Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Build A Full Fledge Core2duo Windows 7 Pc For Sub 25k

lol man, u thinking of latest in processor and antique of os..... if u want quad core think w7.... if u still want tried and tested xp, dont go for quad core... go for something cheaper and save money..... btw, quad core will work with xp, though wont realise its full potential, so I wont advice....

What difference does cache make?

Its a smaller and faster memory, will speed up the PC

Is Quad Core supported by XP?

Yes.. but vista and windows7 are better at utilizing multi-core processors than XP

@dkaile

thanks a lot sir... i had never used rss feeds ever.. n i'm using it for d first time today, thanks to u...running ibn live now

My dear friends, so far I got only 2 Crashes on my Windows 7. It seems that Windows 7 is really stable.

And below is my Desktop. :)

mydesktopvo.jpg

@honest

Dekho Kamal Bhai, Yeh sab good wishes to theek hai.. aur ho sakta aapko aur forum members ko mera yeh comment thoda insensitive lage, par Stop Crying Like a cry baby... If God has given you Kidney Failure, face it like a man... If he gives you a Heart Attack, suffer it with full vigour... Life is too short to ask Bhole Shankar for shortcuts... Aur vaise bhi aajkal ki insensitive duniya me jyada jee kar kya karna hai... so jitni zindagi bachi hai, haste haste jiyo...

Oh Dhiraj Kaile bhai !

Well said , I am a surgeon ,I see a lots of patient dying with minor injuries and also lots are saved with multiple system, severe injuries and diseases. SO sahi hai bhai, jo jo jab jab hona hai, hoga, so keep smiling and help all till you are here on mother Earth. All the best wishes to forum members.

I happened to see this thread just now.

I have an old PC of 2004. It is 2.4 GHz P4, 80GB HDD. It is having W2K Professional.

Please dont laugh but.. it has 256MB DDR RAM.

The motherboard is Mercury motherboard. I dont know whether it will accept DDR2 or not. Can anybody throw some light on it ? I want to upgrade it to 2GB. If DDR2 will not fit, I need to find DDR.

Recently it has got some virus problem. It is poping an error message every now and then for explorer.exe. I tried several things but it seems some virus problem.

I am thinking of installing either XP or Windows7. What you guys suggest ?

However, I dont have W7. And I think now the free trial download is not available. Can anybody help me here ?

Edited by MOBILE FAN

Free downloads of W7 have stopped. but u may be able to get a key still. BUT W7 will not work under any circumstances on ur configuration. It does not proceed below 512MB Ram and is not advisable below 1GB in any ways; 80GB HDD is also too low and I dont think u will be having a dvd drive to read the w7 dvd in any case. I see no sense also in upgrading just ur ram in such a scenario. I will suggest that either u upgrade ur system (will cost abt 10k for new MB, Processor, Ram etc. etc.) or reformat and reinstall XP/2000 and pull it along for another few months.... but ur system is at its death bed and its best to let it go.... lol... no pun intended...I can give u W7 dvd but only if u upgrade ur system; u will be able to get a key from microsoft (otherwise i will give u one)... all free except postage...

Edited by dkaile

It does not proceed below 512MB Ram and is not advisable below 1MB in any ways;

Err...I think Dkaile meant 1GB...

^

Yup, corrected...

Humm... Seems good advise.

But I am ready to upgrade to 2GB RAM. Provided DDR2 should go on Mercury motherboard or I should be able to get DDR. However, you are also saying that 80GB will not be sufficient. So what is the space requirement for W7 ?

You are right, I dont have DVD, but cant I run the installer from USB drive ?

^

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

so even on 80GB u can install, but u will have very little space for anything else. Keys are available from Microsoft till March 2010; so u only need the dvd; that is also downloadable at many sites like http://techblissonli...oad-windows7rc/ or http://www.windows7download.com/win7-windows-7/bzcdfrnu.html ; Regarding RAM only u can tell whether ur motherboard is compatible or not; Yes, it can be installed from usb drive also; search on google and find the links... few links are - http://technet.micro...e/dd535816.aspx http://www.intowindo...-working-guide/

Edited by dkaile

I called up a local vendor here. As per him, DDR2 will not go on Mercury. He told me the price of DDR - 1GB RS. 1725. DDR has max. 1GB stick. So if I have to upgrade to 2GB, I hv to buy 2 sticks costing 3450.

So, I thought of changing motherboard too. That comes to - Rs.2500 for new MB + Rs.1300 for DDR2 1GB = Rs. 3800. Spending Rs.450 more, compare to adding 2GB of DDR, my PC gets new lease of life. But I guess, on new motherboard I would need new processor too. I cannot run P4 processor on it, can I ?

If the OS requirement is 16GB, I think I can still go for it because I dont have much to load on it. Only my 6 yr daughter and my wife uses it to watch movies and surf the net. I have a laptop.

But I dont know if my PC is having - "DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver" - how to find that ?

^

All new motherboards onboard graphics are compatible with it; so if u upgrade MB, u will have it... also try to get a MB which supports ur existing Processor Most mid level boards are compatible with older P4 processors), ur local vendor will guide u for it i.e. which type of socket is ur old processor whether 775 or etc.etc.

the asus mb model P5KPL-AM/PS i had suggested in the beginning - http://in.asus.com/p...507&modelmenu=1

does support P4 processor -

LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Quad / Core™2 Duo / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron E1000 Series and Celeron 400 Series Processors, Support Intel next generation 45nm CPU,Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ready; Supports Enhanced Intel SpeedStep ®Technology(EIST) Socket 775 for Intel® Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Quad / Core™2 Duo / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D / Celeron® Processors

Compatible with Intel® 05B/05A/06 processors

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ready

Edited by dkaile

Hi,

Reviving this thread after 3 years.

I can sell my old PC for 7k. So would like to know what would be the cost now, if I assemble a new PC.

Requirement is simple. Most of the use is to surf web and play games. But I need some processing power as my daughter would require it once she moves to middle school.

I would like to know what configuration I should look for and what would be the cost.

Plz. help.

What was your old machine configuration?

Check the combo deal from primeabgb, you will get the idea

http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=441&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4710&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Also will suggest to go for good SMPS and cabinet

^

The 2004 PC is a P3, 1.2 GD DDR RAM, 80 GB HDD, 14" CRT Monitor.

Thanks for the link. It would really help to understand the current market,

Windows 8 is not following the trend of being more resource hogging than previous versions. In fact, it's so light it can run on netbooks, extending the useful life of my Lenovo s10 netbook. Now it flies.

http://www.engadget....cpu-1gb-of-ram/

Preview available for download. Full version available from Oct 26, (along with release of tegra 3 tablet, supposedly at less than nexus 7 price, with keyboard dock!)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/microsoft-surface-199/

Edited by angeleyes

Internet Explore 10 is very FAST on windows 8, but I could'nt access history. Loaded Chrome Beta and got history, plus ALL my bookmarks and passwords!