Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
me_saket

Samsung Corby Speed CDMA Launched

Awaiting more reviews. Wonderful phone. Now people would definitely be forced to change their outlook towards CDMA

i got this phone at 9K in bangalore yesterday. i need help on couple of points.

* within couple of seconds of call connection, the phone's backlight is off indicating the screen is locked(unlike nokia where a dim backlight will be there throughout the conversation).. is there any means to keep it on atleast for couple of mins. i tried working on the backlight settings, but of no use.

* also while doing R&D (first time using samsung phone), i got the music player menubar on the screen which i am not able to remove. can anyone tell me how to remove this.(i have attached the photo - not very clear)

To remove music player from home screen, tap on music player and drag & drop to menu bar which auto-hides it self. You're done :)

thanks Pranav.

i was able to remove the music player from the screen..

any idea how to increase the backlight time...screen automatically gets locked...

^^ very difficult ..considering that omh is not known to even web world guys ..then wht abt ordinary ones..was there any info campaign abt OMH 's? no. common folks will still be under the impression that cdma handsets are locked..

:previous:

Valid Question.

Only company which is really promoting OMH is Samsung.

No other operators or handset manufacturers are running campaign on OMH.

Don't they feel it's their duty to do so.....

It's really surprising..:confuse: :confuse:

^^ very difficult ..considering that omh is not known to even web world guys ..then wht abt ordinary ones..was there any info campaign abt OMH 's? no. common folks will still be under the impression that cdma handsets are locked..

i brought from WW

it was avilable in WW easily,

but guys were unkown about OMH

i just ask new sim, and then i look for logo.

when asked what is meaning of logo, they don't know?

yes..very true. many people do not know abt OMH. this is really hampering the growth of CDMA subscriber base.

Can any body tell if this phone supports whitelist/ blacklist. I mean can you block specific callers or allow only specific callers.

Here is OMH Logo Picture and RUIM Card Scanned Images from Both Sides

In your attached pics, I didn't find OMH logo in the SIM.

It's present only the throw-away plastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

i checked with WW guys near my home & they told that the sim (with diamond logo on the throw away plastic) is not the one for corby & there will be two logos...new news....

can any one using the diamond logo sim confirm this....

by the way, everyone calls this sim as "corby sim" rather than OMH sim...

^^^ Which WW is this ?

Ill take away those single logo RUIMs if they are hardly bothered about it.

Here is OMH Logo Picture and RUIM Card Scanned Images from Both Sides

In your attached pics, I didn't find OMH logo in the SIM.

It's present only the throw-away plastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

yes my sim also have two logo

one at front and other at back.

same sim as hetal has posted

i checked with WW guys near my home & they told that the sim (with diamond logo on the throw away plastic) is not the one for corby & there will be two logos...new news....

can any one using the diamond logo sim confirm this....

by the way, everyone calls this sim as "corby sim" rather than OMH sim...

yes my sim also have two logo

one at front and other at back.

same sim as hetal has posted

^^^ Oh c'mon.. its all the same.

Already there's so much confusion on OMH RUIMs.

Now we have another issue - 1 or 2 Logos ? Confuso.gif

thanx @SRK... I am not good at writing reviews.. but will give some good and bad points about the phone soon...

@ACS... I asked MTS customer care and MTS dealer about the OMH sim but they were not aware of OMH.. They were like.... "can u please spell OMH" and then i told them the meaning of OMH and spelled it for them... O for orange, M for Monkey and H for horse... I am still laughing onmyself for doing that stupid thing...

also, sum people are saying that a blank OMH sim comes with the pack, but their was no OMH sim with my mobile.. It was sealed box packed...

Box containes:

1 Handset

1 Battery

1 2GB micro sd card free (inserted inside the handset)

1 Charger

1 Mic

1 Headphone

1 USB Cable

2 extra fashion jackets

1 leather pouch

1 Manual

2 Samsung PC suite CD (usb driver and manuals in first, and pc suite in second disk)

1) I hated the thing that there is only one connector in this mobile which is used to connect USB cable, Charger and Headphone... So only one thing can be used at time i suppose..

2) Sound quality is so-so... i m comparing it with my x-phone nokia 6110 Navigator

3) Ringtone quality (when phone rings) is worst.. It feels like a cheap 3K-4K mobile is ringing

4) Camera quality is good (compared to 2MP camera of 6110 Navigator) even it is not having flash..

5) Mic and headset are supplied as two attachments.. I didnt liked this. Mic should be inbuilt in the headset cable. Whats the point of having a cable which carries only mic, and another cable carrying only headphone.. and then connect them both together... :confuse:

6) Touch screen is fast and responsive... But overall phone speed is ok-ok... Music player takes time to load..

