Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
spadival

Vpn Over Cdma 1x Network?

Hi,

I am planning to get a Reliance FWP with R Connect. The main reason I am getting it is that I need to connect to my office over VPN. I.e I first dial in and connect to the net as usual. Then I have to use the company provided VPN software to connect to a VPN server and setup a VPN connection.

My query is whether the CDMA network (Reliance or Tata Indicom) allow VPN access over their 1x network?

Can anyone using internet with a Reliance or a Tata Indicom FWP/mobile tell me if this is possible? Just looking at the starting digit in the ip address will indicate if VPN is possible. Do you guys get an ip address starting with a 10.* or something??

Thanks in advance.

well, hopefully a VPN network should be possible if u are to first connect to the net and then hook up a connection.

But be warned, reliance do not allow your phone to call any other server numbers except #777 from their phones, over the data carriers.

i.e they do not provide data services to any other servers other than their own.

First of all, Thanks for the quick response !!

Well.. I do not have to dial out to a different number other than #777 in order to use VPN connectivity to my office. It works over the internet using a VPN server (which is accessible over the net) and Software + Hard Token at my end.

The problem is with something called a NAT device (Network Address Translation) which these network providers use. These things do strange things to the ip packet which prevents a successful VPN connection.

If u r using 1x CDMA(R-Connect or Tata Indicom), all it takes is to check what is the first digit on the ip address (Start>Run>Cmd>ipconfig on ur PC when u r connected). If it starts with ..say 10.something, then we all are sitting inside a "walled garden" (i.e the carrier's pvt network) with somewhat restricted access to the "outside world" (i.e the Internet) :S.

Cheers :angry:

well, no, all ip from r-connect start with 220.xxx.xxx.xxx

Edited by Chirag

Thanks again. Any idea about what ip's Tata Indicom CDMA 1x users get when they connect? It would be really helpful if any Tata Indicom users can check this for me.

BTW, Is there a forum for Tata Indicom users? This is a great place to get info about the Reliance setup.

VPN Service is available with Reliance in Wireline services. Why dont you check out with Wireline Team at your Reliance City Town Office.

I actually dont need VPN service because my company already has a VPN setup. What I need is internet connectivity that provides a publicly accessible ip address starting with 202.* . Some providers (Airtel GPRS for example) dont provide this.. instead they assign a private ip address starting with 10.*

one of my friend is setting up such set up for charge using reliance. You may contact him on khervawala@hotmail.com

one of my friend is setting up such set up for charge using reliance. You may contact him on khervawala@hotmail.com

As I said earlier, I dont need a VPN setup.. I just need info on what is the first digit of the ip address that Tata Indicom FWP users get when they connect to the net.

Hi there,

I am actualy using Rconnect and VPN together without any issues since last 6 months or so. Our VPN solution is based on Nortel Contivity so I use Contivity VPN Client and I have enabled RConnect as the connection to dial.

Not sure about what IP address you get but surely it's public IP so that should not be a problem for you. No idea about Tata Indicom though.

Regards

Umesh

Hi there,

I am actualy using Rconnect and VPN together without any issues since last 6 months or so. Our VPN solution is based on Nortel Contivity so I use Contivity VPN Client and I have enabled RConnect as the connection to dial.

Not sure about what IP address you get but surely it's public IP so that should not be a problem for you. No idea about Tata Indicom though.

Regards

Umesh

Thanks Umesh. Thats exactly what I use for VPN connectivity :quest:

The Only thing is, right now I am undecided whether to go for R Connect or Tata Indicom.

Tata Indicom has an unlimited plan for Rs 1,000 pm (250mb download limit) an Rs 1,500 (unlimited download) whereas R Connect on FWP on Reliance doesnt have any such data plan !! Plus I am a bit scared about the Reliance billing nightmares !! :blink:

Plus I am a bit scared about the Reliance billing nightmares !!

dont think that TATA has lesser amt of problems with their Billing! I can give u as many live examples of TATA billing problems u want!! :quest:

The only advantage they have is that their customer base is jus a fraction compared to that of Reliance. And hence the hue n cry is lesser!

Check out the speed and quality of the connection before goin for it.. Rest if at all u have any billing issues later, then jus keep the patience of settling them with RIM. It does get settled, only thing is tht it takes time!

Plus I am a bit scared about the Reliance billing nightmares !!

dont think that TATA has lesser amt of problems with their Billing! I can give u as many live examples of TATA billing problems u want!! :quest:

The only advantage they have is that their customer base is jus a fraction compared to that of Reliance. And hence the hue n cry is lesser!

Check out the speed and quality of the connection before goin for it.. Rest if at all u have any billing issues later, then jus keep the patience of settling them with RIM. It does get settled, only thing is tht it takes time!

hi

all ,

till last month i used reliance for R connect i have huge bills so i opted for prepaid, then i took TATA INDICOM FOR INTERNET WITH UNLIMITED FOR 1500/MONTH, THE INTERNET SERIVICE PROVIED BY TATA FWP IS NOT AT ALL COMPARABLE WITH RELIANCE , the connection speed is equal to dial up of BSNL. RELIANCE HAS DOWNLOAD SPEEDS OF 9-10 KBPS BUT THIS TATA INDICOM NEVER CROSSES 5 KBPS TILL MIDNIGHT , this the worst , reliance inernet connectivity is best i assure from my experience , i took this tata fwp because it comes for just 1000 rs , relaince FWP IS NOW 3300 AND THEY DONT REFUND EVEN HALF OF THE AMOUNT IF UR SURRENDER THE PHONE AFTER 3 MONTHS(its one of the reason i opted for TATA FWP, BUT INERNET SERVICE IS POOR,

OK COMING TO VPN TATA CONNECTS WITH IP ADDRESS STARTING WITH 219.64.134.230 ITS MY IP ADRESS CONNECTED NOW THE server address is

203.197.12.30 and some times 202.54.6.50 . AND I DONT KOW ABT BILLING SINCE I TOOK TATA FWP CONNETION ON 2ND AUGUST.

ok i think all got answers abt VPN AND TATA FWP .

