Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ravi_patent

Reliance Communications Halves Gsm Rates For Cep

Business Standard

Mumbai February 12, 2009, 0:49 IST

Upping the ante in telecom price war, Reliance Communications (RCom) has reduced its GSM tariffs by 50 per cent by doubling talktime period and extending validity for lifetime. However, the move has failed to amuse the existing GSM players as they have opted for a “wait and watch” policy.

The company has enhanced validity and talk-time of its already launched GSM tariff plans. Under the new offer, subscribers would be able to make local calls at 50 paise per minute (Re 1 earlier) and STD calls at 75 paise per minute (Rs 1.50 earlier). It had also extended validity for lifetime (licence period of the company).

Earlier, Reliance Mobile GSM had offered limited validity of either 3 months or 6 months, which has now been enhanced to lifetime validity, by default. Thus, all new Reliance Mobile GSM connections will come with lifetime validity at a nominal charge, RCom said in a release here today.

Under the offer, the company will also provide a daily talk-time credit of Rs 4 for 90 days, thus a total talk-time of Rs 360 (6 times that of the recharge value). The additional talk-time can also be used to make local calls and send SMS to any network, it said.

The double talk-time offer is available on every recharge till March 31 for both existing and new customers. Moreover, all the company’s new connections will come with lifetime validity at a nominal charge.

Its existing GSM customers can avail of the scheme on every recharge with a special tariff voucher of Rs 26.

RCom has also introduced an SMS pack of Rs 32 targeting the youth, which will offers 500 local SMSes free-of-cost.

“We have received tremendous customer response for our GSM service since its launch in January. By offering lifetime validity, lucrative benefits and other gamut of services, we are fulfilling customers’ expectation of a delightful communication experience. We will continue to explore new opportunities to provide our Reliance Mobile customers with unparalleled network quality, customised tariff plans, constant innovations and best in class services,” RCom Regional Head (West) Dinesh Gulati said.

However, the existing operators are playing a waiting game. When contacted, an Idea Cellular spokesperson said, “We will only launch schemes depending on the market demand, and if there is a need to reduce tariffs, we will take a call on it.” A Vodafone-Essar official also mirrored the sentiment, while analysts were skeptical whether other companies will follow suit.

Thumbs up!

This is a good move by a new GSM player and this may start a new price-war in the Indian Telecom Domain ....

I am waiting for MNP which may trigger massive tariff offers, schemes for subscribers....lets keep our fingers crossed for the 2009 hopefully.

:)

call rates are still same, 1 rs per min. for local calls, & 1.50 rs for std calls. they r just giving double talk time on every recharge.

Thats right, I'm still charged the same rate even though I've charged it with Rs.26

Is it only for new customers? I am still charged Re.1 for locals.

You will be charged Re1 and Rs1.50 only, due to the double talktime, the effective local charge will be 50p when compared to other operators.. but the DTT can only be used for local calls. so they are wrong saying the effective STD charge will be 75p..

I think they should allow atleast on net std calls with dtt.

There is no reduction,instead of launching a special tariff voucher(STV) for reducing STD and local rates which costs Rs 79 monthly or Rs 550 lifetime in CDMA service ,so your total saving is this amount only. They are attracting customer with double talktime.They may launch special tariff voucher after 31 March once this offer closes, depending upon local (STV)vouchers available with other service providers.

^^^

As usual RCOM is only hoodwinking people by its complicated tariffs structure and cheap gimmicks. They will never learn to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Hope with the Valentine's day near, they will now learn to KISS or they will MISS the boat.

STD rates are not covered under the new tariffs as savramesh has already pointed out rightly. One saves only on the STV voucher cost really speaking, nothing much. But then on the other side - you will have top put up with call drops, and network unavailable at many places etc etc. SO it evens out. You get double TT an you get only half the calls through. Enjoy RGSM like never before and never ever again...(because there are many other operators in the line, maybe only atleast 6 months or 12 months away)

has any1 recharged with 26?

after 26 rcv did you get the 10/per day scheme?

some dealers say that after recharge of 26 you will not get the benefit of Rs10/day.....

Pl reply....

I am getting Rs5 per day as usual even after recharging 26 life time validity..

I am using rgsm in delhi since 2nd feb without any problem either of call drop or of network busy. all my calls get through. yes signals are weak at places but even when the signal bar is one there is no voice cracking unlike other operators.

It mean we have to spend Rs26 , and after 31st March the scheme died and call rate increase to Rs1

Lu kar lu duniya mutthe me for a month , what is this , SMS pack is flop , even Reliance CDMA gives 1000sms for Rs25.

Messaged to vodafone is not going

Ya sachinerock , this is same with me even after one bar , i can make call and receive call

Well it is due to advance equipment. plus a very good startegy to deploy base station

In Chandigarh i am very impressed with rel GSM coverage amazing network , no call drop, Signal strength is below -70dbm at house and below -60dbm at open places. One thing more , ny friend is a engineer at Reliance , He said Reliance needs lot of BTS becoze of 1800Mhz frequency band , this is costly affairs but one thing is good spectrum efficiency increased . So that why Reliance install new tower instead of existing CDMA

I asked about Reliance equipment , He said it is mixed of Huwai and Alcatel-lucast . he said new equipment consume less power. So this mean low cost of operation , Another is all edge enabled , I asked him about EVDO , he said we are ready to do so , we need to replace existing plate to a new EVDO enabled plate , but we can not do so due to Gov Restriction, after Auction , We will in position to give you EVDO data services within 2 months

I hope they offer something like lifetime jaadu pack soon. i am sure it will be a big hit and will attract a lot of customers from other operators.

^^^

EVDO within 2 months..Lolz.

Reliance will ask for HSDPA or EVDO ??

They are advertising 3G Ready GSM Network though.

ohh man , i was talking to my brother on cdma front , so Evdo

ya HSDPA is ready on most of BTS , but await spectrum ,

I am wonder there has been 5 months since spectrum is given to *** hole BSNL , and still no sign of it, Feb is going , when will they bring 3G . This Gov ****s on 3G front we lost precautioas time , most of countries has 3G , Even Pakistan has EVDO in most of area , we are looser really. Very shame on this Gov , totally Failed in Telecoms

@ @mitj@in,

Probably what he actually meant was 2 months from the date of receiving licence for EVDO, not 2 months from today....And see the status of BSNL - they got the permission as early as October and 4 months down the line, no news as such. The fate of 3G in our country needs no further anticipation and discussion at all. The ways things are panning out, it will not come for another 2 years at least.

^^^ Oh, Sorry.

Let wait and watch, what happens next.

EVDO comes or not.

Though some are claiming that EVDO shall come in March.

EV DO is the cheapest 3G will be available whenever auction done. because it is working on 800MHz frequency of existing cdma 2000 1X . so it is the cheapest 3G. on the other hand GSM 3G is entirely new thing , it is working on WCDMA in 2.1GHz band or above. so telecos need new bts , hence costly reliance if got spectrum in each circle will be lucky in both CDMA and GSM ,