7) It is java enabled, and i installed few applications on it. But the problem is the application should be touch screen compatible. I loaded few apps in which no virtual keypad popped out, and i was not able to type anything and finally have to quite the app and uninstall it...

8) Contact managment (phonebook) is awsome... Can create groups, can send a single message to whole group (group sending). can also deselect few contacts from group to which u dont want to send sms ...

9) Hinglish dictionary is available when writing messages, also keypad can be either standard, qwerty or handwriting recognition.. But i personally liked the standard keypad coz qwerty keypad takes lot of space and thus the size of individual key is reduced. and it gets very hard to press the correct key

10) Calendar is having all the hindu festivals pre-marked.. (can see on which diwali falls next year...)

11) other things like, memo, calculator, convertor, alarm, schedular etc are just the normal ones we see on many mobile phones...

This was the first time i wrote such a long review about a mobile, so did many foolish mistakes. i apologise for the same.. Will send more notes very soon as i get some more time to explore the mobile... Thanx a lot....

• Like 1

* within couple of seconds of call connection, the phone's backlight is off indicating the screen is locked(unlike nokia where a dim backlight will be there throughout the conversation).. is there any means to keep it on atleast for couple of mins. i tried working on the backlight settings, but of no use.

* also while doing R&D (first time using samsung phone), i got the music player menubar on the screen which i am not able to remove. can anyone tell me how to remove this.(i have attached the photo - not very clear)

To remove music player from home screen, tap on music player and drag & drop to menu bar which auto-hides it self. You're done :)

thanks Pranav.

any idea how to increase the backlight time...screen automatically gets locked...

to increase backlight time:

menu->settings->display and light->backlight time..... select from 8 sec to 10 min whichever suites u....

if u dont want the autolock feature:

menu->settings->touch panel-> turn auto lock to "off"......... thats it....

when i go in the main menu customization mode, is there any way to bring the shortcut of one application from one main menu screen to anoher so that all the usefull applications are on the first page of main menu ?? for example "voice recorder" is on the second screen of main menu... can it be brought to first screen (and moving "alarm" from first screen to second screen) ??

i guess this phone supports three standby screen wallpapers but not like samsung star... in samsung star a single file is used as a wallpaper

, and thus we need to create a file which can fit on three screens.. but in this cell, wen we go to select wallpaer, the wallpaper of that standby screen changes from which we entered the menu.. to change wallpaper of other screen.. first go to that standby screen, then go to menu and change wallpaer section, and then choose the wallpaper....

bakwaas hai... there should be an option in wallpaper selection screen from which we can select wallpaper for all the three screens at one go....

Can any body tell if this phone supports whitelist/ blacklist. I mean can you block specific callers or allow only specific callers.

yup.. supports blacklist...

• Like 1

:) Got my corby speed !!!!

Nice looking, small, attractive... Nice user interface too (thank got it have themes beside the cartoon UI.. I hate that cartoon UI)

Got it for 8800 from Jaipur...

Now trying to understand the functions as this is my first Samsung mobile phone...

finally u got speed at jaipur..

Box containes:

1 Handset

1 Battery

1 2GB micro sd card free (inserted inside the handset)

1 Charger

1 Mic

1 Headphone

1 USB Cable

2 extra fashion jackets

1 leather pouch

1 Manual

2 Samsung PC suite CD (usb driver and manuals in first, and pc suite in second disk)

1) I hated the thing that there is only one connector in this mobile which is used to connect USB cable, Charger and Headphone... So only one thing can be used at time i suppose..

2) Sound quality is so-so... i m comparing it with my x-phone nokia 6110 Navigator

3) Ringtone quality (when phone rings) is worst.. It feels like a cheap 3K-4K mobile is ringing

4) Camera quality is good (compared to 2MP camera of 6110 Navigator) even it is not having flash..

5) Mic and headset are supplied as two attachments.. I didnt liked this. Mic should be inbuilt in the headset cable. Whats the point of having a cable which carries only mic, and another cable carrying only headphone.. and then connect them both together... :confuse:

6) Touch screen is fast and responsive... But overall phone speed is ok-ok... Music player takes time to load..

7) It is java enabled, and i installed few applications on it. But the problem is the application should be touch screen compatible. I loaded few apps in which no virtual keypad popped out, and i was not able to type anything and finally have to quite the app and uninstall it...

8) Contact managment (phonebook) is awsome... Can create groups, can send a single message to whole group (group sending). can also deselect few contacts from group to which u dont want to send sms ...

9) Hinglish dictionary is available when writing messages, also keypad can be either standard, qwerty or handwriting recognition.. But i personally liked the standard keypad coz qwerty keypad takes lot of space and thus the size of individual key is reduced. and it gets very hard to press the correct key

10) Calendar is having all the hindu festivals pre-marked.. (can see on which diwali falls next year...)

