Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
biosbhai

My Review On Lg Rd2030

LG RD2030 is the first CDMA phone to be introduced in India along

with Samsung N191 by Reliance Infocomm limited.

I took this phone through the Rs.501 offer and has been using it for almost 1 year now.

The phone has most of the characteristics typical of a CDMA mobile.

DISPLAY

----------

Firstly, the phone has a monochrome display. It is not strictly black and white as one can observe some shades of grey on careful observation, especially in the wallpapers.

The display has a blue backlight which is one of the brightest I have ever seen in a phone. This is due to the 3 LED's on each side of the display. From heavy use, the brightness of the LED has reduced a little. LG service centres can replace the backlight, but you can get any choice of backlight color through unofficial channels. Make sure you replace the backlight from a trusted person. You can even replace the default one with the "moonlight" backlight seen in the RD2130 phone. I plan to do that when my backlight conks out. The phone has the option to keep the backlight on for 10 seconds, 30 seconds, always on, or always off. I recommend that you never keep the backlight in "always on" mode. It reduces the life of the backlight (not significantly though).

You can change the contrast of the display with the change occuring instantly when you change the % contrast.

Wallpapers for this phone can be downloaded from R-World. You can also have a typed banner or an analog clock as your phone background. In my opinion, the analog clock is the best thing to put as the background. While using wallpapers, "VIBRATE MODE" or "KEYGUARD" appears on top of the wallpaper when the phone is in these modes. This can be irritating for some.

There is also an option to select between English and Hindi as the display languages.

MENU System and Features

----------------------------------

The menu system is well organized and it is not a pain to configure the phone to our requirements. Most of the submenu's can be easily accessed by using the 4-way centre keys. Adding address book entries is quite easy. One only needs to type the required number and instead of pressing the call button, press the save option and then specify name of the contact. There is option to have multiple numbers for each contact and specify the default number. You can specify Home, Office, Fax, etc for each number and also add an email address for each contact. Finding names in the address book is quite easy and also there is an option to find email addresses.

The phone has a Planner section in the menu which contains a scheduler, an alarm, a calculator and a world clock. Of these I find the alarm to be most useful. The alarm is quite loud and could scare the hell out of a half asleep person. For lazy people, there is a snooze option when the alarm is ringing, which gives you 15 more minutes of sleep time. If you dont wake up at all, the alarm stops automatically and rings again after 15 minutes.

The phone also has a security feature. In the lock mode, you have to type a 4 digit lock code to gain access to the phone. Unlike GSM phones where the SIM gets locked when the wrong code is given many times, this phone keeps on asking for the lock code!! This means any one with the patience to try out 9999 numbers can gain access to your phone! In case you forget your lock code, you can go to an LG service centre and ask the service personnel to unlock your phone. They use proprietary software and some backdoor mechanism to unlock the phone. You can also lock certain address book entries using the lock code. All the address book entries can be erased just by pressing one option in the security menu.

The call history menu gives details about missed, received, and dialled calls (the last 30 of each). Call duration of the last call and all the calls (incoming and outgoing) can also be accessed. There is an option to reset the total call duration. This menu also shows the amount of data transfered using the R-World service.

MESSAGING

---------------

The inbox capacity of this phone is 30 messages. Inbox space warning start coming as soon as the number of messages in inbox exceeds 22. These warnings are quite irritating and always appear while selecting the messsage menu.

The Unsent box and Sent Items box can also store 30 messages each. You can store received messages in the Unsent box using the save option after pressing forward, but the details of the sender is not stored.

You can also store messages in the Sent Items box. To do that first enable "Save sent messages" in message settings. Then to store a message without actually sending it, just press quit when the phone starts to send the message. By this way, you get more message space, but again details of the message sender is not preserved.

If any messages you send do not reach their destination, an exclamation mark appears on the message in the Sent Items box. U can then resend the message. This is possible only if you enable "Save sent messages". If you hadn't enabled that, whatever message you typed gets lost if there is any network error or if the phone is out of range.

In message settings, you can configure the alert type, repeated alert settings. You also have the option of erasing the entire set of messages in each box which can be quite useful.

The message alert tones are quite nice to hear, but it is not loud at all.

This phone does not support group messaging. The abscence of that feature is felt often. T9 input is supported by this phone and all names in the address book are present in the T9 dictionary.

MMS is supported through R-world as a Java applet. Don't expect much. You can send text with monochrome pictures and attach sounds to it also.

RINGTONES

--------------

This phone has very loud polyphonic ringtones. It is possible to download 3 tones from R-World. The quality of the ringtones are not very good compared to samsung, but the loudness is definitely an advantage.

Unofficially, it is also possible to upload ringtones in the phone using a datacable. This is done by accessing the phone using a software called BitPim and then overwriting the tones downloaded from R-world with midi files with size upto 4 KB. You cannot overwrite the default ringtones since they are hardcoded into the phone. I recommend that this procedure be done only by experienced persons. I am not talking about the LG service centre personnel. They won't do this stuff at all. Also I heard such tweaking of the phone is considered illegal by Reliance (not that sure about that).

The vibrate alert feature of this phone is extremely effective. If the phone has been roughly used and dropped a few times, the intensity of the vibrations increases and you can HEAR the vibrations, especially of the phone is in the shirt pocket.

VOICE QUALITY

-------------------

When making a call, the loudness of the phone speaker is very high at its highest setting. People around you in silent areas can easily hear what the other person is saying. So when hearing stuff other people are not supposed to hear, its better to reduce the speaker volume. I have seen many GSM sets with buttons on their sides to change speaker volume. In this mobile, you can change speaker volume on the fly using the up and down keys in the 4 way keypad.

