Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Idea Launched Netsetter Usb Modem For Laptop And Desktop !

IDEA launched USB Modem (IDEA NETSETTER)

IdeaNetSetterUSB.jpg

Idea Cellular has launched the new Net Setter EG612 USB Modem (usable with both desktops & Laptops) with data, & SMS facility. It is a conveniently slim & stylish solution for internet access on the move. USB modem is a dedicated data access (GPRS) device to be used with desktops / laptops for wireless internet (GPRS) access.

Idea Net Setter is a terminal available for high-speed wireless network access, with which the users can access the Internet in the wireless way at home, office, outdoor sites and so on.

The Idea Net Setter supports the following standards:

Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)

General Packet Radio Service (GPRS)

Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution (EDGE)

The Idea Net Setter supports the following services:

Data service

Short message service (SMS)

The EDGE peak rate and effective peak rate are 247kbit/s and 236.8 kbit/s respectively; the GPRS peak rate is 85.6 kbit/s. The IDEA Net Setter is connected to a portable computer or PC by a USB interface. In the service area of the EDGE/GPRS/GSM network, user can wirelessly surf the Internet, send/receive messages and emails. With the high speed, reliable performance, and easy operation of the IDEA Net Setter, the users can enjoy much more in experiencing the wireless network.

The product is priced at Rs. 2490/- MRP (incl of taxes)

Features :

• GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850 MHz/900 MHz/1800 MHz/1900 MHz
  • Global roaming
  • GRPS/EDGE Class1~Class12
  • Data and SMS capabilities.
  • SMS services (group sending and editing the extra-long messages)
  • Plug & Play function, Zero CD installation
  • SIM-lock function

Postpaid Plans

Net Setter 299 • Monthly Rent Rs. 299/- • Free Usage 512 MB • Usage Charges Beyond Free Usage : Rs. 2/MB

Net Setter 399 • Monthly Rent Rs. 399/- • 1 GB • Usage Charges Beyond Free Usage :Rs. 2/MB

Net Setter 849 • Monthly Rent Rs. 849/- for Unlimited Usage

Prepaid Plans

For starters, Idea has an introductory offer for its customers giving 50 MB worth of free download and above that, an additional of 1 paise/10KB will be levied. However, for avid net surfers, there's an unlimited plan with a daily charge of Rs. 30.

Value Proposition :

• Rs. 50 bill discount for 12 bill cycles thus giving a total benefit of Rs. 600/- over a year (applicable for all post paid customers)
  • Service Tax will be charged as applicable
  • SMS Local / National / International will be charged as Rs. 1/- /Rs. 2/- / Rs. 5/-respectively.
  • Home tariff will be applicable while roaming on Idea network, on non-idea networks charge of 10 paise / 10 kB is applicable towards GPRS usage.

Via : Idea Cellular & Techtree

My dear friends, I recently purchased Idea Netsetter. Believe me its speed is really awsome and 100% better then Reliance Data Cards.

I get nearly 25 KB/s speeds through this Edge enabled Usb Modem. Sometimes it goes upto 30 KB/s.

No installation problems at all. Just insert the Modem in Usb Port and it get installed itself.

It supports Vista also.

Their's a scheme going on till 30th November 2008. Just pay Rs.360/- extra and get 2 months unlimited usage free. Means you pay Rs.2490/- + Rs.360/- = Rs.2850/- and you can enjoy two months unlimited usage.

I purchased this Usb Modem under the above scheme. And now enjoying the awsome speeds of this device.

I didn't faced any issues till now with Idea Netsetter. Lets hope for the best in the future also.

Regards.

I am using Idea GPRS on my edge enabled handset (Nokia 3110c) & i am somewhat satisfied by its services as it is neither too slow nor too fast. it is really helpful on the move. It is good for surfing, chat, mail but not very useful for downloading files.

I have a corporate Idea connection & i am getting a special offer for GPRS, Rs 245 rental pm for unlimited surfing.

The question i want to ask is that DO WE REALLY NEED TO BUY A USB MODEM FOR INTERNET WHEN WE CAN DO THE SAME ON AN EDGE ENABLED HANDSET ? What is the difference between the two ?

