Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kshah

Topic You Must Read Before Buying Palm Pre

Palm Pre is a good handset however it has following drawbacks and those who are planning to buy PALM PRE for their use must consider following:

1. Activating palm pre is no easy. This is first and foremost consideration. It takes hours if not days before you can get it activated.

2. It does not support 1X PRL means you have to either live with original sprint PRL or Reliance / TATA EVDO data card PRL, which may create problems - not sure.

3. If any one wish to use or activate USED PALM PRE by MEID method, then there are 80 - 100% chances that your palm pre may brick after MEID / pESN tweaked.

Palm pre is not for people who do not wish to learn and learn and learn new things and weak hearted people who are afraid of phone getting bricked in the process.

• Like 1

^

Yes, Bricking is an integral part of the learning curve.... even the best among us have bricked some device or other at some point of time... sometimes, it is hardware problem, but more often than not it is either mistake in doing the programming process, over-confidence, wrong procedure adopted or plain carelessness.... so its not for the weak-hearted who dont want to learn...

Is this specific to Palm Pre only? What about other newer phones like HTC Touch, HTC Diamond, or n Black Berry models?

1) i have been telling people who have asked me for palm pre to buy new non activated phones , aka virgin palm pre

2) if u have a pre activated phone , still its possible , but u will have to try over and over

3) if ur phone goes offline u need to use only the roms with modem bypass like xxrake

4) u shud never , never hard reset ur phone or upgrade to any official rom , or else ur original meid will be restored and ur phone will go offline

5) palm pre only accepts evdo prl on any network , it wont accept 1X PRL

BUT EVDO PRL WORKS FINE FOR VOICE , SMS AND DATA , INFACT I FEEL ITS BETER THAN 1X INTERNATIONAL ROAMING PRL THAT WE ARE USING

6) i agree with kshah , palm pre is such kind of handset , which shows u new things everyday , so have patience with it , and dont go off limits , or modem will go off permanently

7) ur phone will go offline at some stage even if u r successful , it will go offline

all this is from my own experience after playing with more than half a dozen pre s :)

• Like 1

Please shift the topic to Palm so that everyone can read it.

<< Topic moved to Palm forum with a redirect link in Technical/Programming forum >>

Palm Pre is a good handset however it has following drawbacks and those who are planning to buy PALM PRE for their use must consider following:

1. Activating palm pre is no easy. This is first and foremost consideration. It takes hours if not days before you can get it activated.

2. It does not support 1X PRL means you have to either live with original sprint PRL or Reliance / TATA EVDO data card PRL, which may create problems - not sure.

3. If any one wish to use or activate USED PALM PRE by MEID method, then there are 80 - 100% chances that your palm pre may brick after MEID / pESN tweaked.

Palm pre is not for people who do not wish to learn and learn and learn new things and weak hearted people who are afraid of phone getting bricked in the process.

Dear Kshah!

Nice to see you hack the Pre. I saw some of your posts on PPCgeeks also.

I am considering upgrading from my Treo 700p to Pre. One of my friends, coming back from US, can get one for me from Ebay (BAD ESN @$200 i don't know if that is a good price?)

Have you created a guide on how to get Reliance to work on Pre?

Else, could you point me to the best guide on the web for the same?

Thanks!

Please beaware that chances of getting pre working on reliance is 50%.

I will not sugget to buy pre for using on reliance rather based on your needs choose from mogul or BB.

Please beaware that chances of getting pre working on reliance is 50%.

I will not sugget to buy pre for using on reliance rather based on your needs choose from mogul or BB.

Thanks Kshah!

In that case I will wait for the Pre GSM version to be available at a decent price.

I have tried Mogul and hated it (personal preference) and I want to stay away from BB. I feel that it kinda ties you down; does not offer the flexibility that one would like with the phone software.

Thanks!

And Happy Diwali to all!

Cheers,

^

Have you tried Touch Pro or Diamond recently... Very less bulky and much much faster than mogul; You will get full functionality and a complete phone for Reliance CDMA....

Thanks Kshah!

In that case I will wait for the Pre GSM version to be available at a decent price.

I have tried Mogul and hated it (personal preference) and I want to stay away from BB. I feel that it kinda ties you down; does not offer the flexibility that one would like with the phone software.

Thanks!

And Happy Diwali to all!

Cheers,

I dont know how much freedom palm is going to offer on GSM, but it seems to be too optimistic approach. After seeing the way handset softwares are controlled by Apple (Mac OSX ) and Web OS (Palm Pre) in CDMA.

Can you imagine a situation where for any reason if you had to hard reset your handset then you can not use your handset unless you get authenticated to PALM site. It do not offer even emergency log on to your system say for 2 or 3 days till you get data or solve your log on problem. By chance if you have official ROM then you can not log on using even wifi, you mush have unofficial ROM to log on using wifi. (I hate this kind of restrictions)

WM do not appear to be a good OS till you experience other OS and system. WM as per me is one of the best OS. THough its slower, non innovative, bulky and old OS trying to fit into new requirements. But its the best, open ended, least restrictive OS. Second best is Symbian and then may be Linux based OS. Unfortunately linux based OS are as closed and restrictive as Mac OSX.

Edited by kshah

i have been using palm pre for more than a mnth and it does offer me full functionality

if u get a brand new palm pre then chances of getting it on reliance are more than 90%

problem is that most people buy used preactivated or pre programmed palm pre from ebay for cheaper prices .

• Like 1