Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Mufaddal

Phones Set On Fire In Nokia Store

The world's largest mobile phone manufacturer is under fire, literally, for a mapping mishap that caused a patriotic uprising from members of India's Bharatiya Janata Party. The latest release of Nokia Maps, the company's own GPS-enabled navigational mapping application, apparently contained some inaccurate information. Nokia Maps listed Kashmir as being part of Pakistan - an insult of sorts to members of the BJP.

A youthful congregation from the BJP raided a Nokia Store in Jabalpur City, grabbing Nokia handsets and setting them on fire. The attack is seen as a protest of Nokia's mis-information and highlights the BJP's sensitivity on Pakistani matters. One BJP organizer said that the Nokia Maps mistake was "a case of anti-nationalism. We demanded that the Nokia and other people involved in the conspiracy be booked for spreading anti-national activities. We will intensify the protest if this case has not been registered."

Surprisingly, the shop owner was fairly accepting of the BJP's protest method. "This is the problem of Nokia and we are not concerned with it as we are merely shop owners, not the client of the company. But, the manner in which the mob entered and started torching the shop is bad," said Rafiq Khan, the Nokia Store owner.

[Via: MobileCrunch]

Edited by mufaddal_km

Of course the way people vented their anger is wrong.but it is a matter of spect concern for all indians.KASHMIR is an integral part of india and there should be no doubt about it.if nokia has misrepresented it,IT'S a grave fault.they must correct it without delay.definitely such mistakes fuel anger among people.they are here to do business.they have got no right to misrepresent facts.they should apologise and rectify the mistake.

Plz mark the owner's name : Rafiq Khan

And the rest u know. :arghhhh: Dirty Politicians.

showing Kashmir as a part of pakistan is an insult to the whole of India not only to the bjp,still the way bjp reacted was unfortunate.

The world's largest mobile phone manufacturer is under fire, literally, for a mapping mishap that caused a patriotic uprising from members of India's Bharatiya Janata Party. The latest release of Nokia Maps, the company's own GPS-enabled navigational mapping application, apparently contained some inaccurate information. Nokia Maps listed Kashmir as being part of Pakistan - an insult of sorts to members of the BJP.

A youthful congregation from the BJP raided a Nokia Store in Jabalpur City, grabbing Nokia handsets and setting them on fire. The attack is seen as a protest of Nokia's mis-information and highlights the BJP's sensitivity on Pakistani matters. One BJP organizer said that the Nokia Maps mistake was "a case of anti-nationalism. We demanded that the Nokia and other people involved in the conspiracy be booked for spreading anti-national activities. We will intensify the protest if this case has not been registered."

Surprisingly, the shop owner was fairly accepting of the BJP's protest method. "This is the problem of Nokia and we are not concerned with it as we are merely shop owners, not the client of the company. But, the manner in which the mob entered and started torching the shop is bad," said Rafiq Khan, the Nokia Store owner.

[Via: MobileCrunch]

^^^

Yes my dear friends, its really a insult to our Nation. We should boycott NOKIA until they Apologise.

Why Nokia have done like this? They insulted our country. But this is my request to my brothers and sisters do not put anger to the wholesale and retail shops. And please don't damage the things. That is not their fault. I think in India Nokia have big factory. Try to offend the factory. Then Nokia official should realise the fact. Please please don't damage our public and private properties that the dirty politicians are doing now.

Think about the different way of strike without affecting any casualities, damages, etc.

very rite ....it is nokia who should pay for this....why to harm the retailers ,its not their fault.

it should b the government who should take a proepr stand on this by warning nokia that if they dont apologise and chnage the maps it wont b allowed to sale or manufacture its products here

Its really shocking that Nokia is treating their second largest market in such an undignified manner.

Down with Nokia.

Where did they get this info from.. some Pakistani Google site or something?

Since Nokia is a Finnish Company.. its surprising to note from where this is coming !

My dear friends, actually these foreigners are always been unfaithful to India.

