Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Genius

My Health Tips

Please give some Pre and Post workout meals.....should we consume protein rich shake before / after the workout?

Raghav

i am not very good in advising on diets still i shall make some points to you:

diet on a workout session can be of 3 types,

#1 Pre workout

barbecue_is_like_chocolate_for_men-460x307.jpg

This is some filling that will need your immediate requirement of glucose supply - depending on what you plan to do

most ideal is to take combination of short acting and long acting carbohydrate any thing with sugar like jelly beans can be short acting and some thing like fiber biscuits or pre workout shakes snack bar can be long acting

this combination will sustain you for a while in your session if you plan some long runs then go for jelly beans (commercial) for continues supply of energy

#2 During workout

4e4ae28a09145.image.jpg

as you work out you loose Water and salts - you need to replenish this so best is to take commercial sports drink like Gletorade or Leukozard.

you can make your own by adding Honey in a bottle or Lime water with pinch of salt and sugar

take regular small sips

#3 Post workout

a-telco-alena-nikiforova-10.jpg

the body has lost water salt and it has broken lot of muscle so now you need to supply them

i would say any protein of any form is good best is Egg go for it as after workout meal, is you are pro then opt for commercial shakes with creatin and all.

to decrease soreness have plenty of water, caffeine, chocolate.....

My all time fav is Milk (human if you have sufficient regular supply)

it has nearly all thats required for good body ....... make it 2 glasses daily

whdiet-meta-13.jpg

...............Any thing else?

• Like 2

genius sir,

i used to do muscle building and stopped because of my studies

and from then my body started increased in size and weight like someone is blowing air, how would i get into better shape slim and fit, dont want any more muscles now,i just want to loose some weight and get into a better shape, i hope dieting will not help in my case,what kinda exercises will help me,

and forgot to mention, that my 2+ packs is now a family pack :doh::censored3::nerves:

Please give some Pre and Post workout meals.....should we consume protein rich shake before / after the workout?

Raghav

i am not very good in advising on diets still i shall make some points to you:

diet on a workout session can be of 3 types,

#1 Pre workout

barbecue_is_like_chocolate_for_men-460x307.jpg

This is some filling that will need your immediate requirement of glucose supply - depending on what you plan to do

most ideal is to take combination of short acting and long acting carbohydrate any thing with sugar like jelly beans can be short acting and some thing like fiber biscuits or pre workout shakes snack bar can be long acting

this combination will sustain you for a while in your session if you plan some long runs then go for jelly beans (commercial) for continues supply of energy

#2 During workout

4e4ae28a09145.image.jpg

as you work out you loose Water and salts - you need to replenish this so best is to take commercial sports drink like Gletorade or Leukozard.

you can make your own by adding Honey in a bottle or Lime water with pinch of salt and sugar

take regular small sips

#3 Post workout

a-telco-alena-nikiforova-10.jpg

the body has lost water salt and it has broken lot of muscle so now you need to supply them

i would say any protein of any form is good best is Egg go for it as after workout meal, is you are pro then opt for commercial shakes with creatin and all.

to decrease soreness have plenty of water, caffeine, chocolate.....

My all time fav is Milk (human if you have sufficient regular supply)

it has nearly all thats required for good body ....... make it 2 glasses daily

whdiet-meta-13.jpg

...............Any thing else?

Thank you Genius Sir,

Firstly for this Super thread and also for the reply...I understood from your info what type of nutrients our body needs to get before and after workout.

I still request you to give some more example meals for pre/post workouts.

I was almost below 70kg a year and half ago but my present weight was 86kg, I am planning to do only cardio for 2 hours ( morning 1 hour evening 1 hour) strictly for 1-2 months wihtout any weights and then move on to workouts in later part or shall i combine cardio with weights to loose weight? Which one would be better? MY primary motto was to loose only FAT not quite bothered about weight. I lost my shape completely and my waist line increased from 32 to 36( 35 to be exact). Please advice me .

Great piece of advice Daaktar Babu. +1 :)

@raghav.cn

Dear Raghav, don't you think that Doctor Sahab deserve atleast one +1 from you for his detailed post ?

Friends, do appreciate fellow members by giving reputation points (+1), if you found a helpful / useful post from them. Its just a matter of 2 seconds. :)

@Chacha Ji

Merey liye kaunsa dhoodh achha rahega ? Some time ago my family physician told me that I don't need Full Cream Milk (Pasturised Milk) because I'm already overweight and full cream milk will do more harm then benefit. She advised me to consume only Toned milk. What say ?

