Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honest

Updated : Samsung Touchwiz (f480) Launched In India !

Samsung Announces the Touchwiz Phone

Samsung has announced the launch of Touchwiz SGH-F480, its latest full touch screen smart phone featuring a new img4.gif user interface (UI) with specially designed widgets to customize and personalize usage of the phone.

Housed in a 11.6-mm thick credit-card sized design, Touchwiz comes with a drag and drop feature allowing users instant access to functions at one touch. The widgets menu displays functions such as clock, radio player, music player, photos, and reminders that can be dragged and dropped onto the home screen. Additionally, tactile technology gives users a tangible feedback sensation on a selection of items.

Touchwiz, sporting a 2.8-inches TFT LCD display, boasts all multimedia functions including integrated FM radio, 5 mega pixels camera with auto-focus and CMOS video lens, 240 MB internal music memory, and support for expandable memory up to 8GB. The camera offers digital SLR specific functions such as automatic face detection technology and image stabilizer. It also features a smile shot mode that enables the camera to detect when the subject is smiling and automatically take a picture.

Some other Touchwiz features include: video recording, editing and playback, video telephony, mobile blogging, mobile printing, Google Map or email or search, and RSS reader. For Internet connectivity, the new smart phone features high-speed Internet access (HSDPA) and USB 2.0 connectivity for file transfer and downloads.

Samsung Touchwiz SGH-F480 is scheduled to launch in Europe in June followed by other GSM regions. We don't still know about its India availability.

Source : Techtree

post-8210-1211791976_thumb.jpg

So every one is following Iphone looks, now a days.

^^^

Yes my dear friend, now a days the trend is of Iphone look a like phones. Every mobile manufacturer want to leech the booty out of it.

Regards.

Iphone Clones

Top iPhone Killers: The List So Far - Iimg_64151_iphone_hero.jpg

By: Shayne Rana | May 16,2008

I'll wager that the iPhone is as universal a term as Superman. It's become a household name. Nothing that popular would be without a ton of rivals, lookalikes, copycats, and plain old rip-offs. Ever since the iPhone made its debut, there have been so many companies trying to beat Apple at their own game.

Touchscreen technology is not new, but the kind of technology that the iPhone uses is unlike anything we've seen in the past. The iPhone may lack features that even some of the lower-end handsets have, but from what I understand, owning one is an experience. There's always something abuzz with the iPhone, so much so that there isn't a day that goes by that it isn't mentioned in the news.

What I have here is a list of handsets that consider themselves to be iPhone Killers (or iKillers, as I call them). In this instalment, I've listed the handsets that have been making the mobile scene for awhile now. Some of them have already been launched, while others are still waiting for their day in the sun.

LG KU990 Viewty

The KU990 is equipped with a 5 megapixel auto-focus camera with a strobe flash and Schneider Kreuznach lens that shoots video VGA at 30fps and QVGA up to 120fps. That feature itself is leagues ahead of the iPhone's measly 2 megapixel-no-frills camera.

img_64171_ku990_viewty.jpg

The KU990 has a 3-inch touch screen display but it's nothing like the iPhone's multi-touch input method with an Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate and a Proximity sensor for auto turn-off. This is pretty much what makes the iPhone, well, the iPhone. But the Viewty has plenty more on offer, such as a secondary videocall camera, DivX player, document viewer and an integrated FM radio.

This handset supports external memory up to 2GB, unlike the iPhone's inbuilt memory of up to 16GB (depending on the model you choose). The Viewty also has Bluetooth with an A2DP profile – something lacking in the iPhone. There's no Wi-Fi but 3G HSDPA support makes up for that oversight.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1

The Xperia X1 is a Windows Mobile device running on version 6.1. It also has a 3-inch touchscreen display and a superb slide-out QWERTY keypad. Even so, the handset is quite slim. The X1 has a small touch-sensitive nav-pad just below the screen, which acts somewhat like an optical mouse. Other features include Wi-Fi, 3G support with HSDPA, and Bluetooth with an A2DP profile.

img_64191_xperia_x1.jpg

The X1 is equipped with a 3 megapixel auto-focus camera with a flash and it has a secondary camera for video calling. A GPS receiver is integrated into the handset and it supports aGPS. Similar to the iPhone's auto screen rotation feature (but not the same), the X1 also has a motion sensor that rotates the display. It supports external memory with microSD cards and comes with 400MB of internal storage.

