Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ravi_patent

Uninor Launch On December 4, 2009

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSBOM45587420091202

Telenor to launch mobile operations in India on Thursday

BANGALORE, Dec 2 (Reuters) - Norwegian telecom firm Telenor will become the 12th operator in the Indian market when it launches its operations on Thursday, a company statement said.

Intense competition has been a hallmark of the telecommunications industry in the world's second-most populous country, where it is driving drastic cuts in call charges.

Last year Telenor bought into a nascent telecom firm floated by Indian realty Unitech Ltd, and it will launch its services under the Uninor brand in different parts of Asia's third-largest economy.

Telenor's move into India is likely to be followed by new launches by United Arab Emirate's Etisalat and Bahrain's Batelco BTEL.BH, as existing firms scramble to sign up users by drastically dropping call charges.

Tata Teleservices, the No. 6 operator, was the first to launch per-second billing earlier this year, deviating from the industry norm of per-minute billing. The offer was a roaring success.

Mobile services leaders Bharti Airtel, Reliance Communications and Vodafone Essar have all followed suit and launched the per-second billing that, analysts said, will significantly dent profit margins of the operators.

Last month, Telenor CEO Jon Fredrik Baksaas said the company would price its call charges in India competitively but would not be the most aggressive. The company is aiming for an 8 percent share within five years of the India launch.

Uninor launches GSM services across seven circles in India

Uninor services launched in India

2009-12-03 09:51:58 -

London, December , 03, 2009

(Fornebu/New Delhi 3 December 2009) Telenor Group's Indian mobile operation, Uninor, today announced the launch of its mobile services in seven Indian telecom circles, making it the largest single day launch in the telecom history. On the first day of service Uninor will cover a footprint of close to 600 million people.

Uninor services were launched simultaneously in the circles Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh East, Uttar Pradesh West and Bihar (including Jharkhand), making it the widest coverage any operator has launched within India. The launch of Uninor services happens eight months after Telenor Group finalized the transaction with Unitech Group and made the first investment into Uninor on 20 March.

"It has been highly satisfying to witness today's launch of Uninor services across India. By providing quality mobile services, I strongly believe that Uninor will bring about a significant and positive impact in the daily lives of its customers in India", said Jon Fredrik Baksaas, CEO and President of the Telenor Group.

"Establishing a mobile operation of this scale in record time is truly an impressive achievement. I am confident that Uninor will keep the same high momentum going forward to become a preferred provider of mobile services to the Indian population and a significant mobile operator in the Indian market. The Telenor Group is committed to this operation, and will back Uninor with our capabilities and vast experience from other markets to support a successful entry in India"

"With launch in seven circles and roaming agreements in place for the rest, we have started our service in India on day one as a pan-Indian national operator. This is a proud achievement of a committed and talented team. While our launch today is indeed a milestone in a longer journey to become a significant operator in India, we are delighted to have made such a strong start," said Stein-Erik Vellan, Managing Director of Uninor.

A model for future telecommunication operations Uninor has established an organizational model, utilizing the unique

extend of infrastructure sharing and large degree of outsourcing services available in India. With extensive use of outsourcing, Uninor has created a fast, flexible and efficient model for future growth.

"The Indian organizational model represents a new and innovative approach to setting up a light and cost-efficient telecom operation", said Mr. Jon Fredrik Baksaas. "I believe that Uninor's organizational approach will make them faster and more agile than a traditional mobile operator".

India, with its population of 1.2 billion people, represents a market with high degree of diversity between the different regions. To cater for different needs, Uninor has established a decentralised and empowered organization with 11 regional hub offices to get closer to their customers. In less than 1 year, Uninor has recruited more than

1800 employees that now are trained, prepared and inspired to meet the Indian customers demand.

"Uninor aims to provide the young ambitious Indian customers with services that help them in their daily life, and support them in fulfilling their ambitions", said Stein Erik Vellan. "Our regional offices allow us to listen to our customers' needs, and respond and act differently in each region based on our local presence and knowledge."

The Uninor launch also represents the largest ever distribution at launch by any operator in India. From the start, Uninor will be retailed at over 210,000 points of sale through close to 1000 exclusive distributors in the seven circles. Uninor services will also be available in 17 exclusive company owned shops and 50 exclusive franchisee shops.

"Ab mera number hai" Uninor will leverage from Telenor Group's established marketing and design framework. As in several other markets where the Telenor Group is present, the brand follows Telenor's brand strategy, combining the

global position of the Telenor Group with a distinct local identity.

Uninor's tagline is "Ab mera number hai" or "My time is now", set to target the young and ambitious individuals.

Celebrating the launch in the streets across India The day following the launch Uninor will make a big impact in the

streets across India, when close to 30 000 persons join the "blue wave"- parade to celebrate that Uninor services are available to the Indian people.

Glenn Mandelid, Communication Manager

Telenor Group region Asia

Tel: +66824401122

Mail: glenn.mandelid@telenor.com

Pål Kvalheim, Vice President Telenor Group

Tel: (+47) 970 44 970

Email: pal.kvalheim@telenor.com

Photos, film and presentations will be continously published at

www.telenorgroup.com/india

Uninor's web site: www.uninor.in

SOURCE: http://www.pr-inside.com/uninor-services-launched-in-india-r1613386.htm

Edited by vvinayakpai

tariff 29 p/min local and 49 p/min std

call setup fee 39 p on every 1st min of the call or daily rental of 2 is charged beside the tariff

http://www.medianama.com/2009/12/223-live-uninor-launches-in-7-circles-price-war-rs-029/

Edited by ravi_patent

call setup fee of 0.39 so 1st min costs 0.68 and thereafter 0.29/min.

is this how this thing work?

i think they should have to come up with some more aggressive tariff..

they have tough task ahead...

