Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kshah

Bsnl Evdo Data Card Review In Ahmedabad

I got my BSNL EVDO data card on Saturday, i.e. 19/8/2008 and it was activated on tuesday, i.e. 21/8/2008

I am given ZTE AC8700 USB modem, which almost looks like TATA indicom modem. It was very easy to install and first time chinese device driver was installed flawlessly, for me.

I used yesterday for about 4-5 hours and it gave me consistent upload / download speed on 600-700 kbps and peak speed was 1100 kbps.

It is almost half the BSNL broad band I am using. But then in EVDO I get mobility (ENtire city, yet to try in other areas) and Its unlimited for Rs. 500

I tried to clone its DATA to make INDIA's FIRST PPC with EVDO access but I could not succeed. :NOTriste:

Because BSNL has disabled VOICE CODEC on EVDO data card and it can not log on to 1X network. Even PRL is IS-683C (Reliance and 1X netowrk uses IS-683A) and PRL aquisition type is HDR only. No 1X. So I think I will have to try harder to clone it on PPC. Before that I need to understand authentication methos for different PRL standards. Lets see.

Did u play any online games????

like Counter strike????

And How is the download speed

Near to 60 kBps?????

Keep it up Kalpak...

and one more thing

IS bsnl offering Voice calls or SMS like Reliance

U have mentioned about Voice codec but wht abt voice calls

If they offer these services then how is the Tariff????

Wow... excellent!!! So sometime down the line, we may have Nam1 as Reliance and Nam2 as BSNL EVDO ^_^

^^^

I do not think it may be possible. Both these companies may not allow this, maybe even regulatory issues are there.

BSNL guys right now are not aware about how to activate foreign ESN. May be some time later they will start accepting means then we can have 2 NAM on one PPC.

Did u play any online games????

like Counter strike????

And How is the download speed

Near to 60 kBps?????

I do not play games. But it plays Youtube video easily. When I used it for surfing, you tube, it was showing constantly 600 kbps and at times 900-1000 kbps.

and one more thing

IS bsnl offering Voice calls or SMS like Reliance

U have mentioned about Voice codec but wht abt voice calls

If they offer these services then how is the Tariff????

BSNL is not offering voice or SMS on EVDO cards. They are offering it on 1X network. No idea about tariff

I do not think it may be possible. Both these companies may not allow this, maybe even regulatory issues are there.

If they accept outside ESN there can not be any legal issue. Nor any network issue as only one NAM can be activated at a time.

Today, speed is much lower than yesterday. When I called up guy in BSNL he said, since its lauched only since 15th, will take few days to stabilize.

Hi,

I successfully used this modem (AC8700) on reliance in Delhi for NetConnect. All of u know more than me that reliance is on 1x. :)

Regards

MG

Because BSNL has disabled VOICE CODEC on EVDO data card and it can not log on to 1X network. Even PRL is IS-683C (Reliance and 1X netowrk uses IS-683A) and PRL aquisition type is HDR only. No 1X. So I think I will have to try harder to clone it on PPC. Before that I need to understand authentication methos for different PRL standards. Lets see.

Unlimited 1.1MBps at 500/- is a fantastic, superlative, unheard of plan. Still lacking hugely from US where 2MBps is standard for EVDO.

@kshah:::::Thanks for clarifying my doubts

I hope they do launch it soon At my place

Do we require Wireless Land line of Bsnl for his connection?????

Hi,

I successfully used this modem (AC8700) on reliance in Delhi for NetConnect. All of u know more than me that reliance is on 1x. :)

Regards

MG

Yes, I realized later that I am wrong. I will try again may be tomorrow for cloning PPC on EVDO.

Reliance is 1X and by enabling RUIM, same modem can log on to 1X. Then it uses RUIM settings.

BSNL too offers EVDO-RevA, means 2.5 mbps (Burst) But it is said that even in US you consistent speed on 700-900 kbps (Our rimweb memebr vishalsheth has eperience on EVDO)

In Ahmedabad, yesterday, I gt Max 1.1 mbps and today its max 500 kbps. Today connection quality is bellow acceptable level.

EVDO is saperate connection. You do not require wireless line from BSNL.

Edited by kshah

Unlimited 1.1MBps at 500/- is a fantastic, superlative, unheard of plan. Still lacking hugely from US where 2MBps is standard for EVDO.

US has 500-700kbps when I checked. 2mbps is the standard but it's not there when checked. Like when we check the broadband speed you get from 700kbps to 1.5mbps. I'm talking about actual download speed.

Thats great my dear Kalpak. Speed of this EVDO Data Card seems to be great. Hope in the near future the problem of speed too will be rectified by BSNL. The tariff of Rs.500/- for unlimited usage with mobility to use ont the way is really awsome.

Cheers !

Can I have a link regarding its tariff and initial costs?

Try searching BSNL.co.in

Modem is made cheaper. I paid Rs. 4300 for modem, activation and deposit. Monthly rental Rs. 500 for unlimited.

The bsnl evdo plans are much cheaper then the regular broadband ..they give U/L at 550 with 2mbps speed..

while on wired broadband the U/L is at 750 that too with only 250kbps ...

why evdo plans are more cheaper then regular ones ?..

also bsnl's 1x wireless(datacard) U/L plans are too cheaper as compared to reliance or tata..bsnl gives U/L only at 250/month.. while reliance gives at 1500/month...

how come bsnls are coming up with so cheaper rates..?

does anyone know when are reliance/tata expected to offer evdo services .?

Edited by sutarianiral

I will be in Ahmedabad for 4-5 months from November 10, 2008 onwards. I am looking for new Internet connection in Abad so that I can work on my US based assignments.

My requirements are as follows:

• High Speed Broadband
  • Reliable (My working hours will be from 6 PM to 3 AM)
  • Should be able to support:

• One VOIP Line

• VPN connection to my employer's network in US at decent speed

• MS Live Meeting/NetMeeting over VPN

• Regular usage of Outlook email application over VPN

• Download/upload of files worth several MBs (Will not have any P2P traffic)

• Should be available in Memnagar area of Abad

I have looked at several alternatives online and considering the following options:

BSNL

Plan: Home 3300/2mbps/20GB limit

Cost: Rs 3300/month

Airtel

Plan: 1mbps unlimited

Cost: Rs 2222/month

Can you please advise me on what would work better? The cost is not an issue. Are there any other viable options?

In addition, I am also planning to get BSNL EVDO card as a back up, in case the landline based broadband falters.

Edited by gcjones

^^^

BSNL Broadband could be the best option for you my dear Hitesh.

Regards.

BSNL EVDO cant be used for Hitesh's purposes though it is available in Memnagar area. EVDO works on shared IP and will not work for VPN access.

Otherwise, EVDO is the cheapest service available in India in Unlimited category. I am using it in Pune. It gives descent speed in surfing. For downloads, I exprerienced 400-500 kbps speed and once it was at 1100 kbps. but now-a-days I am getting 200-300 kbps. With all big advantages, there are couple of disadvantages :

1. It cannot be used for VPN access

2. SInce it uses shared IP, if you try to download something from megaupload etc., it will always show that your IP is already downloading.