Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
jaypee

Samsung W299 - phone book transfer/retrieval problem

I bought a new Samsung dual SIM handset (CDMA & GSM) W299 and it is good.

I lost my earlier handset Nokia 6275 :NOTriste: and i have done phonebook upload (to reliance server) 1-2 weeks before i lost my handset.

I am not able to download phonebook into my new handset since this is not bought from Reliance and when i checked with Reliance customer care, they mentioned that new handset doesn't support phonebook upload/download

Could someone help - is there any wayout for me to get all my contacts into my new handset.

Thanks

rather than uploading ur phonebook on reliance server u should have taken a backup of ur phonebook on ur pc. 6275 supports pc sync.

now what u can try is to borrow a nokia 6275 or any other cdma phone from ur friends, try to download all ur contacts from rel server to ur handset. take backup of the phonebook on ur pc & then try to transfer all numbers on ur new handset.

hai jaypee ....

is it samsung 2ON ?

wats the price ?

and from where did u bought

any spec available ?

hey does anyone else have the same samsung W299

i just bought it and i am CONFUSED to say the least

it got too many key stokes to get anyhting done .....

or am i a dinosaur in this age of touch phones

what is the cost of this handset ?

rather than uploading ur phonebook on reliance server u should have taken a backup of ur phonebook on ur pc. 6275 supports pc sync.

now what u can try is to borrow a nokia 6275 or any other cdma phone from ur friends, try to download all ur contacts from rel server to ur handset. take backup of the phonebook on ur pc & then try to transfer all numbers on ur new handset.

^^^ I guess its little incomplete..

1) First ask your friend to take his own back-up on R-World or if youll have a Data Cable, do PC Sync.

(FYI.. when i tried it once, it only uploaded, downloading kept giving errors. So warn him before hand with R-World)

2) Since both have numbers on RUIMs, its gonna be very easy.. after his Data is fully uploaded/copied, delete his full contacts as space will not be enough & contacts will get mixed up (Only 500 contacts in 6275).

3) Now insert your RUIM & download the phonebook from RWorld. (Hope it happens well)

4) Transfer it either to PC or use the "Move contacts" option to move it to your RUIM.

5) Turn by turn, copy this to your W299 phone. & keep clearing the RUIM for the next set.

6) Remaining is self explanatory..

Note: While doing transfer to RUIM card, the contacts break-up & the same name might appear 4 times if it has diff contact info like mobile, fax, office, email etc.

hai jaypee ....is it samsung 2ON ?wats the price ?

and from where did u bought

any spec available ?

No its not Samsung 2On.

I tried looking up http://www.samsungcdma.in/ but no info on W299.

Yes Samsung W299 Is the Best DualSIM Handset I have seen considering the price.

I Am using it since 1 month. Bought in a week of its launch.

It is A BAR Model. Similarly like their Slider. All the features are same.

1000x5 Phonebook, 500CDMA/ 500GSM Sms Memory. + Your Sim Memories

Very good PCSYNC with their software.

It is a Touchscreen phone.

Actually its got a very easy interface (OS) once u know where the things are. Plus it is very customizable.

Its got 8GB expandable memory support. Dialing from CDMA or GSM is very easy. Plus one can decide which card will be your main card. (for speed-dial purpose only)

CONS :

its speaker may not be as loud as a chinese handset. just about ok.

and lastly it cannot hold a GSM call when somebody dials on CDMA and vice versa.

you can answer the other call though, but first one gets disconnected. which was not the case with my earlier chinese handset.

No information available on any of samsung websites.

COST: MRP 16999/- & I bought it for 12500/- all inclusive from a samsung shop.

All in all a good handset to buy and a descent price.

thanks

Amit

can anybody plz tell me the website which tells abt samsung w299....there is no information abt this when i searched google........

Yes Samsung W299 Is the Best DualSIM Handset I have seen considering the price.

I Am using it since 1 month. Bought in a week of its launch.

It is A BAR Model. Similarly like their Slider. All the features are same.

1000x5 Phonebook, 500CDMA/ 500GSM Sms Memory. + Your Sim Memories

Very good PCSYNC with their software.

It is a Touchscreen phone.

Actually its got a very easy interface (OS) once u know where the things are. Plus it is very customizable.

Its got 8GB expandable memory support. Dialing from CDMA or GSM is very easy. Plus one can decide which card will be your main card. (for speed-dial purpose only)

CONS :

its speaker may not be as loud as a chinese handset. just about ok.

and lastly it cannot hold a GSM call when somebody dials on CDMA and vice versa.

you can answer the other call though, but first one gets disconnected. which was not the case with my earlier chinese handset.

