Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Build A Full Fledge Core2duo Windows 7 Pc For Sub 25k

With Inputs from Technical PC magazines -

Windows 7 RC1 is RELEASED and is freely downloadable till 31st June 2009 - so HURRY... you just need a hotmail account and download from here - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx (you get a genuine product key et al). Windows 7 is a worthy successor to Windows XP and most XP users will now finally take the plunge...

Now, my PC configuration -

- Intel Pentium E5200 Processor, 2.5GHz, 2MB shared cache, 45nm process, just 65 watts power consumption - Rs. 3,500/-

- Intel G31 Motherboard - I choose Asus P5K-PL-AM/PS motherboard, because its BUILT FOR INDIA, with Anti Surge (power fluctuation protection), Parallel Port, Serial Port, 2 DIMM (max 4GB DDR2 1066/800/6667 MHz), - http://in.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&...amp;modelmenu=1 - Rs. 2,500/-

- 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Kingston - Rs. 1,300/-

- 320 GB HDD Seagate - Rs. 2,500/-

- Entry Level Nvidia GeForce 9400GT/ATI Radeon HD 4350 with 512MB DDR2 Video Card - Rs. 2,500/-

- LG 20x SATA DVD writer - Rs. 1000/-

- VIP branded Cabinet with Standard 400W power supply - Rs. 1,500/-

- Samsung Syncmaster 2033SW 20 inch LCD monitor, wide, with both VGA and DVI - Rs. 8,000/-

- Basic Microsoft Keyboard-Mouse desktop combo - Rs. 500/-

- Creative SBS 245 Speakers - Rs. 600/-

- WINDOWS 7 Ultimate RC1 (better than Vista Ultimate) - FREEEEEEE...

Total Rs. 23,900/- ......

NOW BEAT THAT...

I used Windows 7RC1 for 10 days and then reverted back to Windows Vista.

We need to wait for Retail Windows 7 Final Version.

@ Dhiraj Kaile

thanks, i have started downloading windows 7..

Is there any difference between dual core and core2duo processor ?

Edited by savramesh

^

Yes, there is difference of more than double in processor speed and performance (however I am currently running my system on Dual Core, 945 chipset, 2GB Ram, 3 HDD (250GBx2+500GBx1 and no graphic card - still aero is running fine)

Experience so far -

I have downloaded and installed on My XP Machine as Dual Boot and I can tell you the interface is fantastic, a la vista but with better control and compatibility. All my prehistoric DOS programs are running. I didnt have to enter a single driver cd for my 3 printers (including one prehistoric HP Laserjet 5P) or my HP scanner. All were detected and installed automatically. I can choose whether to by default boot into XP or W7. The sharpness of the screen has somehow increased (donno why), music sounds better, videos play sharper and crisper. I have been able to add all computers to my home network (4 of them on XP including my office) in a jiffy and transfer files between them. I installed free AVG anti virus, firefox 3.0.10, office xp, autocad, coreldraw, nero....

so far so good... more coming...

Edited by dkaile

^^^

thanks for cost break-up, i was on my way to buy a cpu for my friend. i compared the cost, they are almost same except for asus which is 2900, for that i will bargain with them..

Intel processor 3400

AMD processor 3100

Intel motherboard 3350

Asus motherboard 2900

Ram 1 GB-750, 2 GB-1250

Hard disk 80 GB-1950, 160 GB-2200, 320 GB-2450

Video card 2550

Cabinet 1250

Edited by savramesh

Please ensure that the Asus motherboard is Asus P5K-PL-AM/PS i.e. PS in the end, because only that has parallel and serial port etc.... Rest I would suggest u invest slightly more and go for Cooler Master Cabinet and power supply i.e. about 2K more in total cost.

Edited by dkaile

Cheers for Dkaile....

Very well described and very nicely explained.

Thanx a ton.

Keep rocking the rimweb....This makes us the proud member over here.

Please ensure that the Asus motherboard is Asus P5K-PL-AM/PS i.e. PS in the end, because only that has parallel port etc....

will confirm that..