The network reception of this phone is directly dependent on its antenna. You can remove the antenna, but then the range is reduced by half. So its better not to remove it at all. Range quickly reduces inside houses and basements and then speech starts to break up. Also when travelling at high speed, it takes longer to receive and connect calls and the reception starts breaking up easily.

This phone has some features not currently supported by Reliance. These are Clear Voice and Voice Privacy. It is recommended that you set Clear Voice to OFF and Voice Privacy to Standard.

Unlike Nokia phones, the mic is at the bottom of the phone which increases the noise of the phone while speaking. LG doesnt seem to have done a lot of research on mic placement.

LOOKS and BUILD QUALITY

----------------------------------

I must say the phone looks quite average. The silver looks good initially but appears dull after a while. LG should have made this phone available in various colours instead of the white and silver shades. The curvature this phone has is pleasing to me and kinda ergonomic.

We have heard numerous stories of people talking endlessly on this phone, running up high bills and finally throwing it away.

This phone has dropped from my hands 2 or 3 times and still there is no problem with it. The phone gets scratched quite easily though which spoils the exterior. A lot of this scratching occurs when the phone is placed in the desktop charger. LG should have thought more about that. Dont put this phone in the pocket with coins and other stuff which causes scratching. Buy a good plastic cover or laminate the phone if you want it to retain its looks.

The keypad is comfortable spaced out for my large fingers and the phone is also easy to grip in my large hands. But the keyback blackens when used heavily for a long time which makes the phone look very ugly and dirty. This is another reason for using a plastic cover.

Replacement of the panels of this phone is an expensive affair through LG service centres. Inexpensive colored panels of low quality are available through unoffical channels (especially in Mumbai). I havent tried those out as they are not available here in Kerala.

BATTERY AND CHARGING

------------------------------

Like a typical CDMA phone, the battery life is very poor. Under heavy usage, the battery barely lasts 24 hours. The phone really gets hot when using the R-World service for more than half an hour. Watching video clips through R-World significantly reduces the battery charge. Also the 3 LED's on each side of the display contributes to the poor battery life.

The Li-ion battery is quite light and can be charged fully in 3 hours using the LG Desktop charger. Handle the charger with care since replacements are costly. The LED of the charger appears red during charging and becomes green when the phone is fully charged.

<b> If the red light LED of the charger is blinking, then clean the metal contacts of the charger and the phone and the problem is solved. </b> This saves an unnecessary visit to the LG service centre.

Please note that the battery has a special hole where there is a red cross. If water or excessive moisture reaches this red cross, the guarantee of the battery is voided.

If you can't send messages, make calls, or if R-World does not load (even if you don't have any issues with Reliance), switch off the phone, remove the battery, clean the contacts, put in the battery and switch on the phone again. The problem most probably will be solved.

R-CONNECT and DATA TRANSFER

-----------------------------------------

This phone can be used as a modem to get onto the internet by connecting it to the computer using a data cable. I havent used R-Connect. So I cant comment on it.

The datacable can also be used to transfer the address book from the phone to PC and vice versa using software supplied by LG.

The phone's firmware can be upgraded for FREE at LG service centres. I have heard people say that the firmware upgrade increases browsing speed in R-World.

GAMES

--------

The games included with the phone are Mobile Hawk and Black Jack. In Mobile Hawk, you have a helicopter and u have to fire at air and land targets which come at u.

I dont play games cuz it is another battery drain. To reduce battery drain, there is an option to keep the backlight off during gameplay.

Final Note

------------

I heard Reliance no longer supplies this handset. RD2230 and RD2130 are the successors to this venerable phone. If you are trying to get this handset second hand, make sure to check the battery and backlight. Also test the vibrator intensity. If the sound of the vibration is very high, the phone may have been dropped many times.

I hope I have included all the details. Comments are welcome.

Thank you.

Govind

whoa, gr8 post bhai ! :confuse:

Hey bios i appreciate your patience and skill for such a great reveiw

Gr8 Job dude!!

Wish we had such extensive reviews for each phone by now!

Great Job BIOSBHAI...

Small correction RD2030 is now available only with prepaid...

Thank you for the comments.

If you want more handset reviews like this one, give me the handsets so that i can use them and review them ;)

T9 input is supported by this phone and all names in the address book are present in the T9 dictionary.

That's not so biosbhai. The names don't get added into the dictionary automatically.

Apart from it, great review!

When I bought RD 2030 for my father some 9 months back I got a golden coloured phone. I bought this from WebWorld in Trivandrum.

Till now I have not seen this type of RD 2030 with any others.. Has any one else also come across RD 2030 with Golden coloured panel instead of traditional white/silver.

The WebWorld people told me at that time that it is rare to see such panel for RD2030. They even told me that it might have got through by mistake coz on top of the mobile kit it was written that the phone is a silver one.

Anyway the phone looks better and different than the white/silver ones..

Edited by deepu

it is also available in black and gold these r just the panels of mobile and come as accessories by mistake it might have come with the mobile

I have heard that different color panels are available. But to get it directly with a new mobile was what surprised me.

It surprised the webworld ppl too... Yes it might have come by mistake..

I just wanted to know if any one else also had the same experience when they got the new mobile.

Its not a coincidence!

When i bought RD2030, it was also in Golden colour, as u mentioned.

When i asked WW, they told me that the new h/s r coming only in Golden panel.

IN feb 04 i also got handset as you said nothing special.

YO !! biosbhai ....needs a prmotion man !!!!

we should have a section exclusively for phone reviews