Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
KumaarShah

Airtel's New "fair Usage Policy" Policy

Following is the email I received from broadbandforum.in

Hi All,

As some of you may know, Airtel is introducing / has introduced a new policy called the "Fair Usage Policy" (details are sketchy) that seeks to curb the amount you download using 'unlimited' internet plans. What they are trying to get away with is saying that people are using too much of the internet and thus they need to curb your downloads / speeds, rather than upgrade their own infrastructure and equipment.

In an nutshell, what it means is that if you have an unlimited plan that is, say, 512kbps in speed, after a certain cap they will halve your speed to 256kbps for the rest of the month, while charging you the same amount that they have been charging you till now for 512kbps for the whole month!!! Essentially they are giving you less (up to 45% less) service but for the same price!!! And the cap can be reached in as quick as 5-6 days if you are a heavy user.

While you may feel that this only affects 'heavy downloaders,' it's an important issue for all to consider as it sets a very dangerous precedent for telecom companies to start implementing all sorts of policies. The day may not be very far (in fact many internet activists around the world say it's quite near) where the ISPs will control not only your speeds and download abilities, but will control what information you can access, thereby completely destroying what made the internet what it is today - a level playing field. This is popularly known as the issue of net neutrality, which gained considerable importance in the 2008 U.S. Presidential elections (which hopefully and thankfully ended with the selection of a candidate who is for net neutrality and against allowing giant telecom companies railroad consumers in order for profit). And if you think 'downloading' is important only for people downloading pirated movies, music etc. I urge you to read this page, which describes in brief the variety of legitimate applications that are out there which would be significantly stunted with the implementation of these policies. If you are not on Airtel, don't worry - If Airtel implements this policy, your ISP will follow (soon), which is why this petition is open to all.

The internet today is the single most important tool for all the essentials of modern life - communication, education, business, politics etc. etc., and I urge you to not take this matter lightly.

A few of us have started an online petition in protest, which we will be sending to Mr. Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chairman & Managing Director, Bharti Airtel Ltd. after we obtain a significant number of signatures. You can find the petition here. Please do read the petition as well as the other information that is on the site, make up your own mind, and sign it if you agree with it.

http://afup.broadbandforum.in/

Please do use a valid e-mail address (which will be kept confidential) as you will need to confirm your signature for it to be counted. After signing you will get an e-mail, which is highly likely to be wrongly sent to your SPAM folder. Please check there if it doesn't come in your inbox, and click on the link therein to confirm your signature.

We would appreciate it if you can (BCC) forward this e-mail to others who care about the future of the Internet in India.

Our thanks in advance.

Supporters of net neutrality in India

So Airtel has also caught on with RCOM by imitating "Fair Usage Policy".....

I will surely sign, though I am not airtel BB user. But they can do this in any service.

I have signed the petition and I am also a Airtel BB user...

I have already signed the petition, eventhough I am not Airtel BB user

I am on 2222 plan, I also got similar mail by couriour.

They were refering to some threshold value, but did not mentioned what is that value.

They should learn from what happed in US. When the ISP's there tried to restrict the bandwidth.

These companies somehow think of rediculous ways of avoiding upgrading their infrastructure.

Having this plan is as good as having a machine gun and allowed to fire 1 bullet/min :Equivocado:

signed the petition.

Edited by ss_rakesh

they want us to travel in BUFFALO CART on nationalized four way Highways after traveling in BENZ a certain distance..

So Airtel has also caught on with RCOM by imitating "Fair Usage Policy".....

RCOM is having a Fair usage policy? :Ohhhh: I didn't know it. Where can I get the details?

^ But RCOM doesn't have any Fair usage for Broadband. :)

signed... it would be disastrous if this goes through... hoping it doesnt !

Edited by Dj

Signed....!

@ srk,I meant the mobile fair usage policy. Rcom is the pioneer in this afaik. Correct me if i am wrong....

Done!!

Name: Sadik

Mumbai Pacenet 512 unlimited

Comments: If u limit bandwith u limit india GDP. This is what u said in ur own interview with money control Mr Mittal. come on let india grow. its high time. In USA they getting 12 MBps in same price of 512 here.

signed

me2 signed yesterday

Signed

signed

I'm completely outraged about this stupid FUP. To show my anger, this is what I've done.

I've sent a mail to the following,

sbm@bharti.com (Sunil Mittal, Chairman), ceo.direct@bharti.com, manoj.kohli@bharti.com (CEO, Bharti Airtel), atul.bindal@bharti.com (CEO, Bharti Telemedia, the subsidiary that offers broadband services)

The content of the mail is here - I blogged about it, so that others may know too.

http://itwofs.com/beastoftraal/2009/03/02/421/

If someone asks you how this FUP is really affecting anyone, use this example to clear all doubts.

http://itwofs.com/beastoftraal/2009/03/03/...tion-explained/

And, here's what Airtel's Speed Rationalization *really* means!

http://itwofs.com/beastoftraal/2009/03/04/...ationalization/

Spread the word - Airtel better not get their success to their heads. Collectively we can bring them down to a level they deserve.

I don't know if there is any active community for airtel the way we have for reliance. Rimweb.in has succeeded once (atleast I believe ) in compelling reliance to go back on decision. I am sure airtel can be pressurized if community (mainly users) do so.

Airtel is trying to act too smart here!! It was hungry for a customer base.. reeled them in with their already expensive unlimited plans.. now they want to bring down their infrastructure costs.... this is crap!!!

Signed though I am not Airtel Customer.

Signed though I WAS a customer of Airtel mobile, not bb. Happy not any more suffering with Airtel :GirandoOjos:

not an airtel user but signed

here in UK, they have fair usage policy for all the unlimited plans - for calls, internet, sms. So Indian telcos are just following their international counterparts..

signing the petition is good idea, bt i think we shd also complaint to DoT and Govt Consumer Redressal forum as we all had done for Reliance.