11) other things like, memo, calculator, convertor, alarm, schedular etc are just the normal ones we see on many mobile phones...

This was the first time i wrote such a long review about a mobile, so did many foolish mistakes. i apologise for the same.. Will send more notes very soon as i get some more time to explore the mobile... Thanx a lot....

i have seen box, ,there was written in contains

3 data kit??

wat is that??

Review is good, now i can undestand phone much

but haven't mentioned about OMH sim

Data service,

battery back up,

compatibilibity with older non-OMH sim?

which java application u have installed. which is not running.

can u upload picture for, testing quality.

wat can done if want to use usb cable+headset+charger, or any two thing simulteneously,

if connected to computer, whether it is being charged from data cable.

^^^ Which WW is this ?

Ill take away those single logo RUIMs if they are hardly bothered about it.

near basaweshwaranagar...he was having loads of it(diamond logo on throw away plastic) & charging Rs 100 per sim.

he meant 2 logos on the same side....may be he was not very clear...anyways..what i understand by seeing the posts is that this is the same one which is used to be for accessing the data...so i will purchase one today/tomorrow.

thanks Pranav.

to increase backlight time:

menu->settings->display and light->backlight time..... select from 8 sec to 10 min whichever suites u....

if u dont want the autolock feature:

menu->settings->touch panel-> turn auto lock to "off"......... thats it....

tried...but no luck..within couple of secs, the bright light changes to dim light (with screen lock) & then backlight goes off..

@ANKUR1986

Does this handset support Phonebook transfer from Nokia to Samsung

As i am thinking to buy it.....Please try to reply soon

i brought from WW

it was avilable in WW easily,

but guys were unkown about OMH

i just ask new sim, and then i look for logo.

when asked what is meaning of logo, they don't know?

[/quote

Saket, could you pls confirm if you were able to access the data (EVDO) by using the new sim (with diamond logo on throw away plastic).

Sorry...i might have already raised this point many times..i just wanted to reconfirm since all the three WW whom i visited were very confident in saying that this is not the sim to be used for corby (OMH sim). they were indicating that OMH will be written on the sim

:previous:

sorry dear, nagraj,

but i have bought only sim, card, handset is yet buy,

waiting for good reselase value for my old spice c810 handset,

so can't test.

will update u shortly

i have seen box, ,there was written in contains

3 data kit??

wat is that??

Review is good, now i can undestand phone much

but haven't mentioned about OMH sim

Data service,

battery back up,

compatibilibity with older non-OMH sim?

which java application u have installed. which is not running.

can u upload picture for, testing quality.

wat can done if want to use usb cable+headset+charger, or any two thing simulteneously,

if connected to computer, whether it is being charged from data cable.

i was also confused about the "3 data kit" but the dealer said that its just serial numer (i doubt that).. but thats also obvious that 2 data cable cant come with a single cell..

I am not having OMH sim, so cant comment on it , and on data services.. Only calls and text messaging can be used on non-OMH UIM.. Cant access internet or any other data service...

I installed SBI Freedom (mobile banking application of SBI), SMS Chat and few games but non of them worked coz virtual keypad dont popup, and the options in the applications are not touch sensitive..

Will upload a pic taken by it soon ...

I also dont know how to use usb cable+charger+headset at same time .. I think it can be possible with use of some kind of Multiconnector type thing.. but i doubt such thing exist.. so wen the phone is charging, i cant listen music, cant connect it to pc.... I hate that....

Yes it charges via usb cable connected to Pc.. But the charging speed is very slow....

And yaa about the battery life, battery is good (standby time).. lasted for about 13 hours with medium usage.... didnt called too much so i m not sure about the call time... But a big problem is that the charging speed is too slow.. It took 3 hours to get it fully charged....

@ANKUR1986

Does this handset support Phonebook transfer from Nokia to Samsung

As i am thinking to buy it.....Please try to reply soon

well there is an options to tranfer phonebook from nokia to corby,....

1) copy all the contacts from ur nokia phone to ur harddisk using nokia pc suite ... (creates .vcf files for individual contacts).. after that copy those .vcf files to ur corby using samsung pc suite... (it supports .vcf files)... i transferred all the contacts from my nokia cell to corby using this method..

May be outlook synchronization also works.. I havent tried that....

Edited by ankur1986

@ankur

Thanks for details reviws, and ur effort.

13 hrs is low, even not 1 full day :NOTriste:

wat about group sms??

good to see that it support .vcf for phonebook.

plz revew inernet, get OMH sim from dealer.distributor. etc