No information available on any of samsung websites.

COST: MRP 16999/- & I bought it for 12500/- all inclusive from a samsung shop.

All in all a good handset to buy and a descent price.

thanks

Amit

hi amit...

i am really really amazed to find someone who is veryyyy happy with this handset...

i bought is about 20 days back & i regret my decision every day since then...

i also bought it for roughly 13K...

i also liked the touch & feel of this phone...looked really cool...dual cdma as well as gsm...touch screen as well as key pad...

i have been facing some problems...can you please let me know whether you too face any of these...& if you have got these fixed, how...

initially the WAP browser didnt work...there were network issues...got that 1 fixed, but still for most of the websites, it shows insufficient memory...cricinfo etc dont work...

there is a software bug related to music player & FM...when we are listening to them, we can't go back to the main menu or to the message inbox or to any other damn menu in the phone...if we press the return button, the music player/fm switches off...

i dont think i have ever seen a phone which doesnt allow music to be played in the background...

i had a 6265 before this...it allowed...i bought a new mpower309 for my sis, it has messaging option given in the music player options...

under the "exciting samsung" menu, there is "file viewer" option...it always shows memory empty...be it phone memory or external memory...(& the stupid shopkeeper says, "yeh to aisa hi hota hai"...i was like y d hell has samsung given this option of it doesn't have to work)

the phone hangs a lot...especially it there are 3-4 missed calls & you view them after half an hour or so...

you keep pressing all the buttons after unlocking d phone & there is no response...

phone switches off a lot...any damn thing if done quickly with this phone, it switches off...

unlock the phone -> menu -> wap browser (enter) & its gone...the phone switches off

unlock the phone -> menu -> camera -> capture (enter) & its gone...the phone switches off

unlock the phone -> menu -> messages -> text messages (enter) & its gone...again the phone switches off

i can't understand whats d problem wid this phone...

while typing a long message using the keypad, after some typing it automatically show "copy/paste" menu & all of a sudden leaves the write message menu, goes to the main screen & there is no sign of the message you just wrote...not even saved in drafts or left as it is in the write message option...in nokia phones i know d message is left as it is...

i am seriously bugged up with this phone...

on top of this, there is no information related to this phone on the internet...not on samsung websites...no place...

if you do a google search, you find pages in chinesse or korean...have to translate it though google & read a few lines regarding the phone...but on those pages also not much has been given...

i dont know whether this phone has been even built for indian market...

please anyone who has this handset help me out...atleast let me know if you are facing any of the above problems even if you can't provide any solution...

hoping for some replies...

regards,

anu_savy2003

hi amit...

i am really really amazed to find someone who is veryyyy happy with this handset...

i bought is about 20 days back & i regret my decision every day since then...

i also bought it for roughly 13K...

Price does vary from city to city shop to shop.. But again I would still say it is a best dualsim phone cdma / GSM ..other than chinese..

i also liked the touch & feel of this phone...looked really cool...dual cdma as well as gsm...touch screen as well as key pad...

i have been facing some problems...can you please let me know whether you too face any of these...& if you have got these fixed, how...

initially the WAP browser didnt work...there were network issues...got that 1 fixed, but still for most of the websites, it shows insufficient memory...cricinfo etc dont work...

No problems with the WAP Browser.. that u mentioned...

there is a software bug related to music player & FM...when we are listening to them, we can't go back to the main menu or to the message inbox or to any other damn menu in the phone...if we press the return button, the music player/fm switches off...

i dont think i have ever seen a phone which doesnt allow music to be played in the background...

i had a 6265 before this...it allowed...i bought a new mpower309 for my sis, it has messaging option given in the music player options...

Well Yes it doesnt allow to play in background. even my earlier chinese mobile played music in background.

But you can continue the music if u have paused first and then press back menu. anyway a function missing u can say.

under the "exciting samsung" menu, there is "file viewer" option...it always shows memory empty...be it phone memory or external memory...(& the stupid shopkeeper says, "yeh to aisa hi hota hai"...i was like y d hell has samsung given this option of it doesn't have to work)

the phone hangs a lot...especially it there are 3-4 missed calls & you view them after half an hour or so...

you keep pressing all the buttons after unlocking d phone & there is no response...

phone switches off a lot...any damn thing if done quickly with this phone, it switches off...

unlock the phone -> menu -> wap browser (enter) & its gone...the phone switches off

unlock the phone -> menu -> camera -> capture (enter) & its gone...the phone switches off

unlock the phone -> menu -> messages -> text messages (enter) & its gone...again the phone switches off

i can't understand whats d problem wid this phone...

while typing a long message using the keypad, after some typing it automatically show "copy/paste" menu & all of a sudden leaves the write message menu, goes to the main screen & there is no sign of the message you just wrote...not even saved in drafts or left as it is in the write message option...in nokia phones i know d message is left as it is...