HTC Touch

The Touch is a super-slim Windows Mobile handset that runs on Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional. This handset has a special navigation system called TouchFLO, which lets you activate certain functions and features with a sweep of your fingers. It's not as smooth as the iPhone's though – it doesn't even come close. But it offers features like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It also has handwriting recognition, so typing messages using the stylus would be easier.

img_64161_htc_touch_450x360.jpg

The Touch comes with a 2.8 inch TFT touchscreen and a 2 megapixel camera, and supports microSD cards. The best part about the phone, at least in my book, is the hot-swap slot for the SIM card. HTC relaunched the Touch and added a QWERTY slide-down keypad; this new handset is called the Touch Dual, for Dual Input.

img_64201_touch_dual_450x360.jpg

Samsung F490

The F490 actually has a larger screen than the iPhone – or for that matter most other touchscreen phones available. The screen size is 3.3 inches, with a resolution of 240x432 pixels and 256K colors. It comes equipped with a 5 megapixel auto-focus camera with flash, and a secondary camera for video calling. It also supports external memory with microSD cards and comes with 130MB of shared memory.

img_64181_sgh_f490_450x360.jpg

The Samsung F490 supports 3G with HSDPA, among other things. It doesn't come with Wi-Fi, but it does support EDGE and also has a Stereo Bluetooth profile. There's no doubt the F490 is quite a sleek-looking handset, with an all-black finish.

These phones may not necessarily be better than the iPhone, even if they often boast a lot more features than Apple's handset. Apple has tried to make the iPhone a state-of-the-art mobile device, but there's so much more one can expect from it.

img_64141_iphone_killers_450x360.jpg

It's only a matter of time before the 3G version is out, for example. The big question is – will Apple do something about other features, such as upping the camera and allowing copy/paste of music rather than relying on iTunes? At least the handsets reviewed above don't require proprietary software for simple jobs like transferring MP3 files!

I shall be compiling a second instalment next week, and adding more iKiller handsets. If you'd like to see your favorite devices in the list – or simply want to sound off on our take on 'iPhone Killers' – feel free to leave your comments and suggestions.

Top iPhone Killers: The List Continues (Part II)

By: Shayne Rana | May 24,2008

In Part I of this feature I showcased a few handsets that most would consider to be the perfect contender for the title of iPhone Killer. In this instalment, I have a list of a few more handset that fit the bill. Once again, let me explain that most some of these handsets might still be in the drawing board stage or not yet officially cleared for launch. But that doesn't mean these companies won't be coming up with a handset that could take on the iPhone...

HTC Diamond

img_65401_htc_touch_diamond_angle_450x360.jpg

By popular demand and of course as an obvious contender for this list is HTC's latest offering in the Windows Mobile segment: the Touch Diamond. Like the previous Touch model, the Diamond also uses HTC's TouchFLO technology, only this one has a bit of an upgrade – it's 3D. The HTC Touch Diamond has plenty to offer all kinds of users, from a 3 megapixel auto-focus camera to a media player and an FM radio. Other features include GPS with A-GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with A2DP, and 3G with HSDPA. The Diamond comes with 4GB of internal space. The best part is it's just been launched here in India.

BlackBerry Thunder

img_65441_bb_thunder_450x360.jpg

Enterprise mobile developer BlackBerry certainly didn't want to be left out of the race. Their offering to the list of i-Killers is the sleek BlackBerry 9500 Thunder. Though it may seem a bit more official now than it did about a week ago, the design may not be off the drawing board yet. There aren't too many specs revealed either. According to the pictures making the rounds, this handset looks promising. It has a full touch screen interface for what looks to easily be a 3.inch TFT display. A touchscreen BlackBerry does have potential, so we'll have to just wait and see what this baby's all about.

Philips

img_65431_x800_2_450x360.jpg

Philips has launched not one but two handsets that are would-be competitors for the iPhone. There isn't too much information available about these handsets, but from the images floating around, they both seem to be totally touchscreen mobiles with relatively large displays. The X800 is equipped with a 2.9-inch TFT touchscreen with 240 x 400 pixel resolution and 262K colors. It supports external memory via microSD cards and comes with a 2 megapixel auto-focus camera. Other features include Bluetooth and handwriting recognition. It may have a slightly smaller display, but till the iPhone's camera is beefed up with more features, it looks as if this could be a close competitor.

img_65451_xenium_x_connect_450x360.jpg

img_65451_xenium_x_connect_450x360.jpg

Philips' second handset is called the Xenium X-Connect, and this device is supposed to run on a Windows Mobile Platform. Rumor has it that the X-Connect would also be GPS-enabled and support Bluetooth. It's expected to have a 3-inch TFT touchscreen display.