See the example of BBC. In the recent Mumbai terror attacks when two Terrorists enter CST Station at Mumbai, the same has been reported by BBC as : TWO GUNMEN ENTER CST STATION AT MUMBAI. Now what the hell it is. They are saying that these men were not TERRORISTS but GUNMEN.

So, if these men were really GUNMEN in the eyes of BBC then Why don't BBC employ such kind of Gunmen at their headoffice.

My dear friends, actually these foreigners are always been unfaithful to India.

See the example of BBC. In the recent Mumbai terror attacks when two Terrorists enter CST Station at Mumbai, the same has been reported by BBC as : TWO GUNMEN ENTER CST STATION AT MUMBAI. Now what the hell it is. They are saying that these men were not TERRORISTS but GUNMEN.

So, if these men were really GUNMEN in the eyes of BBC then Why don't BBC employ such kind of Gunmen at their headoffice.

It is because we are faithful to WESTERN COUNTRIES more than our own country. BBC is one of the worst news service as far as biased reporting against India is concern. And surprising thing is most of pseudo intelactuals will be so loyal to BBC that any thing said on BBC is god word for them.

I am using Nokia - will check Nokia map and if found so, will surely lodge protest. BTW I have seen Readers Digest Atlas too - in past - showing POkashmir as part of pakistan.

More important thing is our legal system and politicians should be able to take quick actions against such propagenda. These are all propeganda - hence over a period of time - most part of the world remember POK and PAKISTANI KASHMIR rather than territory under dispute between two countries.

Well I think may be NOKIA is confused between POK & Kashmir.

However it should apologise.

Edited by Asit

India should impose a BAN on Nokia handsets atleast upto the resoltution of this issue.

i hate both bbc and cnn...never see what news they show .....

this issue needs to b sort by the government ...as even google maps initailly had done the same mistake........our idiotic and moronic governmnetshould tackle issues at global level rather then burning handstes and other breaking into retail shops and destroying proeprty of ther own fellow indians

Why our politicians are mostly depending upon the western countries? We have the capacity to stand in our own legs. If Nokia is not apologising, Our government should want to warn them. Public should want to ask our government to issue explanation from Nokia. If they are not responding within the certain time We don't want Nokia in our country and surely I will thow away my N73.

If you look on other countries top officials and scientists, the head will be an Indian. We are Indians and our people can do anything even in technology, sciency, medical, construction, aerospace, etc. etc. Recently Shamil Bank from Bahrain appointed Mr. Hariharan as their senior Manager - Risk Management. Hariharan is named senior manager of Shamil Bank There is lot of Indians serving other countries even myself.(I'm Not a top official, normal Engineer). If India will give them opportunity to serve our contry, we are the super power in this world.

Edited:

I checked in Garmin Maps also, It is showing LoC and International Border on it and not clear. But what I have studied in my school days, defenitely it is not in Garmin.

Edited by santhoshavanoor

thats becoz its a fu**ing reality .....a part of our kashmir is already been occupied by independent factions from pakistan. since many years ....and v r doing nothin about it......what maps v have studied are true only on paper ....but in reality a certain portion of kashmir is been lost and not under our control

Certainly whether we like it or not POK is not in our control, else how pakistan will dare to gift portion of it to china? They have gifted huge are to china after 1971 that portion is now in china control. Our government is still negotiating for sir creek close to gujarat. I fear we will loose it too.

our idiotic and moronic governmnet should tackle issues at global level rather then burning handstes and other breaking into retail shops and destroying proeprty of ther own fellow indians

Well said..

One correction though.. its the BJP who's doing it.

Congress probably wouldn't get into extremist actions.. unless one of their MLA's wants to get sudden focus.

Why favour any party? Bjp or congress or any other party are same infant some of deed of Bjp party during bajpayee regime was appreciable one of them was attempt to remove VT (victoria territory ) from our air craft numbers. Their application was rejected because codes they suggested were not accepted by international body and then government went off.

^^^ i dont know anything about this aircraft thing, tell me more please.