Well ALL the above doesnt happen with me at all ever. My phone has not automatically switched off without my permission :GirandoOjos: till date.

I think there is a problem with your handset and should immediately take it to your samsung service shop and get it repaired/ replaced coz it is in the warrenty. you can take this printout to show it doesnt happen to other ppl. Frankly i am not aware about samsung service as yet. hope it is good unlike nokia.

I have had a very bad experience with them as do many ppl

i am seriously bugged up with this phone...

on top of this, there is no information related to this phone on the internet...not on samsung websites...no place...

Yes i have already mentioned it in the earlier post. since it is a new model there is no info on any website of samsung worldwide or India.

but it is no excuse for a big company like samsung who spend lacs and crs on website it self.

if you do a google search, you find pages in chinesse or korean...have to translate it though google & read a few lines regarding the phone...but on those pages also not much has been given...

i dont know whether this phone has been even built for indian market...

please anyone who has this handset help me out...atleast let me know if you are facing any of the above problems even if you can't provide any solution...

hoping for some replies...

Hope u got what u needed

regards,

anu_savy2003

thanks

amit

Price does vary from city to city shop to shop.. But again I would still say it is a best dualsim phone cdma / GSM ..other than chinese..

No problems with the WAP Browser.. that u mentioned...

Well Yes it doesnt allow to play in background. even my earlier chinese mobile played music in background.

But you can continue the music if u have paused first and then press back menu. anyway a function missing u can say.

Well ALL the above doesnt happen with me at all ever. My phone has not automatically switched off without my permission :GirandoOjos: till date.

I think there is a problem with your handset and should immediately take it to your samsung service shop and get it repaired/ replaced coz it is in the warrenty. you can take this printout to show it doesnt happen to other ppl. Frankly i am not aware about samsung service as yet. hope it is good unlike nokia.

I have had a very bad experience with them as do many ppl

Yes i have already mentioned it in the earlier post. since it is a new model there is no info on any website of samsung worldwide or India.

but it is no excuse for a big company like samsung who spend lacs and crs on website it self.

Hope u got what u needed

thanks

amit

hi amit...thanks for your response...

i visited samsung service center yesterday...they said most of the problems might be because of some software problem...they will update the software in my handset today...i hope these bugs get fixed...coz my mind is really going bonkers because of these issues...

the music player & fm thing they said that were not a feature of this handset...so this will continue to exist...luckily the phone goes into power saver mode otherwise the battery would have been drained...

ya by d way hows d battery life of your cell? my standby time is quite good...but when used (calls made or msgs sent, it drains quite quickly)

will reply back after i get my set fixed & tested :)

thanks again

regards,

anu_savy2003

hi amit...

i got my phone fixed up...presently its not showing much problems...even though it hung yesterday while browsing the net...rest things are quite okiesh...

i needed just a bit of help from you...

can you tell me the version of the software that is installed in your w299..."settings->version"

2ndly what does the "file viewer" under "exciting samsung" show when it is opened...

wat sort of files are supported...coz the samsung person told me that its used for viewing ms office files...not others...i thought it was like a file browser for browsing the files on the memory card or on the phone memory...

i guess u r also not a reliance user...if not & hopefully a tata customer...does tatazone work on your cell...

i inserted a reliance card, rzone was working perfectly...but even the samsung ppl could not fix this tatazone problem...

i wonder wats d prob...

waiting for your response...thanks in adv

regards,

anu_savy2003

Sombody pls upload a pic of the phone plssssssss

trying to add pics of this phone...

ceqO26QjBL9OY.jpg

samsung_w299_090212_04.jpg

samSCHW299.jpg

samsung_w299_090212_01.jpg

W299.jpg

ceFVlzoYRqcsk.jpg

hi amit...

i got my phone fixed up...presently its not showing much problems...even though it hung yesterday while browsing the net...rest things are quite okiesh...

can you tell me the version of the software that is installed in your w299..."settings->version"

2ndly what does the "file viewer" under "exciting samsung" show when it is opened...

wat sort of files are supported...coz the samsung person told me that its used for viewing ms office files...not others...i thought it was like a file browser for browsing the files on the memory card or on the phone memory...

i guess u r also not a reliance user...if not & hopefully a tata customer...does tatazone work on your cell...

i inserted a reliance card, rzone was working perfectly...but even the samsung ppl could not fix this tatazone problem...

i wonder wats d prob...

regards,

anu_savy2003

Hi,

I had perched the handset 20 days back & next day its shows CDMA network problem & its get reset again & again. I have visited the service center & they have loaded new available softer version & till my problem was not solved. After that service engineer told me to change my sim card even it was ok with all other handsets. I have changed the sim & now its working good form last 15 days.

