Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honest

Government Norms Likely To Compulsorily Secure Wifi Links !

Government norms likely to compulsorily secure WiFi links

15 Sep, 2008, 0319 hrs IST, ET

NEW DELHI: In the wake of the terror emails being sent from unsecured wireless fidelity (WiFi) networks, the government is examining the possibility of issuing new norms that will make it illegal to leave such internet connections open. The new norms may also put the onus on telcos and internet service providers (ISPs) who sell WiFi connections to educate their customers of keeping them secure.

The department of telecom will work with the home ministry and intelligence agencies to put in place steps to secure WiFi internet connections, which are increasingly being used in homes and offices across the country. WiFi networking companies may also be asked to limit WiFi signal right down to a defined radius by installing access points around the signal.

However, internet service providers (ISPs) say that it is customer who is to blame. “Internet service providers are taking steps on their own to secure WiFi connections. All ISPs are installing AAA servers and firewalls. But, if you look at the terror mails, they were sent from hacked or open WiFi accounts – there is nothing we can do about this.

When people take a broadband connection, then take routers and make their homes and offices WiFi enabled, and then leave it open, there is nothing ISPs can do about it,” explained the president of the Internet Service Providers Association of India’s president Rajesh Chharia.

Industry experts say that regulations will not help much since most home and corporate users use minimal security to lock their WiFi networks making them an easy target to hack into.

Security experts suggest that WiFi users should never broadcast their SSIDs (service set identifiers) and change their access passwords. “Most routers which come in the market have a password 1234 and login id – as admin. One should immediately change it after installing. Also one should block the router’s SSIDs from broadcasting the WiFI networks and allow only particular machines to access it,” says Aujas Network Founder and COO Sameer Shelke.

Generally a WiFi router is configured to advertise its SSID to all neighbouring WiFi devices. One can block the SSID from advertising so that only by typing the name, the particular WiFi network appears.

The Wireless Fidelity (WiFi) connection of a Mumbai based power company was hacked into by suspects in Chembur, who sent the e-mail to news organisations while the serial blast continued in the capital which killed about 25 people and left about 100 injured on Saturday.

Experts say that digital forensics still holds the key to catch suspects who have even challenged security agencies to catch them.

Accessing the WiFi router or the wireless access point’s log files (present in Mumbai’s Kamran Power Company in this case), one can find out the MAC (Media Access Control) address of the WiFi card which accessed the WiFi point of that company.

Each WiFI adaptor card manufactured in the world has a unique MAC address. Identifying that MAC address would mean identifying the manufacturer of that particular network card. The manufacturers are generally based in Malaysia, Taiwan and China, global hubs of electronic manufacturing.

A high level protocol with Chinese or Taiwanese government can help the investigating agencies get hold of which factory that particular card was shipped to and when. It can also identify the bar code number of that card. Each PC or laptop maker like Dell, HP, Lenovo or Acer tags the barcode numbers of the card before assembling them into the machines.

This information can be used to find out which dealer sold that particular laptop in which part of the world and to which buyer, which in this case can be the suspect. Identifying the digital footprint can thus help trace the culprits.

US-based Meru Networks’ India head Giridhar Java says: “We can also configure a network to operate only in a particular radius. All signals going outside a particular periphery can be blocked. Another way is to throw junk to an outside receiver trying to connect. We can easily jam his or her WiFi card but that’s not legally allowed in most parts of the world.”

The easiest way to secure is to provide a password for accessing WiFi but y experts say that too is penetrable. “Basically WiFi operates in the 2.5 GHz frequency and one can still access your WiFi network by special frequency scanners but that is tougher.

I just secured my WiFi with 3 steps... assigned a new admin password, created a WPA encryption key and restricted access to my PC and laptop's MAC ID :D

^^^

I am using BSNL's Type2 modem with wireless. Can you please provide the steps to restrict the access for only my devices? I use my desktop for wired and N81 & PSP for wireless access.

Routers password is not that Important as unless and untill he dont pass WiFI WPA / WEP Security he can not access Modem Web console.

MAC Address Banning . Allowing is Definately more Secure thing if we dont have Guest Laptop or PC

WAP key is not sufficient? to secure WIFI?

I am also keen to know if any one can crack WAP key? by some scanner or craking software.

@kumarshah

1. type 192.168.1.1 in your browser address

2. Use UN & PW as admin

3. go to WLAN configuration

4. Enable WEP and assign WAP key there. You can may get option of 64 bit / 128 bit ASCII and HEX

5. Save and reboot your modem

Now connect your computer and enter WAP key as mentioned in computer.

