Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Reliance Communications To Launch Cheapest Smartphone At Around Rs.10,000

Business Standard

Mumbai November 07, 2008, 0:18 IST

In yet another predatory pricing move, Reliance Communications (RCom) is launching the cheapest business phone in the country priced around Rs 10,000 to take on existing leaders such as BlackBerry and Nokia.

At present, the cheapest business phone (with personal digital assistants) is priced at Rs 15,000, while high-end phones are available around Rs 13,000.

RCom has completed beta testing and is gearing up for a commercial launch by the next month-end under its own brand. AnyDay, a US-based technology and design firm, has developed the phone for the company, sources close to the development said. The phone will be manufactured in China.

RCom’s smartphone will have internet capabilities, push-mail services (like BlackBerry), Microsoft Office (mobile edition) and PDA functionalities (like address book and appointment reminders). The phone also sports a QWERTY keyboard and has 3G capabilities, but does not have a camera.

An RCom spokesperson said the firm was constantly looking at contributing to the growth of tele-density in the country and has undertaken a number of initiatives to make devices and tariffs more affordable. He, however, declined to comment on the company’s business phone initiatives.

At present, there are more than 300 million mobile connections in the country, of which the business phone segment stands at a meagre 3 per cent. Industry analysts are of opinion that this segment is "growing fast" and with 3G services expected to be launched by January 2009, revenues from operators would mainly come from high-end (data) phone users.

A late entrant into the telecom space, RCom has always undercut prices to gain immediate access and market share. For example, the company launched Monsoon Hungama in 2003, under which it provided a mobile phone for Rs 501 at a time when the minimum price of a handset was Rs 5,000.

It unveiled the cheapest phone at Rs 777 in January this year (at present Spice Mobile sells the cheapest handset at Rs 599) and will soon launch an internet-ready phone for Rs 480.

OMG i cant believe dis.......

I think it will be classic/bleu/fly companys 1st samrtphone...lmao

but great post arun

i will surely wanna see dis 1 for sure

lets see what is it!!

It does not say it's going to be a CDMA one. May be they will use to attract customers to the new GSM roll out.

The news is really good my dear friends. Smartphone @ 10K. Its cool

Regards.

well if its not classic then its gonna b good! . . letc wait n watch!

Somehow they create the hype :SI:

This can be seen as BABY step of 90s in 2008.

BTW Anyday is big US based firm. Most of the Samsungs handsets for Korean market is based on ANYDAY, Anycall and Anydata.

But i am sure they will launch lame handset, Instead they can buy Bulk Sprint/Verizon/Alltell/Uscellulars handsets Rebrand them and sell it through some sister firm called Sadikk and CO. :D They will make Huge profit. :D

Well!! i am serious. :)

It just mean that they will make less profits and are looking for mid arpu customers.

Also if they introduce handsets from unknown manufacturer there are less chances of getting cracked and unlocked means more loyal customer. Else once low or mid end customers comes to know that their cdma handset is useless for other service provider, they simply quit cdma. This is my observation.

Will this model be a GSM or CDMA?

^^^

My dear Saurav, we think this will be a GSM Smartphone.

Regards.

What about the os?

^^^

No updates as per now my dear friend. We are eagerly waiting for the launch of this Smartphone from Reliance.

Regards.

If u are planning to buy a new handset, it would be better to wait some time more

Bcoz 3G is coming in reliance soon...

Will it be a 3G enabled phone?i hope EVDO should be there in it.

@sitansu, 3G is for GSM phones and the CDMA counterpart of 3G is EVDO... so your above posts contradicts itself..

@sitansu, 3G is for GSM phones and the CDMA counterpart of 3G is EVDO... so your above posts contradicts itself..

3G = Third Generation

GSM 3G is = HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA

CDMA 3G is = EVDO Rev 0, Rev A Rev B

^^^ thanks..

any update?

yo!

smartphone at 10k looks good , will be out soon, probably in feb.

with qwerty keyboard and all the functionalities , looks like a good option.

but what about camera????????????????

any updates about the phone. In january, Mr. ambani had suggested that the phone would be launched in the present quarter.

any updates about the phone. In january, Mr. ambani had suggested that the phone would be launched in the present quarter.

They did came up with some stupid handsets like COOLPAD :GirandoOjos: