Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ravi_patent

Location Based Tariffs?

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2009/11/11/stories/2009111151630100.htm

After offering seconds-based billing, mobile operators are now looking to introduce location-based tariffs that will enable users get discounts if they make calls from an area where the operator’s network is relatively free.

Called dynamic discount tariffing, the technology lets operators offer discounted call rates based on the consumer’s location and time.

For example, a mobile user driving through the busy Connaught Place in New Delhi during peak hours could get discounted rates if he waits to reach India Gate and then make the call. Subscribers get information on the discounts through SMS or by an interactive voice response system.

The technology to enable this has been brought to India by the US based pre-paid mobile platform provider Telcordia, which is now in talks with operators here.

Speaking to Business Line, Mr Anuj Kapur, Country Head, Telcordia India, said, “We have the technology and we are talking to various operators who are now looking to bring the next level of differentiation in the mobile segment. The operators are keen to implement the new tariff system and it will become a reality soon.”

While subscribers gain from discounted tariffs, operator benefits include better utilisation of network resources and increased total revenues from existing network infrastructure investments.

Similar schemes are already available in markets such as Africa where a number of operators including MTN, Vodacom and Safaricom offer between 45 per cent and 95 per cent discounted rates.

“Innovation in the Indian mobile tariff is yet to happen. So far it’s been all about a flat reduction in tariffs but as competition intensifies, we should see interesting offerings from the operators,” said Mr Ashish Sharma, Head of Telecom Practice in India for Booz & Co.

The only problem is the area in India is so congested that you get signal from a distant tower as well as from near one, and how shall it be done is some one is reaching a busy network in car from discounted one.

i think tht would be good, but how they would be doing it, is something very interesting......

i think tht would be good, but how they would be doing it, is something very interesting......

well technically speaking it's feasible it's not that tough. but i just suspect that how successfull it'll be in the cities. like in the peak hours i got stuck near CP where call rates are high and i have to talk to someone so will i wait or not

I think ur calls will not go from india gate and will go from CP.. as everyone waiting to reach India gates hence CP will be congestion free... and once u reach India gate everyone start calling.. so price will increase according to congestion... lol lots of confusion.. hahhaah

As per my information BSNL has implemented this already in Rajasthan rural areas, they have designated towers in rural areas, the local calls originating from these as only 20 paisa per minute

:previous:

Follow the below link

http://www.rajasthan.bsnl.co.in/bsnl/main/btsbased.htm

MTS has similar offering in Karnataka.

MTS India, the televenture of Sistema-Shyam yesterday reached Karnataka with a Big Bang. Karnataka gets its 3rd CDMA mobile operator after Reliance and Tata Indicom.

MTS has designed its products and services as per with the usage patterns of the different market segments like the Urban – Mass, SME(Small & Medium Enterprises) or the Rural telecom user. For eg: Mass Vanilla Plan includes lowest ever on net tariff across Karnataka (15p / min) and off net tariff across Karnataka (30p / min) on a second billing pulse. SMS tariffs for both Local and National at cheapest 30p per SMS, as an introductory offer, introducing a new level of affordability.

For Rural subscribers MTS introduces Call Tariff benefits on “Site based Charging” which is quite inspired by BSNL Rajasthan, that allows customers even in remote villages to stay connected but on tariffs that are the lowest ever in the segment (10 p /min).

source :: http://telecomtalk.info/mts-karnataka-tariff-plan/11825/

:previous:

Follow the below link

http://www.rajasthan.bsnl.co.in/bsnl/main/btsbased.htm

MTS has similar offering in Karnataka.

MTS India, the televenture of Sistema-Shyam yesterday reached Karnataka with a Big Bang. Karnataka gets its 3rd CDMA mobile operator after Reliance and Tata Indicom.

MTS has designed its products and services as per with the usage patterns of the different market segments like the Urban – Mass, SME(Small & Medium Enterprises) or the Rural telecom user. For eg: Mass Vanilla Plan includes lowest ever on net tariff across Karnataka (15p / min) and off net tariff across Karnataka (30p / min) on a second billing pulse. SMS tariffs for both Local and National at cheapest 30p per SMS, as an introductory offer, introducing a new level of affordability.

For Rural subscribers MTS introduces Call Tariff benefits on “Site based Charging” which is quite inspired by BSNL Rajasthan, that allows customers even in remote villages to stay connected but on tariffs that are the lowest ever in the segment (10 p /min).

source :: http://telecomtalk.info/mts-karnataka-tariff-plan/11825/

Thanks Kesav for the clarification! :)

:signthankspin: