (PAlm 3.5) But I was wrong when I saw palm garnet (5.4) At the same time I had not very great experience with WM2003 as well.

Palm is simple OS, not very ornamented / jazzy. Where as WM is modern highly ornamented OS.

Palm device can be used with one hand, WM can never.

Palm has almost all sort of applications but in ratio of 1 for every 100 applications for WM may be even less.

Right now only 2 devices which can be used on RIM 700P and 755P

May be centro in next few days (not sure) keep visiting this place for update.

@ kshah: What about the UI of both OS?

Which one is better?

Can you please post some screenshots of Palm OS

Aesthetically WM UI is definitely superior at the same time WM can not be used single handedly, where as Palm can be, infact you seldom need to take out stylus of touch screen. I dont know how to take screenshot of palm but will try to post ASAP.

Edited by kshah

If Screenshots are not possible, Just click the pictures from Camera.

Here are the screen shots

1. Phone interface Just like any other touch screen phone

post-842-1213072476_thumb.jpg

You can see two buttons in bottom, they are quick launch buttons and there are 14 in each page and total 5 pages means 70 quick launch. These can be programmed for contacts and programs

post-842-1213072668_thumb.jpg

2. Basic launcher screen of ORIGINAL PALM

post-842-1213072701_thumb.jpg

you can define catagories to make page smaller and more organized

post-842-1213072759_thumb.jpg

3. Today screen with add on software (Launcher called Megalauncher, there are other launchers too with different interface themes)

post-842-1213072824_thumb.jpg

various drop down menus

post-842-1213072860_thumb.jpg post-842-1213072878_thumb.jpg

4. Control panel, known as preferences in PALM

post-842-1213072878_thumb.jpg

post-842-1213072913_thumb.jpg

The UI as told, is not as rich as WM, but then Palm will also not be battery hogger like WM i suppose.... :P

Surely not. My 700P gives me more than 200 mins of TT