For 25 KB

Rs. 849 price is very good for the Connection on move

The question i want to ask is that DO WE REALLY NEED TO BUY A USB MODEM FOR INTERNET WHEN WE CAN DO THE SAME ON AN EDGE ENABLED HANDSET ? What is the difference between the two ?

^^^

My dear Anurag, the speed of an Edge enabled handset and this Edge enable Usb Data Card can vary alot. Some handsets only have Class-6 Edge, Some has Class-8 and Some has Class10 Edge. Also the Class of GPRS makes a difference. If the Class of Edge & Gprs is lower in your handset then you will get lower speeds.

And moreover if we use our Edge enabled handsets for surfing via Bluetooth, then it consumes lots of battery and if we surf using a Data Cable then our handset's battery will be gone within a few months.

So, here it makes a difference if we use USB Modem. No Battery, No Charging. And higher Class of Edge and GPRS.

Regards.

Airtel Unlimted is on 1R1T EDGE Slots, 1 Slot in Received and 1 in Transmission

Idea looks like 4R1T Slots that why this kinda speed is possible.

Airtel Unlimted is on 1R1T EDGE Slots, 1 Slot in Received and 1 in Transmission

Idea looks like 4R1T Slots that why this kinda speed is possible.

For 25 KB

Rs. 849 price is very good for the Connection on move

^^^

My dear Hetal, even sometimes I get speeds upto 30 KB/s. But as we get fluctuating speeds on data cards, the average comes to 25 KB/s.

And you are right, Rs.849/- for unlimited usage at this speeds is really good.

Regards.

Kamal sirji,thanks for the wonderful review and thanks for posting ur experience,reading all this i m getting tempted to go for an idea netsetter.

Just wanted 2 ask is the netsetter network locked? I mean 2 ask did u try inserting sim of other network like vodafone,bpl or airtel

i m of the view that we can get such data card in the grey market for less, anyone tried it?

@coolboyashok.....is there any chance 2 get the netsetter belove mrp?

^^^

My dear Pankaj, this is really a good USB Modem. Speeds are awsome.

But it is network locked.

And you even can't make Voice Calls with it. Even when you try to insert the netsetter sim in mobile handset and try to make a voice call, then you won't be able to.

Only you can send and recieve SMS's.

Now the best part of this Data Card / Usb Modem :

My dear friends, the latest model of this Usb Modem which is introduced in Mumbai recently, is 3G enabled.

Yes, that means, whenever in the future 3G introduced in India, we will get 3G speeds with this USB Modem. No need to upgrade to a newer hardware for this. Its confirmed. I myself confirmed this from the technical department of IDEA 4-5 times.

So, its better to invest in this USB Modem.

Vodafone also introduced its USB Stick which is 3G enabled. But you know they are always costly. Their 3G enabled USB Modem is priced around approx. 6000/-.

And this Netsetter from IDEA is less then the half price of Vodafone's 3G enabled USB Modem.

I'm 100% satisfied with IDEA'S Netsetter's performance.

Regards.

Just hope to see airtel upgrading its network ... Have 3 connections - all of them on the 199 advanced gprs plan - where I get unlimited internet usage on the move for just 199/- (its an old plan - which i got thro some jhol) ... speeds are satisfactory ... get between 17-20Kbps. Idea seems to be offering good ... but considering what I've got - the cost quotient does not sound really cool.

Cheers

karki

(its an old plan - which i got thro some jhol)

^^^

Dear Ashok Bhai, please teach us also some JHOL JHAL like this. :P:winko:

Idea unlimited gprs for Rs.245 under corporate connection available here in mumbai ?

whts the uploading n dwnlding speed u getting........i chked on the site..the specs look gud ...anybody frm delhi who can carry forward the torch.....

Edited by viper_in_blood

^^^

Read my post number 2 and you will get the Idea of Speed my dear friend.

^^^

Read my post number 2 and you will get the Idea of Speed my dear friend.

i got ur point...if the downld speed is 25-30 kbps.....the upload speed shud vary between 10-12kbps......i ws asking coz maybe there cud be heavy difference as delhi is idea's stronghold.........so any user of delhi who cud confirm it......

