Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tanveer

Buying New Laptop

I am planning to buy a new laptop. I would be grateful if someone could clarify a few of my doubts.

My preferable requirements are

Core 2 duo

15.4 inch screen

2-3 gb ram

Any size hard disk

Brand - preferably HP

OS - any/ none

Queries

How good is amd?

Is dual core recommended for a normal user?

Which core 2 duo is recommended?

Does anyone use 14.1 inch? I feel it will be very small.

How will 2 Gb ram perform with c2d and vista

Is lenovo a total no no?

How good is dell in comparison to HP?

Sony I think are a little overpriced.

Where can I get the cheapest laptop from US/ Dubai/ Singapore?

Are there any special offers/ schemes in india? I had heard there was some students discount on some brands.

Is finger impression thing any good?

I don't see much point in that.

How useful is light scribe feature? Does anyone use it frequently?

Would investing in blue ray be a good thing to do?

I will ask more questions as and when they come to mind

Itne saare questions :o

I am planning to buy a new laptop. I would be grateful if someone could clarify a few of my doubts.

My preferable requirements are

Core 2 duo

15.4 inch screen

2-3 gb ram

Any size hard disk

Brand - preferably HP - I am using ACER without any problems last 3 years - VALUE FOR UR BUCK

OS - any/ none

Queries

How good is amd? No probs - but Go For C2D

Which core 2 duo is recommended? Standard Now is 2 or 2.2 GHz - Acer with 2 GB is available for about 34K

Does anyone use 14.1 inch? I feel it will be very small. I am usin g it - Better than 15.4 - More Portable and Laptopy

How will 2 Gb ram perform with c2d and vista GREAT

Is lenovo a total no no?

Where can I get the cheapest laptop from US/ Dubai/ Singapore?No sense when prices have dropped significantly in India

Are there any special offers/ schemes in india? I had heard there was some students discount on some brands.

Is finger impression thing any good? USELESS unless u are a FBI agent or 007

How useful is light scribe feature? Does anyone use it frequently?Very little use / useless

Would investing in blue ray be a good thing to do?TOO COSTLY right now - maybe 1 year down the line

I will ask more questions as and when they come to mind

Also I would suggest - look at Acer Aspire One - now available for 20K (with Linux- u can load ur own XP - I will help u if u want) Except Optical Drive I think it is PERFECT. i AM ALSO USING 14.1" c2d 1.7GHz, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, Bluetooth, WiFi Model Acer Aspire 4710 - GREAT PIECE OF SH*T

I have recently bought Apple's Mac Book

CORE 3 DUO 2.4

2 GB RAM

13.3 SCREEN

250 GB HARD DISK WITH 100 GB FOR MAC OS AND 150 GB FOR WINDOWS, BOTH LOADED AND WORKING WELL

BATTERY BACKUP OF 4 HOURS IN MAC AND 2.5 HOURS IN WINDOWS

WITH INBUILT CAMERA, MIC, SPEAKERS, DIGITAL DVD WRITTER, BLUETOOTH, 2 USB PORTS, WIFI AND ALL OTHER NECESSARY AND USEFUL SOFTWARES

PRICE 70000

U may also consider Dell 1525, though slightly pricy (by about 4-5K) but build quality is better....

Edited by dkaile

You can see the MSI wind. In youtube comparison amoung Aspire one, Eeepc and Msi wind is there. After seeing that I prefer MSI wind.

Yes, there are many applications that utilize dual core. A quad core may be an overkill for a normal user for now.

Which core 2 duo is recommended?

I would recommend T8100 or above

Does anyone use 14.1 inch? I feel it will be very small.

Not really, even 13.3 feels fine.

How will 2 Gb ram perform with c2d and vista

I would recommend 3 GB RAM

Is lenovo a total no no?

I prefer Dell because of the good price ratio, good quality, configurable options online and Next Business Day warranty

Dell will give some discounts if you bargain well

Is finger impression thing any good?