Also I keep my SSID hidden and change SSID from default value.

This is basic procedure. Options may vary for modem to modem and OS to OS as well as adaptor to adaptor.

Edited by kshah

I am unable to change my BSNL WEP Key for somereason. Looks like it is hardwire yet the passkey looks silly which I wanted to change but will not work if I change.

I am not sure what sort of Private Key is this, if I cant change it!

WiFi system safer option for terrorists

15 Sep, 2008, 1225 hrs IST, ET

MUMBAI: It didn't need great hacking ability or computer skills to have used the WiFi network of Kamran Power Control at Eric Building in Chembur to send the terror mail on Saturday soon after the Delhi blasts.

Mumbai's anti-terrorism squad (ATS) has found the WiFi system was not secured, implying no password was needed to get into the WiFi system, only an easily available software that allows access.

ATS chief Hemant Karkare said, "Computer experts and ATS officers are making enquiries. We are yet to arrive at any conclusion." On Sunday, ATS officers questioned Manohar Kamath, proprietor of the firm and his son Nikhil hoping to crack the origin of the mail. The email, claiming responsibility for the Delhi blasts, originated from al-arbi-delhi@yahoo.com.

Meanwhile, the Kamaths said they would continue to use the Wifi. Kamal Kamath, a software consultant and wife of Manohar Kamath told TOI, "Wifi is a very good technology. We were caught unawares since there were no safeguards. We will continue using it with security measures."

In the case of the Ahmedabad blasts, a WiFi system of an American resident of Mumbai Ken Haywood was used. That too was not secured. Computer experts say that few users bother to password-protect their WiFi accounts, leaving it open for anyone in the radius of about 100-200 metres to get in easily. For terrorists, this is far safer than trying to go to a cyber cafe, where they would be asked for identification.

The 600 sq ft office has only four staff. Kamath told the police that he does not suspect his staff. '' One of the four computers may have been hacked through WiFi,'' he said. She said that her husband and others were in the office at 7 pm on Saturday when the mail was sent through their Wifi system.

"We came to know about it through news channels," she said. Since then, the Kamaths have been deluged with calls from friends and relatives. '' The police have been fair with us and we have cooperated with them. They also know that we are not at fault,'' Kamal said.

Such a fuss over emails... what if the terrorists just use good old snail mail? How are they gonna trace those??

i too agree that it's not easy to stop them. because they can get the Prepaid No which is easily available to anyone. you don't have to submit the documents. without Documents your No works for 3-7 days and that much time is more then enough to do any terrorist activity. also GPRS activation takes place maxmum 1 hour.

The only way through which we can control it to a extent is by making the strict rules for the new Mobile Nos. heavy penality on the operators even if they compromise on it for 1 no.

Strict standards for using the WIFI in order to install it in the premisis.

I have seen that many corporates houses don't use basic security for WIFI. if you just want to see it just visit NehruPlace and you will get access to many of the wifi links and free internet. I have seen so many locations in india where you can access the internet for just by using the WIFI connectivity.

People quitely take advantage of such incidents & put in thier PAID news articles in media. There are special PR agencies to do all this stuff.

They write Wi-Fi HACKED & Secutity COMPROMISED & what not. 80% is masala , 15% is PR .. & remaining is half baked truth.

The main benefeciaries from this will be IT secrutiy companies.... big corporations will get big bill in the name of WiFi SECURITY .

There will be a Flow of So called Wi-Fi Experts & Security consultants. Some people are gonna make nice money out of this all.

^^^

Very, very rightly said! Stopping emails ain't gonna stop terrorism!! I'm not saying do nothing, or offering solutions... but all this is more hype than real...

Edited by raccoon

@kalpak,

Thanks for your help. I have successfully restricted access on my wireless modem.

:signthankspin:

WPA / WPA 2 Option is more Safe then WEP

I use 10 Charachter Long Password

^^^

Very, very rightly said! Stopping emails ain't gonna stop terrorism!! I'm not saying do nothing, or offering solutions... but all this is more hype than real...

Well, you also have to consider self-protecting yourself as well. If a terrorist (or anyone) uses your WiFi connection to send a threat email tomorrow, then as per Information Technology Act of India (which haven't been amended for years) it is considered that you have sent the email.

I personally think they use infected IPs, instead of intruding Someones Wi-Fi.

Have heard some years back that infected IPs can be used to mail without disclosing ur own location.