^^^

My dear Abhish upload speeds are also good in IDEA Netsetter.

Anyone who's going to purchase this data card should keep in mind to purchase only the new stock that is 3G enabled. Old Netsetter doesn't have 3G capabilities.

If Idea can sell this Superior (Plug n play, Speed & Tariffs) Data Card at 2490/- then we should also expect RComm coming up with it to push both GSM Data Card sales as its doing in Prepaid SIMs.

Is this technology or hardware not available in CDMA too or is it that RComm's infra cannot support it.

Along with adding GSM transmitters they could have further enhanced their infrastructure once & for all, instead of someone climbing up & down every now n then.. making upgrades only when competition demands.

^^^

My dear Abhish upload speeds are also good in IDEA Netsetter.

Anyone who's going to purchase this data card should keep in mind to purchase only the new stock that is 3G enabled. Old Netsetter doesn't have 3G capabilities.

thnks a lot man..ws struk up between reliance(since i hd pcmcia card n i ws fed with its performance) n idea(which i just hv heard frm u)...but now i will be going for idea NetSetter.......thnks alot again.......

Edited by viper_in_blood

^^^

You are always welcome my dear Abhish.

If Idea can sell this Superior (Plug n play, Speed & Tariffs) Data Card at 2490/- then we should also expect RComm coming up with it to push both GSM Data Card sales as its doing in Prepaid SIMs.

Is this technology or hardware not available in CDMA too or is it that RComm's infra cannot support it.

Along with adding GSM transmitters they could have further enhanced their infrastructure once & for all, instead of someone climbing up & down every now n then.. making upgrades only when competition demands.

^^^

My dear Jayanth, in Mumbai IDEA has setup fully 3G compatible Network.

And I think that newly launched Rcom GSM's network too is 3G compatible. So, their is hope that in the near future we can get the same offer from Reliance GSM Data Cards also as IDEA is providing.

Regards.

Hi,

Are you sure that new lot of Netsetter Usb Modems are 3G/UMTS enabled? Because current version available in Pune is upto Class 12 Edge (around 236 Kbps). A 3G/UMTS version could theoritically go to 384 Kbps, a difference of almost around 144 Kbps.

I enquired with Idea Gallery in Aundh, Pune and showed a guy there this thread. This guy talked to someone concerned on phone about new Netsetter stock, and even shared this thread URL but at the end told me that Netsetter being 3G is not possible, else they (Idea shop) would have got the information. As for the Idea network in Mumbai being 3G, are you sure about it? I guess the auction for 3G spectrum was to happen sometimes in Jan/Feb 2009.

If you or anyone in Mumbai has the specs of this 3G Netsetter, can you post a picture of the modem package box here that mentions the technical details about the modem. Apart from that additional information about which Idea shop/gallery in Mumbai is having this stock (their contact address/number) so that I can get the local Idea guys to interact with them and find out how to get 3G Netsetter new stock.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards

Sandeep

^^^

My dear Sandeep, I clearly mentioned in my post that only the new stocks which is available in Mumbai is 3G enabled. Can't say about rest of Maharashtra. But in Mumbai IDEA is providing the latest state of the art technology which will support 3G data speeds in the near future without any hardware alteration. Means that the new Data Card (Netsetter) is capable to work on 3G Network.

You are right, that 3G specturm auction is yet to be happen in India. But till 3G is not available we only get a maximum 236 kbps of speed. As soon as 3G spectrum is alloted to the service providers and Operators starts 3G services, this data card will work on the 3G network and provide the maximum speeds which is much more then what we get as of now.

About its 3G compatibility, I'd confirmed 3 times before purchasing this Netsetter. You too can confirm the same from Mumbai Customer Care. And nearly all IDEA Galleries have this Netsetter available with them.

Regards.

Will this card work with RGSM?

^^^

A big NO my dear Saurav.

I saw whole thread and if I am not wrong then IDEA is best in USB modem.

Any idea/exp abt it's performance in Delhi/NCR region?

Friends please share ur experience about IDEA...

Edited by akshmail