Dear Sadik,

Aircrafts have also the registration numbers same like our road transport vehicles, cars, etc. If any aircraft want to fly after production they should want to take registration from IATA(International Air Transport Association) and the aircraft must comply with the rules and regulations of ICAO(International Civil Aviation Organization). Every country have given a starting code of two letters for aircraft registration. But I think we can request IATA/ICAO to change the starting code of India and Mr. Shah posted indicated that we have applied and rejected because If they approve this code, then whole of our aircrafts even Air India, Indian airlines, and other private aircrafts registered in India should want to change their registration numbers and all IATA/ICAO members should want to change these numbers from their databases. it is long procedure and even once you look at the radar monitoring of each airspace, aircrafts are indicated with their registration numbers. Once radar control hand over the aircraft to Air Traffic control, they will call them by using their call sign like AI100, WY 2300 etc. But these codes are for flight route and charting information. Registration code will be permanent and flight code can change if they change their routes.

Abbreviations used for IATA/ICAO coding:

A: Alpha

B: Bravo

C: Charlie

D: Delta

E: Echo

F: Foxtrot

G: Golf

H: Hotel

I: India

J: Juliet

K: Kilo

L: Lima

M: Mic

N: November

O: October

P: Papa

Q: Quebec

R: Romeo

S: Sierra

T: Tango

U: Uniform

V: Victor

W: Whisky

X: xray

Y: Yankee

Z: Zulu.

See the I indicating India, If we give more pressure from our side, it is possible to register all Indian aircrafts with our own country codes.

I'll check with CAA officials what are the two letter codes given for each countries and if I got it I will post it here.

For more information please visit to Airline Codes. You can check various codes for airports, aircrafts, airlines, etc.

Edited by santhoshavanoor

I dont know from which year it started, but all aircrafts has identification number on it. India when it was under british rule, it was given code VT. It means VICTORIA TERRITORY.

Once we got independent and if you read about independence of many country - first thing they ever did was to apply for change their code. In India our government slept for so many years and it was Bajpayee government which applied for the first time ever to change code from VT to some thing else. I dont recollect which codes they ased for and why those codes were rejected - but all codes were rejected and by then Bajpayee government regime ended.

read code here http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/regprefixcur.asp

Edited by kshah

I dont know from which year it started, but all aircrafts has identification number on it. India when it was under british rule, it was given code VT. It means VICTORIA TERRITORY.

Once we got independent and if you read about independence of many country - first thing they ever did was to apply for change their code. In India our government slept for so many years and it was Bajpayee government which applied for the first time ever to change code from VT to some thing else. I dont recollect which codes they ased for and why those codes were rejected - but all codes were rejected and by then Bajpayee government regime ended.

read code here http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/regprefixcur.asp

Dear Shah,

You are right, VT stands for Victoria Territory, because of the british rule in India. But now a days nobody calling Victoria Territory as a call sign for the aircrafts. The call sign is Victor Tango. Eg; if a registration code of an Aircraft is VTA12C, its call sign is Victor Tango Alpha One Two Charlie. As per ICAO rules, nobody can pronounciate as Simplë as "VTA12C" should want to pronounciate full abbreviations as "Victor Tango Alpha One Two Charlie".

For flight information code; if the code is AI123, the call sign is Air India 123. For Air India Express, the call sign starts as Express India, For Indian Airlines, Indian, for Jet airways, Jetair; for Gulf air, Gulf air etc.. Once an Aircraft entered in the airspace of each air traffic control tower or the monitoring radar control, they should want to inform the operator their registration code of the aircraft. From that registration code they can know the registration country, aircraft model, type and manufacturing year. After or before landing or take off once again they should want to repeat their codes if requested by ATC. This is the normal procedures.

I don't use Nokia nor planning to use Nokia in the future until they fix their MAPs correctly reflecting the World order. Just because Taliban is influencing and ruling most of the Western Pakistan you just can't mention Taliban Territory in the MAP unless Pakistan does not mind it because I dont' see any big difference.