@ Shadow and Raghav

you will find the fat loss guide early in the thread - follow that

2 hours is a huge time 40 min to one hr of proper training is enough for a fat loss regime - you go for HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts-

just google it you will find many - best is opt for Tabata

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

20 sec very high work out with 10 sec rest total 8 rounds - will do miracles

for muscle building forget it if you are not pro - go for functional training instead - just google it,

join a class for added benefits

aerobics.jpg

@ Honest Daddu

Full milk has a good combination of Fat + carbohydrate + Protein

but you don't need Fat so its processed to remove it and then you get carb + Protein only

i don't think you are drinking more than 2 glass a day so you can have whole milk also as its not going to affect much

if you want to cut FAt cut on oil - milk is a natural good source and can be consumed.......

• Like 2

^^^

Dhanyawaad Daagdar. :)

By the way, I mostly have only 1 glass of milk a day. Waise mujhe dhoodh se jyaada uski MALAAI pasand hai. :P

Great piece of advice Daaktar Babu. +1 :)

@raghav.cn

Dear Raghav, don't you think that Doctor Sahab deserve atleast one +1 from you for his detailed post ?

Friends, do appreciate fellow members by giving reputation points (+1), if you found a helpful / useful post from them. Its just a matter of 2 seconds. :)

@Chacha Ji

Merey liye kaunsa dhoodh achha rahega ? Some time ago my family physician told me that I don't need Full Cream Milk (Pasturised Milk) because I'm already overweight and full cream milk will do more harm then benefit. She advised me to consume only Toned milk. What say ?

yea ofcourse perfect...........given that +1 to doctor sir :SI:

What Killed Ranjan Das, A Fitness Freak At 42 And Critical Importance of Good Sleep For Your Health

Few months ago, many of us heard that Ranjan Das, CEO and MD of SAP Indian subcontinent died after a massive cardiac arrest. One of the youngest CEOs, he was just 42 year old. He was very active in sports, was a fitness freak and a marathon runner. It was common to see him run on Bandra's Carter Road . Just after Diwali, on 21st Oct, he returned home from his gym after a workout, collapsed with a massive heart attack and died.

It was certainly a wake-up call for corporate India . However, it was even more disastrous for runners amongst us. Since Ranjan was an avid marathoner ( in Feb 09, he ran Chennai Marathon at the same time some of us were running Pondicherry Marathon 180 km away ), the question came as to why an exceptionally active, athletic person succumb to heart attack at 42 years of age.

Was it the stress?

While Ranjan had mentioned that he faced a lot of stress, that is a common element in most of our lives. We used to think that by being fit, one can conquer the bad effects of stress.

The Real Reason However, everyone missed out a small line in the reports that Ranjan used to make do with 4-5 hours of sleep. This is an earlier interview of Ranjan on NDTV in the program. Well-known cardiologist on the subject of 'Heart Disease caused by Lack of Sleep' have distilled the key points below in the hope it will save some of our lives.

Some Excerpts:

Short sleep duration ( <5 or 5-6 hours ) increased risk for high BP by 350% to 500% compared to those who slept longer than 6 hours per night.

Young people ( 25-49 years of age ) are twice as likely to get high BP if they sleep less.

Individuals who slept less than 5 hours a night had a 3-fold increased risk of heart attacks.

Complete and partial lack of sleep increased the blood concentrations of High sensitivity C-Reactive Protein (hs-cRP), the strongest predictor of heart attacks. Even after getting adequate sleep later, the levels stayed high!!

Just one night of sleep loss increases very toxic substances in body such as Interleukin-6 (IL! -6), Tumour Necrosis Factor-Alpha (TNF-alpha) and C-reactive protein (cRP). They increase risks of many medical conditions, including cancer, arthritis and heart disease.

Sleeping for <=5 hours per night leads to 39% increase in heart disease. Sleeping for <=6 hours per night leads to 18% increase in heart disease.

Ideal Sleep

In brief, sleep is composed of two stages: REM ( Rapid Eye Movement ) and non-REM. The former helps in mental consolidation while the latter helps in physical repair and rebuilding. During the night, you alternate between REM and non-REM stages 4-5 times.

The earlier part of sleep is mostly non-REM. During that period, your pituitary gland releases growth hormones that repair your body. The latter part of sleep is more and more REM type.

For us to be mentally alert during the day, the latter part of sleep is more important. No wonder when you wake up with an alarm clock after 5-6 hours of sleep, you are mentally irritable throughout the day (lack of REM sleep). And if you have slept for less than 5 hours, your body is in a complete physical mess ( lack of non-REM sleep ), you are tired throughout the day, moving like a zombie and your immunity is way down.

Finally, as long-distance runners, you need an hour of extra sleep to repair the running related damage.