Its very cool /best handset in CDMA/GSM option.

Software version >>>>

PLR:00010

S:W299.CB05

H:W299.08

GSM:SW.CA02

hi amit...

i wonder wats d prob...

regards,

anu_savy2003

..... change my sim card even it was ok with all other handsets. I have changed the sim & now its working good form last 15 days.

Software version >>>>

OK Now i am scared.. 2ppl with the problem of resetting or hanging of phone!! anyway

both of you have now got their phone fixed means the service part seems ok.

well i have exactly the same version as ak3 has mentioned.

and sad part for you anu is i AM a reliance customer and hence my rzone works as u mentioned.

I have still not figured out how to use the WAP of the GSM card. is there some setting?

GUYS STILL SAMSUNG HAS NOT UPDATED THEIR WEBSITE. RUDE SHOCK!! :Equivocado::Equivocado:

well the file viewer supports only viewing of doc xls and powerpnt files.

& not the newer 2007 i think.

correcting my earlier post the micro SD support is upto 4GB and not 8GB.

thanks

Amit

hi amit...

regards,

anu_savy2003

Software version >>>>

OK Now i am scared.. 2ppl with the problem of resetting or hanging of phone!! anyway

both of you have now got their phone fixed means the service part seems ok.

GUYS STILL SAMSUNG HAS NOT UPDATED THEIR WEBSITE. RUDE SHOCK!! :Equivocado::Equivocado:

thanks

Amit

hi amit & ak3ak3...

thanks for your replies...

my s/w version is similar except the PRL part...mine is PRL:00009...the two of you have 00010...

my problems about hanging still persist man...m sick & tired of this handset...

the person from whom i bought this handset also asked me to change my sim card...but i dont think thats gonna solve the problem for wap browser etc...coz i inserted another tata sim card which is just 6 months old & in that also the wap browser hung & switched off the phone...

GOD bless you amit that you are not having such problems...touch wood...

the service center person said that you can't use WAP thru GSM...its possible only with CDMA card...

have any of you guys tried to connect to the internet via this handset on your pc???

i mean that samsung pc studio has that option...

i tried doing that, but wasn't able to connect...there was no activity after i clicked the "internet connections" or something like that tab...

i guess from this experience i've learnt that 1 shud always buy a handset which is not a brand new release & has been reviewed by many people...

it feels like we are testing organisms in a biology lab...rather in a nazi concentration camp...

good luck to those who buy this piece...

regards,

anu_savy2003

I lost my earlier handset Nokia 6275 :NOTriste: and i have done phonebook upload (to reliance server) 1-2 weeks before i lost my handset.

I am not able to download phonebook into my new handset since this is not bought from Reliance and when i checked with Reliance customer care, they mentioned that new handset doesn't support phonebook upload/download

Could someone help - is there any wayout for me to get all my contacts into my new handset.

Thanks

If you had the contacts in your system in VCF format i could help. its quite simple

Dear Mods,

Please merge this thread with another thread runing by name "Samsung Duos Touch W299".

I got a link to the phone's specifications.

http://www.mobileisgood.com/phone_spec.php...ufacturer_id=45

Its quite impressive but it lacks EvDO.

I got a link to a manual but its in Chinese but some pictures in the manual would be helpful.

http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instruct...SAMSUNG/W299-_B

:signthankspin::signthankspin: Thank you Anuragz & ACS for the suggestion. :signthankspin::signthankspin:

I took help from our company IT person and he also did the same as suggested by you

i paid 12200 for the same in Vashi (Navi Mumbai)

I was on vacation & hence couldn't revert to you immediately

Thanks

JP

software update available for this handset...

in the cdma s/w version CC31...

hope it helps...

regards,

anu_savy2003

HI JP,

In vashi which shop you purchased this handset on this price pls let me know ASAP.

:signthankspin::signthankspin: Thank you Anuragz & ACS for the suggestion. :signthankspin::signthankspin:

I took help from our company IT person and he also did the same as suggested by you

Thanks

JP

Thanks

JP

Hi JP,

I am from Kurla (Mumbai), and want to purchase Samsung w299. pls tell me from where u had brought this handset for Rs. 12200. i m searching for cdma+gsm handset and i feel w299 is best option considering price.