Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
chandramauli

New Handsets On The Block

Hi Pals,

I found out from someone in RelianceInfocomm, that in the coming month or two some 28 CDMA mobile phone handsets are coming to the market. These phone wud consists of nokia,lg,samsung, etc...These handsets would be available in the open market in a month or two (just like how we buy gsm handests)

Some of these phone(mostly nokia models) wud have a RUIM slot (like the sim card, but will be a little bigger than the gsm cards).

We would also have had the choice of selecting the mobile operators (like reliance or tata)

Reliance wud be selling its cards for abt (Rs. 250/per card or something like that)

Edited by chandramauli

Hope its true.

But for sure, Reliance may not allow its RUIMs to be used in handsets available in open market or supplied by other operators.

For user, that will mean no discounting of handsets by operators resulting in higher handset prices.

But that may be possible in high-end handsets. That will allow operators to remove high priced handsets from their inventories.

Also this will encourage churn, that all the operators (including GSM) hate; and find no means to stop. While 0% churn rate is one of the major advantages of CDMA operators.

Sanay ...i confirmed ... not all handsets ...but a few nokia handsets are going to be RUIM based ....

TaTa & RELIANCE have RuIM cards and those handsets are going to be compatible with them

Also LG camera phone thats gonna be introduced would cost Rs 7000/- (and these arent secondhand prices ... :) )

Edited by chandramauli

man if this is true,

i m very happy,

coz for quite some time i have been thinking of changing my handset

RUIM is similar to SIM. It is manufactured with international standards. Different RUIMS may have different memory capacity but can’t vary in physical dimensions. Even today RUIM is available at all web worlds. GTran users hv it in their mobiles while others can get it by requesting for international roaming.

Handsets for TATA and Reliance can’t be same bcz of Rworld services. Getting such response from Reliance seems to be a dream with minimum probability of becoming true.

its not a difficult thing to do.

people go buy handsets from the open market & the RUIM card of whiever proiver they wish, then insert the card in ur new handset & dial @228 followed by 00 or 01 or some code, then the phone is programmed Over The Air (OTA)

or u just go into a WW with ur new handset & get them to insert ur ESN no into the system & then activate OTA.

this is like a perfect mobile world..only thing is that i wish we had handset at par with GSM handsets... i would love to see smart phones in CDMA...very very few are available.

few days back i read somewhere that reliance has been forced to pay ADC (some thing like that) to Govt. on handset cost too, becoz it is bundling handsets as a part of its service. so relaince may be under pressure to delink handset from service. it would be best for the consumer if he gets freedom to buy handset from open market and purchase a connection from any service provider/relaince just like gsm. i belive even now the TRAI rules provide for this option but operators like reliance hardly care for TRAI/govt.

If ADC thing is right then reliance indeed has to delink handset from service. Infact hanbset policy is against law of natural justice, where you paid for product still owner is not at liberty to use however he / she wishes and if reliance wants partial ownership of handset, i mean software part of it, then handset sold by reliance should be activated over network after any period of time. They may or can disconncet services but activation can not be refused.

I am studying legality of policy of RIM and indicom, later planning to form a group to initiate legal action in consumer protection forums / courts.

Bundled h/s are believed to be much cheaper as the distribution points are less.