Edited by SantoshRoyal

lets wait & watch, who knows, this might be there initial launching tariffs, but if they fail to attract customer, they might come up with some different plans. so wait & watch.

tariff 29 p/min local and 49 p/min std

call setup fee 39 p on every 1st min of the call or daily rental of 2 is charged beside the tariff

http://www.medianama.com/2009/12/223-live-uninor-launches-in-7-circles-price-war-rs-029/

why should one pay 0.39p for each call??,

then it is similar to virgin

first 3min local or std at some rate then 50paise/min

previous.gif

thats why 2 plans

talk longer - 39p setup fee for 1st min..

call more - Rs2 per day..

i appreciate their guts to launch such tariffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I have a doubt. On the website it is mentioned that their license period is till 28/11/2014 and extendable for further period by Government of India. How did MTS get a license period valid until 2028? Also, a company like RCOM which started opertions much before Uninor, has a license expiry date of 20/7/2021?

Does this mean that they have paid Rs. 1651 crores for just 6 years assuming that they got license and the spectrum in 2008?

Edited by vvinayakpai

i appreciate their guts to launch such tariffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I appreciate your sarcasm in that line... :rofl_200: :rofl_200:

uninor is not for cheap calling. only above 250 min's calling the effective rate will be cheaper than 50p/min.see p5 of their presentation

http://www.telenor.com/en/resources/images/uninor-launch-in-india_tcm28-51392.pdf

clever tariff structure..even conservative hindubusinessline calls the tariff lowest!

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2009/12/04/stories/2009120451800202.htm

meanwhile airtel cries foul over predatory pricing

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/telecom/Bharti-now-wants-TRAI-to-look-into-predatory-pricing/articleshow/5298033.cms

Edited by ravi_patent

Airtel is going to be screwed up with predatory prices thats why they are crying like babies. Till now they have been overcharging for everything(even now in per second tariff they charge 1.2paise for calls to other networks). SHAME!!!

uninor is not for cheap calling. only above 250 min's calling the effective rate will be cheaper than 50p/min.see p5 of their presentation

Yes.. You are correct and I have just got their graph as proof and myself added details in red-coloured markings and Text to understand easily from the attached image... :winko:

Further Docomo's 1p/2sec local call @ rs54/month is much better than 29p/min @ Rs60/month.. You get calls @ 30p/min + PER SECOND advantage, even with relatively smaller rent, which I am using..

So now it is time for operators to charge 1p/2sec or 0.5p/sec AND 0.7p/sec by Airtel/Voda :rofl_200: :rofl_200: for a small Rent ranging from Rs40 to Rs100 per month...

I think Uninor's plans are leaked far earlier to Docomo, since they started 1p/2sec @ Rs54/month recently only.. :winko: :winko:

post-59799-125991849222_thumb.jpg

Not impressed with tariff structure of Uninor.

It pales in comparison with following operators.

:NOTriste::NOTriste::NOTriste:

MTS ::

Base Tariff - 1p/sec (local-offnet & STD),1p/2sec local-onnet

1p/2 Sec local(with Rs. 30 Msaver. Deducted Re.1 per day)

Virgin::

onnet local 15p/min offnet local 30p/min and STD 50p/min at daily rental of Re.1

TATA Docomo::

Base Tariff - 1p/sec (local & STD)

1p/2 sec local ( with pack value ranging from Rs.45 to Rs. 58 depending on circle)

Uninor::

29p/min local and 49p/min STD at daily rental of Re.2

Edited by kesav

Tata Docomo started the tariff war by the innovative scheme of 1p/sec. That was a bomb for all others.

Now the innovation for any new operator should be Rs. 3xx/month and all calls anywhere in India for free :).

This will ensure two things for the new operator - 1. they will be able to attract many users 2. They will have fix ARPU and that too above the established players !!

Otherwise who would go for uninor for such tariff ?

I really dont know whether this is a relevant question after seeing the initial tariffs of Uninor, but still let me take the liberty to ask.

Anyone taken/planning to take a Uninor connection?

^^^ I dont think so :grin:

Everybody here wants to ask this same question... :rofl_200: But nobody here is ready to answer/buy an uninor connection.. :Riendo: :Riendo:

I really dont know whether this is a relevant question after seeing the initial tariffs of Uninor, but still let me take the liberty to ask.

Connection will be available from 9th of December onwards

I have a doubt. On the website it is mentioned that their license period is till 28/11/2014 and extendable for further period by Government of India. How did MTS get a license period valid until 2028? Also, a company like RCOM which started opertions much before Uninor, has a license expiry date of 20/7/2021?

Does this mean that they have paid Rs. 1651 crores for just 6 years assuming that they got license and the spectrum in 2008?

My doubt has been cleared. The Uninor website has been updated and now the license period is shown until January 24th, 2028!!!!!

National sms at Rs. 1.49???????????

Uninor really has to start putting on their thinking caps!!!!!!!!

My doubt has been cleared. The Uninor website has been updated and now the license period is shown until January 24th, 2028!!!!!

National sms at Rs. 1.49???????????

Uninor really has to start putting on their thinking caps!!!!!!!!

well buisness is not about Board Room. business can be build only when you stand in front of customers.

Apple did the mistake of Board ROOM while launching the phone in indian market. sameway uninor is doing. Tata CDMA also didn't got success because of that.

so don't be surprised by these offers

Got roaming tariff of Uninor... SAME as AIRTEL's :Contento: roaming @ 60p/80p on own network :rofl_200: and 1/1/1.5 on other network :Riendo:

Here is the link (A pdf file)....

I think we are wasting our time discussing about uninor's tariff. Let them come to earth before we discuss about it.