Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ravi_patent

Sistema Launch On Schedule

^^^

I never used GSM till last year.

I have been using Rel CDMA for last 6 years and Now I started using Reliance GSM last year.

As of Today, When I compare both Technology, I find CDMA more Powerful and better.

CDMA is anytime better than GSM.

Infact now I hate GSM.

I agree But U Sud Compare Reliance CDMA with Airtel of Idea GSM.

ANy Way GSM rocks when it comes to Add on Services, Handset Availability, Easy Handset Switching, On fly OTA GPRS / EDGE COnfiguration etc.

THE ECONOMIC TIMES

7 Sep 2009, 0301 hrs IST, Durba Ghosh, ET Bureau

'We have decided to focus on CDMA'

7 Sep 2009, 0301 hrs IST, Durba Ghosh, ET Bureau

Sistema Shyam Teleservices (SSTL), a joint venture between Russia's Sistema and India's Shyam group, is betting big on the code division multiple access (CDMA) platform.

The only CDMA operator among the country's new crop of mobile service providers, Sistema Shyam Teleservices is confident of competing successfully against players such as Reliance Communication and Tata Teleservices in the CDMA space, the company CEO Vsevolod Rozanov said in an interview. Excerpts:

Which way is the Indian telecom market moving? Will data emerge as a dominant strategy?

Although data is seen as the next big thing, I feel voice would continue to be the predominant contributor of operators' revenues. In India, voice services offer untapped potential as more than 100 million people are not availing the telecom services. Data can play a significant role in some areas but voice will remain dominant especially in tier-2 and 3 cities. Data consumption would constitute very small portion of the average revenue per user.

How would you analyse your own performance in the Indian market?

We are currently operating in six circles, with Kolkata and Bihar as latest additions. We have received good response from almost all our circles. Consumer response from Tamil Nadu and Kerala were very encouraging in the April-July quarter.

We are also ready to launch in Delhi in the next few months, and in Mumbai by the end of this year. We will continue to develop and improve our business plans and we expect to capture about 7% of the market in the next four years. Competition is intense already, and it will get more fierce as new players launch their services. But we expect to break even soon.

Is infrastructure sharing and outsourcing a strategy SSTL is considering?

Infrastructure sharing is a wise way to go ahead in a crowded market such as India and we have also done it. We are exploring opportunities for outsourcing also both complete and partial.

We are keen on combining our in-house solutions with an outsourcing partner. We are also in talks for network-managed services with a few vendors, as well as active sharing. We are exploring opportunities to improve our efficiency and top line. On the equipment side, we have already tied up with ZTE and Huawei.

Why is India an important market for Sistema, when others are looking at expanding in regions such as Africa?

Indian market is the only market that continues to offer a huge potential to unlock. All other markets are saturated. It has strong economic fundamentals. India has huge potential for telecom services.

Many international companies are interested in the Indian market to support their growth. As far as the African region is concerned, we look at it as a wise business move. There is a very good reason for consolidation play there. It is possible to find a reasonable growth there.

But if you are buying assets in Africa, you really need to think how you are going to play it up there, as the traditional market solution would not work there. India is a safer market compared to Africa. Right now we are focused on the Indian market.

Will the Trai suggestion that no new licences be granted till a final decision on number of players per circle is taken affect you plans to enter the GSM space?

We are not looking at dual technology as of now. After internal discussion, we have decided to focus on CDMA. We had applied for dual technology licence but we are not looking at it anymore. According to our understanding, CDMA is a better technology than GSM because enabling better utilisation of the frequencies available.

Would you support entry of any new players in the Indian telecom scene? Do you see it as an advantage?

The telecom market in India is still evolving and growing and there will be consolidations as we move forward. However, so many players in a single market is unheard of in any other market. Although there is a huge market still to be penetrated, increasing the number of players would not really help.

This is because the requirement currently is in rural areas, while the metros are by and large saturated. Any new player would not start with rural circles but with the metros. So increasing the number of players cannot solve the problem, the basic requirement is to attract existing operators to rural areas by building infrastructure.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Interviews/We-have-decided-to-focus-on-CDMA/articleshow/4979948.cms

Edited by vvinayakpai

any idea of MUMBAI launch?

eagerly waiting to try another CDMA operator.

any idea of MUMBAI launch?

eagerly waiting to try another CDMA operator.

Have u buyed MTS, mumbai?

waht is roaming charges for going to maharashtra network??

Do they provide free incoming in maharashra?

does offer benifit also applicable in maha?

We're in for long haul and not for quick buck : Mikhail Shamolin

Read the interview here.