Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gotlo

Antivirus - Need To Buy One

Hey geeks,

I need to purchase a complete genuine antivirus software with minimum 14 months of free updates etc for a single user.

Which one should I go for ?

Till date I'd been using AVG, then tried out trial mcafee and now am on trial symanntec. Of all these I found McAfee the better one. But now since I gotta spend some money - I need expert advice - please help me.

Something not too costly - around a thousand bucks - that's my budget.

I need get this by the 17th of this month.

Waiting for response... pleeese help me

^^^

My dear friend, Norton or McAfee could be the best choice if your want to go for the purchased version.

And if you want a free Antivirus then Avast could be better.

Regards.

Yeah I checked out McAfee site - 1200 - well within my budget.

How about Zone Alarm - had used it - was good - my laptop has just 512mb ram and runs celeron 1.5g - so will this be lighter than McAfee on my system.

And all prices of ZA are in dollars - if I purchase online will i be taxed extra.

Which one is better - ZA or McAfee. I've decided not to go with Norton - its too heavy for my laptop.

Go for AVG free Editions, why at all u want to buy AV when it is available for free??

I have been using Avast Home Edition for last couple of years at my home desktop, laptop and 5-6 office computers and have not come across any problem so far. It gets updated automatically, and gives you proper warning in case of any virus by a website/removable media.

If you don't hit enter without reading properly, chances are very thin for a virus attack.

Sometimes, people who know less about it, they just hit "Enter" or click on "OK" on any windows that pops up (sometimes it is warning / some virus threat), and the computers get infected, even if the anti-virus is installed.

Sometimes, A virus script is written with that "OK" or even "Cancel" install malicious script of your computer. In case of any doubt, neither click on "OK" nor or "Cancel", just click on "X" button on upper right corner.

Hope, these suggestions help. :)

Regards

MG

Dude, dont even tough garbage like Norton / McAffee! I cant belive people can actually want to pay for such stuff!!!

If you want a paid AV think of - Kaspersky / Eset NOD32 / Avira / BitDefender / PC-cillin

If you want the very best detection, the 1st 2 are best. NOD32 is lighter amongst the two.

If you want the lowest performance hit, go for Dr. Web or F-prot.

Dont know the prices... thats something you'd need to find out, to get the best value for money, and for your kind of need.

Yes. best ones are nod 32, kaspersky and bitdefender

prices are as below

bit defender av oem ediotn - 500

bit defener internet security 2008 with 3 users license - 1000

eset nod32 antivirus - 2000

kaspersky internet security 2008 with 3 users license - 1000

good luck..

cheers

Already you have received some recommendations, in addition you may consider Avira which costs around $30 or Euro 20 for one year. I am using their free version. The detection rate is superb but does not support scanning incoming and outgoing POP mails (I think POP mostly not used by home users, GMail, AOL gives access IMAP. Only yahoo.co.in is POP one and might be your ISP's account). Paid version fills up the shortfall of the free version. But to my consideration Bitdefender should not be ignored because it is the cheapest and also nice (the scanning is a bit slow).

Edited by chiradip

Gosh... NOD32 seems real pricy!

As for POP3 mail scanning, you can do without it... just remember to scan any attachments before opening. Very likely your AV will do it automatically, in fact. Even then there will be some risk... which can be addressed by using clients like say Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express, Outlook, etc.

Also, if you use Gmail with POP3, I believe your mail would get scanned by Gmail before even landing in your Inbox.

As for the post above, you really cant compare AVG with the commercial mentioned above! AVG is ok if you want a decent free AV... but it is NOT comparable with the best commercial stuff!

Edited by raccoon

Right guys - kaspersky seems to be better one.

But I checked out their site - prices are in dollars - no indian pricing - will extra taxes be applicable?

Same is applicable to nod32 - both seem to have same pricing for their products - but nod has physical stores in India.

And including VAT anti vir is coming around Rs.2.3K($ x 39)!!

And one more thing - which one should I go for - antivirus or internet security - see I'll be in a 24hrs hi speed wifi area - internet and intranet access, i wont do any commercial transactions, usage will be restricted to downloads, a/v streaming and surfing.

I dont mind if 3rd party malwares in my laptop eat away my bandwith or result in extra data transfer as wifi access is free as long as they dont effect my documents and files.

But all data in my laptop is very important - and I cant afford more than 4 hours of system down time at any point.

How is Zone Alarm - got some recommendation - its around $10 cheaper than kasper & nod32.

PS - I always hd the idea that norton and mcafee are the best and costliest - but now things seem all ulta

But I checked out their site - prices are in dollars - no indian pricing - will extra taxes be applicable?

No, if you have an internationally valid credit card, you should be able to buy it without any extra charges. The conversion rate will be higher than the normal US$ v Re. rate though which will be calculated by your bank.

ZoneAlarm Free edition should run fine if you need a firewall in addition to the antivirus software

I just installed KasperSky 2009 (new edition).. Its impressive, bit over sensitive to vulnerabilities.. And yeah, its very heavy aka makes ur system bit slower.. I suggest to go for this, if u have good processing speed and 1 GB+ RAM..

Free windows firewall and free AV like AVIRA and Kaparasky is good. AVG 7 engine has some problem, if they have come out with AVG free with engine version 8, then it is good too. This is based on my experience.

Guyzzz

Pls suggest a good Free AV software

i am a huge downloader from internet ....

^^^

My dear friend, just go for AVAST. You will get antispyware and antimalware too in the free package.

Regards.

Dudes, its not quite right to evaluate an AV just because of its detection rate. Ok.. even as far as detection goes... Kaspersky is supposed to be the best when it comes to signature based detection. But NOD32 scores in Heuristics!

I'd say its VERY important that the AV does not slow down your comp or eat up your RAM. Your comp is supposed to be around to do your work... and fast... its not there just for your AV to run! Give your $ to developers who understand this and make products that hardly notice (like the ones Iv already mentioned).

Norton and McAffee, etc, in the commercial catageory and Avast in the free catageory are the worst offenders...

As for those looking for other free AVs, have a look at ClamWin. Its open source too. But when I last checked, they did not have a memory resident module. So u'll have to manually check files...

Edited by raccoon

hey guys ..

how is quick heal ?

I saw on microsoft page that if you have genuine windows you can get quick heal for just 199 !!

Quick Heal I believe is an Indian product. Prolly the only Indian AV.

Its supposed to be average at detection. I wouldnt consider it if top notch security is desired.

My dear friends, whenever their is a discussion of Antivirus, it takes me to my older days of 1994, when I used to go with a small Antivirus called SMARTDOG. Don't know whether it is still available or not. Does anyone using this right now ?

Actually SMARTDOG Antivirus was the best available at that time.

Regards.

Free AVG with Zonealarm, u can be in peace. and its for free as well.

Anyone want ZA solved, let me know.

@sadik

Pls send it to me

@sadikbhai,

me2

Thanks

Edited by KumaarShah

Zone Alarm is another great example of bloatware... :huh: