Reliance Partial Behavior

Reliance develops Rworld applications basically for LG handsets  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Reliance develops Rworld applications basically for LG handsets

• yes
    • no
    • cant say

most of applications work oonly on LG

Maybe its becoz LG has been a pioneer working wit RIM for R-World since its inception. Thts the same with Samsung as well. All the later ones haven't still got it right... Maybe they need somemore time!

Remember, LG has a larger population in the RIM world..

Also they were the first to be introduced with RIM ;)

it works just fine on my samsung 563 & my old samsung 191.... if i remember correctly voice ringtones dont work on the LG b/w model so HAH!

Yes I agree,

theres this application in r-world call quiz , its available in LG2030 (i used to use that b4) , but its not available in my Samsung SCH 563 !!

and tht quiz application is fantastic !!!

i used to play tht everyday ....

if i remember correctly voice ringtones dont work on the LG b/w model so HAH!

That's simply because the model doesn't support it.

A few days ago I upgraded from LG 2030 to GTran GCP-4020. Before upgrading I checked the website relianceinfo.com, confirmed from webworld and also from *333 that GTran supports Rworld applications only exception was voice ring tones. Now when I am using GTran I found that many of applications of Rworld are not available on GTran. MMS is available but the inbox of MMS doesnot open. Even complaining to chairman office has been of no use.

Therefore I feel not only feel but strongly believe that Reliance has cheated me.

Similar scenario is applicable for Nokia handsets.

It’s amazing to find that Reliance is failing to provide ICICI mobile banking on Rworld for GTran handsets but the bill payment using ICICI bank account is available on GTran much before its launch.

I was able to see this bill payment option last week about 3rd September but this has been enlisted in RNews today.

When they are providing bill payment option they should also provide ICICI mobile banking on GTran.

RWORD FREE TILL FURTHER NOTICE

Rworld free after Sept 2004

StaticElectricity Sep 11 2004, 12:13 AM

sorry to say, but of now LG does have the best support for JAVA MIDlets

Sorry StaticElectricity I can’t agree with you. :wacko:

GTran features enlist following:

Java Virtual Machine (Sun Microsystems)

A. CLDC 1.0a (compatible with v. 1.0.3

B. MIDP 1.03 for Midlet

;) I don’t know the full form as well as meaning of terms CLDC, MIDP.

As far as Java is concerned it neither belongs to LG nor Reliance.

Reliance has many times provided Rworld software upgradtion for LG but why not for GTran. :'(

Today I got a call from chairman’s office. While discussing the problems related to Rworld on GTran the lady agreed that all the applications are available on LG 2030 as this was the only handset from the beginning of Rworld services.

Thus, Reliance admitted its partial behavior. If they are not able to provide all facilities on new handsets then why are they introducing new ones?

In other words we can say Reliance has failed to upgrade the Rworld and is continuing with old technology.

In other words we can say Reliance has failed to upgrade the Rworld and is continuing with old technology.

Maybe they are in the process of upgrading..

As the populatiion in GTRAN in low ;) it might not be given top priority..

So might take time :P

Maybe they are in the process of upgrading..

As the populatiion in GTRAN in low  it might not be given top priority..

So might take time 

2 months are sufficient to start MMS. users of LG 5130 and camera phones of LG and samsung are less than GTran

Are yaar koi hum GTran walo ki fariyad Reliance tak phuncha do

hey saurav,its better to think in this way that there are 80% LG handsets and 0.1% gtran handsets.so may be reliance have done that :)

The perception is partially correct.

All apps are expected to be developed and tested on all handsets.. but dev cannot keep pace with new handsets rolling out or in progress..

moreover, each handset has different versions of binaries which compounds the problems also....

As a baseline, Samsungs are painful for data but great for sounds and rconnect... while LG s**ks in multimedia but good for data

As far as i know, JAVA is known for its platform independence. Then how come the point of developing applications specific to handsets come from? One JAVA application can run on different platforms. You just need an interpreter for that platform. Maybe some techie person like code should throw some light on this.

Correct me if i m wrong. I don't know much avout JAVA for mobiles.

now hutch provides similar services on Nokia handsets. they hv enlisted the model number of compatible handsets and same services are available on all models irrespaective of model number. why is reliance cheating us first it says rworld compatible then after ur purchase tells not compatible for certain applications

Saurav While I am neither from reliance nor have anything against Gtran users this is my honest opinion.

In simple terms although Java is platform independent the apps written using it may not be so due to diff specifictions of each h/s.

Lets say a splash screen bitmap was designed for 7130 and is allowed to be displayed on 5130(smaller screen). If the mobile were to be a desktop the image would have been partially displayed - but on your mobile due to very limited memory/graphic resources it will simply crash the app.

Similarly the way message boxes are displayed differ from model to model {some don't have the required API(5130) at all and programmer has to look for an alternative means (custom dialog) to inform the user of something)} Furthermore some software versions have a bug to make these non-modal although it should have been modal thereby allowing the code execution to continuel without awaiting user input causing undesirable actions/app crach (7130 seems to have one such bug).

I haven't touched upon anything bout Gtran in my aboev example as I don't have one - but I guess the same scenario holds true.

Finally if someone asks - "but 5130 already has midlets designed for it so fast??". Reason could be large® the number of sets they sold/planning to sell. Furthermore as far as R-World is free they may not have enough motivation to spend time on h/s which are in small numbers. (unless some one really forces them to do so)

Code you are very active member of this forum, you have always participated in discussions favoring and against Reliance. So there is no question of thinking you as representative of Reliance or GTran.

I fully agree with your views supported with good techie knowledge. But in opinion Reliance has cheated me incase of RWORLD. I can justify this for GTran handset. In features of handset it has been mentioned that it is Rworld compatible. Further it’s written that voice ring tones are not available on GTran. So this implies all other applications will be available on GTran. But its not true.

We customers are suffering due to other customers. Many of the applications are not available on various handsets and most of the people don’t complain. This was used by CEO office as justification for non availability of certain applications on GTran.

True - If no one complains then they would never bother about & take customers for granted. Saurav wish U all the best in your efforts