Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
konquerror

Difference Between Pocket Pc (ppc) And Smart Phone

What is the difference between Pocket PC (PPC) and Smart Phone?

Mainly Touch Screen.... usually smartphones are without touch screen but with a dedicated keyboard.... but the definition is very muddled now a days...

I see different versions of software for PPC and Smartphone...is there any hardware differences except Touch Screen ad Keyboard?

^

for ur definition - NO, so dont load a smartphone software on a touch based device and vice versa...

My opinion... based on owning PDA's since the Newton and my first SmartPhone was actually a Handspring Visor that had a module to give it the functionality of a CDMA phone that I purchased seperately.

A PocketPC has been reserved for PDA's that run Windows since 'PocketPC' is what they used to call the operating system version for the devices. Similar to how windows machine are commonly called PC's... even though PC just means 'Personal Computer'. i.e. A server is not a PC, despite the Operating System, yet somehow shared or public computers can still be called PC's (public computer). Mac's are actually PC's just like IBM compatibles, SPARC stations and such... Silicon Graphics work stations should probably be considered a PC, even though they are workhorses.

To eliminate the issue of operating system bias, I prefer to call PocketPC's, PDA's ( Personal Digital Assistant). Sometimes refered to as Palmtop computers,... although you can see how sometimes that is mistaken for PalmOS devices...

A SmartPhone is a mobile telephony device (Cellular, Satelite or otherwise) that also offers the advantages of a PDA. This is a VERY loose term... Currently, I suggest PDAphone for devices that only offer calendar, notes and such and can sync with a full computer. I suggest using the term SmartPhone when the OS is commonplace and programs can be written for the device that fully utilize it's abilities. Many phones have BREW or JAVA based programs that can be downloaded, but the programs have limited ability to interact with information from other portions of the phone such as camera pictures, wallpapers and ringtones,... so I don't call those SmartPhones.