In conclusion:

Barring stress control, Ranjan Das did everything right: eating proper food, exercising ( marathoning! ), maintaining proper weight. But he missed getting proper and adequate sleep, minimum 7 hours. In our opinion, that killed him.

If you are not getting enough sleep ( 7 hours ), you are playing with fire, even if you have low stress.

Unfortunately, Ranjan Das is not alone when it comes to missing sleep. Many of us are doing exactly the same, perhaps out of ignorance.

• Like 6

Rajan babu

Thanks for excellent information.

@ Rajan kaka thats a good article - 20 days before i had read an article of how much sleep is required and how to calculate it, i was looking for that but could find it again - however i found 2 similar one i am listing it below. I too get very less sleep on a average 5.30 hours to 6.3 daily not more and some time less. i too need to work on my habit, the thing it i sleep on time but get up early.

http://www.wikihow.com/Know-How-Much-Sleep-You-Need

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

girls-sleeping.jpg

• Like 1

Alongwith quantum of sleep, quality of sleep is equally important.

Most of us in today's modern age also don't get the second part right.

The thing is when we go to sleep, we don't De-Activate ourselves fully. (At the brain level).

Till the last moment before going to sleep, we are doing some activity (browsing, other things) which keeps the brain fully engaged. There is no cooling off period.

As the most powerful machine ever invented, brain is working at full throttle all the time till the last moment before we go to sleep.

Like a Quad Core processor firing on all cores OR a nuclear missile which is fully armed OR a car parked with engine on.

Obviously there is much wear and tear.

I have in the past tried the concept of Yoga Nidra. There are various CD's available from different brands and people.

The process takes about 20-25 minutes and dis engages the body and brain fully before one goes to sleep.

The quality of sleep after this method is amazing and one notices perceptible difference.

However could not continue it for want of time.

• Like 1

Thanks Chacha Ji for the links. +1 :)

No matter when I sleep at night, I make it sure that I take minimum sleep of 8 hours. Till now I'm on regular good 8 hours sleeping habbit. :)

Aagey ka raam he rakhey hai bhai log.

Hello guys my weight is 90kg,height is 6'1 & age is 28.I want to know ideal weight for me at this age?

In last 3 months i have lost more than 10kgs by walking a lot.Previously i used to weight around 105kg.

Allthough i have lost weight a lot but the stomach fat has not got down much as i expected & it does not looks good at all.Plz help me how to lose stomach fat,what daily food intake should i have & what should my ideal weight?

Edited by ashish_1985

Plz help me how to lose stomach fat,what daily food intake should i have & what should my ideal weight?

Bhai Ashish Jai Hind

First of all weight is not much of a criteria for fitness as most of the weight can be because of bone and not actual fat so try forgetting it and if you want to know something then know your BMI which can be calculated in various free online sites and for specific Asian population you can see it below:

http://aadi.joslin.org/content/bmi-calculator

you have a BMI of 26.1 which is Obese

And keeping you in mind i have listed Special STOMACH FAT LOSS special in my first page, just a advice before posting in any thread in any forum do read 1st and last page you will find your answer there most times.

link for you

i would like to know the best way to reduce abdomen fat.

NOw get going

absbw_2.jpg

so i started exercising in feb , i was 70 kg and according to my bmi i was overweight

i lost 3 kgs in a months whcih was awesome.

Then i became busy and stopped.

Started gyming again from 12th may.

I was 67.8 kg.

I have stopped eating sweet dish completely and also stopped eating cheese. Eat less of rice and more of rotis.

I do tread mill for 15 mins on burn calorie setting.

then i do cross trainer for 10 mins on burn calories settings.

I burn about 250 kcals in total in these two.

then i do 5kg dumbles, a few sets.

I also do 3-4 machines (sorry i dont know there names) each with 20 kg weights.

started doing push ups ( i dont do it regularly.. should i do it regularly?)

but the main problem is that i seem to have hit a wall at 67kg. it's 4th june and i'm not losing weight at all.

What should i do? how should i change my routine?

btw, i have a useless trainer so i need your help guys

Hello guys my weight is 90kg

Bhai Ashish apka weight toh hamare Doctor Chacha se 2 kilo kamm hai. Our Chacha ji's weight is 92 approximately. :winko:

FatDoctor.gif

• Like 1

Plz help me how to lose stomach fat,what daily food intake should i have & what should my ideal weight?

Bhai Ashish Jai Hind

First of all weight is not much of a criteria for fitness as most of the weight can be because of bone and not actual fat so try forgetting it and if you want to know something then know your BMI which can be calculated in various free online sites and for specific Asian population you can see it below:

http://aadi.joslin.o.../bmi-calculator

you have a BMI of 26.1 which is Obese

And keeping you in mind i have listed Special STOMACH FAT LOSS special in my first page, just a advice before posting in any thread in any forum do read 1st and last page you will find your answer there most times.

link for you

i would like to know the best way to reduce abdomen fat.

