Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
suniil

What Usb Modem

Hello members,

I'm a frequent traveller to India and wish to stay connected to internet all the time. Duration of the trip would be 15 days in every 3 months or so.

Wish to get a USB modem from Reliance with pay-as-you-go bundle. Do I get a choice of picking up the modem, If yes what model is good? Or is it better to get it from abroad and just get pay-as-you go DATA bundle from Reliance?

Any help much appreciated

:signthankspin:

Pay-as-you-go type plan (time based plan) would cost you a lot as Reliance's internet charges are very high. Since you want to stay online all the time, go for a data plan only... either Freedom Plan (Rs.650 + tax per month) if you data usage is low or Platinum plan (Rs.1500 + tax per month) for unlimited usage. Reliance offers USB modems which you can choose, which will cost you around Rs.2500 - Rs.3000. You cannot get one from abroad and use it here since Reliance's service will get activated on devices purchased through them only.

If you are going to use it at home (and not when travelling), I would suggest you to go for a broadband connection.

Arun, thanks for the detailed info. I'd prefer to stay on-line all the time, but not much data usage other than using IMs / forums / Emails. I just need the DATA and not voice (I've a lifetime Airtel PAYG sim for voice calls)

Pay-as-you-go type plan (time based plan) would cost you a lot as Reliance's internet charges are very high. Since you want to stay online all the time, go for a data plan only... either Freedom Plan (Rs.650 + tax per month) if you data usage is low or Platinum plan (Rs.1500 + tax per month) for unlimited usage. Reliance offers USB modems which you can choose, which will cost you around Rs.2500 - Rs.3000.

Great, then go for the Freedom plan (1 GB per month for Rs.650 + tax) as you need it for around 15 days only in a month. Make sure that you do not exceed the limit though as extra 1 MB is charged at Rs.2

A new data card comes with 2 month unlimited subscription free (Platinum Plan Rs.1500x2=3000)

His usage is for 15 days every 3 MONTHS not every month..

Its advisable to go for Freedom 650 plan when in India & convert is back to 'Pay as you go - 175 rental' when u leave india.

The advance rental payment part needs to be looked into while doing this - Arun plz advise.

Else best could be a Prepaid if a plan like Freedom 650 would be available.. no idea of Prepaid.

^^ But prepaid have just one plan - 60p/min No Unlimited plan!!

A new data card comes with 2 month unlimited subscription free (Platinum Plan Rs.1500x2=3000)

They say 'Unlimited' but its actually Freedom 650 - unlimited hours plan what they give.

Atleast here in Bangalore, this is the gimmick story.

They also say that someone will definately call for change of plan once the 2 months get over, but no sign of calling & it continues in the same old plan with same charges, till you get your 3rd bill & freak out.

Best solution is to get a EDGE phone and use his airtel phone for gprs browsing. Much better than relaince . I use an airtel gprs with motorola L7i and a standard mini usb cable. 600 bucks a month or 20 rupees a day. activate if you need it. CHEAP-BEST-HASSLE FREE

Best solution is to get a EDGE phone and use his airtel phone for gprs browsing. Much better than relaince . I use an airtel gprs with motorola L7i and a standard mini usb cable. 600 bucks a month or 20 rupees a day. activate if you need it. CHEAP-BEST-HASSLE FREE

@Sunil..

Since you already have an Airtel LT prepaid connection, you can add the GPRS plan @ 600/month or 20/day scheme as explained by Ganesh.

Only thing is that u cannot talk & browse the same time.

If that's not an issue, its the best piece of advise for you right here from Ganesh.

15 days every 3 months??

Get Prepaid number and RUIM based Data card.

Pay as you go.

Do not get committed to post pay.

BTW u cant be always online on reliance, connections drops like anything.

So u have to keep reconnecting.

@sadikk

Is this true even for Data cards?

I thought this dropping issue was for limited to Landlines & Net-connect via phone.

However, i've not really experienced this with Data card.

Its only goes into dormancy when not in use.. but not dis-connected.

^ But prepaid have just one plan - 60p/min No Unlimited plan!!
Rs999 for Unlimited