Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Reliance Communications To Rope In Hrithik As Brand Ambassador

Press Trust of India

New Delhi May 29, 2009, 17:18 IST

Anil Ambani-led Reliance Communications is planning to launch a Rs 150-crore advertising campaign for its nation-wide GSM services and is believed to be on the verge of signing Bollywood star Hrithik Roshan as its brand ambassador.

According to sources, Reliance Communications is planning a Rs 150-crore media campaign for its GSM services featuring its new brand ambassador, Hrithik Roshan.

Sources said the company is in the final stages of signing an endorsement deal with Hrithik, who would be the official face for the company’s mobile, data and DTH businesses.

When contacted, the company spokesperson declined to comment.

The three-year deal with Hrithik is believed to be worth over Rs five crore annually and excludes the fees payable for appearances and events, sources said adding the overall deal could touch Rs 10 crore annually. The new campaign is expected to be on air in the first week of June.

This is Reliance Communications' first advertising campaign for its GSM service, which was launched on commercial basis in January 2009 and has since then added over 13 million subscribers. The company is targeting 100 million subscriber base (GSM and CDMA) by the end of this fiscal.

The Bollywood hunk, the brand new face of this leading Indian network, urges fans and subscribers of the service provider to never leave anything unsaid or undone... “Just pick up the phone, don’t wait... go for it!” is Hrithik’s powerful and heartfelt message in a new commercial.

Proud to be associated with a brand “that has constantly redefined how India communicates” and because he truly “believes in everything that it stands for,” Hrithik added, “when was the last time you felt like making that one call just to say a Hi, or a Thank-you, or Sorry? But you held back? The more you thought about whether to act or not, the more you hesitated, and then the moment was gone. This is my chance to tell the world to leave behind hesitations. To make that call. To connect. To go for it.”

Sanjay Behl, Group Head, Brand and Marketing, Reliance Communications said, “Today if over 350 million Indians connect on a mobile phone, it is because Reliance dreamed it to be possible. The addition of world class 3G ready GSM network to our already strong CDMA network is set to redefine the face of Indian telecommunications. Our omnipresent network ensures that you can act at the speed of thought. Wherever you maybe, whenever it may be.”

They have started showing advs for RGSM, i just saw an Hrithick Roshan adv in Asianet...

good move ...

from the starting time, there was no Brand AMBDR for RCOm

Bad Advertisement..

He calls & hangs up in such style as if he's doing a favour to the world..

Besides.. whats the meassge ?

No talk on GSM Network here ?

^^^

yes i agree, poor creativity, no meaning..

my vote goes to vodafone for good advertisement creativity..

Hrithik roped in for Reliance Communications

Oneindia.in Entertainment

Monday, June 1, 2009

It is learnt from reliable sources that Hrithik Roshan has been signed as the brand ambassador by Reliance Communications.

Buzz up!Our sources reveal, “Hrithik will be the official face for the company’s mobile, data and DTH businesses. His new promotional campaign for the products is currently being shot in Bangkok and this new campaign is expected to break on air by beginning of June 2009. The new Reliance Mobile TV commercials with Hrithik Roshan will comprise of a series of 6-8 films capturing Hrithik using Reliance Mobile, which is considered India’s No 1 network.”

Sources further reveal, “RCOM zeroed in on Hrithik Roshan, as he not only has a pan-India appeal but an iconic stature amongst today’s youth.”

The company’s official speaking on condition of anonymity informed that RCOM believes Hrithik is a perfect brand-fit for Reliance Mobile as he stands for everything that Reliance as a brand epitomizes.

adv in today's dinakaran tamil news paper..

post-25387-1244101521_thumb.jpg

Let them sign in Hrithik Roshan or SRK, I dont care, as long as they provide good service in terms of network quality.

In my opinion brand ambassadors dont mean much. They are there just for the initial push and after a certain period of time, the sucess of the product would depend on the quality rather than who the brand ambassador was.

RCOM GSM has a lot of catching up to do with other established GSM players as well as its own CDMA network.

Lets wait and see how this works out!!!!!!

^

for cdma advts ,reliance was mentioning the same now a days...but there is such identification here for GSM ... how does reliance expects people to know abt gsm service..just doubtfull

Why reliance missed to start gsm in a new brand name ? or they have any intention in using the same name ?

@ravi,

AFAIK and from what I saw on TV, at the end of thread, there is a mention of Reliance GSM also.