Meizu MiniOne

img_65461_new_design_450x360.jpg

In China this handset is called the iPhone Clone as it's probably the closest you can get to the real thing in terms of design and interface. The MiniOne M8 offers quite a few features though, such as Wi-Fi, a 3.2-inch touchscreen, a 3MP auto-focus camera, and a Line-In as well as a TV-Out. Even the OS has been tweaked to resemble the iPhone's. Whether or not this could be considered a tribute to Apple's handset is a different story... for all we know, a hefty lawsuit just could be in the works. The M8 also has the iPhone's 'Single Button' feature. In the immortal words of Mr Chandler Bing – could this BE any more similar?

I've been getting a lot of feedback from readers, but naturally I'd like more. If there are any phones you'd like to add to the list, please feel free to let us know though our forums, or leave a comment. The iPhone really is a phenomenon and it does seem as if every other mobile manufacturer is out to make its name bigger by beating it silly. I wonder who the winner could be, or who would come the closest to being a true equal – if not go one better. Stay tuned and let us know of any more iKillers you may come across.

Courtesy: Tech2.com

Edited by KumaarShah

HTC Diamond is the only one which is a big threat to Iphone & probably the only one which can take the limelight away from Iphone.

HTC Diamond is the only one which is a big threat to Iphone & probably the only one which can take the limelight away from Iphone.

It's a pity, all the best handsets are in GSM. We, the CDMA subscribers will just go on watching and envying.

oh common... iPhone is good just as iPod is good --- thats it - it ends there, yes i use the word "good". Just as there are loads of more funtional iPod alternatives, similarly there will be loads of more funtional iPhone varieties.

But one thing, unlike the iPods, iPhones will not become that much a household name/product. Entry level iPods are available below 2k whereas it it will be 26/27k plus for iphones. When it comes to spending 25k, its definete that just the 'skin colour' is not enuf, nor is 'drool' enough, u need to look for 'real meat' - real features, where iPhone wont be able to 'push' hard.

Its always a different story in the US, but else where - will it be able to shake off Nokia and others... will we forget the communicators, the Es, the Ns, the SE Ps and so on.

I think Iphone itself is a niche, people want to say Iphone killers because Iphone set trend, they took risk which no leader one took. Think of proximity sensors, 480 pixels screen, motion sensors, almost perfect gestures, glass screen and so on.

I think I phone despite having many limitations has created history and no one can replace iphone in true sense. Apple has proved so far that they create history in technology.

^^^

Very true my dear friend. Leader is always a Leader.

Regards.

@Kumar u have good collection for comparision

^^^

Very true my dear friend. Leader is always a Leader.

Regards.

But, there are cons even if it is the leader.

iPhone does NOT support MMS. When someone sends an MMS to you, and you are using iPhone, nothing happens. You don't get a notification either.

You cannot forward an SMS! It doesn't have anything named `Sent items' in text messaging.

Nothing can be copied and pasted a la what you can easily do in a Pocket PC or in any other smart mobile.

You don't have the facilities like instant messaging or voice dialing. Voice dialing is a feature you can find even in sub-Rs1000 handsets.

You cannot use a stylus on its touchscreen. It likes to be touched!

Because the keypad works on touch only and because everybody's fingers are not the same size or shape, it isn't hard to make mistakes. It takes time to get used to the virtual keyboard.

Camera is decent but not superb. It has a 2.0 MP cam. But no digital zoom or flash! And worst of it is, you can't video record unless you have third-party applications!

You just can't buy a bluetooth headset and start listening iTunes over A2DP profile. It strictly supports the Apple iPhone Bluetooth headset only. Another bottleneck is you cannot transmit data like contacts or pictures via bluetooth!

iPhone has fixed storage capacity only - either 8GB or 16 GB of flash drive. But you cannot expand its storage capacity as it doesn't have memory expansion slot! In today's world, even 16 GB will make you feel suffering from penury.

I just made a list of negatives about iPhone. Still as it stands, the iPhone is worth to be owned if you want to get noticed. Despite having the drawbacks, it has got the power to make style statements.

@Kumar u have good collection for comparision

Thanks Vijay for your compliments, But it was reported in the Tech2.com and I just reproduced it ehre for everyone's benefit and knowledge.