-PRAWIN

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. Now makes it even more difficult to choose between the two!!

One good thing is that both of them seem to give you a public ip address unlike Airtel GPRS which I am using right now. One way or the other, It'll be a big step up from connection speed of 10kbps in GPRS!!

Cheers

If you get Reliance FWP connection, Just compare it with Airtel GPRS and inform us.

So we know whether GPRS is really worth of it.

If you  get Reliance FWP connection, Just compare it with Airtel GPRS and inform us.

So we know whether GPRS is really worth of it.

You just cant compare the speeds of a 1x CDMA network with that of a 40kbps (allegedly) Max throughput GPRS network!! GPRS connections are pathetically slow... max an individual user can hope for is speeds up to 13kbps (<--- thats kilobits). Thats one of the reasons why EDGE network is being slowly rolled out by the GSM providers

As far as I can see, the only advantage GPRS has over 1x is that you can recieve calls (provided ur handset/network provider supports it) when you are browsing, even when there is active data traffic. So no missed calls when you are browsing !! The GPRS connection is suspended during the voice call and re-activated when the call is over.

hi all,

whcih mobile model supprots GPRS with airtel and  how much is the download speed , is EDGE TECHNOGLOY introduced in airtel and which model suppaorts it, i heard that with this technology we can connect to net @ 385kbps, waht is the connection speed of GPRS and what is the cost permonth.

-PRAWIN

Few Phones which support GPRS are

Nokia 6610, 6100,

Samsung X100, X600 etc

There are many other phones too

In Airtel you get GPRS for 600/month

Speeds are around 3-4kb/s in my area ( kerala )

Also u get wap in ur phone but thats really slow..

Finally online now with the Tata Indicom FWP :unsure: ... The speed is great. I was able to VPN to my office and download stuff from the net. I dont know why the big deal with people saying Tata Indicom is slow !!

Will be getting rid of my Airtel GPRS connection soon and instead upgrade the FWP internet package to unlimited @ Rs 1,500 /month :)

dslreports and other web based tests claim the speed is 40kbps average. But I do get downloads at 7KB/s - 10 KB/s on my Tata Indicom FWP.

Hey the 40kbps said there is 40kilobits per second

and the 7-10 kb/s you saying is kilobytes per second

8kilobit = 1 kilobyte

So there isnt much difference with the average said by the site and ur estimate ;)

till last month i used reliance for R connect i have huge bills so i opted for prepaid, then i took TATA INDICOM FOR INTERNET WITH UNLIMITED FOR 1500/MONTH, THE INTERNET SERIVICE PROVIED BY TATA FWP IS NOT AT ALL COMPARABLE  WITH RELIANCE , the connection speed is equal to dial up of BSNL. RELIANCE HAS DOWNLOAD SPEEDS OF 9-10 KBPS BUT THIS TATA INDICOM  NEVER CROSSES 5 KBPS TILL MIDNIGHT , this the worst , reliance inernet connectivity is best i assure from my experience , i took this tata fwp because it comes for just 1000 rs , relaince FWP IS NOW 3300 AND THEY DONT REFUND EVEN HALF OF THE AMOUNT IF UR SURRENDER THE PHONE AFTER 3 MONTHS(its one of the reason i opted for TATA FWP, BUT INERNET SERVICE IS POOR,

OK COMING TO VPN TATA CONNECTS WITH IP ADDRESS STARTING WITH  219.64.134.230 ITS MY IP ADRESS CONNECTED NOW THE server address is

203.197.12.30  and some times 202.54.6.50 . AND I DONT KOW ABT BILLING SINCE I TOOK TATA FWP CONNETION ON 2ND AUGUST.

12068[/snapback]

I tested (DEMO) R-connect from Wireless PCMCIA card ,

Check point Secure-remote VPN client ,

RSA Secure ID (hard token)

! It worked

I didnt check the IP though ...

We have placed order for 10 wireless cards for Remote users

Regards

sandum

Hi,

I am planning to get a Reliance FWP with R Connect. The main reason I am getting it is that I need to connect to my office over VPN. I.e I first dial in and connect to the net as usual. Then I have to use the company provided VPN software to connect to a VPN server and setup a VPN connection.

My query is whether the CDMA network (Reliance or Tata Indicom) allow VPN access over their 1x network?

Can anyone using internet with a Reliance or a  Tata Indicom FWP/mobile tell me if this is possible? Just looking at the starting digit in the ip address will indicate if VPN is possible. Do you guys get an ip address starting with a 10.* or something??

Thanks in advance.

11904[/snapback]

I am using Reliance for VPN Connectvity. I use a Checkppint NG VPN Client to access my corporate Mail servers and intranet servers. It is working fne for me. RConnect gives you a public IP address when connected. Initially when I installed the client, it was not working and I searched the Checkpoint website and found a re-installtion of the client software without uninstalling the existing version should solve most of the client problems and it worked for me. I am getting a throughput of 4-6 KBps on the VPN and a ping resposne of 600 ms. My intranet is connected to net on a 20 MB Internet link.

Soans

HCL Comnet

I will be using my company's VPN over R-Connect in about two weeks. I just chat with a R-Connect user in India over Yahoo Messaanger! The voice quality was great. I think it will work out great!