Any hack expert can explain this??

Trai plans to prevent WiFi abuse

17 Sep, 2008, 0015 hrs IST, ET

NEW DELHI: With terrorists using unsecured wireless fidelity (WiFi) networks to shoot off emails every time they carry out bomb blasts, Trai is examining a series of measures to have security processes in place to protect such networks.

According to sources, Trai began studying open WiFi networks after the Ahmedabad blasts and will soon issue recommendations for proper authentication and maintenance of such networks.

Importantly, following the 21 blasts in Ahmedabad on July 26 which killed 55 and injured 100, Trai had asked the government to direct all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to instruct their customers to have ‘proper authentication measures’ so that this facility is not misused. “All ISPs may be instructed to ensure that their subscribers using wireless devices must use effective authentication mechanisms and permit access to internet to only authorised persons using wireless devices,” the regulator said in its earlier communication to the DoT. The DoT appears not to have acted on the regulator’s suggestion. The Internet Service Providers of India, the industry body representing all ISPs, said that so far the government had not issued any directives to act towards securing open WiFi networks.

ET reported earlier this week that the government is examining the possibility of issuing new norms which will unsecured WiFi connections illegal. Sources also said the new norms may put the onus of educating consumers on telcos and ISPs. Besides, the ISPs will also be asked to ensure that customers access the internet over a WiFi connection only through a password. WiFi networking companies may also be asked to limit WiFi signal right down to a defined radius by installing access points around the signal. The department of telecom and the department of information technology will work with the home ministry and intelligence agencies on this issue. Sources said the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERTC-in) is also helping the government issue new norms on WiFi security. It is not clear if these agencies will await the recommendations of Trai.

Security agencies have asked the government to ask all ISPs to make password protection mandatory for every customer using a WiFi network. This has also been endorsed by the home ministry.

ISPs say that it is the customer who is to be blamed. “Internet service providers are taking steps on their own to secure WiFi connections. All ISPs are installing AAA servers and firewalls. But, if you look at the terror mails, they were sent from hacked or open WiFi accounts – there is nothing we can do about this. When people take a broadband connection and routers to make their homes and offices WiFi enabled and then leave it open when they are not in use, there is nothing ISPs can do about it,” Internet Service Providers Association of India president Rajesh Chharia had told ET.

If WiFi networks used to trigger bombs, I can understand the safety concerns.

The risk here is sending emails which contains encrypted data (not visible for normal recipients but can be seen by the actual terrorists with the help of decryption).

Some of the forwarded emails that are sent carries some invisible information which will help terrorists to act upon it when they receive it. And for normal law enforcement mechanisms, it will be difficult to trace the owner of the forwarded emails (with chains going to many recipients).

During parliamentary attacks, security agency recovered laptops which carried an email with Ayshwarya Roy picture, upon investigating with the help of forens, the JPEG had specific instructions to strike parliament in a given date.

the security was long overdue. in fact these measures or such have to be envisioned even before the service is rollled out.

Alas., it never happens in india.

MY dear friends, our government wakeup only after the worst is happened.

Regards.

DoT, DIT chalking out norms for strict Wi-Fi security

21 Sep, 2008, 1250 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: With terrorists using the open Wi-Fi networks for communicating, Department of Telecom and Department of Information and Technology are jointly working out measures to check this growing misuse.

Investigations into the recent bomb blasts at Ahmedabad and Delhi have shown that there has been a widespread use of wireless (Wi-Fi) technology in carrying out the attacks.

DoT officials, however, admit that the march of technology cannot be halted but its misuse certainly has to be checked.

A DIT official said the department is in talks with the DoT on this and some actions in terms of issuing general guidelines, instructions and advisories could be expected soon.

Telecom regulator TRAI is also, currently, looking at the various measures taken globally to make such networks secure. It would suggest ways and means to make networks safer.

The discussion between TRAI and DoT also revolve around carrying campaign by Internet Service Providers to educate their customers on Wi-Fi security measures.

An official of the cyber security wing of DIT -- Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) said the ISPs should provide all these features of password and password protection.

The open network and open password make it quite easy for anyone to access another person's network. The most widely default password for Wi-Fi open network is 1234.

ISPs, however, denounce this point saying Wi-Fi routers are easily available in the market and it is the customer who should take care of password protection not the ISPs.

The unsecured networks should be made secure by customers themselves for their own security. All an ISP can do is educate the user to be more careful on passwords for Wi-Fi technology, ISPAI President Rajesh Chharia said.