This is how Apple has become Apple - when u can sell "DROOL", why sell features... after all drool sells more than features.

And I suffer premonitions, confirmed suspicion... of the holocaust to come... holocaust when Apple will become the next Microsoft and iphone trotting guys will be seen downloading iTunes at 'not iphone trotting' friends place to transfer mere mp3s... well there is too much proprietorship with apple - and its strings will choke the veins of free information soon.

And off course this leader will banish mankind from sharing certain things over bluetooth and soon u'll have only one music shop in the world -- the very term "shop" for music seems so !!!!!.

Soon they will give u brilliant screens but nothing to ogle at... well at least ur friends can as they share that latest wallpaper... well iPhone users will prefer to purchase it from some place if available.

And they will say - camera phones r for camera and not videos. But u'll say - I need d video too, it will say 'purchase the third party "Video recorder"

But sure when ur bored, u can enjoy "proximity warning" flashing red on ur screen - after all it has proximity sensors and what not - seems more like some car with parking aid. It reminds me of those scenes in Matrix

And u'll feel proud among peers but when back at home u know the real story.

More over there will be two iPhone types in India - one Airtel type, the other Vodafone type - but non the free type - so practically u'll be locked with one sim.

@Sougata - it seems you went thru the iphone write up in Telegraph :)

Samsung eyes double-digit mkt share; to launch 4-5 models

4 Aug, 2008, 2105 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: Aiming for a double digit market share in the mobile segment during the current fiscal from its existing share of eight per cent, consumer electronics major Samsung India on Monday said it plans to launch 4-5 new models in the next three months.

The company today introduced an 'ultra-slim' all touch-screen mobile phone - Samsung TouchWIZ - priced at Rs 20,990.

"We aim to take our market share to a double digit figure this financial year. To achieve this target, the company is planning to launch 4-5 new mobile phones in India within the next three months," Samsung India Electronics Country Head (Mobile Business) Sunil Dutt told the media.

In the country's estimated 80 lakh handset market of each month, Samsung's growth rate has also doubled over the last few years, he added. "Keeping in mind the vast section of mobile users, the new phones will be for all kinds of people, like mid-income groups as well as high-end societies," Dutt said.

Elaborating on its latest launch 'Samsung TouchWIZ', he said the model has been launched coinciding with the Beijing Olympic Games and the entire communication campaign for the phone would be centered around the Olympics. The phone would have features like drag 'n' drop and auto smile shot to make it user friendly, he said. In terms of storage capacity, the phone is equipped with 240MB of internal memory, which can be expanded up to 8GB.

Samsung TouchWiz Launched in India

Samsung Telecommunications India (STI), has announced the launch of its full touch screen, ultra-slim lifestyle segment mobile phone – the Samsung TouchWiz (F480)- in the Indian market.

img_79891_samsung-f480.jpg

The TouchWiz is being launched to coincide with the Olympic Games 2008.

Announcing the launch of this new phone, Sunil Dutt, Country Head, Samsung Telecommunications India, said, "Given the growing consumer interest in touch screen phones , the Samsung TouchWiz offers a brilliant full touch navigation experience; widgets with 'Drag and Drop' technology and User Interface with Haptic Feedback which makes the experience of using the phone highly interactive and easy."

The TouchWiz has 'drag and drop' technology, which allows widgets to be selected from the left panel of the screen and dropped anywhere on the home screen. Since the Widgets comprise widely used applications like clock, calendar, alarms, music player, FM, games and profiles, this equips the user to set hotkeys on the touch menu for all these functions as they please. Haptic feedback offers a tangible feedback when a user makes a selection on the touch screen.

The phone encased in a metal body with a leather cover, features a 2.8-inch TFT LCD display and has a 5.0 Megapixel camera with face detection, image stabilizer, auto focus, CMOS video lens and Wide Dynamic Range (WDR). It also includes the 'Auto Smile Shot' feature - making its worldwide debut - that enables the camera to detect when a person is smiling and automatically take a picture when in the 'Smile shot' mode.

The Samsung TouchWiz is equipped with 240MB of internal memory, which can be expanded up to 8GB via the microSD memory card slot. It is compatible with GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSDPA (7.2mbps) networks and functions on GSM 900/1800/1900, and WCDMA 2100 bands.

The Samsung TouchWiz costs Rs. 20,990.

Courtesy : Tech2

in the UK the same phone is called the samsung tocco.

if any one plans to buy, make sure you check the reviews first