Right, not much point in having that

Would investing in blue ray be a good thing to do?

Too costly for now.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 6400 now which has been working great without any issues for about 1.5 years now. You can check out Inspiron, Studio or XPS series here: http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/c...ab=2&~ck=mn

MSI, though good, does not have good service backup in India. Though it has a bigger screen and Bluetooth as additional features, but Aspire has a bigger HDD (120GB in comparison to 80GB) and both come with 3cell battery as default (though both can be upgraded to 6 cell units giving upto 6 hrs backup)

Because of Service Network and Full Value for your hard earned money, I am recommending ACER...

Edited by dkaile

Ill Tell you the that the best thing is go on DELLs website select a laptop and customize as you want

it may get a bit expensive but thats worth u can select if u want bluetooth ,wi-fi, also the processor u want ,,,

which vista version u want + office + bag + sound card + graphics card u name it n they let u customize it...

only problem is.... that in Maharashtra we have 2 pay a lot of VAT which is to be given to DELL n also octroi

but please check it out i some configurations n m wrkng to save some Tax on it....

Though it is a good laptop with fantastic 3GB of Ram and 250 GB HDD, it has a slightly dated 1.83 processor (by todays standard) and NO Bluetooth. For all Pocket PC users, I feel Bluetooth is a must for fast and wireless syncing and data transfer....

Better Products are available here, though the deal at 640$ (around 30K) is OK but hassles involved are too much and NO Warranty

Itne saare questions :o

^^^

Wow. Itne Saare Answers. Itni Saari Solutions. ;)

When someone is going to buy a product from his / her hard earned money, then obviously one has to clear all the doubts. So what, if someone having many doubts. After all we are here to help each other.

Read here, why some people put other people down...

Some people put others down because they believe it makes them look big or popular. (Self Importance)

Some people put others down because they enjoy making people hurt. (Sadism)

Some people put others down, totally unawares. This can sometimes happen with people who are sufferers of Asperger's Syndrome. (Mental Issues)

But as a response, you could smile and say that one day they could lose something as equally important to them. How will they cope? If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all.

Regards.

HP can guide u best. just PM him ur requirement.

I always prefer IBM over anything.

Check X60 or T series, they are the best.

And yes i am talking IBM not Lenovo.

thanks all for advice

got this config. from US

- HP Pavilion dv6700t Entertainment CTO NB

- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)

- Intel® Core2 Duo Processor T5850 (2.16GHz)

- 15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

- 50% OFF 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

- 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - For Core 2 Duo Processors

- FREE Upgrade to 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!!

- Webcam Only

- Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth

- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

- No TV Tuner w/remote control

- High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

- Microsoft® Works 9.0

- Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)

- HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

for 33100

Great combo - great price

Nice to see a 256MB Nvidia graphics card thrown in... but 160GB is too less by todays standards... but the 3GB ram rocks...

laptop is not going to be my primary computer. Its only for mobility. I have a desktop with 500Gb HDD.

Also the offer was something like this:- There was an instant discount of 130 $. PLus a 200$ discount if the total value of the laptop was equal or more than 999$. The config was customizable though within limits. Thats why i could omit things like light scribe and finger print thing and include a better processor (default was Dual core) and better battery. I included ear phones which were for 6 $ as the total was 997$.

So with a total of 1003 dollars I got a discount of 330 $ add the tax, it came out to be 730 $ which yesterday amounted to 33100. Were citibank not charging 3.5% on international transactions, i would have paid from my card.

PS - which is the wifi router most people would recommend?

I have heard netgear is good. which particular model is the most popular and trustworthy?

I use Netgear, No Problems at all, Works on my First Floor, as well as basement... Its their cheapest one, comes around 1700/- from Nehru Place. Best thing about Netgear is their Customer Care. They once helped me for 1 hour on the phone to properly configure my setup on their Toll Free No.

thanks dheeraj. will go for net gear only. have also heard names of linksys and dlink(not sure)

Are you looking for an ADSL Modem with WiFi Router Modem or a WiFi Router to connect with your existing modem?

