Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
niket

RIM Handset Ready Reckoner

Hello,

I want to know following amongst all hand sets offered by RIM

1. Sending group SMS (not send to many or similar facility but where you create group of multiple numbers and then send SMS to all just by selecting group)

2. T9 dictionary (Its not available in SCH-191)

3. Number of characters for all hand sets. (160 for 191)

4. SMS using PC application. Like Nokia 3565 can send SMS using Nokia PC sync sort of software.

Please post your experience and comment is this topic.

LG 2030

• Group SMS Not avl
  • SMS length - 160 characters
  • U cant edit T9 dictionary. But yes, there is T9 in the phone; U can call it Predictive Text Input! And it adds words in its Dictionary as new words which r unknown to it, r typed.(No. of such new words is also limited)
  • Cant send SMS using PC Sync

Hi all

I realized that information about all the hand set featurs are not available in compiled form, so I post zipped MS word dox here. Please download, make correction, add features, comments etc and post it back. Lets make this document as ready reckoner for the members who wants to upgrade or buy a new connection.

This will save many from choosing wrong handset. Hope all agree with me and share their information.

RIM_HANDSET_FEATURE_COMPARISION.zip

Added LG2030 Details.

But r u sure that N191 has 160 Characters? I doubt, coz the one i have has only 140 characters!

No chirag I am sorry, its 140, it was purley a mistake as usually SMS are of 160 chars. I apologize all for mistake.

I added one feature to document, i.e. can phone book entry be sent as SMS. In my old GSM siemens and Triums had this facility and was very useful.

I also request mod to change heading of this post suitable. I suggest "Lets create hand set ready reckoner"

RIM_HANDSET_FEATURE_COMPARISION.zip

I dont understand why there is 140 character sms in some reliance phones? the international standard for sms is 160 characters. ;)

How many charecters do you type in the RWorld>MMS>ADD Text feature? For me, it is much lower than usual SMS.

SCH 191 does support predictive text. I know because I have used the mobile! You have to enable it from your SMS options.

I doubt if any of the mobiles have Group SMS -- i.e. you are able to define groups say "dirty sms group" and send messages to all memebers of that group. However you can send one messages to more than one person (max 10) at a time.

No of characters is the same for all CDMA mobiles and a damned shame because its less than the number of chars in a GSM mobile! So most of the lenghty forwards I receive from my GSM buddies have they punch line chopped off! :clap::angry:

Im not sure about the PC Sync software - I think you can find something in the Samsung Group of this Forum.

The length for sms on gtran is 160 characters. and i think that should be the case in nokia as well, but GTRAN does not have group sms

No of characters is the same for all CDMA mobiles and a damned shame because its less than the number of chars in a GSM mobile! So most of the lenghty forwards I receive from my GSM buddies have they punch line chopped off!  :clap:   :angry:

This really is a major drawback of RIM! :angry: Just yesterday, a friend of mine tired to send me a wonderful forward from a GSM phone with the size of about 3 SMSes (considering 160 as max). It simply didn't come through ...not even truncated! And he tried twice.

This is a very significant flaw ...enough for SMS junkies to avoid RIM altogether! Why be stuck with 140 / 160 measly characters when GSM users can send several hundred characters in a single SMS??? :blink:

Moreover, GSM ops have 30p SMS schemes; and also most RIM phones don't have group SMSing feature!

Edited by raccoon

How many charecters do you type in the RWorld>MMS>ADD Text feature? For me, it is much lower than usual SMS.

15198[/snapback]

That feature supports text upto 65 chars. including whitespace chars.

This is a very significant flaw ...enough for SMS junkies to avoid RIM altogether! Why be stuck with 140 / 160 measly characters when GSM users can send several hundred characters in a single SMS???

15230[/snapback]

A feature predominant in Nokia phones.. but RIM Nokia 2280 does not support it. This is weird. I dont think technology is the problem here.

Earlier, most of the sms from my friends to me used to fail. I never could figure out why. Then I had to tell all of them to send short sms.

15198[/snapback]

That feature supports text upto 65 chars. including whitespace chars.

15247[/snapback]

It's sad that they reduced it unnecessarily. Earlier on it was virtually unlimited although T9En was working only till approx 200 chars.

Earlier, most of the sms from my friends to me used to fail. I never could figure out why. Then I had to tell all of them to send short sms.

So now we discover again that RIM overcharges bills and shortchanges SMSes (amongst other things)...

Edited by raccoon

I checked up the Samsung Sleek Phone today completely. This fone is quite good with the simple features it has.

No R-World or R-Connect.

SMS length 140 characters!

I've been using N191 for last yr n half. It can easily receive 160 char SMSes but on forwarding only 140 chars go. Regarding its phone book, it has 300 locations and per location there r 6 no.slots : Sped dial, home, mobile, office, fax, pager; 1 email slot ; 1 ringtone; 1 secret; 1 group slot.... thus making total entries upto 300x6=1800.

It also has this unique feature of saving a no. in the text of a sms...different from the sender's no. by pressing the call key when reading the sms.

It ringtone output is much better than lg2030, so also the streaming stuffs. Its screen res is utterly poor.

no comparison.7230 is superior to 7130 as the model name itslef :confuse:

7230 not available in Delhi. too bad.

can I/ will I be able to buy a handset from another city and use a HCC and then change my GTRAN to 7230?is it possible? will they give me just a phone and i can buy a hcc from another place?

In that case where should i buy the HCC from?

is HCC available in all cities?

can u people tell me if 7230 is available in your cities?

is 7230 available in the open market?

say i am in delhi, I want to change my handset from GTRAN to 7230, and this handset is not available in delhi. now if say i go to chandigarh, and i buy a 7230 from there and i come back to delhi and get a HCC from here, will i be able to change my handset? will this thing work?

Please Help!