Day 2 -

Mates, its a full fledged operating system with NO SHORTCUTS, so dont be wary about installing and use it free for a year. Rock Solid performance, no hiccups, no reboots; I will shortly be also installing qpst and cdma worksop etc. to check whether it can support our programming softwares too...

Yesterday installed - AutoCad 2010, AutoCAD 2000, CorelDraw 9, CorelDraw 12, Office XP, Photoshop 7, Tally, Bitcomet, UTorrent, AVG Free, Firefox, IE8 (default), VLC Player 0.9, Dos (default), Adobe Reader 8, WinZip, WinRar, Skype, GTalk etc. more coming...

I am sure Windows & will be much better after Vista fiasco. Microsoft always has this problem, their alternate version of Windows is usable. After 3.1 Win 98 was best, then came ME was pathatic and XP turn out to be good. Now after vista I am sure Windows 7 will be usable.

Irritating download through their download manager Addon. it was 54% in the morning and when resumed it went back to 33% and reached 43%, now its again starting from 0%.

Any other possible way to download ??

^

Strange; its download manager creates an icon on the desktop whereas if your download stops for any reason, you just have to click that icon and it is restarted from the same point; After download completes that icon is deleted automatically; The iso file you will get is directly burnt onto a dvd by nero;

Use Firefox to download; I was able to download in one night flat on my Airtel BB 333Kbps connection; Refresh your cookies;

^^^

Yes i used that desktop icon only to resume downlaod... will try in fireox..

Loaded both CDMA Workshop and QPST; Both are working perfectly, Read my phone and uploaded prl... AFAIK this did not work properly with Vista... Hoorrah...

@dkalie

CAn you please courier me DVD of win 7? I am trying to download how much ever I try, it stops in between. I would like to try. Please.

^^^

did u try using torrents

there must be torrents for win 7

click here for torrents 32bit and 64 bit win 7 versions..

click here for more torrent search results for win 7

Edited by savramesh

@kshah - check ur email

@savramesh - there have been reports of a trojan on the pirated versions of windows 7 loaded on torrents as reported by the security company Damballa. Maybe Microsoft has put it there itself... lol... but I am surprised to note the problem of downloading from microsoft site; maybe the rush has increased; But pls ensure you get the product key directly from microsoft so that there are no activation problems, which you have to do so within 30 days. I activated immediately without any problems. I could have uploaded but the file is too big (2.36GB). And its not possible for me to send dvd to every member. But I can make an exception in ur case. u can send me your address if u so wish and i will send u the dvd.

^^^

will try direct download only, so far 18% completed :)

Edited by savramesh

This month's Digit Magazine has Windows 7 ISO in of its DVD..

So u can buy that. The magazine costs Rs.200(only this month as it is its 8th anniversary)

^

That would be great for people facing download problems; Just ensure u get your product key from Microsoft directly after registering through your hotmail a/c so that there are no activation problems. Good info Shashank...

I had downloaded whole ISO on 6th May 2009 in Just 2:30 Hrs by Reliance NetConnect Broadband+ HSD EVDO :D

But I didnt like Windows 7, Dont know why,

I installed Windows 7 in my Acer Aspire One with 1GB Ram,

Installation completed in sharply 16 minutes from starting till end.

And Booting and Shut Down time, processing time are also less compared to Vista and XP.

Still, Waiting for Final Retail Version.

Some components are not available in 7 - Windows Mail and Windows Movie Maker, that needs to be downloaded from Live site seperately.

Edited by @mitJ@in

^

I dont use Windows mail and neither Windows Movie Maker (most of us dont) as much better 3rd party programs are available, and its not a big job downloading them separately, in any case. I dont see much difference in this Build 7100 from any complete version and I feel it is a complete OS; And I dont see any reason why we cannot use this FREE Software for full 1 year (its supposed to be operational till 30th Aug 2010 even after 31st Mar'10, though with 2hr reboots); so why not experiment with this FREE RELEASE..... At least its a good experience for me upgrading from XP which was not the case with Vista in which I had downgraded back within 7 days and I have not felt the need to dual boot into XP since the upgrade...

Day 3 - Fully stable, no problems encountered...

Windows XP is still the best among all, and it will rule for next 3-4 years more.