I am Second to Arun

1. Get the Processor T8100 its made on 45nm Die Size with Metal Gate Technology and uses Very Very Less Power. Very Cool and in longer Run it good on Battery. Major Sony VAIO have These Processor
  2. 14.4 Inch Laptop is Very Conveninet as Both 14 and 15 inch have Same Pixel in Screen.
  3. I dont like Original HP Bag as its Made from 12 to 17" Laptop All in one Bag. Just Hunt around for More Precise Bag . Here Sony 13" Seires have Very Very Handy Bag available.
  4. I oppose the Dicision to Buy from USA. as Warrenty is Biggest Issue. I have 2 laptop from HP Dv2124 and dv6602 and Both had a Problem of Infinite Reboot Sequence and had to send to Service Station for 15 days.
  5. Weight more than 2.4 kg is Bad.
  6. Always look for 3.5 to 4 Hours of Battery Backup as after 2 years of uses backup falls just to 1.5 Hours and have to Replace the Battery in some conditions.
  7. If you can wait for more 3 to 4 Month then Centrino 2 with X4500 onboard Graphics is the Best thing gonna available.
  8. Never ever touch Pentium Dual Core T2xxx Series its Worst Processor in Term of Battery.
  9. AMD is Comming with USeries this is also the Best Processor with AMD 770 Chipsets but no Model is available right now.
  10. Just keep in mind that with 6 to 12 month SSD (Solid State Drives) will be available for Rs. 10000 with64 to 128 gb Capacity this will be boon to Battery as in Idel mode its take only 0.35 Watt and running take only 3 to 4 watts opposed to Spindle Drives which uses from 20 to 30 watts. SSD is also Fast 3 to 4 times Compared to Normal Drive. I have Tested on SSD and my Boot time Decreased just to 18 Second for Windows XP with fully loaded Sofware and Configurations. my Normal Drive was taking 70 to 110 Seconds

Look at this HP Bag for 14 Inch Lappy

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF...09-3211211.html

Just for others-

Mini Laptops are going to be the think for the coming 2 years - u wait and see.

I am loving my Acer AspireOne Mini Laptop, Comes with the Latest Atom Processor 1.6GHz, Intel 945 Chipset, 1 GB Ram, (Boot up time on Full XP Professional SP3 is 1.5 minutes) Now updated 160GB HDD, 8.9" 1024X600 Screen, 3 USB, Wi-Fi, LAN Port, VGA, Headphone+Mic Jacks, Built in Mic, 0.3MP Digicam, 2 card readers (1 is 6in1 type, 1 SD for increasing Storage further permanently), Protective Leather Sleeve Bag. 3 cell battery giving 3 hours battery life. 6 cell optional also available. Only 1 KG Weight - Ultra Portable Only Optical drive is not there. External DVD writer 1700/- with ext. power and 2800/- for USB powered, very thin and sleek.

Price 20,000 for 120GB (Linux) & 23,500 for 160GB with original XP.

These type of products are to watch out... Also available MSI Wind with 10.1 " screen & Bluetooth but with 80GB HDD.

If you want to use your Laptop as your secondary computer along with the desktop as the Main computer, then there is no beating these Mini Laptops, for Price, Full Performance, Enhanced Battery Life (upto 6 hours).

Edited by dkaile

thanks all for advice

got this config. from US

- HP Pavilion dv6700t Entertainment CTO NB

- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)

- Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5850 (2.16GHz)

- 15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

- 50% OFF 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

- 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - For Core 2 Duo Processors

- FREE Upgrade to 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!!

- Webcam Only

- Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth™

- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

- No TV Tuner w/remote control

- High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

- Microsoft® Works 9.0

- Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)

- HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

for 33100

Does it include international warranty? Or how much extra are you going to pay for the international warranty as you are exporting from US?

I would vote for IBM thinkpad. forget changing anything other than battery for next 5 years. it also comes with a trackpoint which will make your life easy