Just because Tata uses a different branding for their GSM services, it does not mean that tata will outperform Reliance and also the same is applicable vice versa also.

If Reliance is able to drive home the point to the customers that they are offering on both the CDMA and the GSM platforms, that would be the defining factor. I agree with you that as of now their advts are not self explanatory.

Lets wait and see how Tata deals with multiple branding. I definitely agree with you that Reliance has a lot to do on the marketing front to drive home the point to the customers else it would lead to a confusion.

I agree that the advts mentions RELIANCE GSM. But from what I have observed, CDMA and GSM are still jargons for most of the mobile users.

Even now when the word RELIANCE is used, immediately people think about buying a new handset. I have observed that the easiest way to explain to people is that "Reliance is now offering mobile services which can be accessed on ordinary Nokia Phones". I find that people understand only when i tell them the above line.

Reliance must device an advt which helps them bifurcate the services in terms of technology and drive home the point to the consumers.

Edited by vvinayakpai

Reliance GSM has started commercial advt. but still not uploaded their website with details regarding Postpaid services...

AFAIK and from what I saw on TV, at the end of thread, there is a mention of Reliance GSM also.

RGSM advs will reach many people only when they clearly say 'reliance gsm sim can be used in any mobile phone just like airtel/vodafone/bsnl sims', i still meet people who thinks reliance means we cannot change handset.. they should show the adv based on this message..

Reliance GSM has started commercial advt. but still not uploaded their website with details regarding Postpaid services...

reliance is fast in launching, but slow in service & support :)

Edited by savramesh

Reliance Communications takes a call on the Zoozoo challenge

Business Standard - Mumbai - June 18, 2009, 0:37 IST

Anil Ambani-controlled Reliance Communications is borrowing a concept from the Charlie Chaplin classic The Great Dictator. Just as Chaplin dances with a globe in the film, RCom's forthcoming advertising campaign will shows five animated characters dancing with a globe.

The similarity doesn’t end there. In The Great Dictator, Chaplin is spoofing Adolf Hitler's wild ambitions to conquer the world. In its ad campaign slated for launch next week, RCom is taking on Vodafone-Essar’s engaging and hugely popular Zoozoos

Being developed by Delhi-based RocketScience, the characters — five of them representing the five network bars on a mobile phone — are yet to be given a name. Right now, they're being referred to as "humanised network bars".

But much like the Zoozoos, these "humanised network bars" will communicate the strength of the company’s network through five-second spot advertisements, they added.

The company’s brief to the agency was to make network bars the brand’s identity and a medium of communicating with its customers, a RocketScience source said.

RCom is making seven short films to be aired across various TV channels beginning next week. The campaign, which also includes an online viral, will run for two weeks.

In one of the advertisements, four of the humanised characters are lifting the fifth and threatening to drop him on the ground. The tagline says: ‘Our network never fails’. Another one has all the five dancing around India’s map, mentioning its “coverage across 20,000 towns and 500,000 villages”.

Asked about the impending campaign, a Reliance Mobile spokesperson declined to comment.

RCom will spend around Rs 150 crore (the amount includes the GSM campaign featuring Hrithik Roshan launched a fortnight ago) over a 60-day period. RCom will also extend its humanised characters to sell its portfolio of value-added brand, just as Vodafone did with Zoozoos. Going a step further, RCom will create jokes around its humanised characters that will be available over SMS and e-mail.

Ad gurus generally have a good take on spoofs. “If done well in good taste and humour, spoof ads are considered flattery, indicating that the idea has been appreciated. It works well for the brand because it creates excitement — but again, this depends on the brand. I am personally not against spoofs,” said Prasoon Joshi, executive chairman, McCann Worldgroup India, and regional creative director, McCann Asia .

K V Sridhar (known as “Pops”), national creative director, Leo Burnett, added that spoofs by challenger brands taking on market leaders are usually well received by customers.

“For instance, Pepsi’s spoof -'Nothing Official About It’ - was received well. Likewise, when Jet Airways had announced a change — Kingfisher came up with an ad saying ‘We Have Not Changed’.

“If the brand’s personality is fun, and it’s not the market leader, it can take on the larger brand, it’s enjoyable. But if the market leader takes on smaller brands it’s usually not enjoyable.

It’s like a family; the younger brother can take potshots at the older one, but the older one taking a potshot at his younger sibling is considered bad,” he said.