Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ravi_patent

Bids Invited For Number Portability

NEW DELHI: After a series of delays, the communications ministry has got cracking on mobile number portability (MNP), which allows

consumers

to change their telecom operator but retain their number.

Over the weekend, the Department of Telecom (DoT) invited bids from companies with worldwide experience to implement MNP in India.

According to the new timeline, the last date for the submission of bids will be February 6 and the winner will be announced on March 5. If the latest timeline is followed, customers can expect to access this facility in the second half of 2009.

DoT has also clarified to all potential bidders that the amount customers will have to pay to change their operators will be decided by Trai. In 2006, Trai had recommended that consumers pay between Rs 200 and Rs 300 every time he/she wants to change their service provider. But, DoT has now said that the regulator would specify a new port fee before MNP is introduced.

The government had approved MNP in late-2007 and said the facility would be introduced in the four metros by the second half of 2008. Since then, implementation of MNP has missed several launch dates. Number portability has so far been introduced in countries like Australia, Korea, Japan, Canada, the US, the UK, most of Europe and Pakistan. According to reports, its introduction has been followed by up to 20-50% subscribers switching operators in some of these countries.

The communications ministry has turned down demands of a few potential bidders to relax existing norms that allows only those companies to participate in the bid which have experiences in similar projects in international markets.

Besides, DoT has also added that these companies should have ported a minimum of about 25-million numbers in the markets they currently operate in. The Department has said that the list of pre-qualified bidders will be released on February 16 and selected companies will have to make presentations on rollout plans on February 23-24.

DoT will select two centralised operators who will administer and implement this service.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articl...2.cms?prtpage=1

Now the bells are ringing...

i m tired waiting for everything

The bell have rang so many time, but the Result is not coming?

Eagerly waiting for this MNP, not for switching operator, but hoping quality of service will improve a lot. I am having a Reliance CDMA and an Airtel

i dont know what are they waiting for ....yesterday i just read that in china the auctions for 3G spectrum are already over and the bandwidth allocation is already been announced for respective carriers ...

China is always fast in their things... our bureaucrats should learn something from them..!!

i dont know what are they waiting for ....yesterday i just read that in china the auctions for 3G spectrum are already over and the bandwidth allocation is already been announced for respective carriers ...

China is using a new 3G technology called TD-SCDMA . They have auctioned spectrum for WCDMA-UMTS as well but mainly for TD-SCDMA

Let us see how this new technology pans out.

China dont have many operators, main china operator is China Unicom which is state run company like BSNL.

Our government is fool and play like monkey who dance and jump on masters tunes.

I am not even waiting for 3G, happy what we already have, as they will not start it before 2010 :)

They have three operators in China - China Mobile, China Unicom & China Netcom

And the main contract for TD-SCDMA has gone to China Unicom.

When will CDMA2000 1x EV-DO and WCDMA/HSDPA services start in India ? Only God knows :GirandoOjos::GirandoOjos:

MTNL has already launched 3G services in delhi

Yes but it is only available in a limited area in Delhi and not available in Gurgaon, Noida etc.

And even then, that is just one operator in only one circle of the country.

Nevertheless, we are getting way too off-topic here. This thread was supposed to be about MNP.

At least the MNP thing seems to be going in the right direction as of now.

Mobile number portability by August: Raja

22 Feb 2009, 1858 hrs IST

Press Trust of India

Mobile customers need no longer worry about the need to change numbers when they opt for a different operator as the Centre plans to

introduce mobile number portability in the country by August this year.

"The mobile number portability enabling customers to retain their old number while shifting from one operator to another would be launched in major cities by August this year," Union Minister for IT and Communication A Raja told reporters here on the occasion of launch of BSNL's 3G services.

He said the service would be launched in major cities by August and subsequently in other cities by end of this year.

Reacting to the announcement, BSNL Chairman Kuldeep Goyal, who was also present, said that it "was a welcome step" and expressed hope BSNL would get many new subscribers because of this.

Now thats some good news my dear friends. :)

One clarification here..

Ive heard ppl saying that once MNP comes, not only can you retain your Mob number while changing operators but also while changing your SDCA. Just like China which has no prefix system like 931 / 932 / 933 etc.

i.e. Even if someone moves from Mumbai to Bangalore, he can retain his number... :Confuso:

I first rubbished it but started hearing from others too.. some newspaper spreading it or what ?

Mobile number portability by August, says Raja

Union Communications and IT Minister A Raja today said the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) was planning to start mobile number portability (MNP) in major cities of the country by August, and in the remaining cities by the end of this year. Bids had already been invited for providing the MNP switches, the minister added.

Source

One clarification here..

Ive heard ppl saying that once MNP comes, not only can you retain your Mob number while changing operators but also while changing your SDCA. Just like China which has no prefix system like 931 / 932 / 933 etc.

i.e. Even if someone moves from Mumbai to Bangalore, he can retain his number... :Confuso:

I first rubbished it but started hearing from others too.. some newspaper spreading it or what ?

You heard it correct my dear Jayanth. Its true, after the implimentation of MNP a subscriber from anywhere can retain his number even if he moves to somewhere else. :)

Not only the mobiles but also the same will be applicable to Landlines / Fwp's etc.

Regards.