Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
MOBILE FAN

Give Comparision Between Rconnect And Gprs Speed

Actually I am searching for a low budget dual sim handset. Because its required for me to have a GSM connection due to some project compulsion. I am using Reliance since its inception and dont want to change from CDMA to GSM. RConnect is the only way I surf net at home.

Only Spice has the Rconnect facility in its low budget dual sim handset. But the reviews are really bad for the handset. While searching for many other mobiles including Fly and other chineese mobiles, I came to know that they dont support RConnect. But chinese handset supports GPRS. So, now if I have to go for a dual SIM handset, the only option available to me is to surf the net using GPRS.

Now the main question is : Is the GPRS speed comparable to RConnect ? My kyocera 7135 connects at 460 kbps and download speed varies between 7 to 14 kbps. If the GPRS speed is comparable to Rconnect, I would surf with GSM. Otherwise the only option remains is to buy a different GSM only handset. If GPRS is the way, which service provider has better speed in Pune ?

^^^

@Setu

My dear friend, although you could not get the speed in GSM GPRS as fast as in CDMA Netconnect. But it will be enough for you to do your routine work.

Vodafone GPRS could be a better choice for you. And about chinese phones, I have a doubt that you can connect it with your PC and use Gprs. As I myself also is using a Chinese handset and Gprs can be used only in the handset itself. No connectivity with PC for Gprs.

Regards.

My experience in Chennai says nothing to beat CDMA's speeds. It may differ elsewhere. You would be better off with two different handsets rather than one dual mode one. Continue with your Kyo and in GSM go for a low end model since you may only use it sparingly for your project compulsions.

in gsm if you get edge speed will be no more than 50-60 kbps. Cdma will give you 70-100 kbps. Once you have used cdma you will surely regret using gsm data, on computer.

Pl. Don't keep high expectations from gsm data.

Dear Kamal,

There are many chinese handsets on ebay (like CECT, Changjiang) they provide GPRS, atleast that is what is given in the specification on ebay.

Dear Kshah,

Thanks for the comparision on kbps. I think I will go with what is suggested by Kumaar Shah and buy a basic GSM handset.

Instead of a very basic GSM handset, why not at least buy one which has EDGE (make sure the operator you opt for supports it!) and try it out? I'm sure prices of EDGE handsets will have come down quite a bit lately. EDGE speeds will vary in different parts... and if you are lucky the speed in your area might be good. Even if it is a bit less than CDMA, if you use the net only for browsing, email, etc... you wont notice much difference... and in the process have all the advantages that GSM has to offer... and also maybe save yourself the hassle of carrying 2 phones!

Edited by raccoon

^^^

Firstly, Setu wants to continue his marriage with RCOM. He is not yet willing for a divorce. Read the 1st post.

Secondly, EDGE is not available everywhere and as already said by kalpak elsewhere on this forum, the speeds are not even across circles. One circle may have EDGE, yet the adjacent circle of the same operator may not have EDGE at all. And yes, no one can deny that the data speeds of CDMA are definitely far better than GSM - whether on the mobile or on the computer. And yes the data speeds are the same all over India. Mind you, I am not pro-RCOM, I am just pointing out the facts.

Finally, now that 3G is well under way, it would be better to buy a 3G handset. Of course it is too early, that's why I did not suggest it in the 1st place. But maybe the public sector cos will come out sooner. But that again will prove doubtful as the private telcos will have greased the babus well enough to delay it. Already although they have the spectrum and can go ahead full speed, they are talking of a June 2009 time frame. It is very apparent why there will be so much delay.

Yes, I know he wants to continue with RCom right now... but nobody can tell about the future! Thats why what I suggests leaves the possibility for divorce to happen... hehe! Best to try out all options and settle for the best.

I have a few friends here in Poona/Maharashtra, who are quite happy with Airtel for data. I dont know how it compares with RCom/Tata though. AFAIK, Airtel does have EDGE in Poona. Dont know about others. However, dont go for Airtel if voice calls are important for you!!!

And CDMA speeds will vary in different cell sites. Its just possible that in some cells you may get better speeds with EDGE than with CDMA...

^^^

Somehow, I still doubt about the speeds issue. Though it may be possible for a EDGE network to give a bit better speed than CDMA, but then across the country, almost the same speeds everywhere is what is the issue here. Not in small pockets here and there.

^^^

My dear friends, actually GPRS too is not that bad. I used it for nearly 3 months with Vodafone even without Edge. Its good enough. In my case I got the best speeds from Vodafone Gprs.

Dear Kamal,

There are many chinese handsets on ebay (like CECT, Changjiang) they provide GPRS, atleast that is what is given in the specification on ebay.

^^^

@Setu

My dear friend, I agree that you can use GPRS with above mentioned handsets but the same can be used only in the handset. You can't connect your handset with a PC and use GPRS on it. Like you connects your Reliance mobile with a PC and use Netconnect on PC.

Regards.