Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
SUDYEcaZ

Tata Docomo Launches Pay-per-character Diet-sms

Tata Docomo, the GSM brand of Tata Teleservices, on Tuesday launched a short messaging service (SMS), called Diet-SMS, which enables

customers to pay on a per-character basis. "The cost of any Diet-SMS will be only one paise per character used, thereby providing complete value to customers," Tata Docomo said in a statement.

The company, frontrunner in the pay-per-use business model in the mobile telephony segment, will not charge for space between words. Tata Docomo has launched services in eight telecom circles and a countrywide rollout is expected to be completed this year.

"In all of the eight circles where we have launched our GSM services, we made the promise of introducing path-breaking innovative products and services, and never-before tariff options. Diet-SMS is another way of fulfilling that promise," said Tata Docomo president Deepak Gulati.

"We broke the per-minute pricing paradigm for voice calls when we launched our services. With Diet-SMS, we are doing it again, this time on the SMS front."

• Like 1

This is awesome... I mean the innovation.. I would be happy if you could provide me the source of the news as well..

so 150 character sms costs Rs.1.50? isn't it bad? :confuse:

This plan, i think would not work out well for students/lovers/etc, who message aa lot... But for business people, it w=might work, cause theri messages are short and to the point.. :)

The company will charge just one paisa per character for an SMS up to 15 characters..

so may be this scheme is for characters upto 15 only or may be for sms with > 15 characters they charging normal sms rate

i am a serial messager [as emraan hasmi is serial kisser lolz]

this scheme gets a thumb down....

act each mssg shud cost .01 paise that would be a rocking schme

or the one Reliance had 18000 for rs 180

that was the coolest scheme but dis schme is good 4 ppl who mssg like

"Be Back Later" "Call You later: else the scheme is thumbs down!!!!

Even though I am not using SMS as much nowadays as in the past, I feel this scheme will turn out to be very costly. Although TDCM says they will not charge for space in between words, still the cost will be too high for avid SMS'ers. :unexp:crying.gif:arghhhh:

The company will charge just one paisa per character for an SMS up to 15 characters..

so may be this scheme is for characters upto 15 only or may be for sms with > 15 characters they charging normal sms rate

I doubt if they will adopt the dual pricing scheme as it will overwork their billing systems.

Space is not calculated as a char?

So If I sent an sms with 160 space then will that sms will be FREE?

Excellent!!!!!!!!

After Missed calls we can have Blank sms also..........

In most probability, the network would not send sms without any characters. It might give an error message. This is my guess. Please verify!!!!!!!!

:Sorprendido::Contento::Riendo::grin::rofl_200: Seems Tata Docomo Upari Mala overloaded with 1 paisa.

What type of details will be sent over blank sms :P

Brilliant thought.........

Has ny1 tried this....

N i don't think System wud recognise blank sms........

Same as Miss call. What do u mean by a miss call, same here too :)

good gesture but useless function TATA, anyways best of luck for tryin :Equivocado:

Brilliant thought.........

Has ny1 tried this....

N i don't think System wud recognise blank sms........

I guess Space do count as char....

when u put in space....ur msg char does decrease....

also if i remember correctlytheir is some command in AT command for putting space

its still great marketing:

1 p / sec for voice and

1 p / char for sms

is memorable & innovative

i wish reliance would just copy these ideas

it would actually boost the bottom line if the 15p cap is removed

you would be surprised how many customers who sign up for these plans/tariffs end up paying more!

pay per use is the way to go since customers perceive it as value for money [regardless of the reality].

perception is ALWAYS more important than reality for a majority of subscribers globally.

sales is about getting volumes by discounting but marketing's job is to boost the bottom line by offering innovative services/features.

as an example:

TRAI should encourage off network call fwd as has been the case abroad for over a decade.

then if your phone is off / out of network, the calls can be fwd to any other number.

airtel can fwd calls to MTNL landlines as an example and charges per min for that feature.

in the US, you don't get charged per min for call fwd but a fixed fee per call.

TRAI should encourage off network call fwd as has been the case abroad for over a decade.

then if your phone is off / out of network, the calls can be fwd to any other number.

airtel can fwd calls to MTNL landlines as an example and charges per min for that feature.

in the US, you don't get charged per min for call fwd but a fixed fee per call.

In India off network call forward is available. From my RCDMA I have diverted calls to my Airtel mobile. But Airtel allows only call forward within its network. So it is not problem with TRAI, it is only problem with the operators.

:previous:

Exactly, I agree with above.... I too have forwarded many calls to my BSNL LLs and also to Voda, Airtel, RGSM numbers many times.

I think what city02 meant was probably CF to other circle numbers... This is currently not available anywhere on any operator. Maybe sometimes it could accidentally get activated, but I doubt if calls do get connected to the forwarded number.