I have read your first post in past but the thing is i want to know wether i can decrease stomach fat by following any diet rules,having fat free food daily & side by side i continue cardio a lot.Actually its not possible for me to do gym & those pull ups bcoz of hectic schedule.Allthough i walk a lot daily & make it a point that i use staircase whenever i go to someone's office daily.

Edited by ashish_1985

Hello guys my weight is 90kg

Bhai Ashish apka weight toh hamare Doctor Chacha se 2 kilo kamm hai. Our Chacha ji's weight is 92 approximately. :winko:

FatDoctor.gif

kamal bhai my target is to get my weight down to 80-82kg.

I have read your first post in past but the thing is i want to know wether i can decrease stomach fat by following any diet rules,having fat free food daily & side by side i continue cardio a lot.Actually its not possible for me to do gym & those pull ups bcoz of hectic schedule.Allthough i walk a lot daily & make it a point that i use staircase whenever i go to someone's office daily.

OK so you have read my first post now let me explain

FAt loss = More energy spend then consumed keeping your metabolism high

this can be only achieved by regulated diet and exercise - Fat free diet is not recommend as essential faty acid are restricted then - also you will loose vitamin that are fat soluble. Cardio give effect only after 20 min of constant raised heart rate any thing less and it won't thats why you see regular walkers doing 1 hr walking and no effect. you have yo raise your HEart rate not just do cardio.

Its fact that good muscular exercise using weights burns more energy than only cardio so go for combination of them.

fit-girl.jpg

• Like 1

Few days back i read this article on rediff which i would like to share with u all -

Weight loss vs fat loss: Don't confuse the two!

They're not quite the same thing and you need to figure out which takes priority.

People seem to use the terms weight loss and fat loss interchangeably, not understanding the difference between them. It is important, however, that you do understand -- there is a big difference between losing weight and losing fat.

What's the difference? Let's start by defining weight loss and fat loss.

Weight loss is the loss in your body weight -- the sum weight of your bones, muscles, organs, body fat and water in the body.

Fat loss is the loss in your body fat -- the amount of fat your body carries. Healthy goals are 12-20 percent body fat for men and 18-25 percent for women.

Weight is good, not bad; you do not want to lose weight, and more importantly for your health, you do not want to lose muscle. Our weight is made up of tissue, muscle, bone, blood, fat, water, and the rest of our physical bodies.

Muscle, like every other component of our physical make-up, is most important.

And fat is also a necessary, vital part of our physical make-up. Excess fat, however, is bad news and that is what you should focus on -- fat loss.

As you know, a scale measures how much weight you have lost, but it will never tell you where this weight was lost from.

This is where the problem lies. Carbs bind to water. So eating less carbs will make you lose weight (water loss). This is why you lose so much weight on a diet like the Atkins within the first two weeks: it's mostly water.

Of course, increasing your carb intake will make you gain weight again.

On the other hand, you'll gain muscle while losing fat when you get into strength training. But on the weighing scale it will look like you're not making progress: your body-weight doesn't change. Two people with the same height can weigh the same, but look completely different as one has lower body fat than the other. For this reason, a bodybuilder or a large athlete can weigh much more than the average person.

The best way to monitor your progress when embarking on a new diet, is to measure your body fat percentage and your lean body mass. Lean body mass is your weight excluding fat. Lean body mass includes bone, muscle, and other fat-free tissues with the majority of this being muscle.

By measuring these two items, you will be able to determine how much fat you are losing and whether or not you are losing any muscle.

The simplest way to measure your body fat percentage is through skinfold testing. Another method is using a machine, which displays the body fat percentage using the bioelectrical impedance method.

Not only is it healthier for you to lose fat, you will feel better while you're doing it. There is no need for starvation or 'all-liquid' diets. Eating smaller meals more frequently is the key to this process. Starvation diets actually slow down your metabolism in the long run, making it harder for you to keep the weight off.

If you want to lose fat here are a few tips to help you:

• Make vegetables your primary source of carbohydrates.
  • Eat five to six small meals a day, consisting of high protein, moderate carbs, and low-fat.
  • Do cardiovascular workouts at least three or four times a week.
  • Do intense weight-training at least three or four times a week.
  • Eat more raw foods.

Focusing on fat loss will help to ensure that your body looks great and you feel great as well. It will give you the body you truly desire without sacrificing your diet and your health. So stop starving yourself and start starving your fat! The result will be a leaner, healthier you!

http://www.rediff.co...ss/20120529.htm

Edited by ashish_1985
  • Like 2